Anyone else crushed by the precursor dump?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lenpup.3765

lenpup.3765

Hello, perhaps someone could point me toward a thread where a conversation about this is taking place? I’ve searched for about half an hour and haven’t found a related threat.

I’m not a particularly ‘hardcore’ player, so most Legendaries have been an out-of-each idea for me. But I wanted a long term goal, so a couple weeks ago I spent 70g on the precursor for The Moot, which was one of the least expensive precursors my profession can use. I think I was justified in believing, based on market trends, that the price would only continue to skyrocket. So, I borrowed money and spent every penny I had to secure a precursor before it became unreachable.

Fast forward two weeks, to the Lost Shores event, and that fateful chest full of hundreds of new precursors dumped onto the market overnight. I watched, practically in the blink of an eye, most of the effort I put into this game over the last few months to generate funds to make my precursor happen reduced to an 8-gold item. The price has since stabilized to about 20g, but regardless, the majority of that effort, probably hundreds of hours, was rendered completely wasted.

Sure, you can say “Hey you still have your precursor.” But the point is that I busted my butt to make that happen, and overnight it became nigh trivial.

This is compounded by the fact that there are now brand new players with the expensive precursors, and are essentially months ahead of me in a heartbeat. It’s like buying that new car you’ve worked your butt off to earn, and finding out the teenager next door paid 20% of what you did for the same thing.

Perhaps I’m just not thinking about this the right way, but my heart is kinda broken. Rather than being excited to get home and play, I feel frustration and a tinge of sadness when I think about playing. I’ve logged on for about 5 minutes to say hello to friends, but other than that I no longer feel positively about this game.

I think there is a huge problem with A-net’s decision to create a situation where countless players had their efforts to obtain a precursor rendered irrelevant, while countless other lucky players suddenly had a golden ticket land in their lap at the same time. Tweaking the market so drastically in an instant just blows my mind.

I can’t really get into the idea of returning to play, because why bother? Who knows when the next game-changing event will sweep aside my efforts to achieve the next goal I set for myself?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien
To be fair, they never said anything about not selling out on their principles. -Fungal Foot

Posted by: Goloith.6349

Goloith.6349

I feel your pain. Now imagine being at work providing for your family and then being screwed over.

i7 920 OC 4.2Ghz, 2x 6970s in Eyefinity mode
Davidah (Guardian) Goloith (Engineer)
Achuni (Mesmer) Doreanora (Thief)

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

No. Its really great. Precursors are way overpriced anyway.

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Precursor prices continue rising and players implore Anet to do something about it. When Anet does something about it players complain Anet is cheapening Precursors.

I realise it’s not necessarily the same group of people making those complaints, but I hope you see my point: Anet cannot please everybody.

The fact of the matter is, Precursor prices had to be brought down: if they continue to rise they will only become more and more unreachable by new players, a group that will continue to increase throughout the game’s life. It is much wiser to do something now instead of say a year later, when much more players have been frustrated by the ever-increasing price of Precursors.

While I can understand why you’re upset, it is for the greater good.

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

Precursor prices continue rising and players implore Anet to do something about it. When Anet does something about it players complain Anet is cheapening Precursors.

I realise it’s not necessarily the same group of people making those complaints, but I hope you see my point: Anet cannot please everybody.

The fact of the matter is, Precursor prices had to be brought down: if they continue to rise they will only become more and more unreachable by new players, a group that will continue to increase throughout the game’s life. It is much wiser to do something now instead of say a year later, when much more players have been frustrated by the ever-increasing price of Precursors.

The fact is that Anet screwed up again in spectacular fashion…..you do NOT go handing out expensive rare items like that…you increase the drop rate for the materials to craft one, or decrease the needed materials to craft one……seriously pretty much everything Anet is doing lately is straight out of the MMO guide of “how to kill your game quickly”.

Posted by: Stardrinker.9402

Stardrinker.9402

I think you’ll find that most people agree with you that pre-cursors were too expensive. What people have a problem with was they did it in one of the worst possible ways. During a one-time event in an international game at a certain time where many players were either asleep or at work or couldn’t make it. And to make things worse, the servers couldn’t handle the load so you have people who did make it to the event, and slog through hours for the finale, only to get disconnected and be disqualified from the chest.

So yeah, that’s the main issue people have.

