Anybody DONT want Pax to be an Xpac?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I would like to see both sides on this expansion debate.
Are there any people here that DONT WANT THE PAX REVEAL TO BE AN EXPANSION?
if so, share your view point on why you don’t want Anet to reveal an Expansion.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m less concerned about it being an expansion and more concerned about what an expansion might bring to the table.

Let’s say that the level cap goes up. That may or may not be a problem for me, depending on how it’s handled. But I have 23 80s, all in max level gear.

If I have to gear them all up again, that’s not going to be fun.

Posted by: Vampire.8654

Vampire.8654

I want it to be an xpac but at the same time I want to read all the rage and qq if/when they just announce living story season 3

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

It depends on what they put in the xpac, really. If they boost the level cap, I’ll be kittened. One of the best things about GW1 was the flat gear stat cap at max level and the fact that max level never changed with every expansion.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I do not care which form the “expansion” takes: traditional boxed, DLC, paid, free – I think ANet did a great job with choosing relatively fair monetization policies in the past.

I simply expect a large bunch of new content – preferably open-world PvE zones, dungeons/fractals and skins. Not particularly interested in new personal stories and more achievements which feel like a waste of time (I guess that will be their actual focus though), or even new classes/races/weapons for that matter.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: BeVa.4895

BeVa.4895

How about we just wait for the announcement and then make our conclussions?
I can’t tell if I want an expansion if I do not know what they would do with one.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Depends greatly on the content being released with the expansion, if indeed there is one.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

I don’t mind added levels (they said it’s within realm of possibility) but I doubt they will add it anytime soon, gw was never about levels.

I want expansion and I am open for everything, I am not casual player and I do adapt, so bring it on, w/e u bring I will welcome it with open hands, just change and shake things!

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Increasing the level cap is a deal-breaker for me.
I’m fine with new weapons/classes as long as they are paired with a complete rebalance of all existing weapons and classes.
New races don’t interest me.
New maps are only good if they are designed well (like Silverwastes or Dry Top, we already have plenty of “hurry and level through this area, then never come back” maps).

In this day and age, expansions are no longer needed but instead represent a relic from a bygone period in gaming history. We can continuously add content in a natural expansion of the game without the need for a sudden upending of everything (with a large sticker price).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Mikali.9651

That is your opinion, about expansions not longer being needed.
For me they are needed. Getting few stuff here and there, in such slow time is bad deal for me.
Alright, LS was interesting for me, but after 2 1/2 years it aint enough.

I am in need of new big content so I can play when and for how many hours I can.
Playing 2 hours every month or so of added content is just laughable.

mtpelion.4562

That is your opinion, about expansions not longer being needed.
For me they are needed. Getting few stuff here and there, in such slow time is bad deal for me.
Alright, LS was interesting for me, but after 2 1/2 years it aint enough.

I am in need of new big content so I can play when and for how many hours I can.
Playing 2 hours every month or so of added content is just laughable.

Then good news! There are plenty of games that still cater to your old-world expectations. New games are moving away from that model though, so if you want to continue to be entertained you’re going to have to reevaluate why you demand everything all at once.

Mikali.9651

old-world expectations? Only “mmo” I’ve played for years is guild wars 1.
All others I tried, played a bit and then stopped.
I also played counter strike for years, same as LoL, and both games didnt have expansions.

You are saying things you don’t know.
What I demand is something frekitten
his game was stagnate for too long.
My demans are really that high huh? Please.

edit. saying fr.esh! is curse word? lol?

mtpelion.4562

I also played counter strike for years, same as LoL, and both games didnt have expansions.

What I demand is something frekittenhis game was stagnate for too long.

You’re getting fresh, free stuff every 2-4 weeks and complaining you are getting a stagnate game… so yeah, your demands are pretty ridiculous.

Posted by: Allelya.6830

Allelya.6830

Increasing the level cap is a deal-breaker for me.

I’ve always said- releasing GW2 with level cap already 80 was not a smart move. They could have really extended gameplay (and lessened A LOT of QQ) had they released it with level cap at say 60. Then gradually release zones/content for level 70 and then to level 80, and then the Living Story.

I may be wrong but even though they spent SEVERAL years on making GW2 (base before Living Story), it seems now that they just make things “on the fly”. But that’s just me.

Delvien – d/d Elementalist – Gates of Madness

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Well, buying 4 xpacs doesn’t thrill me for some odd reason.

