Any way to throttle the streaming client?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I have satellite internet so downloading stuff takes up my monthly allowance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

DO you mean the way it continues downloading while you’re playing the game? If you open up the in game settings F11, then in there is a setting for the streaming client. I think it lets you limit when it does it (as in, when the connection is idle etc).
Hopefully that helps?

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

You likely want the “on demand” setting given in the streaming options.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Diruuo.6314

Diruuo.6314

I had always assumed the “off” version is the “Idle” option… Some more clarity on those options would be appreciated.

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

I had always assumed the “off” version is the “Idle” option… Some more clarity on those options would be appreciated.

Idle just streams content when your connection is idle. There is no “off” setting.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Jon Olson
Gameplay Programmer

On-demand asks the game to download content only when the game requires it. This setting is useful for those who have data caps to worry about. This setting may cause issues of models popping in. This is the exact behavior “Off” had, we simply renamed it to better indicate its behavior.

Idle will stream in content while your connection is generally idle. This is useful if you’re going to be playing in the same map for some time, so that the general impact to your gameplay should be minimal.

Max will stream-in content as fast as it possibly can. This is most like leaving the launcher to fully patch.

The Streaming Client will prioritize items you interact with in your inventory, wardrobe, gem store, etc. When a piece of ui content is interacted with, if the content isn’t already on disk, it will overlay the spinner to indicate that the content is being downloaded. Do note that if you interact with a bunch of inventory items it could degrade performance as those items are given much higher priority. Once downloaded it may take a few moments before the item displays on screen in the wardrobe, for example.

What happens when a new client becomes available? No behavior has changed in this regard. You will need to update your client first before the streaming starts back up.

How do I opt-out? The best way to avoid being impacted by the streaming is to fully patch in the launcher before you start the game.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Content-Streaming-needs-adjustment/first#post5136668

Posted by: DavidGX.7240

DavidGX.7240

It’s probably good that they renamed it, if it’s ever going to downloading anything then that’s not really an “off” setting.

“Those who go mad are merely thoughtful souls who failed to reach any conclusions.”

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Alright thanks for the info. Looks like there some new, cool camera options as well.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

if you have a decent router, you can throttle it to whatever you like in there… but that depends on your router software…