Posted by: drifter.8453

drifter.8453

^This
is so true. sadly I was not one of the lucky ones.

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

I can understand your pain, but the reality is you pay a premium to be ‘first.’ Its like you buy a car, then next week the dealership announces a sale. Yeah it sucks to have paid full price, but neither can you go back and ask for a retroactive discount.

Posted by: Rakhar.4615

Rakhar.4615

It seems kind of backwards to me to claim that this is a bad thing. Some others have pointed out that something needed to be done to bring prices down. For the players that did get precursors, and maybe even got one that they will use, I’m sure they are very happy with it. I am happy for them. Someone else having better fortune than yourself does not make your fortune any worse.

lenpup.3765

Precursor prices had to be brought down: if they continue to rise they will only become more and more unreachable by new players, a group that will continue to increase throughout the game’s life. It is much wiser to do something now instead of say a year later, when much more players have been frustrated by the ever-increasing price of Precursors.

Thanks for saying that, and it does actually make me feel a little better. However, as much as I appreciate that the fix needed to come as soon as possible, I think this was very much the wrong way to implement it.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien
To be fair, they never said anything about not selling out on their principles. -Fungal Foot

lenpup.3765

The fact is that Anet screwed up again in spectacular fashion…..you do NOT go handing out expensive rare items like that…you increase the drop rate for the materials to craft one, or decrease the needed materials to craft one……seriously pretty much everything Anet is doing lately is straight out of the MMO guide of “how to kill your game quickly”.

Precisely. My point is not simply that I’m sad at the devaluation of my item. I’m appalled that they handled it this way.

Absolutely, but you don’t fix it by throwing a wrench in the gears. You fix it by slowly and methodically adjusting drop rates and adding new ways to obtain it.

This was an irresponsible way to handle it.

- Mike Obrien

Posted by: PiranhaPT.4873

PiranhaPT.4873

Well , thats what you get by going dor the most expensive item first . Why didn’t you start on the easy stuff and by the time you would be done , it was cheaper .

Like in any other rare item , the more it drops over time the cheaper it gets . So it’s kibda your fault to have spent that amount in the first place .

Also people complaining about the precursor drops have to keep in mind that hundreds of players were at the event , and on the overflow i was in i didn’t saw more than 5/6 being pinged .

5 or 6 is hardly a "giveaway" as some of you state. And even if it the chance was higher than this , thats not your issue , the real problem is that some couldn’t attend an event that had a scheduled time . I woul like to remind that it’s impossible to have every player on at the same time .

The problem here is envy , nothing else . If you want you can go for Jormag , the chest also drops precirsors and happens every 3 hours or so .

Posted by: Mars.6319

Mars.6319

I think this hurt people who were trying to corner the market more than players who just wanted to get their legendary done.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I bought Audi A3 when it was worth twice than it is now.
2 months and half ago, Exotic weps were worth a dozen of gold, look at them now.
That’s just how the market works.

Anet cannot evolve the game basing on what would happen on the market, they must look at what’s best for the game in the long run.
And having precursors costing 100+ gold on top of the mega grind required to get the other mats was clearly not the best for the game.

Posted by: unknowable.8470

unknowable.8470

You invested and got burned… and yeah as the player above me said, this isn’t hurting people who actually want the items and that is the important part.

I couldn’t care less about people who want to make easy money in the game, that said I earn gold fairly well for someone who plays ~2-4 hours a day when I can (not in one stretch but spaced out) I get roughly 6-9gold a day and 4-6 of that gold is from doing events in orr for an hour.

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

Well , thats what you get by going dor the most expensive item first . Why didn’t you start on the easy stuff and by the time you would be done , it was cheaper .

Like in any other rare item , the more it drops over time the cheaper it gets . So it’s kibda your fault to have spent that amount in the first place .

Also people complaining about the precursor drops have to keep in mind that hundreds of players were at the event , and on the overflow i was in i didn’t saw more than 5/6 being pinged .

5 or 6 is hardly a “giveaway” as some of you state. And even if it the chance was higher than this , thats not your issue , the real problem is that some couldn’t attend an event that had a scheduled time . I woul like to remind that it’s impossible to have every player on at the same time .

The problem here is envy , nothing else . If you want you can go for Jormag , the chest also drops precirsors and happens every 3 hours or so .