Mikali.9651

You’re getting fresh, free stuff every 2-4 weeks and complaining you are getting a stagnate game… so yeah, your demands are pretty ridiculous.

what is fresh in it? I don’t see it I’m sorry, LS isn’t my cup of tea at all. PvE wasnt my cup of tea at all in pretty much all games, but I do enjoy it in guild wars games.
What I need is fresh things like skills, weapons, new combinations, new meta, something that will change the way I’m playing the game. (and the most I want is, breaking the stacking meta)

I don’t get that in LS and PvP is really in bad spot in this game.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

We’re also running that fresh, free content with the same five races we had two.x years ago, and the same five weapon skills on our weapon of choice, and a choice of three utility skills from a pool that hasn’t grown since launch. It’s entirely possible for stagnation to set in even if the game is being updated regularly.

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

I’m less concerned about it being an expansion and more concerned about what an expansion might bring to the table.

Let’s say that the level cap goes up. That may or may not be a problem for me, depending on how it’s handled. But I have 23 80s, all in max level gear.

Even if gearing them up again is the case, I can’t see a reason why anyone like you would have to gear 23 characters immediately. I mean, come on, you have to realize yourself how ridiculous this argument is. It’s not like you’ll have to play all of them at once or something.

You are an alt-savy person with a lot of time to put into this game, make 23 characters for some reason and then expect to be done for life? I mean a person who struggles to exp and gear one character may be afraid of future progress if it lands with an expansion, not a person with an army of finished toons.

Also, additional progression would be a blast for me because I only play two characters, max them out and that’s how the story goes.

Leman

leman.7682

What is ridiculous is your attitude. First you assume Living Story is working for the majority and is the ‘way of the future’. Then you deny a fellow player the right to have it the other way with one of the stupidest arguments on these forums (the game’s not for you).
Your problem is, you don’t understand the issue here and are too fixated on defending the Living World concept to see that.

Leman

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well I got 15 lvl 80’d mostly in part or full asc lvl 80 gear If the cap would change I would be very unhappy indeed…

As for area’s and whishes, I have none, anything will be great juast as long if it makes the game alive again. not that it’s dead now, I just hope it will sparkle again.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Even if gearing them up again is the case, I can’t see a reason why anyone like you would have to gear 23 characters immediately. I mean, come on, you have to realize yourself how ridiculous this argument is. It’s not like you’ll have to play all of them at once or something.

You are an alt-savy person with a lot of time to put into this game, make 23 characters for some reason and then expect to be done for life? I mean a person who struggles to exp and gear one character may be afraid of future progress if it lands with an expansion, not a person with an army of finished toons.

Also, additional progression would be a blast for me because I only play two characters, max them out and that’s how the story goes.

It’s not a ridiculous argument for one reason.

I played Guild Wars 1 for six years and never EVER had to upgrade my armor or weapons. That’s what this franchise was built around. Not a gear treadmill. Not upgrading gear constantly.

What’s ridiculous is thinking that because you want to upgrade all your gear, the Guild Wars playerbase is going to take that on the nose. It’s not how the game was laid out before many of us bought it, it’s not expected for the franchise, and even here on the forums today, there are posts about even raising the level cap being a deal breaker.

The reality is that this game was predicated on the idea of horizontal rather than vertical progression.

If Anet tries to add vertical progression, whether you think I’m reasonable or not, there’s going to be a war on these forums.

Even the addition of ascended gear caused an outcry that went far beyond what some would consider reasonable, but it happened for a reason.

It was a tear in the fabric from which the Guild Wars games were woven.

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

If the level cap went up rendering ascended gear obsolete I would probably quit. This isn’t gear that we acquired by RNG from dungeon bosses or something like that. It’s gear we’ve spent our hard earned gold, laurels, and time crafting/infusing/etc.

IF they designed it to give legendaries a bump, and they made it so that to get another bump in gear between ascended and legendary you had to upgrade your current ascended, then OK, I could deal with that. Or if the level cap went up and the next armor tier was legendary armor, I could deal with that as well.

On the topic, I don’t care if it’s a traditional expansion or not, I just want new, high-quality content. And a lot of it.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I’ll say it now…the announcement is NOT going to be an expansion pack as most people are used to them. No boxed sales, no sales at all imo…no new playable races…maybe, maybe a new class, but highly doubt it…perhaps new weapons for existing classes and maybe a skill or two. What will we get…the war ravaging through the remainder of the Magumma Wastes/Jungle to reach Mordremoth and the Mordremoth battle…with a bunch of side dishes.

