Any plans to bring players back to Orr?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I’m just wondering if we know of Anet’s intentions on bringing players back to Orr. Cursed shore seems to be the only part of Orr that has any decent amount of players. I don’t like having to play in Queensdale just to have an abundance of players around me.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Please no!

I hope to never return there.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Orr is the worst part of the game, and unless it’s completeçy reworked (and that is never going to happen), it deserves to be left to rot with no player in sight. I would rather have a lot of players in Queensdale than in Orr.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I actually don’t mind it haha. I hate the cliche zombies, but like how it feels as if you are actually in enemy territory. Wouldn’t surprise me if I’m in the minority though.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I actually don’t mind it haha. I hate the cliche zombies, but like how it feels as if you are actually in enemy territory. Wouldn’t surprise me if I’m in the minority though.

A minority of two of us

“This is the way the world ends; not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door.”
-Amanda Hocking, Hollowland

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

I ran through Straits of Devastation last night with a group of about 8 people, trying to figure out how to start the Eye of Zhaitan event. It was actually quite fun, and I went places I’ve never really been before. We got to do some events that nobody does, kill some epic bosses, use some really cool environmental weapons, and explore confusing catacombs. It made me realize how FUN this zone actual can be when you are not alone and getting roflstomped by risen at every turn. There is so much to do, so many places to go, so many events. The only problem is that the events that contest waypoints respawn about every 10 minutes. I got tired of killing the same Risen Acolyte Leader just so people could wp to my group.

The problem is too many people guide their gaming experience based on rewards. If it takes too long to do, or doesn’t drop a chest, they won’t do it. Never mind the fun…who plays games for fun anyways? It’s all about VIRTUAL PROFIT!

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

(edited by Curo.2483)

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I ran through Straits of Devastation last night with a group of about 8 people, trying to figure out how to start the Eye of Zhaitan event. It was actually quite fun, and I went places I’ve never really been before. We got to do some events that nobody does, kill some epic bosses, use some really cool environmental weapons, and confusing catacombs. It made me realize how FUN this zone actual can be when you are not alone and getting roflstomped by risen at every turn. There is so much to do, so many places to go, so many events. The only problem is that the events that contest waypoints respawn about every 10 minutes. I got tired of killing the same Risen Acolyte Leader just so people could wp to my group.

The problem is too many people guide their gaming experience based on rewards. If it takes too long to do, or doesn’t drop a chest, they won’t do it. Never mind the fun…who plays games for fun anyways. It’s all about VIRTUAL PROFIT!

Gotta say my aversion to Orr fits quite neatly into the opposite of your point. Rewards are better there (nicer drops for mats etc), but the place is not fun and is ugly to boot. That of course is my personal opinion and others may differ. I’d much rather have more places like Bloodtide coast, where it is bright and sunny.

Posted by: Taran Redleaf.7912

Taran Redleaf.7912

It would be nice if they did a living story with the maps of Orr… a sylvari “going green” project to reclaim the lands of Orr with Asuran technological – terraforming support. Players finally defeat the last of the Risen, (which get replaced by ‘baby dragons’ (think Skyrim or the movie, Reign of Fire) – soaring through the air, descending on players randomly – a place where dangerous drakes and their ilk become the new threat. The Pact is busy attempting to establish outposts and aerial defenses, but there’s only so much they can do.

And there could be a nice market for dragon eggs, dragon teeth, dragon scales, … you name it.

(edited by Taran Redleaf.7912)

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

Oh I hope with all my heart they bring back Orr to the days of old…like I said in another thread, a friend of mine got to 80 before I did at launch and he told me of this place where there was non-stop events and how much of a rush it was..made me want to lvl to 80 as fast as I could..never left once I got there..

Dear Anet…please bring back Orr.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

It’s always a possibility. Like someone else said in another post: Players don’t decide where they go, Anet does. If Anet decides to funnel players into Orr for events that are garbage, but a higher quality garbage than other events in other places, it’s their decision.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

Oh man. I love Orr the way it is. I love feeling all alone while trying not to aggro enemies so I can get a good shot. I love traveling through and taking pictures and looking up the history. It’s an amazing place I know I’m in the minority here though.