What a ridiculous load of nonsense…so you are saying its the players fault for playing the game how they wanted, which was how the game was marketed, and then have the rug pulled out from under them, and its still the players fault ?

Even worse you stupidly accuse everyone whos rightfully angry of envy, when most of the worst affected players are the ones who actually earned them…personally i dont care, i have no interest in skins…but what i do care about is ridiculous outside market manipulation by developers at the drop of a hat and with little to no warning for players.

lenpup.3765

I think this hurt people who were trying to corner the market more than players who just wanted to get their legendary done.

Absolutely and I do appreciate that in the long run that may even turn out to be a benefit for me. I might wind up making Sunrise after all, and never look back at the money I lost on The Moot precursor.

I think the bottom line is that they shouldn’t have just dumped a bunch of precursors on the market, they should have methodically adjusted drop rates and other related factors until the market stabilized where they want it.

…but what i do care about is ridiculous outside market manipulation by developers at the drop of a hat and with little to no warning for players.

I think this is pretty much my gripe, summed up.

5 or 6 is hardly a “giveaway” as some of you state. And even if it the chance was higher than this , thats not your issue , the real problem is that some couldn’t attend an event that had a scheduled time . I woul like to remind that it’s impossible to have every player on at the same time .

Are you denying that we all watched precursors go from 5g to 300g steadily over a course of several months? Because you’d be lying. That IS what happened, and so I think it was a perfectly reasonable decision to buy a precursor before the cost went out of my reach as I unfortunately watched happen with Dawn and The Hunter before I settled on the much more affordable The Energizer.
Don’t blame me for doing what seemed like the right thing to do based on every bit of information I had available.

- Mike Obrien

lenpup.3765

You invested and got burned… and yeah as the player above me said, this isn’t hurting people who actually want the items and that is the important part.

I couldn’t care less about people who want to make easy money in the game, that said I earn gold fairly well for someone who plays ~2-4 hours a day when I can (not in one stretch but spaced out) I get roughly 6-9gold a day and 4-6 of that gold is from doing events in orr for an hour.

You pretty clearly didn’t read my post. I wanted to make The Moot. I busted my kitten to afford the precursor, and I got f*^&ed.

Also, 4-6g from an hour of events in Orr? You, sir, are completely full of kitten. In 200% MF I make ~2g an hour unless I get a particularly lucky drop. I know for FACT you are full of kitten.

- Mike Obrien

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

Wrong, or better yet: half true. Because people who are in a position to corner the market have a lot of money to spend, which got worth a lot more with everything being cheaper.

The fact that they threw more precursors in did not change a thing about the market manipulation.
The only thing that happened was this:
People who farmed/grinded for month and bought a precursor got screwed.
People who have not yet bought it are happy that precursors became cheaper.

A very poorly planned move by Anet imho.

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

They just need to make gold easier to get without damaging the economy too much, best way to do this would be to make Pre-Cursors account bound and non-sellable and then increase the gold from DEs by a factor of say 5 so for an ORR event instead of getting 2s per event, the player got 25s etc.

This would make players go back out into the world to hunt for DEs. The problem is then, if people playing the markets got greedy and started to inflate the costs of mats etc etc

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

lenpup.3765

They just need to make gold easier to get without damaging the economy too much, best way to do this would be to make Pre-Cursors account bound and non-sellable and then increase the gold from DEs by a factor of say 5 so for an ORR event instead of getting 2s per event, the player got 25s etc.

This would make players go back out into the world to hunt for DEs. The problem is then, if people playing the markets got greedy and started to inflate the costs of mats etc etc

Seriously. If this is supposed to be a building-my-personal-legacy kinda thing, why the KITTEN do I have to buy a precursor from someone else? Make the kittening precursor bind on aquire and slightly more common! Can I get a witness??

- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Aufero.2893

Aufero.2893

Crushed? No.

I’m a bit annoyed about the other loot from an event I couldn’t attend, (Seriously, the 20-slot box and the accessory are both better than anything I have on any of my three level 80 characters) but I’m only about half done farming the other stuff for the legendary I’m working towards anyway. Hopefully by the time I’m done they’ll have implemented the scavenger quests for precursors.

lenpup.3765

Crushed? No.

