Anyone notice a decrease in population?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: seithan.4823

seithan.4823

Especially before and after the Southsun Cove – Karka event.

There are so few people left – compared to what was like 2 months ago.

I see very few dungeon spams in Lion’s any more, less and less people moving in the place, and im not talking about Overflow periods of time.

Even fractal requests have dropped by alot.

Is it Gandara(EU) or is it a general issue?

Rig#1: i2500k@4Ghz/ 8GB Ram @ 1600/ Asus GTX580 CU
Rig#2: Core2duo@3Ghz/ 4GB DDR2/ 9800gtx+

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I m almost never in overflow in lion’s arch on whiteside ridge….now
also no players in www too.

Dunno if everyone is somewhere else….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

My server(stormbluff) always seems full. Can’t tell you the last time I wasn’t in an overflow in LA or any busy place really. Granted we’re one of the top wvw servers usually so I’m sure we get a lot of transfers and such.

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

Ya it’s emptying, I came from a dead server, moved to Stormbluff. The way to figure out which servers have the most activity is to see who is winning at WvW.

Posted by: Ruby Red.4019

Ruby Red.4019

Desolation (EU) – which often says Very High or Full on the World Selection screen theres usually an overflow for LA and lots of LFG Fractals spam hardly any other dungeon spam getting story runs is nigh impossible. Outside of LA I don’t see many ppl I’m levelling an alt without doing any of the big events just because I’m usually alone at them

Posted by: ashleydoll.8563

ashleydoll.8563

Not really, it’s just that the playerbase is no longer sitting around the racial cities anymore. And most people got their main to 80 and stick with that, which is why you don’t see as many people while leveling (and it will be worse for underplayed races like Asura and/or simply for zones which seem boring to people, I notice the snowy Norn areas are the deadest of dead).

Lion’s Arch for me is always forcing me into an overflow, which indicates everyone goes there as opposed to any of the racial cities. And the LA overflows themselves are also packed and the chat moves incredibly fast. The game is not dying or underpopulated, the community simply spends more time in certain areas. And you can’t really gauge how many of the people are on sPvP all the time, I think that is a factor as well. A lot of people may not care about 90% of this game’s content and instead look at sPvP as the only thing they’re interested in. I already know there’s a rift between sPvP and WvW, seems most people only prefer one or the other.

But look at any past MMO, it’s always the same. Once a game is a few months old and people start hitting max level and spending more time in PvP and dungeons, the other game areas become rather desolate. It gives the illusion that the game is dying, which is unfortunate when new players pick up the game post-release and can’t find other people to do group events with.

However, I do fear that if Anet does not step up soon, a lot of PvP players will start quitting. There is only a handful of small sPvP maps, not much game mode variation and matches end quickly. There are FPS games these days with maps bigger and more exciting than what we have in sPvP, that is fairly sad. And WvW isn’t any better, you have the same map repeated three times and then the Eternal Battlegrounds. Even if you play entirely for the competition, you will still get tired of how bland the environments become after a short while. They definitely need a CTF game mode for sPvP , perhaps an offense/defense object push like in TF2 and maybe also plain old death match.

Posted by: Rynarx.6124

Rynarx.6124

It’s a form of server merged but initiated by players instead of the company. Players are moving on their own from servers that are getting abandoned to the more populated servers.

(edited by Rynarx.6124)

Posted by: Schleprock.7402

Schleprock.7402

of course the population is declining, they made their cash…time to clear the servers for the next pos game they choose to put out. Check the math, up front charge, free to play…uh oh, no money there…no worries by the time people hit 80 they will see it sucks and quit, we will combine servers untill there is only 1 for the stubborn people that refuse to leave…and look! we have all these empty servers to start another online hustle.

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I’m playing on Ring of Fire (EU) and there is nearly always an overflow in LA, plenty of people running dungeons etc. I personally run 1-10 dungeons a day with mostly pugs and usually 1 or 2 friends tagging along. Now the levelling zones are definetely not as crowded as the first month but I still see people going there, including myself (for alts, world complete etc).