I’ll just have to enjoy it while I can.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Oh man. I love Orr the way it is. I love feeling all alone while trying not to aggro enemies so I can get a good shot. I love traveling through and taking pictures and looking up the history. It’s an amazing place I know I’m in the minority here though.

I’ll just have to enjoy it while I can.

You’re not alone. I prefer Orr the way it is now too. When I first got to Orr, it was really anticlimatic. I expected this end game zone owned totally by the enemy and instead there were a zillion people and it was all I could do to tag enough targets to get credit for events. It was profitable, but it didn’t fit the image of Orr the game had painted.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

You aren’t alone. I enjoy Orr a lot as well.

I’d actually like to see some fractals or something in which we could travel back to Orr before it was turned into zombie apocalypse. But I also enjoy it how it is currently.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I ran through Straits of Devastation last night with a group of about 8 people, trying to figure out how to start the Eye of Zhaitan event. It was actually quite fun, and I went places I’ve never really been before. We got to do some events that nobody does, kill some epic bosses, use some really cool environmental weapons, and explore confusing catacombs. It made me realize how FUN this zone actual can be when you are not alone and getting roflstomped by risen at every turn. There is so much to do, so many places to go, so many events. The only problem is that the events that contest waypoints respawn about every 10 minutes. I got tired of killing the same Risen Acolyte Leader just so people could wp to my group.

The problem is too many people guide their gaming experience based on rewards. If it takes too long to do, or doesn’t drop a chest, they won’t do it. Never mind the fun…who plays games for fun anyways? It’s all about VIRTUAL PROFIT!

Yeah…

Unfortunately, fantasy computer games had their root in DnD, which for many was all about loot. This has been ingrained into MMO players for so long that it will be hard to get shut of.

Posted by: Crash.9186

Crash.9186

Orr is horrible, would rather bash my face against a wall instead of re-visiting that boring, uninspired cluster of nonsense, the area just looks far to dull that it makes my eyes bleed (if that was possible) and the mobs them self were designed with hatred.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I loved Orr until they nerfed the kitten out of it. Now is deserted and since many of the events can’t be soloed there is no point in even visiting it.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

There’s nothing wrong with Orr other than the fact that the risk is disproportionate to the rewards. I hope they tweak that soon- I’ll go back.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They just need to give Orr a meta-event worthy of THE end game zone. The temple events are alright, but they feel more like a foundation that should lead to something bigger and greater than any other meta event in the game. Instead they lead to a little kiddy girl fight on zhaitans staircase, honestly one of the lamest zergiest events in the game. I want to see another dragon lieutenant, or maybe the Orrian Emperor, something actually worthy of the end of all end PvE content.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Drayven.6408

Drayven.6408

- Lack of Players to do Events
- Temples need to be a Foundation of Dynamic Events that lead to a True Meta Event
- The Risk is completely disproportionate to the Rewards offered
- More Events need to be placed, with longer times between Defense and Offense

These are the true problems of Orr currently…

I’m a late comer to the game, and I flat out -LOVED- the Storyline… It got me all pumped up about getting to Orr, and finally being able to play with other groups there. I was so happy to be a part of a game that wasn’t entirely about Raiding and getting the newest top end gear with higher stats the previous patch.

Then when I finally got to Orr, on one of the higher populated servers none-the-less, and I found out that no one ever really goes there anymore except for the Temple events. Even of those temple events, half of them are left out entirely, because they are “Too Hard” to complete… Which was a -HUGE- let-down…

Here I am… Wanting to actually experience the content of the End Game zones in Guild Wars 2, and I can’t even do that because it has been nerfed into the rewards have been nerfed into the ground. Why? Because there were too many bots running around, which in turn upset the economy…

This made me want to blow up completely, because the entire storyline built up to this zone… And then what happens? It’s a huge fizzle of non-success… How is that supposed to keep a newer player like myself want to stay around? I mean I understand that there are other things to do out there, like chest events, dungeons, WvW, and SPvP… But… I don’t really do PvP all that much, especially when I found there was an engi build that could 4v1 an entire group. Dungeons… Well, they are great and all, but it can’t be the -ONLY- side of the game that I come to enjoy in a game. Chest events? These events are a pile of rear ended kitten secretion… I mean seriously? Stand at the side of a Dragon and attack its foot until it dies? That’s just terrible design, but I won’t go into that…