I’m a bit annoyed about the other loot from an event I couldn’t attend, (Seriously, the 20-slot box and the accessory are both better than anything I have on any of my three level 80 characters) but I’m only about half done farming the other stuff for the legendary I’m working towards anyway. Hopefully by the time I’m done they’ll have implemented the scavenger quests for precursors.

Yeah, I’ve moved past feeling crushed about this. I supposed that’s why I made the post in the first place, to get some perspective. I’m still quite sad that I’m broke when I could have 50g in the bank, but life goes on.

- Mike Obrien

Posted by: hoyasaxa.1974

hoyasaxa.1974

Not crushed. I’m more concerned at the lack of foresight indicated by putting the precursors in the drop table of a one time event. Obviously, the prices needed lowering. Clearly, the way to do that is to introduce more to the market. Doing it all at once during a bug-ridden one time event was foolish. There are any number of ways this could have been done without creating so much fuss.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I sympathise for the people who dropped lots of gold on Precursors before the Lost Shores, but this is always the risk of being an early adopter, especially if you’re buying as an investment rather than for personal use. You could profit from it, but you’re just as likely to get burned depending on whether ANet makes the item in question easier to achieve.

Since you bought your Precursor for the Moot, consider it a mark of personal pride that you “earned” your Legendary the hard way. I did the same thing for my Paragon back in GW1 where I earned his Legendary Survivor back in the days when dying once meant the title was forever unattainable on that character.

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

I don’t really care about the precursor dump. It’s the principle of the matter. Not the actual loot.

I find it a ‘middle finger for you’ from ANet that if I couldn’t play at a very specific point in time, I’m not a valued player and must be exempt from the opportunity for such rewards.
That’s why huge rewards with one time events are a very poor thing.

A key point of a MMO with it’s persistent world is that you can play when you are able and still have same chances as somebody else (if you can find other players to play with).
Imagine locking down a dungeon so only those who are only at time X can play and loot? Doubtful many would accept that outside the timezone.
But locking down an event is okay? When it provides better rewards?

Keep one time event and limited events if you will, but keep handing out silly hats as you did with the Halloween event.
Not rewards worth several hundreds of in-game gold which just adds insult to injury to all the people who couldn’t play at a dictated point in time.

Posted by: Zapan.7460

Zapan.7460

its the first of… many?
what would you do with a precursor that was not usable by your character? sell it, give to guild mate, or salvage it?

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

I don’t really care about the precursor dump. It’s the principle of the matter. Not the actual loot.

I find it a ‘middle finger for you’ from ANet that if I couldn’t play at a very specific point in time, I’m not a valued player and must be exempt from the opportunity for such rewards.

A key point of a MMO with it’s persistent world is that you can play when you are able and still have same chances as somebody else (if you can find other players to play with).
Imagine locking down a dungeon so only those who are only at time X can play and loot? Doubtful many would accept that outside the timezone.

Keep one time event and limited events if you will, but keep handing out silly hats as you did with the Halloween event.
Not rewards worth several hundreds of in-game gold which just adds insult to injury to all the people who couldn’t play at a dictated point in time.

To me this is a cynical way of looking at things. Its like saying all Black Friday participating stores are jerks because you had to work that day…

Id rather the rewards be worth something and people just get over their own entitlement, as that will never happen..we’ll soon get crappy cosmetics that nobody cares about for rewards.

When I played Shadowbane..they had random world events..at the events one time items were dropped..they were slightly stronger than something you could buy, they were bragging rights only really but nobody complained that everyone didnt get one…its just disheartening to hear these entitled cries every day.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I can see that point. When I think of this event, I keep imagining they could have instead done it as small-group instanced content, which this game actually does pretty well. And like the story dungeons, they could have made it give one-time rewards, so people couldn’t farm it, but players all over the world with different time schedules could have participated.

But locking down dungeons and bosses to keep them from some players?
This has long tradition in MMOs, particularly pvp games (which I recognize gw isn’t). In Everquest 1, one or a few guilds typically held all the keys to the latest dungeons, and would block any one else. East coast guilds had an advantage because they could get their raids started earlier…

GW2 is on the opposite spectrum from hardcore or pvp-oriented game. There should be a princple of access for all.

Posted by: unknowable.8470

unknowable.8470

You pretty clearly didn’t read my post. I wanted to make The Moot. I busted my kitten to afford the precursor, and I got f*^&ed.

