Any chance for Spears used on land?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kam.4092

Kam.4092

I know it’s an underwater weapon, but it’s also a weapon that should be able to be used on land.

It could be more on the support side for maybe a Guardian, then more on the DPS side for something like a Warrior.

It could be a mix of ranged and melee. I think introducing new weapons would be a great addition to the game also.

Like, there is no Greataxe in the game, flail, or even a crossbow.

I know this isn’t likely to ever happen, but the thought of a support Guardian with a spear, like a Paragon from GW1 sounds awesome, and a DPS Warrior with a Greataxe sounds brutal. A Revenant could use a flail and channel another God like Balthazar.

Just some thoughts.

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Polearm

Kam.4092

Polearm

Yeah, that would probably be a better name, and would work out more

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

A Revenant could use a flail and channel another God like Balthazar

Revs don’t have anything to do with the gods.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

Yes, they did state at some point that they will add more elite specializations, so this is a possibility…
Here’s for hoping we’ll get it with the next expansion or LS S3

When the reverent can channel demons, and dead people, why not gods? It would be a nice way to have something akin to the dervish “Avatar forms” back…

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Posted by: Tahm.8290

Tahm.8290

Yes, they did state at some point that they will add more elite specializations, so this is a possibility…

When the reverent can channel demons, and dead people, why not gods? It would be a nice way to have something akin to the dervish “Avatar forms” back…

They channel dead spirits that have gone to the mists, so nothing to do with gods.

~Basil Starshower~
~Worst Tempest NA~
~Skritt Kings~

Zelanard.5806

They channel dead spirits that have gone to the mists, so nothing to do with gods.

Dead spirits go to the underworld, the realm of Grenth within the mists. Mallyx the Unyielding is not a dead spirit he is a demon from the Domain of anguish in the realm of torment. This was the domain of Abaddon the god of secrets, until he were killed and his power taken by Kormir the current god of truth.
So, we can conclude without any question, that we are already channeling one being from the Domain of Anguish in the realm of torment. We do channel at least three other spirits, from the underworld, which is the domain of Grenth, the what? third? and current god of Death. We also know that the Dervish was able to become avatars of the gods, and not only can humans become avatars, they can also kill and become gods, in accordance to Guild wars lore.
If you look to the fantasy universe, an Avatar is someone possessed by a higher being, much like a Revenant in guild wars 2. Thus we can conclude that it is both in accordance with guild wars lore, and in accordance with the Revenants abilities, to channel gods…

Zelanard.5806

I am not saying this will happen, just that it is possible within the frame of lore and game play…
The “human gods” are only worshipped by humans, but they are (Sylvari excepted) recognized by the other races.
We already channel Sylvari’s equivalent to a god, in terms of culture. Thus, it wouldn’t be too far off to assume that this could happen…

Zelanard.5806

It would not be too far off to think that we can get to channel the spirits of the wilds, Humans have been known to do this before. (you could do so in gw1).
It is also possible that we could get to channel the titans, nightmares, shadows, oni, Envoys and whatever other strange demonic creatures lurk in the countless realms within the mists…

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

New elites that use underwater weapons on land. Harpoon guns are under utilized.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I’ve also wished if it would happen, but as far as I know, there’s been negative response from ANet on giving spears land based use.

Artistically, Spear weapon skins do contain Halberds (spear+axe, probably your “Great Axe” here), Glaives (single edged blade affixed on the polearm), Spears, Pikes and etc.