I loved this game while leveling, but being someone who games a lot, I want to find a good niche to play in at End-Game… Not during the leveling process… The leveling process should be what draws me in and makes me want to stay until the end-game… The end-game itself should be what keeps me, yet day by day, I get closer and closer to just stepping away from the game entirely…

Vayne.8563

- Lack of Players to do Events
- Temples need to be a Foundation of Dynamic Events that lead to a True Meta Event
- The Risk is completely disproportionate to the Rewards offered
- More Events need to be placed, with longer times between Defense and Offense

These are the true problems of Orr currently…

I’m a late comer to the game, and I flat out -LOVED- the Storyline… It got me all pumped up about getting to Orr, and finally being able to play with other groups there. I was so happy to be a part of a game that wasn’t entirely about Raiding and getting the newest top end gear with higher stats the previous patch.

Then when I finally got to Orr, on one of the higher populated servers none-the-less, and I found out that no one ever really goes there anymore except for the Temple events. Even of those temple events, half of them are left out entirely, because they are “Too Hard” to complete… Which was a -HUGE- let-down…

Here I am… Wanting to actually experience the content of the End Game zones in Guild Wars 2, and I can’t even do that because it has been nerfed into the rewards have been nerfed into the ground. Why? Because there were too many bots running around, which in turn upset the economy…

This made me want to blow up completely, because the entire storyline built up to this zone… And then what happens? It’s a huge fizzle of non-success… How is that supposed to keep a newer player like myself want to stay around? I mean I understand that there are other things to do out there, like chest events, dungeons, WvW, and SPvP… But… I don’t really do PvP all that much, especially when I found there was an engi build that could 4v1 an entire group. Dungeons… Well, they are great and all, but it can’t be the -ONLY- side of the game that I come to enjoy in a game. Chest events? These events are a pile of rear ended kitten secretion… I mean seriously? Stand at the side of a Dragon and attack its foot until it dies? That’s just terrible design, but I won’t go into that…

I loved this game while leveling, but being someone who games a lot, I want to find a good niche to play in at End-Game… Not during the leveling process… The leveling process should be what draws me in and makes me want to stay until the end-game… The end-game itself should be what keeps me, yet day by day, I get closer and closer to just stepping away from the game entirely…

Find a guild that runs Orr events and run with the guild. It’s a lot easier than trying to solo Orr.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

A minority of two of us

“This is the way the world ends; not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door.”

No I want to be able to regularly play there but can’t. They want players to spread out but the population isn’t there to be able to have enough to complete dynamic events satisfactorily.

When they first fixed the loot bug that they denied was there, at that point Orr was great but they made further changes taking it downhill they should have just left well alone.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

A minority of two of us

No I want to be able to regularly play there but can’t. They want players to spread out but the population isn’t there to be able to have enough to complete dynamic events satisfactorily.

When they first fixed the loot bug that they denied was there, at that point Orr was great but they made further changes taking it downhill they should have just left well alone.

They never denied there was a loot bug, they denied there was a DR bug, because they had tested for that and found there was no way it could be the culprit. And they were right. The bug that was found to be causing the rigged drops was coming from a completely different system calculation than DR does.

Posted by: Mercypsy.9602

Mercypsy.9602

I think it’s a delicate balance. Used to be that Cursed Shore was so profitable that high level characters stayed there as much as possible, ignoring the other maps. In an effort to make people spread out more they reduced the profits in Cursed Shore and upped them for high level players on other maps (i.e. get high level drops on low level maps and guaranteed yellows from world bosses).

I like the idea, since just playing one map gets boring after a while. Unfortunately other problems have followed. Fewer people in Orr means many big events never get completed, and the more obscure ones just sit there. I reside on a medium population server, and there just isn’t enough people to populate the world. When people spread out more, all maps feel half-empty.

At least, this is how I see it. I wish Anet would consider merging some servers at this point.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Orr is where I go to finish off my levels.

The place is so easy to solo, you can go in there a few levels early and just start mashing away the mobs. If you have situational awareness you can control pull size quite a bit there.