The above announcement was brought to you by MY OPINION.

Posted by: corrosivechains.5476

corrosivechains.5476

though relatively new to the game and still have a lot to do and catch up on, an expansion doesn’t seem too bad to me, though like others expressed I’d like to see it done in a less “traditional” sense. Level cap should stay where it is and new PvE content/maps should be added to the existing level ranges. The constant moving of the goal posts expansions in other MMO’s brings gets redundant and really is trap to both developers and players.

Growing up on MUDs, one of the most exciting things was addition of new zones, they didn’t try to add new level caps, they integrated them into the world as it existed. With how levels in the different zones work in this game it’d work easily within the framework to go back to that sort of system.

Would be nice to see some new races, weapons(like great-axes/halberds off the top of my head), pets for the pet oriented classes, new engineer kits(would love a sniper kit, I wanna be Matthew Quigley, was disappointed that rifles == shotguns), etc.

EDIT: just apologizing for some of the redundancy of my post, still waking up

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I do want it to be an expansion. I do not want it to be traditional. I’m genuinely curious to see what ANet is going to announce at PAX South.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Personally the way I see it more is always better. I am all for an expansion as long as we don’t have to wait 6+ months before we see any new content. I hope this doesn’t mean living story will stop. The game could get stale fast if it went too many months without a content update. If Anet can deliver expansions and living story it would do a lot for the state of the game.

Other than that I don’t have any real concern about what they would add…. it would be kinda silly to up the level cap. It wouldn’t really do anything for the game and they would have to redesign a lot of existing content to balance it. Don’t think they would do that.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’ll say it now…the announcement is NOT going to be an expansion pack as most people are used to them. No boxed sales, no sales at all imo…no new playable races…maybe, maybe a new class, but highly doubt it…perhaps new weapons for existing classes and maybe a skill or two. What will we get…the war ravaging through the remainder of the Magumma Wastes/Jungle to reach Mordremoth and the Mordremoth battle…with a bunch of side dishes.

The above announcement was brought to you by MY OPINION.

I think you’re pretty close. I also don’t expect any new race, potentially a new class, and maybe some weapons. More skills would be very nice, but balance is already an issue, and they certainly need to be careful about stuff like that.

What I really don’t want is for it to be a paid expansion. I sank enough money into this game when I bought the Collector’s Edition, and I really don’t feel like buying more of the game. Additionally, a paid expansion would split the playerbase by who has the content and who doesn’t, something GW2 has been particular about not doing thus far. Fortunately, I don’t think this will be the case, as they’ve been hyping this as “a new framework” for MMO’s to expand their universes, and a paid expansion is exactly the old framework.

One thing I would VERY much like to see, though: the ability to save and load builds (at least in non-PvP zones).

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Oh for the love of..
The naysayers had their precious Living Story for 2 years now.
Let us have our Expansion please.. I don’t care wether it’s a boxed sale or if it’s digital. As long as the content is traditional expansion content.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

I don’t care so much about if it’s an expansion.

I care more if it’s a paid expansion.

Because I’m not sure if I can justify spending more money on the game.

leman.7682

It’s not a ridiculous argument for one reason.

I played Guild Wars 1 for six years and never EVER had to upgrade my armor or weapons. That’s what this franchise was built around. Not a gear treadmill. Not upgrading gear constantly.

What’s ridiculous is thinking that because you want to upgrade all your gear, the Guild Wars playerbase is going to take that on the nose. It’s not how the game was laid out before many of us bought it, it’s not expected for the franchise, and even here on the forums today, there are posts about even raising the level cap being a deal breaker.

The reality is that this game was predicated on the idea of horizontal rather than vertical progression.

If Anet tries to add vertical progression, whether you think I’m reasonable or not, there’s going to be a war on these forums.

Even the addition of ascended gear caused an outcry that went far beyond what some would consider reasonable, but it happened for a reason.

It was a tear in the fabric from which the Guild Wars games were woven.

You didn’t Read my post correctly.

First of all, you need some sensibility – me writing that I would like some additional progression doesn’t mean I assume whole community would like that. On the contrary, I am showing you the opposite side of the coin.

