Any chance of raising server population?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

So all those peeps that got the game for xmas can join their friends on full servers? XD

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

The game is in decline though because of fundamental design flaws like boring combat, redundant grouping, bugs, cash shop pressure, lack of depth, boring PvP scene…Populations are just gonna drop off again in a few weeks. Not many new players are actually interested in this game from all the mixed press it is getting.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/

Latorn.4209

The game is in decline though because of fundamental design flaws like boring combat, redundant grouping, bugs, cash shop pressure, lack of depth, boring PvP scene…Populations are just gonna drop off again in a few weeks. Not many new players are actually interested in this game from all the mixed press it is getting.

I know right? All those people are just gonna quit paying their monthly fees and never come back to the game =P

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

There is a clear definable risk to raising the server caps. While raising the cap would make it easier for people to create a character on a full server, it would also hurt those servers that are on the other side of the scale. There are a handful of servers that need more people.

Filling full servers and allowing transfers/new player to the fullest servers only serves to unbalance the experience further than it is now. The cap is necessary to balance populations – to enrich the PVE experience and create a more competitive WvW landscape.

With that in mind, the solution to “wanting to play alongside friends” needs to be convincing all of those friends to move to one of the lesser populated servers. I know that seems like a hassle and people don’t want to give up spots on the top tier WvW servers, but it is the healthiest solution for the game as a whole.

As it stands, there is very little incentive to roll on a less populated server. The cap is the only thing keep populations in check across the board.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Latorn.4209

There is a clear definable risk to raising the server caps. While raising the cap would make it easier for people to create a character on a full server, it would also hurt those servers that are on the other side of the scale. There are a handful of servers that need more people.

Filling full servers and allowing transfers/new player to the fullest servers only serves to unbalance the experience further than it is now. The cap is necessary to balance populations – to enrich the PVE experience and create a more competitive WvW landscape.

With that in mind, the solution to “wanting to play alongside friends” needs to be convincing all of those friends to move to one of the lesser populated servers. I know that seems like a hassle and people don’t want to give up spots on the top tier WvW servers, but it is the healthiest solution for the game as a whole.

As it stands, there is very little incentive to roll on a less populated server. The cap is the only thing keep populations in check across the board.

Aye, the only problem would be is that I rolled on Tarnished Coast due to it being the unofficial RP server XD Also I’ve had a guild since launch on TC that has attained a few upgrades and influence that I would lose when transferring.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Aye, the only problem would be is that I rolled on Tarnished Coast due to it being the unofficial RP server XD Also I’ve had a guild since launch on TC that has attained a few upgrades and influence that I would lose when transferring.

Definitely respect that point of view and really wish there were a better solution to the issue.

Unfortunately, I think the harm of opening transfers and upping caps outweighs any potential positives. The reality is there have to be people around to enjoy the game with. If 80 percent of the population is crammed into 30 percent of the servers, the remaining servers will suffer tremendously and needlessly.

I think one thing that may help is if the RP community designated one of the currently lower pop servers as a secondary RP server in North America. It wouldnt solve the influence issue when transferring a guild (even though partnering with existing guilds already on those servers may), but it would give RPers another option.

Latorn.4209

Well, thanks anyways for trying to help out

We’re just consistently checking the world select screen to see if TC lowers from full at all, moving up the double digits in attempts, just hope it doesn’t take a hundred tries XD lol

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

They lifted the server caps just before Wintersday event. They’ve done this a number of times since the game is launched, maybe they’ll do it again

Good luck on getting on the server you want.

Posted by: lothefallen.7081

lothefallen.7081

I know right? All those people are just gonna quit paying their monthly fees and never come back to the game =P

I’ve actually met people who have admitted to spending 1,000-4,000 dollars in the cash shop, so i think ArenaNet loses much more by a declining population than a sub based game simply because the player base is a mixed bag. Hence why they look for consistent psychological data from player reactions and trends so they can implement content that caters to their biggest buyers.

The Ardent Aegis
http://aa-guild.shivtr.com/