Since I use balanced builds rather than zerker or glass canon – nothing but champions / group event bosses there will hit hard enough to be un-soloable. But mobs also hit hard enough that I can’t faceroll my keyboard through the place. Which makes for more entertaining gameplay.

If Orr mobs are hard, if the non-group events are hard; your build is too glassy.

This game is designed so that a good enough number of direct attacks will lack a clear tell or come too fast to dodge them all; for which protection, regen, armor, and healing all have their place. Glass canon zerker builds work in places where that model is broken. Orr is not one of those places.

There’s enough people around there on my server that when an event needs doing, people put out the call and others show up to do it.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

Technical issues aside, a Living Story centered on reviving Orr would be a nice continuation to the personal story… or at least an improvement to it.

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

I see people in Orr all the time. Everyone I know does the temple and Arah events for the chests, and Penitent Path mixed with temple and Arah events and clever use of guesting is still the best gold in the game after COF path 1.

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

There was a topic about changing Orr in a PvE version of WvW, with players upgrading fortifications, building siege and all…
It was a great detailed topic with really good ideas. I just hope it get implemented in someway someday…

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It would be nice if they did a living story with the maps of Orr… a sylvari “going green” project to reclaim the lands of Orr with Asuran technological – terraforming support. Players finally defeat the last of the Risen, (which get replaced by ‘baby dragons’ (think Skyrim or the movie, Reign of Fire) – soaring through the air, descending on players randomly – a place where dangerous drakes and their ilk become the new threat. The Pact is busy attempting to establish outposts and aerial defenses, but there’s only so much they can do.

And there could be a nice market for dragon eggs, dragon teeth, dragon scales, … you name it.

That would be nice but it is unlikely. They would have to split the map into two different versions otherwise it wouldn’t make any sense going through the personal story with the updated version.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Magic find NPC after all temples have been done. And then happy dust farming.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Well they would have to make something you rarely see in MMOs. A change in the persistent world and new players not allowing to see how Orr used to look at the release. They will still be able to play through the story but outside of it Orr already changed.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Drayven.6408

Drayven.6408

Find a guild that runs Orr events and run with the guild. It’s a lot easier than trying to solo Orr.

I would do that, but I’d prefer not to quit my current guild… They are a cool bunch of people, but this is the only thing they -DON’T- want to do. Although lately, between getting made fun of by one of the officers for wanting to do Orr events and knowing that a few of the members condone the use of exploits, I’ve considered quitting. Also, I’ve not really seen any guilds on Yaks Bend that likes to run Orr events.

I see people in Orr all the time. Everyone I know does the temple and Arah events for the chests, and Penitent Path mixed with temple and Arah events and clever use of guesting is still the best gold in the game after COF path 1.

This right here is actually one of the reasons they nerfed Orr…. Specifically, the Penitent Path… I haven’t even gone out there and tested it, but from what I have read this path of events is essentially the same thing that the instigators were… Run from one spot to another, complete event, run back to the original spot, complete event, run back to the other spot complete event, and so on and so forth… Which is one of the problems I stuck in my “List” of problems… The Longer times between defense and offense of events, while there being just a few more events than there already are. Even still though, if this wasn’t touched and there were a bunch of people there running these events, it would attract other players into the area…

Vayne.8563

I would do that, but I’d prefer not to quit my current guild… They are a cool bunch of people, but this is the only thing they -DON’T- want to do. Although lately, between getting made fun of by one of the officers for wanting to do Orr events and knowing that a few of the members condone the use of exploits, I’ve considered quitting. Also, I’ve not really seen any guilds on Yaks Bend that likes to run Orr events.

This right here is actually one of the reasons they nerfed Orr…. Specifically, the Penitent Path… I haven’t even gone out there and tested it, but from what I have read this path of events is essentially the same thing that the instigators were… Run from one spot to another, complete event, run back to the original spot, complete event, run back to the other spot complete event, and so on and so forth… Which is one of the problems I stuck in my “List” of problems… The Longer times between defense and offense of events, while there being just a few more events than there already are. Even still though, if this wasn’t touched and there were a bunch of people there running these events, it would attract other players into the area…

You don’t have to leave your guild to join another, unless that particular guild insists in it. I’m in five guilds, personally…one main guild and several guilds for specific reasons.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

me and a buddy went to Orr for the first time last night…why so much hate for it? We had a blast. All the mobs and events were more challenging then the other areas…we stumbled on a legendary boss in some crazy circular temple, but with no players in sight we had to high tail it out of there. Creepy place.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Vayne.8563

me and a buddy went to Orr for the first time last night…why so much hate for it? We had a blast. All the mobs and events were more challenging then the other areas…we stumbled on a legendary boss in some crazy circular temple, but with no players in sight we had to high tail it out of there. Creepy place.