Secondly, you saying that there are people who dislike traditional gear treadmill is funny because everybody knows that. It’s also a common knowledge that there are people who like grinding (although I presume they are a miniscule part of gw2 community, if even there) and some moderate people, like me, who enjoy improving their characters’ power levels (those surely exist in the community, I know many).

Then, you move on to saying that an introduction of some additional progression would start a war on the forums. Well, I thought of all people you’d understand that forums represent just a small part of the game’s community and cannot stay in the way of improving the game overall.

Another problem is you thinking inside the box when talking about progression. If there was an expansion providing amazing repeatable gameplay in all game modes making it possible to progress through some additional gear system multiple times or on multiple characters at once it could work and I think less people would be against that.

Finally, you didn’t understand the message I tried to send with my post. I tried to gently say that you made 23 characters, grinded them to max gear and now will block anything that works against your perfect world. Well, let me bring it to you -this is life, the more you have the more you have to pay attention to it. And please, telling that gw2 was built on ‘no vertical progression’ marketing is just not true. It was built on ‘no grind’ principal, which arguably wasn’t preserved anyways.

Not trying to start a flame war, but hypocrisy is strong in this one.

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

Average time between any 2 subsequent season 2 updates has been 4 weeks, there has been a large break between seasons 1 and 2 and I have no reason to expect there won’t be a huge break after season 2. Every 4 weeks is a rather optimistic estimate.

What’s more important is what we have actually got since launch which is:
Fractals
3 new maps (one of which I don’t like at all, Southsun, though that is of course subjective).
9 new (healing) skills (I might be missing some though).
2 new PvP maps.
Edge of the Mists.
WvW rank.
8 living stories which I’d think doesn’t come close to half the personal story.
Some updates that are nice but not gameplay related (account wallet/wardrobe).

I may have missed some things but this should be most (note that I’m only counting net gains meaning +3 and -1 PvP maps makes +2 and the amount of dungeon paths added also comes to 0 and only gameplay, ascended added nothing in terms of gameplay and therefore isn’t worth mentioning).

Now GW1 (which had campaigns rather than expansions but the difference isn’t that big) had after 1 year:
A new set of missions I think at least half the size of the original.
New PvP modes.
New maps, also probably more than half of what Prophecies had.
2 new classes.
Many new skills.

And possibly more, it’s been a while since I played it.

That’s GW2 after over 2 years compared to GW1 after one year with the intention of adding that much every half year (the only time that happened (Nightfall) was bigger).

I think that if for GW2 we had gotten one expansion, half the size of Factions, each year we’d have more than we have now.

I really don’t like the DLC method games in general have started using (selling junk without gameplay value for ridiculous prices (compared to their near-zero value) or worse cheat DLC along with the occational piece of actual gameplay that would probably cost more than an expansion if you’d buy an expansion worth of content).

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I’d be just as happy if they didn’t announce an expansion. As a casual player since launch, there are still many things I have yet to complete. My gaming time has been diminished even further due to real life. So although I wouldn’t mind no expac, I understand that many others have run out of things to do and are tired of grinding the same old thing. So if Anet needs an expac to retain players, I certainly understand and will adapt.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I don’t want to be expected to shell out a lump of money for a typical boxed expansion. I’ve contributed enough to the gem store as it is, seeing as the game was sold as B2P with a gem store for sustaining revenue.

I don’t want to see new gear tiers/better equipment. I have few issues with a level raise for new traits, skills, whatever it may be as long as they’re not blatantly overpowered or clearly define a gap between 80 and [new max] and as long as it doesn’t affect equipment.

leman.7682

I don’t want to be expected to shell out a lump of money for a typical boxed expansion. I’ve contributed enough to the gem store as it is, seeing as the game was sold as B2P with a gem store for sustaining revenue.

Good for you! I hope you got a great experience from buying gems and supporting the studio understanding that being a rational economic agent with disposable income optimizing your utility you could but didn’t have to do that and that there was no promise of free future releases attached to your gem purchases.

GW2 was sold as a B2P game and I holds onto that. GW2:HoT can be whatever it wants, including free and B2P.

Cheers!

Leman

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

You would be surprised.

Many players may perma quit game because they have to upgrade/invest in new gear.

Gw2 is one of few games available on market that allows you to have multiple max geared characters and play them however you want.
Typical korean game where “content” is called

• +5 levels
  • new map
  • new mobs
  • new gear to grind for and enchant etc
  • new ways of rng
    Makes you grind new gear on main character for half of that content.

