Any progress on letting us replay Season 1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

BaconCatTheGreasy.9542

See title really.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Even if there was progress they wouldn’t let u know till the final phase. I can assure u even they want to release it as a re-playable content. Problem is they didn’t have the right tools when they first made S1. S2 is a different story.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Last word was they weren’t really working on it at this time. Maybe some day in the future. It is something they would like to do, but it is not a priority right now.

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

Same question in regards to Personal Story

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Same question in regards to Personal Story

Would like this option. Always wanted to go back and choose a different path for my main now that I understand what races are what. Hindsight is 20/20. Guess I should have re-leveled before the NPE went live

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Is it even possible, given the changes that came about in the world?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

zhaitan dies every day
but his skeleton is in the priory

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I don’t see how it’s any less possible than watching Fort Salma get destroyed more than once. Or anything else for that matter. Anything already played is non-canon the second time around, regardless of how long it’s been. Are you going to suddenly take away replaying Mordremoth’s story once a new elder dragon comes along?

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Not exactly as it was given the open world focus that LS1 had.

Which is why it’s likely not on top priority. Reworking old content for the story journal is likely not on anyone’s top priority list. Especially with players screaming that they want new content.

While I would love to play LS1 as I missed out on it due to a hiatus I took, I would much rather ANet focus on adding new, permanent content to the game. Especially things geared for level 80 characters.

Posted by: Cyanchiv.2583

Cyanchiv.2583

Season 1 of the living story introduced types of content that are not being used in the current living story. The current living story is set up in a way that is completely solo-able. New things have been added in, such as Dry Top and the Silverwastes, but I don’t have to participate in any of it to understand the storyline so they are not integral to the storyline. However, season 1 had content that was not solo-able and was integral to the storyline. A couple of examples of those things would be the Molten Alliance dungeon, and the Marionette. I would love to see Season 1 added back as being replayable, but I can see a few areas it would need to be worked on, or completely changed, so someone could be able to go through the story by themselves. Honestly I think it is very important for new players to the game to be able to enjoy all the story up to this point without having to skip over any of it.

(edited by Cyanchiv.2583)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I don’t believe so, but something needs to bridge the gap. I see so many confused players and so many confused ‘potential’ players, that is is a real stumbling point for them to miss essentially a year’s worth of story. Even the earlier season 2 stuff is confusing people since they don’t realise they have to unlock it with gems.

We need to think of a way to pull it all together. The direction of S2 is improving the game with leaps and bounds, but there’s that feeling for many of a whole chunk missing.

Perhaps instances tagged onto the PS, massively foreshortened (eg Nightmare tower – small linear instance with the boss fight to conclude and cutscenes to set it up), with cutscenes to fill in the rest. Something in game and not on the webpage/external sites to guide people.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

The personal story attests to the fact that yes, its possible. Tybalt can be in the streets yelling APPLES FOR SALE to literally no one outside the crumbling ruins of the old bank. It’s weird, but it’s better to give players that story then take it out all together.

There are reasons it might be difficult, or even not worth the time, but “it’s not possible because of the changes to the world.” is not a good one.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

(edited by rfdarko.4639)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I believe so, Gaile. After all, we already have situations in the game that ask players to suspend their disbelief. (The dungeons are the best example of this. How is it that we can keep on killing the end bosses over and over and over?) We players know full well that stuff like the Personal Story, dungeons and the Living Story are instances frozen in time. When we play them, we are looking at a snapshot of what occurred, not as it’s happening now.

With that in mind, it would be easy for a lot of LS1 instances to be rebranded with an NPC standing outside saying, “Man, I remember being here when we had that huge assault on the Tower of Nightmares. Hundreds of brave adventurers charging in, and almost as many bodies being carted out again. It was, to put it bluntly, nightmarish.”

And then the player has a response saying, “Tell me more about the assault.” Which then launches the player into a separate instance where they can play through the content again.

This could be done for just about all of the crucial LS1 stages. The only ones that would be problematic might be the ones that were designed for large amounts of players (such as the Tower of Nightmares, the Marionette, and the Battle on the Breachmaker). But I have faith that we can come up with a good solution.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The personal story attests to the fact that yes, its possible. Tybalt can be in the streets yelling APPLES FOR SALE to literally no one outside the crumbling ruins of the old bank. It’s weird, but it’s better to give players that story then take it out all together.