People are comparing Orr to what it was originally, which was a massive zerg fest of people running from one event chain to the next event chain to the next event chain. It allowed them to relatively quickly farm events, including the karma and silver for them, plus get drops from the mobs in the events.

People would run and tag as many mobs as they could. There were so many people the events would be massively scaled up. But there were so many people it trivilized the event, and you’d just follow the herd, around and around in circles, but you made money doing this.

Anet made changes to Orr because too many people were going it. It’s my belief, and I have no proof for this, that Anet wanted Orr to be end game content, not just a farm/zerg fest. So they keep making changes. One of the first of those was to redo so of the major event chains to introduce more champions into them, making them harder to “farm”. They also nerfed the easy stuff that people could mindlessly do to make money.

It was always, according to Anet supposed to be end game content.

On the other end of the spectrum are the people who insist on soloing it and not finding friends/guildies to go in there with.

We have people in my guild going into Orr relatively often, and we always have a godo time when we do. But it’s no longer the great “farm” that people enjoyed originally, and it’s not real welcoming to new 80 players who try to solo it.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I’m on Yaks and you should inquire with Yum, WAR. There’s also this guy named Reylt Bandor (sp?) that runs a guild that constantly runs events..unfortunately I forgot the guild name ;/

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Some don’t hate Orr, they dislike what has been done to the place.

Event timers and loot drops have been nerfed and there are issues with broken scaling and culling (getting spiked for 48K + damage in one hit from a mob you cannot see).

Now it’s good for temple events and nodes and that’s about it.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

People are comparing Orr to what it was originally, which was a massive zerg fest of people running from one event chain to the next event chain to the next event chain. It allowed them to relatively quickly farm events, including the karma and silver for them, plus get drops from the mobs in the events.

People would run and tag as many mobs as they could. There were so many people the events would be massively scaled up. But there were so many people it trivilized the event, and you’d just follow the herd, around and around in circles, but you made money doing this.

Anet made changes to Orr because too many people were going it. It’s my belief, and I have no proof for this, that Anet wanted Orr to be end game content, not just a farm/zerg fest. So they keep making changes. One of the first of those was to redo so of the major event chains to introduce more champions into them, making them harder to “farm”. They also nerfed the easy stuff that people could mindlessly do to make money.

It was always, according to Anet supposed to be end game content.

On the other end of the spectrum are the people who insist on soloing it and not finding friends/guildies to go in there with.

We have people in my guild going into Orr relatively often, and we always have a godo time when we do. But it’s no longer the great “farm” that people enjoyed originally, and it’s not real welcoming to new 80 players who try to solo it.

dang…that sucks. we were having fun with some of the first events but then got demolished on the next one, it was just me and him. Too bad they nerfed it, I would love to try out the events in those areas

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

There are indeed!

We’ve had a lot of feedback from folks asking for more difficult places in the game that can be more rewarding to play in. Our intent with Orr (and Southsun) is to create areas that are more fun/difficult for groups to play through event chains, with events that scale better when larger groups of players show up than the rest of the game, rather than the old versions that fell apart when more than a group or so of players showed up.

Thus the continual updates this year to make the creatures in Orr have more varied skills, the swap over to the new event scaling system that creates veterans/champions as content scales up, and the updates to Southsun to have more playable content. The one thing that’s really missing is the rewards to help make playing in these locations more even exciting and rewarding than they are now.

We want champions to be more rewarding, so places like Orr/Southsun where events can scale up to create champions become one of the more fun and rewarding places in the game to play, since events there can be champion on demand generators to an extent. We’d also like to tie in additional unique rewards to the temple chains, to make those more worthwhile and differentiate them from the giant boss encounters (which we’ll also be upgrading to be more exciting) to give a reason to do each in a day. We’d also like to add more value and use to blue/green items, so things like killing vets feels more rewarding when those type of items drop when doing those events in Orr as well.

