Any progression on the DirectX11 renderer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: savov.3712

savov.3712

Q:

With all the talk from last weeks reveal of DirectX12 on Game Developer Conference and how it will help CPU bound games, I was thinking, What happened to the DirectX11 implementation for Guild Wars 2? It was hinted long ago, before the release, that a team is working on it, but since then I have not seen any info on the subject.

Question is, are the developers following the hardware tendencies and is such an option still “on the table”?

My two cents are, if half the hype around DX12 is true, it could really help the game performance wise. (which is known to be heavy cpu bound)

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

64bit client would be amazing.

Posted by: Zexall.6305

Zexall.6305

the game has been out for a long time now , i highly doubt they will spend ressources on that. if the game stay popular long enough its more likely that they would upgrade to dx12 instead. would be a better investment in time and ressources as dx 11 is at the end of its life for triple A titles.

it all depends of how customised * their engine is already .
it takes 2-3 years to develop a really good engine not many company have the ressource to do it as well and most likely uses highly modified *old engines

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Whatever they do, they should do finally something, that stops the stupid performance limitation of multi core pcs.

Anet wants always to do the best thign, thats for for as many people as possible, so if they want to improve the game performance for as many peoople as possible, its brtter to make the step from DX9 to DX11, because chances are much better, that most people will have lesser problems with that, then an upgrade to DX12 would be, if DX12 should be supported only by Windows 8 for example, when most latest gaming pcs out there are running on Windows 7.

64bit client version would be also awesome. This would especially improve the game performance ALOT cause of windows being able then to adress more tasks of the CPU and we all know, that GW2 is an extreme CPU heavy game.
With a 64bit client, the game could make finalyl full usage of my 16GB RAM, instead of being limited to stupid 4GB >.>

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

They could just wait for those DX12 CPU overhead/threading optimizations before considering going back to engine work.

Wasting time on a D3D 11 renderer is completely pointless.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

(edited by Spiuk.8421)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You are all enticed by magical words aren’t you?

64-bit client would only buy the game the ability to use more system memory to hold the game data. The performance improvement would be minimum because currently often fetched data that isn’t in the game’s memory space is still around in the disk cache memory space assuming you have a decent amount of system memory (8GB or higher). 64-bit won’t make the code run faster or enable better multithreaded/core support.

Dx11 on it’s own won’t buy the game a lot of performance either. The big advantage of Dx11 is that it’s thread safe, meaning you can split the renderer into multiple threads, across multiple cores and it’s that feature that buys you the bulk of performance improvement.

Dx12, well Microsoft hasn’t decided if Dx12 will be ported to Windows 7, where I imagine most of the player base is using. That’s why plain old Dx11 would be the likely path of upgrade if ANet decides to take another crack at the renderer. But that is not a small task.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: savov.3712

savov.3712

Well, I’m not expecting DX11 and/or 12 to be implemented in the game anytime soon. I’m just curious what is the current statement from Anet on the matter.

On a performance note, I played the ChinaGW2 beta this weekend and the performance overall was noticeable better then our “west” client. Maybe by at least 20 or so percents, based on the frames taken from the same spots in both games.
Here is hoping in the Feature Pack we will see some improvements on this front as well.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

the game has been out for a long time now , i highly doubt they will spend ressources on that. if the game stay popular long enough its more likely that they would upgrade to dx12 instead. would be a better investment in time and ressources as dx 11 is at the end of its life for triple A titles.

it all depends of how customised * their engine is already .
it takes 2-3 years to develop a really good engine not many company have the ressource to do it as well and most likely uses highly modified *old engines

We already know from their own early press releases that ANet uses a highly modified decade-old engine for GW2. I doubt that we will ever see any substantive changes to the core of this game. There are FAR simpler changes to the game than upgrading to DX11 that have been totally off the table here.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

With the launch in China, a DX11 renderer is probably less likely than ever, with 80%+ of the install base over there still using Win XP.

Behellagh.1468

Well according to StatCounter XP is now down to 47%, slightly less than Win 7, 8 and 8.1 combine. Anyways gamers will be using upscale rigs even if it’s at a PC gaming cafe.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-CN-daily-20140223-20140324-map

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Well according to StatCounter XP is now down to 47%, slightly less than Win 7, 8 and 8.1 combine. Anyways gamers will be using upscale rigs even if it’s at a PC gaming cafe.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-CN-daily-20140223-20140324-map

That’s in China. The worldwide graph is very different.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-daily-20140223-20140324-bar

Behellagh.1468

Yes but Naqaj was saying it was 80%+ in China. I was pointing out he was wrong.

RIP City of Heroes