There are reasons it might be difficult, or even not worth the time, but “it’s not possible because of the changes to the world.” is not a good one.

I think it was less an excuse and more a question meant to provoke discussion. Gaile does that a lot.

On the subject of how to add Season 1 into the Story Journal? Let’s take a look:

Shadow of the Mad King was the first update which really worked on this. It’s possible to add this to the Story Journal as a time-limited access free option during Halloween.

Lost Shores was immensely open-world and yet you could distill it down rapidly into maybe seven to ten instanced parts consisting of: the initial attack, the investigation, an attack of Garrenhoff while looking for Canach, further investigation steps, then the defense of Lion’s Arch with the new acid weapons, the assault on Southsun, and then the push to the hive and Ancient Karka.

Flame and Frost can go in there almost as-is; the open-world events are not majorly impactful and you can even probably slice them out into mini-instances to preserve the narrative flow if you must.

Secrets of Southsun also can probably be thrown in there with minimal fuss for similar reasons. Spin off four instances in the settlements having to deal with the Refugee/Consortium struggle and the Everyone/Crazed Wildlife struggles, and we’re mostly good there too.

Dragon Bash/Sky Pirates had its climax rolled into Fractals so it’s sketchy what to do about it. But eminently doable.

Bazaar of the Four Winds can be a historical Journal entry but the nature of it and the following “Cutthroat Politics” means it’s more likely to not be possible to truly work it into the Story Journal.

Clockwork Chaos can be trimmed down into five to seven instances centered around the investigation angle and then Scarlet’s Playhouse.

Tequatl Rising and Twilight Assault seem to be ongoing additions to the world – these can be safely ignored.

Tower of Nightmares in its entirety highly depends on group-based behavior, and probably is a good candidate for a 5-15 person raid addition as-is. The finale, however, is decidedly a single-person instance.

Origins of Madness, the Marionette fight is impossible to put into a solo instance without entirely reworking. Again, it would make a good candidate for a 15-30 person raid. And again, the investigation payoff in the secret cavern is a single-person instance.

Edge of the Mists can be safely ignored.

Escape from Lion’s Arch and Battle for Lion’s Arch . . . again, perfect to set up as a large raiding instance in three steps which can be repeated.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

They said during a livestream that they were going to make all season one content available, even if some things end up in a slightly different form than what they originally came as.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

Most old living world content was discussed as excellent Candidates for being coverted into Raids in the Raid CDI.

Retired Leader of TTS

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

They said during a livestream that they were going to make all season one content available, even if some things end up in a slightly different form than what they originally came as.

That’s not exactly what they said. They said they hope to find a way to bring us Season One content in the journal, but that it’s difficult and it may require substantial re-working.

They also said they aren’t working on it now and don’t have a date for when it will be available, just that they’d like to do it in the future.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

as (instanced) raid content perhaps? as some people asked for similar content when it comes to large group coordination.

(edited by Michael Walker.8150)

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

with raids, absolutely. the LS consisted of 2 kinds of content, instanced story and open maps (which, for the sake of coding, are an instance of a class of something anyway). The story instances can remain the same, fully cut and paste. The open maps can become raid maps rebalanced within the specifications of raid content, but other than that, the environment/creature models, mechanics, rewards, etc all remain essentially the same.

This does something else (depending on where season 2 is going). What happens in S2 if the fight against mordremoth is a world event like the attack on LA? for the sake of replayability, does this mean that mordremoth will get killed on a daily basis like teq? sounds rather anticlimatic for an elder dragon.

Having world events from the living story perpetuated as raid content with some compilation of asuran technology and sylvari dreams/hunts as a reason (or something because that just sounds like fractals already) would allow the writers and devs to make some really awesome huge/worldwide stuff during the story but still allow for future replayability.

Edit: in fact, having past LS world content and even critical lore events as raid content was something I brought up multiple times in the raid CDI. Remember, this is guild wars, we shouldnt be bound by the constraints of familiar mmo raid content. If the LS world events dont conform to the typical mmo raid mold, I say “great” break the mold and make the idea more awesome.

(edited by That Guy.5704)

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

as (instanced) raid content perhaps? as some people asked for similar content when it comes to large group coordination.

