Anti farming bot suggestion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OrcishFury.1058

OrcishFury.1058

I’ve been thinking about ways that the rampant underground farming bots could be mitigated as it is near impossible to report them individually since their names only flash up on the screen for a split second so here is my suggestion regarding the issue:

Dear devs, why don’t you create an instant death field beneath every gatherable node? The area would only have to be as small as the interaction range of the node and it wouldn’t affect anyone but the bots.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I’ve been thinking about ways that the rampant underground farming bots could be mitigated as it is near impossible to report them individually since their names only flash up on the screen for a split second so here is my suggestion regarding the issue:

Dear devs, why don’t you create an instant death field beneath every gatherable node? The area would only have to be as small as the interaction range of the node and it wouldn’t affect anyone but the bots.

Since they teleport around, they’ed just have to adjust where they teleport to.

OrcishFury.1058

Since they teleport around, they’ed just have to adjust where they teleport to.

Yes, but the instant death zone would force them to stay above the ground. Being above the ground means that it is possible to properly report them.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

I’ve an even better idea!

Just make the nodes ask you if you want to mine them. It works with throwing things away … useless worthless things … “Are you sure you want to get rid of this worthless trinket that no one uses?”

Sorry.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I type /ip into chat and get the map’s IP number. I then report underground harvesting bots by map IP#, date, server time and my location on the map. Support should be able to pull up the information and check for underground bots.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: CedarDog.9723

CedarDog.9723

Seriously, why should anyone have to report them? ANet could just implement some code server-side to track whether or not people are teleporting around for node farming, etc. And frankly, I’d be really surprised if they don’t have something like that in place already.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Seriously, why should anyone have to report them? ANet could just implement some code server-side to track whether or not people are teleporting around for node farming, etc. And frankly, I’d be really surprised if they don’t have something like that in place already.

They do.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Because botters talk to each other and trade ideas on how to escape detection from computer programs. Ideas that the Devs haven’t thought of and don’t know about till they look.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

If they want to stop underground farming bots why don’t they just make nodes require Line of sight and pathing to them to harvest? (ie, if you can’t shadowstep to it, you can’t harvest it.)

Posted by: pyrates.5684

pyrates.5684

I heard from somewhere that captchas are a very popular thing to implement, like say, every third node, to prevent a small minority of controlling the market ;p

Posted by: Milkshake.4038

Milkshake.4038

I heard from somewhere that captchas are a very popular thing to implement, like say, every third node, to prevent a small minority of controlling the market ;p

That hurts!

I think anet can easily ban these bots, even if they let them farm for a few days it is because they are collecting data about newer versions of the bots.

OrcishFury.1058

If they want to stop underground farming bots why don’t they just make nodes require Line of sight and pathing to them to harvest? (ie, if you can’t shadowstep to it, you can’t harvest it.)

This is actually a really great idea, a line of sight requirement certainly wouldn’t take too much programming to implement and it definitely would be more elegant than the instant death zone I suggested.

Posted by: Millssta.9064

Millssta.9064

Or just give JAGEX a call, they destroyed the ENTIRE RuneScape botting scene overnight with one of there developed anti botting softwares.

Pretty funny to see actually. It just killed any bot that was in game, then the system perma banned them and there ip, and the bots around at the time were extremely advanced pieces of software.!

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Bot_Nuke_Day

I Don’t Main, 100% Alt

(edited by Millssta.9064)

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Or just give JAGEX a call, they destroyed the ENTIRE RuneScape botting scene overnight with one of there developed anti botting softwares.

Pretty funny to see actually. It just killed any bot that was in game, then the system perma banned them and there ip, and the bots around at the time were extremely advanced pieces of software.!

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Bot_Nuke_Day

Epic