Any Tips for a Noob?

Any Tips for a Noob?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arnuf.5136

Arnuf.5136

So I’m new to this game (Client hasn’t even downloaded yet) and I was wondering…

What should I know before entering the land of Tyria?

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

Have fun! Welcome to Tyria.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Play what you want. Don’t play what others want you to play.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Check this thread. Some of it might be out of date due to changes over the years but still some good stuff:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OMG-If-you-only-knew-this-tips-for-new-players/

The Burninator

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Well… there is no kill/resource node stealing. Many skills can be used on the move. Do not rush leveling. “exp” in lfg means “experienced” and not “explorable”. AP means achievement points. Try to upgrade weapons every 5 levels and armor at least every 10 levels. People are usually friendly so you can ask your questions in /map chat. Exploration is good way to get some xp.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Arnuf.5136

Thx!

Hearing good stuff so far!

Any Tips for a Noob?

Arnuf.5136

Thank you JustTrogdor! The guide was VERY Helpful!

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

You should remember to sleep and eat. It’s addicting. I haven’t slept in over 2 years.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: MithrilSoul.5049

MithrilSoul.5049

For the most part, you should do fine through most of your leveling just by using weapons and armor you are getting as drops and as quest (or level-up) rewards. Every 10 levels your “personal story” quest line opens up; during your early/mid levels make that a priority because often the rewards are very good.

One of the first things you should do once you have even a little coin is to buy a stack of the basic (cheapest) harvesting implements (copper pick for metals, copper axe for wood, copper sickle for plants) and harvest everything you come across. As you go to higher zones you will eventually need to buy the next tier implements (iron) and so forth as you continue to level. You will know if you are trying to use a too-low-quality implement because instead of giving you the proper result, it will give you worthless junk called “ruined wood” or “ruined plant fiber” rather than what you should be harvesting.

Early on, make getting skill points (the blue, sort-of diamond shaped things on your maps) a priority. You want to build up skill points so that once your various skill utility slots start opening up, you will be able to buy the skills that sound the most interesting/useful to you. Once you have exhausted them in whatever newbie zone you start in (based on your race), don’t be afraid to take the free portal to Lion’s Arch and then from Lion’s Arch the free portals to the other racial newbie zones to go get the skill points on those maps as well. Don’t worry about trying to finish all the quests in those zones or anything, just run around the maps and try to earn the skill points.

Early on, practice using the different weapons that your profession can use. Likely you will eventually settle in on one or two that you really like and fit your personality & playstyle, but the early levels are the times to experiment and figure out all the various different attack skills that correspond to each weapon. At level 15 you gain the ability to have two different weapons (or weapon combos) slotted that you can switch between even in combat. This opens up a lot more flexibility when fighting.

By level 19, you will have the ability to switch weapons in combat, plus have all three utility skill slots unlocked. Life gets easier (and more interesting) once that is the case. Skill-wise, the only thing that remains to be unlocked at that point is your elite skill slot, which pops at lvl 31.

If you have crafting mats in your bags, you don’t have to run back to a town to find a vault to store them. You can just right-click the gear at the top-right of your bags and choose “deposit all materials.” Your bank vault has a whole separate page just for crafting materials—don’t do what I did as a noob and manually put them in your regular vault!

Most of all, have fun. Try out different professions, different races. Lots of good options. Lots to do and see in the game, so enjoy your time here.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

Find a guild you like. Don’t join because you think you have to. Try all the classes and races before choosing. Most importantly enjoy yourself. If you need help message me in game. Be happy to assist when I can.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Ark.6839

Ark.6839

Going to leave this here, since some more tips were given in this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Any-advice-for-someone-new-to-this-game/first#post4969192

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Terissimo.6852

Terissimo.6852

So I’m new to this game (Client hasn’t even downloaded yet) and I was wondering…

What should I know before entering the land of Tyria?

Have fun. If you have any questions feel free to msg me ingame. :P

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Pay attention to your gear while leveling. If it gets more than 10 levels below you, it should probably be upgraded. Fortunately you’ll get a decent bit of level-appropriate gear from loot. Just keep an eye on it. If you feel underpowered, it’s probably old gear.

DPS is generally more valuable in PvE than anything else. As you’re leveling, you should be fine just using the gear you get along the way, but keep in mind that Power is a great stat to invest in for PvE.

Active defenses are paramount to your survival. Dodge, block, blind, anything that prevents you from taking a hit or reduces incoming damage is better than just eating it and trying to recover.

Speaking of which, do yourself a favor and turn off “double-tap to evade” before you get used to it. Unless you really, really like it.. but it limits your ability to position yourself precisely, so I would highly recommend binding dodge to a single button.

That’s all I can really think of for now. I main Guardian, so if you have any questions specifically about that, feel free to add me in-game! I’m Eastern time zone, mostly on for Teq at server reset and then dailies.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

And back to basics – Beginner’s Guide to Mobility

Maybe the most important video for every new GW2 player, also check for keybind vids on Youtube.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

heres a guide you can checkout for noob

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

Harvest EVERYTHING. After you have enough for personal crafting, you can sell the excess in the Trading Company. Even lowest level crafting supplies can net you good money.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Number one tip: Don’t rush leveling to 80! This is the number one mistake people make that come from other games (If you did play other MMO’s). Just take your time, explore, enjoy the game. Level 80 will be the same kind of stuff except you have more freedom of choice and access to more things but there is no kind of ‘rush to end-game to experience the fun stuff’ kind of grind thing.

If you take it easy and enjoy the world, maybe talk to NPC, look in nooks and crannies, and you’ll find it’s a lot more diverse and interesting than most other MMO’s with a lot of surprises and secrets waiting to be uncovered! and the best part you will gain xp and rewards for EVERYTHING! Have fun!

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Servers really aren’t a big deal apart from world versus world. So don’t worry about so much about picking one. You can still group and party and guild with anyone from any server.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Any Tips for a Noob?

Posted by: DoIKnowYou.3896

DoIKnowYou.3896

Have fun. You get experience for everything.
Find a good guild.
And HAVE FUN!
Welcome to Tyria!

Active Gw2 member who is ready to venture into the jungle! :)