The only way it could logically work is to have instanced raid conent. The open world nature of the events really would make it near impossible to play. Some of those events took nearly a full map of people to do. Plus having all these past events going on on a continual basis just wouldn’t make sense. So while LA is being attacked, we are also still learning about Scarlett, and the tower of nightmares is in full swing, and Scarlett is also dead? The continuity of it all just makes my head hurt trying to think about it.

But the CDIs talking about raids and such could be a huge plateform for being able to reopen these events. Granted some of the mechanics would need to be tweaked in order for a smaller group to be able to do it.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

My personal preference, is to make the living story season 1 into narrative episodes, rather than just recreating the events. So like, you learn about the fight against the marionette, rather than fight her. This is probably less than what people are hoping, but I think it would be easier to do then scaling down everything for 1-5 people.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Thanks — you’ve given me a lot to mull over. I was thinking basics, like Lion’s Arch before/Lion’s Arch now. But a lot of your ideas make sense, and it’s an interesting discussion.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Thanks — you’ve given me a lot to mull over. I was thinking basics, like Lion’s Arch before/Lion’s Arch now. But a lot of your ideas make sense, and it’s an interesting discussion.

Indeed. It woudn’t be like for like as it was. That could never be experienced again (sadly, since despite its flaws, there was some fun content there and obviously things like Nightmare Tower has set up the way new zones work today)

Logistically it is one of the tougher challenges to implement. But, you guys like those…….right??

Michael Walker.8150

The only way it could logically work is to have instanced raid conent. The open world nature of the events really would make it near impossible to play. Some of those events took nearly a full map of people to do. Plus having all these past events going on on a continual basis just wouldn’t make sense. So while LA is being attacked, we are also still learning about Scarlett, and the tower of nightmares is in full swing, and Scarlett is also dead? The continuity of it all just makes my head hurt trying to think about it.

But the CDIs talking about raids and such could be a huge plateform for being able to reopen these events. Granted some of the mechanics would need to be tweaked in order for a smaller group to be able to do it.

Not being able to only having one map is the biggest problem I could see, constantly having to maintain two different states of the same map might use too many resources but this is only speculation on my part.

In an instance however, the devs could easily block of parts of the map while still providing this grand experience. the vision the pale tree gave us comes to mind, the map is huge.

not having enough people could also be a problem for the invasions, on the other hand it would be a chance to unite different guilds or give the largest guilds to attempt the ridiculous.

basically pugs for guilds.

and yes, gotta update my post in the raid thread

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The only way it could logically work is to have instanced raid conent.

No, not really “only way” every bit of it could logically work. Most of it, as I detailed, can pretty much be worked on into a format in line with Season 2’s Story Journal. A third of it is festivals or updates which had no Living World impact beyond dialogue bits. (Notably off the top of my head, “Tequatl Rising” and “Edge of the Mists”).

It can be done. However I wouldn’t push for effort until after LS2 wraps, or maybe over the holidays in compiling the stuff. Unless there’s a team of people who can be peeled off to do the work.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

In the mists all things are possible, a bit like when we played Gwen in GW1.
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Bonus_Mission_Pack

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yes, it could be done, at least for the stuff that mattered. Furthermore, it needs to be.

Posted by: Archy.1045

Archy.1045

Yes, would be fun thing to do. I would pay some gems for that opportunity!

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I think we are pretty far out on getting a repeatable season 1. There are some fun things like the marionette that might come back sooner in the form of an instanced raid. At least I like to think so.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

The various colored-infused marionettes in LA during its cataclysm aren’t really easy to reproduce, but they can tweak LA to be an instance for this event. Same goes for Giant Marionette.

Everything can be instanced, although it may feel like too many instances I don’t believe there’s another way around it.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I think primarily what people want are the narrative elements of S1, and since a lot of the current living story is instanced based, there’s no reason why you could remove a lot of the open world elements from S1 put them into an instance and allow players to experience it. A lot of new player complain that they feel lost.

A lot of the open world elements can be modified to fit into instances I believe. The marionette can be scaled back in difficulty, you put all the biconics and yourself into 1 lane, you include the 3 phased boss fights and boom you’ve got a marionette instance. Battle for LA, you make that slightly more linear, you fight a number of small skirmishes (and giant clockworks) until you reach the giant floating drill, and then the next instance is a scaled version of the Scarlet hologram fight, followed by the Scarlet Stomp. You can basically do the same with flame and frost (although it might end up being a lot like the current fractal so maybe it would need a bit of a twist) and with Southsun, Tower of Nightmare etc. A lot of the LW content can for the most part be placed in an instanced allowing players to experience the story. Doing so will also offer opportunity to improve on some narrative elements you felt were lacking or unclear.

