Anti-stack suggestions

Anti-stack suggestions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Admiral Ursa.8391

Admiral Ursa.8391

I don’t know if this subject has been discussed before, but I believe one of the big turn offs of the game (no accusation meant, I play the game daily and enjoy it 100%), a thing that destroys immersion etc, is the stacking of all players in one position.
This is most annoying in dungeons, where specific spots exist in almost all fights, making hugely beneficial to stack (buffs, block etc) killing bosses much faster and safely. I think that during stacking each character loses its identity and the customization of your character is completely lost during the fight.
So I made this topic to gather any suggestions to remove the stacking mechanic from the game, but keeping at the same time the aoe buffs, I.e. expanding their range.
Right now I can think of two ways of removing stacking. The first is to make player models not penetratable (so that one character can’t walk through another as if it is a ghost). This solution might increase a lot the computational cost. So the second idea is that when 5 players are stack on one, a huge aoe instant attack comes from the boss and hits for half life.
Concluding, do you also find stacking like a turn off? Can you come up with other ideas to prevent this tactic?

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

http://goo.gl/Mj8g2K

Topic’s been done to death hundreds and hundreds of times.

Most pug groups in dungeons stack because they’re clueless and don’t realise that the only reason to pull bosses to LOS spots was to use fiery rush, a skill that was nerfed on September 9th, 2014. That was a long time ago.

Sometimes it’s beneficial to stack on top of one another, as it enables easier access to boons/sharing group utilities, which makes stacking part of the game’s combat design.

Unfortunately for you if you don’t like it you’re forced to either:
a) play another game
b) make your own LFG that says “no stacking.”

Anti-stack suggestions

Admiral Ursa.8391

Thank you for the fast reply, as i said it doesn’t really makes the game unplayable so that i must play another game.
If this is already beaten to death as you said then its okay. I completely understand the stacking helps with boons/utilities, blocks etc, but if a way was found to spread the boons in a wider area, not too big either, then stacking could be reduced, and players would just be near one to another.

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Sarabande.8260

Sarabande.8260

Thank you for the fast reply, as i said it doesn’t really makes the game unplayable so that i must play another game.

Don’t worry. Him saying all that despite you clearly stating you still enjoy the game then going on to post some cheesy gif of some trite, worn-out forum saying about ‘beating a dead horse’ is just a tactic to make you upset or feel bad for posting your thoughts about the game.

I agree with you in that stacking can be somewhat immersion breaking and it does sometimes feel like a shoddy way to do a boss fight. I just usually go with the flow and kill the boss however the group wants to kill it because for me arguing with people in the game is even more immersion breaking still. It would be nice if non-stacking fights were designed in the future.

Anti-stack suggestions

Admiral Ursa.8391

Maybe we will be lucky and see them in the new expansion, where we are promised for some fights of greater challenge than the existing ones.
Also many rumors have been heard about some raids being designed. So maybe in the future, more complex battles will be designed and this mechanic may change.

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Concluding, do you also find stacking like a turn off? Can you come up with other ideas to prevent this tactic?

No, I don’t find stacking a turn off because sometimes it is extremely beneficial. I also don’t find it a turn off because I run with people who think along the same lines.

No, becasue there’s no logical reason to prevent this tactic since it is in the groups best interest to be near one-another to share buffs. To do otherwise to is go against the game’s design.

Perhaps you should try to do what I did and find people to run with who think the same as you do. If you find yourself in the minority then please do not try to ruin the game for the majority who like/use the tactic because (as stated above) it’s pretty much built into the combat system the Developers chose to use.

The new content will not be much different unless you remove the goal of an instance or event from killing something that does damage to you to something else. If there is a healthpool then expect there to be close combat between players, stacking or close to it, to share buffs to boost DPS.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

(edited by thefantasticg.3984)

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

There is a difference between staying close to each other and stacking. While the first one is almost always welcome, there aren’t that much places where stacking is that awesome. But it prevents me from Backstabing…

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Don’t worry. Him saying all that despite you clearly stating you still enjoy the game then going on to post some cheesy gif of some trite, worn-out forum saying about ‘beating a dead horse’ is just a tactic to make you upset or feel bad for posting your thoughts about the game.

I agree with you in that stacking can be somewhat immersion breaking and it does sometimes feel like a shoddy way to do a boss fight. I just usually go with the flow and kill the boss however the group wants to kill it because for me arguing with people in the game is even more immersion breaking still. It would be nice if non-stacking fights were designed in the future.

No actually, me posting that gif was just reinforcement of my statement that this topic has been done to death literally hundreds of times.

I wasn’t trying to make anyone feel bad. If anyone should feel that way, it should be the person that’s intentionally trying to get the OP to misinterpret me in an attempt to belittle me.

I explained to him all that was needed to be explained for them to have a better idea of what their options are along with explaining that the notion of stacking in plenty of cases within dungeons isn’t actually efficient because there isn’t a fiery rush to kill bosses with anymore. Since most people don’t know this they just do it without knowing why and assume that something magical happens that makes everything die faster, when the reality is that LOSing bosses is a massive time waste unless it helps eliminate trash mobs/keep a boss that frequently moves around in place (i.e. Fyonna in TA up).

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Out of curiosity, how is stacking immersion breaking? I see people using that phrase often to critique things that they don’t like. Quite often the usage doesn’t make much sense.

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Expanding the range of AoE boons would reduce the coordination needed to benefit from them. Reducing the need for coordination is a step towards an easier experience. I do not think that’s what dungeons need at this time.

Anti-stack suggestions

Admiral Ursa.8391

Out of curiosity, how is stacking immersion breaking? I see people using that phrase often to critique things that they don’t like. Quite often the usage doesn’t make much sense.

By breaking immersion for that exact matter, i mean that two persons cannot exist one in another one like they are ghosts.

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

they should bring back diseases like this.

apply disease to one target , (acts like Anti Regen builds up damage while using duration rather than condi damage)

it spreads every 2-5 ticks to foes nearby (130 yards basicly touching distance) spreading the disease renews its duration.

two ways to cure diseases , stack and cure in one go with risk of someone being missed it will spread at a slower rate effecting less people only to spread faster. or Spread out to 300yards keeping that 130yard gap to avoid getting disease again.

this old condition was so much fun to use against those Monks that spammed Regen , though now there is no monks.

i’d class the Main ball of a zerg like a Monks healing circle its all safe in that ball of fur and diseases could break it up for a short amount of time.

i don’;t find stacking off putting but it is very boring having to use the same tactics over and over , pushing this disease idea could input some group tactics out of the box instead of just spamming blasts and fields.

(edited by Zenos Osgorma.2936)

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Rage.9723

Rage.9723

I agree about stacking and things feeling too crowded. Not much one can do to avoid stacking and still having competitive runs. The Ascalonian Catacombs implemented some anti stack measures already and that seems to have worked out well.

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Boon sharing is all gravy, but the primary reason to LoS/stack is to make the most of cleaving/AoE damage against trash mobs. Serious dungeon runners haven’t been doing this for much else since FGS was nerfed in September. Find a better group of people to run with.

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

One does not simply turn on character collision.

Anti-stack suggestions

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Stacking is fine. The game is fine.

If you don’t want to stack don’t.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”