Also, 4-6g from an hour of events in Orr? You, sir, are completely full of kitten. In 200% MF I make ~2g an hour unless I get a particularly lucky drop. I know for FACT you are full of kitten.

Okeydoke I missread that… But eh… It was your choice to spend it.

And yes 4-6 g
Full party of 5 all properly tagging, no DR applied and efficient farming between arah defense, pent, shelter, oakheart, occasionally plinx/tars when I have time to port, grenth whenever I can and that other camp I can never remember the name of…. if you do it right you spend most of your time in events and grab the occasional world boss chest if you can.

70% on runes, 18% built in to armour, 3% on weapon (playing a guardian atm), 15% from superior luck rune fully charged, 39% on trinkets, 30% on food (the 40% extra gold is fantastic), 10% guild banner and finally guild bonus.
So that is 195% (saving magicfind bonus for an alt so I can just sit it in the gates of arah and spark farm whenever they are up and then log off and retain the bonuses as long as I can… hate farming charged lodestones)

Now with a good party and set to farming traits I tag roughly 80-90% of all the monsters that come from pent or one side of shelter (usually go risen but find sometimes it is nice to alternate for my farming of powerful bloods)

Then I sell everything and sell it for either the lowest amount or the average over a week that it shows on guild wars 2 spidy, all rares I sell for 28silver or 26silver so some. Moldy bags go for 2 silver 40 each, I sell most greens and all blues/plains to venders mostly although some greens can go to tp these days, I don’t salvage anything anymore find that it is just better worth to sell them on the tp, same with rares as it guarantees atleast 1 per rare at that price.

So yeah, maybe I am just efficient and have fantastic luck but it works great…

Ofcourse you can only do this for an hour or two a day unless you have an excessive amount of free time, farming speed runs of dungeons is also great as you can get 70silver to 1gold per run quite frequently aslong as you don’t die and get some decent drops.

Posted by: PiranhaPT.4873

PiranhaPT.4873

There has been A LOT of cries for help in the forums about the droprate of the precursors , and they started a long time ago .

If you couldn’t foresee that it was a matter of time before Anet decided to ease it up it’s more kinda your fault .

I’ve been working on my legendary also , but i’m leaving the precursor for last , simply because it’s obvious that while i gather everything else , they WILL drop either in Jormag / Forge / Special events . Even if it’s only a few of them dropping , it’s a few gold that i save .

Going for the most expensive one was your choice , you actually believed that while u gathered every other gift they would say at the same price ?

Like i said , whoever is raging over the precursor drop in the event are either envious that someone else got it or a kitten that went to spend 100+ gold instead of just waiting and making it the final item to get .

Any other person would e happy ( as i am ) cuz it’s half the price now .

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

….

The OP is talking about a drop in price on legendary precursors. Unless something has changed recently or the GW2 Wiki is incomplete, the precursors are NOT craftable items. They drop rarely from Lvl 80 event chests or are created rarely by throwing exotics into the Mystic Forge. That’s it.

Ergo the only way to lower the prices on such an item is to make them more common.

They should have been more common right from the start anyways. They were obviously horrendously overpriced at the time, and the prices have been slowly creeping back up since the weekend event ended, too. They need to make the rewards for Temple runs (or for Claw of Jormag) equal to the rewards level of the Ancient Karka chest. That’ll help keep precursor prices down to more reasonable levels.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Aradian.9086

Aradian.9086

I think there is an important aspect of human psychology to address here. When you have one time event drop rewards that are as valuable as the precursors, you set a precedent for all events which in turn leads players to think each event is potentially that rewarding. So where as before you may choose to participate or not based on your RL schedule, now it creates tension between potential gains and people’s lives.

In other words I’m going to feel anxiety whenever I miss an event because it could bag me an item worth way way too much.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

I’m okay with the one-time special event that gives rewards like the precursors.
They should make more events like this. The pre-cursors are overpriced anyway.

If players realised, even if you own the precursor, you need at least 634 golds with the rest of the materials. (I calculated all the ingredients from the current market price). Pre-cursors shouldn’t cost as much as 200-300 golds. It should be like back when it was released. Each costs around 60-100 golds. Efforts should come from gathering and scavenging hunt.

I wonder if players give up and start selling back their precursors after I mentioned “634 golds on the rest of the mats”. If you chose not to craft it, it’s better to sell it now before everyone else selling and depletes the price.