Which is why it’s likely not on top priority. Reworking old content for the story journal is likely not on anyone’s top priority list. Especially with players screaming that they want new content.

But it does feel as though it could be planned out. Place holder entries can be added to the story journal and then as time goes by pieces (not necessarily in a sequential) order can be added, based on the difficulty of converting it. It’s not ideal but it would provide a sense of progress.

With that in mind, it would be easy for a lot of LS1 instances to be rebranded with an NPC standing outside saying, “Man, I remember being here when we had that huge assault on the Tower of Nightmares. Hundreds of brave adventurers charging in, and almost as many bodies being carted out again. It was, to put it bluntly, nightmarish.”

This would be the… easy I guess. But do we need a NPC talking about the past? Currently in the personal story (as others have noted) simply having a green star floating around is fine. Unless ANet considered proper phasing mechanics (and by proper I don’t means WoW or ESOs practically instanced phasing).

Although from a narrative perspective, do we want to cut off access to a part of the story? Maybe do both solo instance and group raid, but tweaks were needed.
I know I’d hate it if important story and narrative elements were cut off to me because I couldn’t find X-number of component people to do it with me…

with raids, absolutely.

So many people wanting raids… I don’t disagree with raids, but isn’t it going to be just as much work to turn it into a raid as it would be to turn it into a solo, or small group instance?

My personal preference, is to make the living story season 1 into narrative episodes, rather than just recreating the events. So like, you learn about the fight against the marionette, rather than fight her. This is probably less than what people are hoping, but I think it would be easier to do then scaling down everything for 1-5 people.

But why? Why not scale back the difficult of some of the marionette mobs and then close the other lanes and have you and the bi-conics fighting in one lane? Why’s everyone jumping between two extremes? (that is raids, or not at all). How about we have a small scaled back instance of Marionnete (for story purposes) and then we can have the big 30 man or whatever raid, with more difficult mechanics and needing more coordination.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

How about, before we move onto another dragon, Anet would make a nice raid for Zhaitan – i.e. Final Battle?

Asking for this, only because I find it utterly silly to make a huge fuss about Elder dragons, being the strongest, blablabla and they’re sprayed with RAID and die.

I actually expect a more complex fight against Zhaitan than it’s now against Tequatl the Sunless.
Since Anet does work on RAID system, which they may finish before Mordermoth will kick the bucket, then maybe fix that Zhaitan battle which was written on a knee in the park?

I understand it’s old content by now, but it still could be promissing which would be most welcomed by majority of players anyway.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

Personally I have no need to replay (and for some parts, play) LS season 1. I missed S2 completely and cba to play that even, but probably will in the future. However, I have no problem with Arenanet making S1 playable for people that missed it. But perhaps, a different idea for the community…

There are dozens of people that love GW, its lore and have some type of artistic skill (something I lack).

Maybe create a storyflow with some community input, a summary of S1, created by the community? :p

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I think the biggest obstacle to making S1 repeatable is GW2’s current instancing system; it uses the current map rather than a completely separate instance (which is why our personal stories keep dropping us in ruined LA despite being in the past), so if they made something like the Marionette’s fight instanced there would be two immediate problems:

1) There would be no platforms to fight the Marionette from (also she’d be dancing on her own corpse).
2) It wouldn’t make sense to defend the lanes while waiting for the teleporter because it’s no longer a cliff there, just a gentle slope that you can stroll up.

ANet really needs to make instances use their own time-appropriate maps to avoid inconsistencies and bugs. As an added bonus the environmental artists and event designers don’t have to watch their work get flushed down the toilet after every chapter.

Valento.9852

Phasing.

/15charrs

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Phasing.

/15charrs

Using phasing to make instanced maps different from the current map? That’s certainly one way to do it, though it functionally wouldn’t be any different from just having the instance reference a different map entirely.