Even if Anet would introduce similar system to Korean one, and introduce such thing, then I probably would drop couple of modes available in game, like dungeons, wvw etc.
And meanwhile, start looking/awaiting new MMO.

In Vayne’s case.
He spent a great amount of time and cash on his all characters, and now due to dev’s whim, everything goes to kittenhole. In that case, if it was me, I probably would uninstall game and mail support to permanently deactivate my account.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

mtpelion.4562

What is ridiculous is your attitude. First you assume Living Story is working for the majority and is the ‘way of the future’. Then you deny a fellow player the right to have it the other way with one of the stupidest arguments on these forums (the game’s not for you).
Your problem is, you don’t understand the issue here and are too fixated on defending the Living World concept to see that.

1. I have no attitude. I’m simply explaining reality.
2. I do not assume that the Living Story is working for anyone. I’m telling you that ArenaNet feels that the Living Story is working to meet THEIR goals.
3. If you go to “Best Burger Ever” and order a pizza, they aren’t going to make you happy. If people tell you not to order pizza at “Best Burger Ever” and you tell them that their argument is stupid… well, let’s just say you may need to look up the definition of “stupid”.
4. I’m not defending the Living Story concept, I’m explaining that it is the way the entire industry is moving.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

I think the vast majority wants an “Expansion” of the current game. Where I see a dispute is the way how this “Expansion” should be delivered. For many players expansion means a box that you buy for money in a shop or via internet.

I and many other players according to posts I read would prefer an expansion based on the Lw concept meaning an episodic approach that allows more real-time changes while the story unfolds. Could an LW approach deliver 6-8 new zones, new weapons, skills and traits for the classes? Sure the LW concept did it already on a lower level. Could an episodic expansion deliver a new race or class? Certainly. Things like new PvP modes or changes to WvW could be introduced at any time.

As a summary we can say that there are people that would dislike an X-pac but would welcome an expansion delivered by other methods..

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

So mutch this… I only got 8 level 80 characters but that is enough.

I am looking forward too an Expac but I am worried about level cap increase, and now after hearing what they have said about level cap before release I am starting to worry. I hope they back down on their word.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Customizable ui is all that matters. They went backwards with this in gw2 compared to gw1. And yes i am still complaining about this.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am more interested in a revamp of the rewards system, Ascended gear specifically, than I am in an expansion. At this point , assuming that it is a paid expansion, I am not sure that I would buy it.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

what is fresh in it? I don’t see it I’m sorry, LS isn’t my cup of tea at all. PvE wasnt my cup of tea at all in pretty much all games, but I do enjoy it in guild wars games.
What I need is fresh things like skills, weapons, new combinations, new meta, something that will change the way I’m playing the game. (and the most I want is, breaking the stacking meta)

I don’t get that in LS and PvP is really in bad spot in this game.

If you think a expansion is going to bring that to you be prepared to be disappointed. This type of stuff is released though normal patches as well as expansion packs.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I want it to be an expansion, but I am worried about the potential side effects it may have on the community based on how they deploy it if it is.

If it’s a paid for, boxed expansion, the community will be segregated on the content they can do. If it’s simply an extension of the living story, then it may simply fizzle out in to the stale content additions and developer silence we have currently, if it’s something entirely different, it may simply not go the way they hoped and it may simply all be a massive let down regardless.

Everything hangs in the balance, and I think ANet are very much aware that the 24th will define the future and long term success of GW2

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Bernie.8674

Bernie.8674

I personally don’t understand why so many people want an expansion. ArenaNet has been constantly giving us additional content for free. Why do players want them to start charging us for it? We’re not getting many new skills. They tried that in Guild Wars 1, and it made managing game balance a nightmare for them. They probably won’t raise the level cap. In fact, one of the reasons I came back to this game was ArenaNet’s aversion to tinkering with level caps. So when I imagine a Guild Wars 2 expansion I see us paying $40 for a new race. I’m not particularly enthusiastic about that idea.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I personally don’t understand why so many people want an expansion. ArenaNet has been constantly giving us additional content for free. Why do players want them to start charging us for it? We’re not getting many new skills. They tried that in Guild Wars 1, and it made managing game balance a nightmare for them. They probably won’t raise the level cap. In fact, one of the reasons I came back to this game was ArenaNet’s aversion to tinkering with level caps. So when I imagine a Guild Wars 2 expansion I see us paying $40 for a new race. I’m not particularly enthusiastic about that idea.