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Im glad the precursors are getting cheaper, Im sure arenanet did this on purpose. They should be within peoples reach, not overpriced items.

And yes I have a precursor I don’t mind if others have it too.

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

Sure, you can say “Hey you still have your precursor.” But the point is that I busted my butt to make that happen, and overnight it became nigh trivial.

That’s where you took a big chance, and you got burned.

Yah, it really sucks. I’ve been there. I experienced a similar sort of thing many years ago. Ever since then, I’ve had a standing policy not to grind.

I will work towards a goal only as long as I have fun doing so. When it stops being fun, I stop doing it. If that means it’ll take me months to reach it, or a possibility that I’ll never reach it at all, so be it. I’d rather it be that than being heartsick over a tremendous effort wasted, because a bar was lowered.

And bars always get lowered. I’ve noticed that, over time, MMOs tend to get more accommodating in a variety of ways.

So, yah, it can be a nasty blow to enthusiasm, and one that lingers. But, trust me, that’ll pass. The sting will fade. My advice for the future would be: always make your enjoyment the first priority for a game experience. Only do what’s rewarding to do. That way, if things are changed, you’ll have no regrets. Your time will not have been wasted, because, at the very least, you had fun.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

It’s not that it was done, it’s how it was done!

Metaphor time?

5 people each get a letter saying “YOU HAVE WON A PRIZE!”
Person 1 looks and has won a Ferrari F430, 2nd guy gets a Porsche 911, the 3rd a Lamborghini Gallardo, while the 4th & 5th get Lada’s.

Now that’s great for the top winners, BUT (the fun part) some can’t even drive or has a driving licence (trial account anyone?). Hell, some even got 2 cars!

Am I jealous? Sure, I am. But I’m also feeling cheated and bitter!
If they wanted to be fair they could have had given all a precursor or even all the same loot (ie. the bag & jewelry without the rest), but no, they wanted to alienate some of us.

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: omgwtfbbq.5374

omgwtfbbq.5374

Why is it a bad thing that precursors dropped during the event? Prices were so incredibly high, that no reasonable amount of playing time would ever get you enough gold to buy one, since their prices were inflating so fast. Granted, more of them should’ve dropped, but it was a start.

It’s funny because I saw this same thing on the D3 forums when they increased the droprate of legendaries; some people were up in arms saying how it wasn’t fair because they earned or bought their’s, and now everyone is going to have them.

The prices for precursors will continue to go back up, due to supply and demand, at least until they either have another event, or introduce the scavenger hunt system. All I can say is to just have fun playing because what other people get in a game does not effect you in the slightest, or least it shouldn’t.

Posted by: Eldeling.3465

Eldeling.3465

Crushed no, very disappointed yes… I was there during event window, a bit late but still there, and couldn’t even get into any overflow with working event. So… I didn’t even get a chance to do the event or have a shot at the most valuable item in the game. At the same time some people did it 2, 3, 5 times. Worst of all is some trial members walked away with these items. It ruined the event. It should’ve been like halloween event, instead it was a rush for loot.

I’m playing less now, which is probably a good thing. I was playing too much to begin with:)

Posted by: LaughingLoser.9806

LaughingLoser.9806

I’ve saved getting my precursor until very last of all legendary items to acquire because it has been known for awhile now that the price would go down due to changes in the works for precursors. Even today with prices way down from what they were, it will still be the last thing I get for my legendary because I know there are more changes coming. Whether that makes me foolish to wait further; we’ll find out, but I’ll live with it either way because I know it was my choice to do things in this order and methodical pace.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Not in the least. I am not playing the game anymore so I dont care.
However making loot that is worth 300 gold drop based on an RNG is not good. It is not a good mechanic and creates a massive disparity mainly because they have nerfed every other form of attaining wealth.

I would have been upset had I been trying to get a precursor over the last few months spending enormous sums of wealth and material to forge into the pre and failing.

For a level 5 at an event to be given something like this seems just a little out of whack and counter intuitive since they have done everything to stifle any means of attaining wealth.

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

To me this is a cynical way of looking at things. Its like saying all Black Friday participating stores are jerks because you had to work that day…

Id rather the rewards be worth something and people just get over their own entitlement, as that will never happen..we’ll soon get crappy cosmetics that nobody cares about for rewards.