Phasing for open world events wouldn’t work at all though. Can you imagine what it would be like to have a few people trying to fight the tricolor knights in the middle of LA, screaming at everyone there to get out so people who want to do the event can actually join? Or people in Lornar’s Pass screaming at guilds to do their bounty hunts/rushes elsewhere (granted this happened during the actual event as well)? It’s really meant for small changes, like hiding a quest NPC or showing trails for tracking quests, but gets really awkward when applied to large scale events or enemies that can be fought.

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

with raids, absolutely.

So many people wanting raids… I don’t disagree with raids, but isn’t it going to be just as much work to turn it into a raid as it would be to turn it into a solo, or small group instance?

yes..and no. Yes it would probably take about as much effort turning it into raid content as a solo or 5 man instance, but if raids will come to fruition anyway, this is a good a set of content as any to implement within that framework.

I dont think that it is necessarily the ONLY way it could logically work for the sake of the story part of season 1, however, events such as LA and marionette and things like that may well be easier and more “historically accurate”/similar to their original implementation to rebalance to 3-4 5man groups than to solo or single party content.

I dont know where, programatically/physically the mists/wvw/fractals etc are in relation to the normal world map, but I would imagine that a second LA/small area of Lornars pass (thats where marionette was right?) could exist in the same area/plane.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Certainly the party instanced stuff can be done like “flashback” type missions (similar to the historic missions from GW1), but the open world stuff presents a bigger issue.

1. They could do it with actual alternate instances of entire zones (but there would be a LOT to consider in doing this type of “parallel, back in time” of an entire zone….not to mention the server resources that would potentially require). scheduled RAID type instances would certainly be an option for some of it (Scarlet Invasions, Marionette, etc.)
  2. They could represent the open world events as slideshow or maybe even limited rendered videos (but that would take a LOT of graphics work and wouldn’t really be “playing” season 1).
  3. Simple pages in the journal to tell the story for the non-party instanced events (this is much more likely, but will likely be unsatisfying for both players and the dev team).

Just my thoughts.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Cross.6437

Cross.6437

There’s nothing I would love more than a chance to redo lost shores, given that the crippling lag pretty much prevented me from experiencing it the first time around.

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

There’s nothing I would love more than a chance to redo lost shores, given that the crippling lag pretty much prevented me from experiencing it the first time around.

Yeah, me too. That weekend event I had an extremely awful experience with as I am sure others did too, though I was able to finish it solely because I was in a party and was able to switch back to the overflow I kept getting booted from by the game. That was the only time I had GW2 client crash on me repeatedly in one day and was the first time that dreaded high pitch whistling sound would start playing over the game’s audio. I read that some players still experience that sound whenever I read up on the audio sub-forum, but luckily I have only experienced it briefly only 1 more time since The Lost Shores.

All the glitches and over-taxed server issues aside, I bet that event would have been a real blast if Anet had been more prepared to run it and would definitely love to play a stable version of it, even if it were a more downscaled instanced version with just NPCs and 4 other players in the party.

I’m hoping that they will have S1 in the story journal next year since they seem to have a focus on new players now. It seems like it’d be the perfect time to get this out during this focus (like feature patch 3 maybe?) and hopefully before S3 starts but that seems like just a pipe dream of mine.

Valento.9852

Why not just load that instance’s version of the map? It’s not really any different from any instance, they’ll be just using old terrain/assets, and we always download tons of GB’s of data that stay there but aren’t used afterwards anyways. Just a matter of instance terrain/asset check (just map corresponding data?).

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Well, one thing we now know for certain. There has actually been zero internal discussion on the subject, if an ANet employee came into the thread thinking this.

Nope, we can only say for certain that Gaile hasn’t been involved in any internal discussions that may (or may not) have occurred on the subject.

Personally, I don’t think this is being actively worked on at this point in time. There may have been some high-level internal discussions on how to do this, but no resources have been committed to the project.

BTW, love the name!

Michael Walker.8150

Although from a narrative perspective, do we want to cut off access to a part of the story? Maybe do both solo instance and group raid, but tweaks were needed.
I know I’d hate it if important story and narrative elements were cut off to me because I couldn’t find X-number of component people to do it with me…

it’s difficult, either create solo-able instances or have people group up to experience the story, which is already happening in dungeons but unless most of the story is summarized by a narrator or available as a cutscene, there will always be the problem of less desirable content where you have a hard time finding people.
We are talking permanent content now though, so this shouldn’t be as much of a problem I think.