And of course, we’d like to remove culling from PvE as well so you can experience these events in all their glory when they do scale up.

We’ll go into specifics on all of this in an updated version of the Gw2 in 2013 blog post sometime in July focusing on our plan for the 2nd half of the year and how we plan to improve the core game experience. As a reminder, you can find the original detailing our high level plan here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Sometimes I wonder if I am playing the same game as others on here ….

I happen to love Orr!
I think it has the most interesting map areas and environments. There are some amazing nooks and crannies to discover both on land and underwater. After Anet cleared up some of the murk, I would often stop and take it all in. I still do, although I am in there less often now.

Yeah, the theme is undead, so what? No worse than the endless centaurs or dredge, or flame legion you get in the other areas. At least the undead used to give you a decent fight, now even that is gone ..

Sorry, but any player that cannot solo explore or travel through Orr after all the nerfs needs to learn how play and build a toon. Orr is easier than being a lvl 80 downscaled in a mid-level map. Orr is no longer an end-game area.

As for the events, I have done many solo. Obviously not the group temple events, but certainly most of the escort events. I have done Lyssa with 5 players. Defending penit/shelter/jofast can easily be done with 3-4 players, and is actually fun to do!

The saddest thing for me in this game is seeing what Anet has done to Orr …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

(edited by bri.2359)

Vol.5241

There are indeed!

We’ve had a lot of feedback from folks asking for more difficult places in the game that can be more rewarding to play in. Our intent with Orr (and Southsun) is to create areas that are more fun/difficult for groups to play through event chains, with events that scale better when larger groups of players show up than the rest of the game, rather than the old versions that fell apart when more than a group or so of players showed up.

Thus the continual updates this year to make the creatures in Orr have more varied skills, the swap over to the new event scaling system that creates veterans/champions as content scales up, and the updates to Southsun to have more playable content. The one thing that’s really missing is the rewards to help make playing in these locations more even exciting and rewarding than they are now.

We want champions to be more rewarding, so places like Orr/Southsun where events can scale up to create champions become one of the more fun and rewarding places in the game to play, since events there can be champion on demand generators to an extent. We’d also like to tie in additional unique rewards to the temple chains, to make those more worthwhile and differentiate them from the giant boss encounters (which we’ll also be upgrading to be more exciting) to give a reason to do each in a day. We’d also like to add more value and use to blue/green items, so things like killing vets feels more rewarding when those type of items drop when doing those events in Orr as well.

And of course, we’d like to remove culling from PvE as well so you can experience these events in all their glory when they do scale up.

We’ll go into specifics on all of this in an updated version of the Gw2 in 2013 blog post sometime in July focusing on our plan for the 2nd half of the year and how we plan to improve the core game experience. As a reminder, you can find the original detailing our high level plan here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

You have fewer people playing in Cursed Shore today than ever before. You did OK with the scaling but did a terrible job in terms of rewards. There is no fun beating on a veteran spider that spawns dozens of veteran spider hatchlings that don’t give exp or loot.

Cursed Shore was the place to be for months since release. Now it’s a ghost town. I can’t see how you can justify these moves as an improvement.

Just revert everything back to what it was in January and you’ll have people playing in that zone again.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

@colin: nice to see opne world pve being on your schedule…but, just saying: as long as the respawn times for events remains like now (a geological era) the discussion about rewards and improving events seems to have little sense to me…

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

There is a reason no one is going back to Southsun right now to do the Karka Queen.

You guys should step back, analyze this, and regroup. This place is still pretty barren, and it is not the new content’s fault. Crazy hard fights with rewards not worth the time/effort.

And who wants to kill a champ for a guaranteed blue? Again, not worth the time.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

OMG
More unique rewards? I hope it is just increased chance at T6 mats, precursors, etc….

Please dont tell me youre putting in a new currency. I will flat out lose my mind..lose it. We wont be able to find it. Like Waldo, you won’t ever find my sanity if there is one more type of currency added to this game.

