Anyone else get nervous at JP's?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

When there are a lot of people camped at the end point? I’m not real great at them in the first place but seeing a blob of people there watching… judging… I just get nervous and start to mess up a lot. :P

Does this happen to anyone else?

I had a better topic title but 45 character limit… x.x

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

We’re not judging. We’re all actually waiting with baited breath hoping you’ll make it. JPs bring out a comraderie in people.

Vyrulisse.1246

We’re not judging. We’re all actually waiting with baited breath hoping you’ll make it. JPs bring out a comraderie in people.

I’ll try to look at it that way. Even if you’re fibbing.

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

I totally get nervous around them. I just lose all sense and patience, and turn into this 4th gear wannabe parkour pro – who inevitably fails over and over.

Then I see others who are like dancing through the JP at the speed of light like it’s no big deal.

To each their own

Vyrulisse.1246

I totally get nervous around them. I just lose all sense and patience, and turn into this 4th gear wannabe parkour pro – who inevitably fails over and over.

Then I see others who are like dancing through the JP at the speed of light like it’s no big deal.

To each their own

Haha, I know that feel too. I’m baby stepping through one and then some sparkly gymnast just floats through every jump like a professional. It’s kinda funny to me in a way.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’ll try to look at it that way. Even if you’re fibbing.

Not fibbing at all. If you ever want assistance with any jp, let me know.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

To each their own

Haha, I know that feel too. I’m baby stepping through one and then some sparkly gymnast just floats through every jump like a professional. It’s kinda funny to me in a way.

When I started I saw people like that and wondered how it was possible. Now… well, I’m no gymnast but I used to do Troll’s Revenge for fun every day so…

Vyrulisse.1246

In a sense I’m thankful for the speed demons who know it by heart because I just stop and watch them. They show me the way.

Posted by: Saphykun.3206

Saphykun.3206

I laugh when people fail the last jump. And then I portal them, assuming I’m on my mesmer <3
<—- not nice

Maybe you already do this, but I hold down the right mouse button to lead my character wherever they need to go. Especially helpful when you have to jump quickly (*cough*HalloweenJP*cough*), and if you’re good enough you become one of those speed demons you described

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I do notice a tendency to flub up more if others are around. Two reasons, I think, both silly: One is that I push myself to go too fast instead of setting up for each jump, like it’s embarrassing to need to do that (it isn’t). The other is that I instinctively steer to not jump onto someone else, as if they are a solid obstacle (we’ll just leave out them blocking my view of the landing spot, it’s mostly that I habitually avoid commingling avatars other than for zerg fighting or fast run throughs to the bank and the like). So I politely aim to the side … and fall.

Posted by: OathboundOne.6541

OathboundOne.6541

Pfft. I get nervous doing JPs when there AREN’T people watching.

I’m pretty bad at them, and gliding has just made some of them even worse.

I remember I spent like an hour on Coddler’s Cove before someone went sailing right past me to the finish, logged off and switched to their mesmer, passed me AGAIN and then gave me a portal to the end.

On the one hand “Yay I’m done!” on the other hand, just ouch, man.

Posted by: kiimi.2853

kiimi.2853

Not because of the people but i always tell myself…do not look down …i am no good with heights

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I do get very nervous if other players are doing the puzzle. I usually want to get away from them as fast as possible, and fast isn’t always so good with JPs. Fast only works on something like Tribulation Rift which I can do in my sleep - and even then, I have to make visible stops and camera realignments to complete it.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The other people are not there to judge you.

If they’re anything like me they can’t even see you because the inventory and TP windows are in the way. When I finish a jumping puzzle I usually check my inventory to see what I got from the chest (and the daily chest if it’s a daily) and then find it’s full of stuff I picked up on the way to and through the puzzle, and since I’m not quite sure what I’m doing next I stay there while I sort through it and think about where to go. (The other option is to go to LA and then inevitably realise I want to go all the way back to near where I was.)

As for other people doing the puzzle with you I’d strongly suggest letting them know what you’d like them to do or not do. I’m one of the people who has done them so often I know most of them by heart so I can go straight through (with occasional mistakes). When other people are around I’m never sure if I should carry on as normal and maybe give them hints or let them go first so they can figure it out instead of having the solution given away. But if they tell me I’m happy to do whichever.

Although probably my worse offense is doing puzzles on a ranger in bright armour with a pet, mini pet, The Dreamer and sometimes holographic wings. I’m used to it so I sometimes forget that to other people I’m a giant glob of distractions blocking their view when they really need to see clearly. But if I’m reminded I’m happy to turn it all off.

Whereas my pet peeve is speed boosts. I really don’t like jumping with a speed boost because I don’t normally use them so it causes me to misjudge every jump. I don’t usually complain, I’ll just wait for it to wear off and then carry on. But at least once that’s backfired, I found I kept on getting a boost just as I started a tricky jump. So then I’d wait for it to wear off, move on to the next jump and it would happen again. Eventually I asked where they were coming from and found out someone above me “saw me struggling” (waiting for the boost to wear off) and decided to help me out…with a constant supply of totally unpredictable changes to my speed and jumping distance. I appreciated the sentiment but it was much, much easier when he stopped.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Phage.9203

Phage.9203

Yeah it can be distracting at times.

I usually look very silly while doing certain jumping puzzles so I tend to just laugh it off, like I imagine some people must do when seeing my attempts, or vent my frustrations on the nearby creatures before trying again

As an example: it took me 7 days to complete “not so secret”. (an hour max each day)

just take your time