And as said before: Polearms.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

The Greyhawk.9107

Dead spirits go to the underworld, the realm of Grenth within the mists. Mallyx the Unyielding is not a dead spirit he is a demon from the Domain of anguish in the realm of torment. This was the domain of Abaddon the god of secrets, until he were killed and his power taken by Kormir the current god of truth.
So, we can conclude without any question, that we are already channeling one being from the Domain of Anguish in the realm of torment. We do channel at least three other spirits, from the underworld, which is the domain of Grenth, the what? third? and current god of Death. We also know that the Dervish was able to become avatars of the gods, and not only can humans become avatars, they can also kill and become gods, in accordance to Guild wars lore.
If you look to the fantasy universe, an Avatar is someone possessed by a higher being, much like a Revenant in guild wars 2. Thus we can conclude that it is both in accordance with guild wars lore, and in accordance with the Revenants abilities, to channel gods…

Sorry, but you’re a bit off base here.
First off, Mallyx being originally from DoA and not the Underworld doesn’t mean much since he’s dead. He dies at the end of the DoA quest-chain. So in that regard he’s no different from the others Revs’ channel. So, no, we can’t “conclude without question”. Honestly, that’s not a good statement to make.
Honestly, Revs aren’t like Dervs and their ability to channel the power of the human gods. Revs are much more like Ritualists, they draw power directly from the Mists, and the spirits that reside there. Obviously how said power is used is vastly different between the two professions.

Hate is Fuel.

Zelanard.5806

My point still stand. and i have nothing more to add.

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

guys guys, none of the legends are dead; you can still pop in to guild wars 1 and check’em out! and then kill them. or watch them die. over and over

The Greyhawk.9107

Fine, go ahead and ignore what I said without giving any counterpoints.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I don’t see the point in using underwater weapons on-land when we now have two classes with melee staves. Maybe have throwing staves, but that’s about it.

Plus, what would the image be like when someone lands a critical hit with a Kamohoali’i Kotaki and a shark comes up from the soil?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Zelanard.5806

Fine, go ahead and ignore what I said without giving any counterpoints.

I see no point in engaging in a fruitless argument… so will do…

Kam.4092

I like how a simple suggestion turned into some argument about gods…

The Greyhawk.9107

Yeah, I suppose such things belongs in the Lore section. I just get kinda OCD about things now and then.

Hate is Fuel.

Kam.4092

Yeah, I suppose such things belongs in the Lore section. I just get kinda OCD about things now and then.

I understand. I only put God, because I don’t play a Revenant. I figured Mallyx was a god. I played GW1 and loved the lore. Wish more of it was in this.

I put God as a broad term. There are many cool story characters they could add as aspects

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

Yep spear/polearm and well… any kind of weapon that is attached to a long stick should be a weapon of choice used on land.
Dang it our ancestors used such arms because it was the most efficient weapon through centuries.

We dunno lore-wise what happened to paragons and dervish due to human gods going “kthxbai”. But if spear makes it into a throwing variant instead (or also) of good ol’ swing and stab, then I bet that some people might be a little dissapointed.
It really makes me think, why spears were thrown into water… guardians, wardens, warriors… it’s such an obvious weapon to use just like a two handed sword.
Let’s get realistic becuase it was claimed few years back that polearms were created but didn’t make it into the final cut, yet they still hang in there on the board waiting for their glorious time to come.
If we plead enough, this time might come sooner but devs have to know that we want something like that to be a part of new content that is to come in the future.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

The Greyhawk.9107

Yep spear/polearm and well… any kind of weapon that is attached to a long stick should be a weapon of choice used on land.
Dang it our ancestors used such arms because it was the most efficient weapon through centuries.

We dunno lore-wise what happened to paragons and dervish due to human gods going “kthxbai”. But if spear makes it into a throwing variant instead (or also) of good ol’ swing and stab, then I bet that some people might be a little dissapointed.
It really makes me think, why spears were thrown into water… guardians, wardens, warriors… it’s such an obvious weapon to use just like a two handed sword.
Let’s get realistic becuase it was claimed few years back that polearms were created but didn’t make it into the final cut, yet they still hang in there on the board waiting for their glorious time to come.
If we plead enough, this time might come sooner but devs have to know that we want something like that to be a part of new content that is to come in the future.

At this point in time, it might be better to instead make more staves that look like pole-arms rather than make a new weapon set. Honestly, I don’t really see Anet adding new weapons into the game at all.

Hate is Fuel.