Any tips to speed up the leveling process?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DarthInvadeHer.9861

DarthInvadeHer.9861

Okay so i recently returned to gw2 after like one and a half years break, and started up a necromancer. But my god is it tedious to level up, now bear with me, i have leveled atleast 10 other characters to 80 in the past, so going for the 100% completion in areas is just not that fun anymore.

Even though its been so long since i did this content, its still fresh in my memory from the many other times i did it, and is therefore hard to force myself through.

I’m currently sitting at around 25 hours on my necro, and it is only level 50, and that was with using the free lvl 20 tome.
Does anyone have any tips on how i can get to 80 a bit faster? boosters? if so which ones, and where do i use it?

I’m not much for pvp, but i’d atleast be willing to do wvw if its just zerging, but is that faster than generel exploring? because i find that rather boring too.
Dungeons certainly arent much of an option, since noone seems willing to go with a person below lvl 80.

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

Super fast: Craft 3x discplines to 400. Will cost 30 gold but you will be done in 3 hours. Maybe less if you follow a crafting guide.

EDIT: Removed other options

(edited by ionix.9054)

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Events have more xp. As you are traveling around the map do every event that pops up.

Posted by: Pistol Joe.3741

Pistol Joe.3741

EOTM

/15 chars

Beer Belly Joe – SoS NA

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

EOTM

/15 chars

…with any xp boost/food u can get + Daily pvp for tomes.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Do personal story and story dungeons if you can remember them because once you know them they are a rapid source of XP. Try to do the dailies, the little scrolls give you some XP boost as well. Some lvl up tomes can be acquired through log in rewards iirc.
Always use food/consumables and don’t forget to gather on maps. If you have enough money/material, crafting is also a good source of XP.
I don’t remember exactly how old she is but I recently started a new Mesmer and in a comparable amount of time she is around lvl 75 without lvl 20 scrolls nor setting a foot in EOTM.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

The new XP boosters are awesome. If you’re really against buying them, you can get one from the personal story lvl 40 (2nd mission I think). Find a place where the mobs have been alive for a while and then stack up the killstreak + xp with food and utility buffs and watch how fast the bar moves. Toss in some map exploration and an event here or there (new boost affects all sources of xp) and you’re set.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Get all the exp buffs you can and do the Halloween content. Stay with the Zerg and kill, kill, kill.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

-From daily rewards you can take “20 rits of exp” trade them with “Miyani” (The NPC from mystic forge) for a tome of knowledge.

-Once you are able to get there, Do Teq every day.

-As others have said Crafting is extremely effective.

Posted by: Xstein.2187

Xstein.2187

Rough Sharpening Stone-10% exp from kills
Weak potion of Centaur Slaying-10% exp from kills
Bowl of Candy Corn Custard-15% from kills
Experience infusion (with the ascended amulet)-20% exp from kills
total = 55% from kills

Lunar New Year Fireworks-10% exp from all sources
Guild Exp Banner-5% exp
Experience Booster-50% exp in all game types (from all sources)
total experience for all sources-65%

As far as I am aware, you can use all these experience sources at the same time.

Lägertha Lothbrök: PvE Mesmer
Schrödingers Clone: PvP Mesmer

Just a flesh wound.3589

total = 55% from kills

Guild Exp Banner-5% exp

As far as I am aware, you can use all these experience sources at the same time.

Ah, thank you. I had completely forgotten about the potions. I’ll have to get me some.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah. If you’re planning on leveling fast, you can farm the Halloween minions in the labyrinth. You should be able to stack enough boosters to get over 400% more XP per kill.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

One thing I found that helps for repeating content with different characters is to go all out in making the skill set unique. For day-to-day PvE stuff, I tend to run face-roll builds that allow me to type messages and participate even while stuff dies quickly and there’s little risk of death-by-chat.

However, for leveling, I try to set up each prof to take advantage of class mechanics. This way, the approach is fresh, even if I’ve done the content 8x already. Minionmancer for necro maybe (since my typical PvE has no minions — but reverse that if you did MM before).

Of course, the other suggestions above are also good: crafting, EotM, PvP (on any toon, then transfer the level up items), and XP-boosting buffs. It’s more a matter of if you want to find a new approach or just get it over with — I’m sympathetic to both approaches.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Do events in as high a level zone as possible. Do hearts in as low a level zone as possible. If you find an event next to a heart? Double win!

There are places on the map that have events running pretty much all the time. Northern Wayfarer Foothills (several metaevents near each other). The festival in Diessa Plateau (handily near where the Wayland events are). The centaur war in Kessex Hills (plus the toxic creatures) can have you running from events to event constantly. Plus there are plenty of other events that either spawn quickly or are on a schedule (like bosses, which usually have a few preevents).

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

total = 55% from kills

Guild Exp Banner-5% exp

I don’t know if the Improved Experience booster can still be crafted. Before, we could put 5 xp booster (50%) in the mystic forge with other stuff and get the improved version (100%). But that was before the new xp booster.

You forgot the celebratory bonus of 100% from Birthday or Celebratory booster.

The guild Karma and Experience ou Heroic Banner give you 10% instead of the 5% from the simple Guild Experience banner.

There is a guild bonus of 5% xp from kill. The bonus is guild wide and last for 24 hours.

Bowl of Candy Corn Ice Cream give you 15% experience from every source, but cost 7 silver instead of a couple of cooper for food that give you 15% xp from kills.

Achievement also give you permanent account wide experience boost.

- Tome of Knowledge is the fastest way if you have them.
- Crafting to 400 give you around 7 levels, while crafting to 500 give you 10 levels. It’s never worth getting to 500 just for leveling. But getting to 400 isn’t bad. Cooking will cost you 3-4 gold for 7 levels, artificer and jeweler will cost you 10-12 gold, while the remaining profession will cost you between 21 and 26 gold.
- Mad King Labyrinth is the best way to gain xp while playing.
- EOTM is the best permanent way to gain xp while playing.
- Dungeon is really efficient, while giving you good amount of gold, but it have restriction that EotM don’t.

Those are to my knowledge the best ways to get xp fast.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

total = 55% from kills

Guild Exp Banner-5% exp

Sharpening stones and slaying potions are both Nourishment (wrench icon) and I don’t think they can be used at the same time.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Here’s what I do when trying to speed lvl, IF I don’t have tomes of knowledge on hand.

I gather all my boosters, mostly B-day, celebration, general pve Xp boosts which seem to have kill streak added (it’s nice).

Then I mostly stay in lvl 1-15, lvl 15-30, lvl 30-45/50 zones. Since there’s Kryta, Ascalon, Maguuma and Shiverpeak starting zones, that’s plenty to hit 80
(you’ll be scaled down and will still earn Xp). I do a mix of hearts, events, and story if I’m close to the next level. With Exp and kill streak boosters, just keep killing hostiles or anything with a yellow colored name over it’s head to reset the timer.

Or if you have 80+ tomes, just use those. I’ve tried EoTM and pvp, neither really clicked for me. But I still manage to do it in a 72 hour window.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Just a flesh wound.3589

total = 55% from kills

Guild Exp Banner-5% exp

Sharpening stones and slaying potions are both Nourishment (wrench icon) and I don’t think they can be used at the same time.

Yeah, you’re right. Both are the wrench icon and only one can be used.

Darn it. >.>

ANet may give it to you.