Also, as I see it, guilds are mostly interested in challenging content for more than 5 people with great rewards that help to build the guilds’ community. they make their own stories basically.

Since the content has to be refitted to the new standard anyway, the devs could isolate instances where important parts of the story have been given to the player during or by large scale combat and present them in an instanced version.

Scarlet’s invasions didn’t bring that much story for instance.

as many have pointed out, having too many copies of a map causes too much traffic, my suggestion would be to have re-runs of the large scale events during different times.

have the “real” open world events on rotation, attack on LA one day and Karka on another.
also helps to check potential farms or add precursors to the market if need be.

Otherwise there are demanding events running on entire maps with 10 participating players while 2’000’000 are fixing sign posts.

tl;dr
small LS1 content gets converted to the journal style and the open world events could be raids. have the biggest events on rotation to help save traffic.

Posted by: Thia.4891

Thia.4891

Replay Season 1 of the Living Story? We can’t even replay the original Personal Story!

(Sigurdas MoonEyes and Ronja) (Myrin Crowneguarde) (Yarza Steelfang) (Luqq) (Nevnia)

Posted by: Niteraven.1372

Niteraven.1372

I, for one, would love to see the season one story!

“When I was your age, progeny, we used 20 sided dice.. and we LIKED it!!!” ~~ Berddi

Posted by: gtg.7208

gtg.7208

I too wish to replay season 1, maybe in a form of past memory.

Posted by: Kurogami.9210

Kurogami.9210

Well, I don’t think that all of Season 1 needs to be replayable. One of the more important things would be the events when our characters met Rox, Braham, Marjory etc.
I could imagine that new players want to know how we became the leader of this merry band of misfits and only being able to find out about this by reading through the living story recap seems a little bit dissatisfying.

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

Thinking on that how is Season’s 2 content going to relate to future game updates? After we kill Mordremoth is Dry Top and The Silverwastes going to be lock off to us since it might not relate to Seasons 3 content?

What I mean is are the Zephyrites going to be crying over their wreckage until the end of time? Is the town of Prosperity going to be attack non-stop by Mordrem? Is the Pact going to be always preparing for battle in The Silverwastes? Is Fort Salma and Concordia going to be destroyed forever and is Lion’s Arch never going to be fully rebuilt?

Saying Season 1 content can’t be reintroduced into the game since “it won’t make sense given the changes that has happened in-game” I’m surprised Orr wasn’t lock out to players that finished their personal storyline since Zhaitan was killed and his corruption was driven back because it might be confusing to players to go back their and all the NPC’s are acting like Zhaitan is still alive.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i remember in gw1 if you transfered a Factions character to Nightfall for example and did the previous missions on that campaign it said something like:
You are about to experience things that happened before your arrival in Elona now

you could just offer it as something like that..
players get to know that these things already happened and wont be irritated then
but at least other players can experience it too then
(ofc the big world events like LA under attack cant just be redone but all the story instances at least and maybe some informative texts to what happened in between for those parts that cant be repeated)

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

i remember in gw1 if you transfered a Factions character to Nightfall for example and did the previous missions on that campaign it said something like:
You are about to experience things that happened before your arrival in Elona now

you could just offer it as something like that..
players get to know that these things already happened and wont be irritated then
but at least other players can experience it too then
(ofc the big world events like LA under attack cant just be redone but all the story instances at least and maybe some informative texts to what happened in between for those parts that cant be repeated)

Exactly

For someone that just started playing, Marjory, Kasmeer, Brahman, Rox and Taimi acting like they have known the players character for a long time and always going back to how they defeated Scarlett together might be more confusing than playing a mission where Lions Arch looks different than it does when they visit it in-game.

Take the very beginning of Season 2. If someone didn’t know who Scarlett was, what she was doing and what she did they are already lost.

Player: Who’s Scarlett?
Anet: Just read Season 1 recap to get caught up.
Player: It would be more fun to play the missions I missed in Season 1 to get caught up.
Anet: No, it wouldn’t relate to what’s happening in Season 2.
Player: But knowing who Scarlett was and seeing what she did rather than read about it does relate to what’s going on since it connects to the very beginning of Season 2 and again it would be more fun.
Anet: No it wouldn’t relate. Also reading is more fun.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

(edited by joshc.3129)