While ANet have been adding additional content, half an hour of predictable story every so often isn’t a good amount of content.

In the time GW2 has been live and given us mini dungeons (fractals), a few new maps and some living story, other games (including FREE TO PLAY games) have given their customers entire new continents, new classes, new equipment types, entirely new system mechanics, new pvp maps and modes, new races, I could go on and on.

While yes, GW2 is free to play and you only pay once, other games that are 100% free to play with 0 obligation to pay for any content throw out massive content updates regularly (and don’t bring up item malls, because we have one too, and I’m sure GW2 has it’s mass spenders as well as any other F2p game).

I would personally much, much prefer waiting several months between content updates and getting substantial updates that take days/weeks/etc to complete than get sporadic content every 2 weeks (between breaks) that gives me content that is done and forgotten in less than an hour (excluding repeating content for achievements which takes 1-2 hours tops with a group).

People are tired on using the same things, they’re tired of the same stale metas, they’re tired on having no more choice in how to play their characters than they did several years ago. This is why a boxed expansion with massive updates and additional mechanical content (classes, races, weapons, etc) are so vital to MMO’s staying alive.

Every single person I talk to regularly that’s been playing the game for over a year says yes, they enjoy the game, but they are also very bored of doing the same things

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Because they see other MMO’s with expansions getting 100x more content then we get and they want that too.

For those saying you don’t want a “traditional” expansion, what would you like to see instead? I have seen multiple people say that, but I am not sure what this new type of expansion would entail, how it would be executed and what it would give us… can you elaborate on what you think it should be?

Posted by: Duka.5864

Duka.5864

I don’t think they will ever rise lvl cup because this game isn’t about that.

Bernie.8674

Because they see other MMO’s with expansions getting 100x more content then we get and they want that too.

For those saying you don’t want a “traditional” expansion, what would you like to see instead? I have seen multiple people say that, but I am not sure what this new type of expansion would entail, how it would be executed and what it would give us… can you elaborate on what you think it should be?

I don’t think this game lends itself to expansions period. I don’t want an expansion for this game. In fact, I would like to pose your question to you. What are you expecting? A “traditional” expansion is more levels, new areas, new classes, new skills, and new races. The reason we have Guild Wars 2 is that ArenaNet realized that the traditional expansion paradigm didn’t fit in with their vision. Adding a new class and a new set of skills every couple of years brought more imbalances to PvP than they could keep up with. Even when they were putting out expansions they neglected to raise the level cap time and again. Given that those options are off the table, an expansion will consist of new areas and/or new races. Since we’re already getting new areas for free that leaves new races. So are you willing to pay $40 to roll a tengu? Because that’s pretty much what I think you can expect out of an ArenaNet expansion.

(edited by Bernie.8674)

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

It’s not about Expansion vs LS or whatever. It’s about the content. Doesn’t matter how it is delivered.

For a few months now I’ve only been playing 30 minutes every 2 weeks for the LS.
I have 12 lvl 80 characters. I have ascended weapons/armors/trinkets. I have a legendary. I have done dungeons, fractals, WvW, PvP, world bosses, etc… Except for those 30 minutes every 2 weeks, there is nothing to keep me playing anymore.

Now, maybe the bosses at ArenaNet don’t care about veterans like me. Maybe they prefer new blood and would prefer if we just stayed away from the game. But if they do want us back, they’re gonna have to give us a lot of content. Doesn’t matter how.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I don’t think they will ever rise lvl cup because this game isn’t about that.

Pre launch Colin said that he was sure that level cap increase would occur.

Bernie.8674

Now, maybe the bosses at ArenaNet don’t care about veterans like me. Maybe they prefer new blood and would prefer if we just stayed away from the game. But if they do want us back, they’re gonna have to give us a lot of content. Doesn’t matter how.

Traditionally a player in your position is on the hunt for the latest and greatest skins. That was the paradigm in Guild Wars 1. In fact, there was no hunt for ascended gear back then. Your character ascended through the story line and then you purchased your end game gear for a nominal price. After that you spent a couple of weeks hunting down the superior runes that you wanted. From then on it was all about finding cooler gear models. As you pointed out, there are plenty of games out there that are more than happy to reset the gear treadmill for you every three months (WoW is a prime example). I, for one, am relieved that this isn’t one of those games. Try playing one of those games for a few years like I did, and then come back and tell me how much fun it was to have your character’s gear reset to sub-par status every three months.