And please do not throw in RNG boxes to these events. “Now when you complete XYZ chain, you have the CHANCE at a rare Crate that has a chance at some unique and exciting rewards”. <— Words I dont want to hear again as a player/paying customer.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

(edited by cesmode.4257)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I used to love Orr. There were a lot of people playing and people grouped up. This allowed you to get to know other players and was a lot of fun socially. I actually partied with a GM of a guild so many times and had so much fun that I ended up joining the guild. And, it was rewarding in terms of karma and coin. You could actually advance your characters through karma and coin by playing there. But, this is no longer true.

Very sorry to hear Colin’s take on Orr in terms of increased difficulty as that is the attempt that ruined Orr and it all started in Feb. What have we seen as the fruit of Anet’s desire to get people back to Orr? The addition of champs and vets has decreased reward. They offer no reward themselves and cut down on the number of mobs present which was always the source of reward. Difficulty, or challenge as a reward in itself? I’m sorry but 30k hits out of the blur, outrageous AoE, continuous major CC are not challenging, they represent anti-challenge, i.e., they are features that do not reward skillful play.

From the content of Colin’s post above I can tell you that they are not planning to bring back Orr and consequently the players won’t return. So, both the social and financial reward are now simply gone and it’s quite sad.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Vol.5241

There is a reason no one is going back to Southsun right now to do the Karka Queen.

You guys should step back, analyze this, and regroup. This place is still pretty barren, and it is not the new content’s fault. Crazy hard fights with rewards not worth the time/effort.

And who wants to kill a champ for a guaranteed blue? Again, not worth the time.

Not only that, but the mobs in southsun have ridiculous buffs or attacks.

If you get more than 1 karka on you, you’re going to die from the initial ranged attack (unless you dodge)
If you get more than 1 drake on you, you’re going to get stunned and die from confusion (even if you cleanse it they reapply)

And they still enraged buff on them while you’re at it!

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Hopefully more RNG Karma Orr Boxes!
Please!

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Based on responses I’m not sure some of you read my post past the first paragraph….I’m agreeing with you, thus the:

“The one thing that’s really missing is the rewards to help make playing in these locations more even exciting and rewarding than they are now.”

And no, we’re not putting in a new currency, we have plenty of those

Vol.5241

I used to love Orr. There were a lot of people playing and people grouped up. This allowed you to get to know other players and was a lot of fun socially. I actually partied with a GM of a guild so many times and had so much fun that I ended up joining the guild. And, it was rewarding in terms of karma and coin. You could actually advance your characters through karma and coin by playing there. But, this is no longer true.

Very sorry to hear Colin’s take on Orr in terms of increased difficulty as that is the attempt that ruined Orr and it all started in Feb. What have we seen as the fruit of Anet’s desire to get people back to Orr? The addition of champs and vets has decreased reward. They offer no reward themselves and cut down on the number of mobs present which was always the source of reward. Difficulty, or challenge as a reward in itself? I’m sorry but 30k hits out of the blur, outrageous AoE, continuous major CC are not challenging, they represent anti-challenge, i.e., they are features that do not reward skillful play.

From the content of Colin’s post above I can tell you that they are not planning to bring back Orr and consequently the players won’t return. So, both the social and financial reward are now simply gone and it’s quite sad.

Same here. I’ve met many players and faces through farming at shelt/pen since release. Nothing is better than hanging out with other players hours upon hours discussing the game as well as their personal lives. After all, there is a 5-10 minute break between events, that’s a nice time to chat!

Nowadays there is nothing that links a server together other than WvW, and that doesn’t foster casual discussion since map chat is reserved for strategy.

People go do dungeons but that’s strictly limited to gw2lfg (pubs) or within their guilds.

People go farm meta events but they are there for only a short time, and there is too many people to share small conversations.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Vol.5241

Based on responses I’m not sure some of you read my post past the first paragraph….I’m agreeing with you, thus the:

“The one thing that’s really missing is the rewards to help make playing in these locations more even exciting and rewarding than they are now.”

For the love of Dwayna, just rollback everything to January and people will be happy

;____;

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Most are a bit cynical here
But one solution would be to revert the changes that made orr so empty. And from there you can do the more exciting and rewarding stuff