When I played Shadowbane..they had random world events..at the events one time items were dropped..they were slightly stronger than something you could buy, they were bragging rights only really but nobody complained that everyone didnt get one…its just disheartening to hear these entitled cries every day.

No it’s not like Black Friday stores at all.
It’s like people paying to play a game with a persistent world where they’re told they can do content in their own time and then being presented with content they not only cannot do because it’s being dictated and also which contains rewards vastly outscaling anything they have access to.

And no – it has nothing to do with ‘entitlement’ even though it’s the attempted insult d’jour.

Posted by: Hisuichan.7983

Hisuichan.7983

I just don’t get it because players seem to assume, as far as I know baselessly, that this is some isolated event and judging it in and of itself. What exactly is wrong with ANet setting a precedent that, maybe, each big event will have a chance of getting a precursor if you play it through? That would be a fantastic way, long-term, of combating the inflated prices and Mystic Force shenanigans you have to go through.

But everyone seems furious about it because they didn’t get one this time, assuming there won’t be a next time. My reaction to not getting one was mild disappointment, but I liked the exotics I did get, and I looked forward to maybe getting one next time during Wintersday if they continue this trend.

I know you’re not in this camp, but alot of people seem to be mad less because ANet introduced a new way of getting precursors (taking part in events) and more because they didn’t get one. I think it’s a great way to proceed – if you don’t make it to this event, there’s always another one a month or so down the line, and it’s a good way to introduce more to the market and combat the prices long-term.

(Mind you, I do agree they should do something for those in awkward time zones – staggered instances but with a one-time per account lock would be a great way to simulate the one-time only feeling)

My long-term goal is Kudzu, personally, and I didn’t get any precursors at all from the Lost Shores – but it didn’t dampen my enthusiasm towards trying next time. I think that’s a good idea, because it shouldn’t just be about grinding gold. Taking part in something big is a nice alternate path everyone will be able to use in the future, including your other characters.

(edited by Hisuichan.7983)

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

I thought Precursors were a big deal by paying mind to people like the OP until I saw what was need to actually turn the Precursor into a Legendary.

kitten out of here. Sold that kitten ASAP. Precursors are like 10% of the uphill battle. Good luck.

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: Tsaerid.5084

Tsaerid.5084

I’m working my way towards a legendary and recently bought my precursor, in my case it was spark which had for a while been up there with dusk and co. at 400g. When the news of the droprate boost in the mystic forge hit a couple more got dumped onto the TP and after some noticeable undercutting it had dropped to 250g, at the time i had worked my way up to 170g from a lot of gathering runs and plinx farming. I borrowed the remaining gold i needed from a very kind friend and grabbed it and now a week later it’s sitting at 138g on the tp.

Having all that extra gold would obviously be a massive help in my efforts to finish my legendary but I’m not too worried about it, i have the most difficult part of my legendary and it’s not like i had any way of knowing the price would crash so I’ll just carry on, getting angry over it now isn’t gonna change a thing.

Posted by: florence.1674

florence.1674

I have no sympathy for anyone who complains about their value loss in the precursor price crash.

What is a precursor? It’s just a berserker exotic with a superior sigil of rage and a common skin. People attach greater value to it only because it’s a component of the legendary. It almost feels like precursors are derivatives. You are buying it for it’s potential future worth.

Yet somehow, Shaman’s Etched weapons are nearly worthless, despite them being precursors for corrupted weapons.

Ps: I got my precursor through the hard and expensive way of throwing bows at the MF. And I still would like to see precursor prices fall to normal exotic ranges.

WvW law #1: nobody in WvW can count.

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

You only wasted your time if you didn’t have fun working for it.

Ther is no reason, none at all to rush on a legendary weapon.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

For example The Legend, was 150-200g for about 4 days, which was good I guess, felt like it wasn’t that far away, but hey if people buy 4 more of those from TP it’ll be back up to 300g. Way to see my progress, wooooo! Guaranteed, if no other changes/events come, by the time I reach 300g, it’ll be 350-450 as it used to.
Never ending farm.

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

You think the prices would go down… we don’t know in what other ways they will give them out… so I say be patient voice your opinion but stop acting like it is the end of the game.

(edited by catqeer.1954)

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

This very much.

Precursors overpriced anyways. Seriously. They should have been the easier part of a legendary but instead they’re the hardest. For the price of a precursor, you can buy Volcanus.