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

LA is always in overflow because it is the meeting area for fractals. Other areas are a lot quieter because of lower rewards for killing stuff so it’s not worth the time.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Desolation (EU) – which often says Very High or Full on the World Selection screen theres usually an overflow for LA and lots of LFG Fractals spam hardly any other dungeon spam getting story runs is nigh impossible. Outside of LA I don’t see many ppl I’m levelling an alt without doing any of the big events just because I’m usually alone at them

Desolation has a pretty high population in comparison. I just believe that people are mostly doing dungeons, mostly fractals. If they make the drops in Karka areas half of what you drop in fractals then I think the area will fill up just fine. Right now the drops are low and the mobs are hard. Orr has better drop rates and the population is slightly higher there.

Dunno what it is, everything bores me. Guess it is normal after the rush of the first months. But some things, e.g., guilds have no goals or meaning, are making it all more boring faster. And ofc, being alone in a MMO is not helping either.

Perhaps they can make drop rate variate. The less people in an area the more epic the drops. People will search the map for the best spots and spread out.

(edited by beren.6048)

Posted by: Gnatoay.7581

Gnatoay.7581

logically; if drop rates are messed-up, people are all fractaling as an alternative, money doesn’t flow, then may i ask whats the point & wheres the motivation? even if u did get the money for a precursor, its seemingly impossible to get the materials T6 in this case for a legendary.

Day in, Day out; Grinding

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

LA has overflows everytime I log on to Gunnar’s Hold. Our proper LA has constant LFG spam for fractals and other dungeons.

Levelling alts – it’s not as crowded as it was just after launch, but the massive zergs everywhere were obviously not going to continue forever. There are still people around though.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I see a pretty steady increase in population. No, I am not trolling you.

I think since the Tier 1 servers are full, players are starting to migrate into Tier 2. I see new faces everyday on Sanctum of Rall. Yesterday all 4 borderlands were full and queued, and its stemming into the PvE world as well. There’s people in every zone to DEs with.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

Went through 8 zones at peak time yesterday to do the daylie. I saw 4 other people there. LA is crowded because additionally to all crafters, low lvl chars and traders there are now all ORR-players. There are definitely less people online in GW2. Full servers dont realize that because poeple travel from dying servers to them.

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

I think people are naturally migrating from the dead servers to the more active ones, so yeah, exactly the same as server merges really.

My personal experience is that the 3 month drop off for GW2 is actually worse than it was for SWTOR. Of the 100 or so guildies I started the game with maybe 1 or 2 are left playing, everyone else moved on around a month or so ago. So from personal experience I have seen over 95% of players leave.

It is deceptive because it is no sub so even though a lot of people aren’t playing right now patches or events may bring people back in droves. Unfortunately the people I played with have no intention of returning.

Just relaying what I personally have witnessed.

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Also, I know a bunch of people who are currently distracted with AC3, Planetside 2 and Far Cry 3. They haven’t quit GW2, but they are currently playing less since they don’t have time to play all the games every day. Everyone’s looking forward to Winter’s Day though.

Gnatoay.7581

i strongly believe that people are migratory ! and a full server does not constitute to population increment

Posted by: Amen.2630

Amen.2630

i strongly noticed WvW decreasing, the first time i ever was in there was like WOOOOOW such a huge zerg of us :o omg how cool

now where the heck is everyone

yesterday we had such a hard time to kill a group event boss in lvl 40 area we had to do it 3 times! (couse of the time in which we have to kill the boss) we hardly managed to get 7 ppl together

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

Especially before and after the Southsun Cove – Karka event.

There are so few people left – compared to what was like 2 months ago.

I see very few dungeon spams in Lion’s any more, less and less people moving in the place, and im not talking about Overflow periods of time.

Even fractal requests have dropped by alot.

Is it Gandara(EU) or is it a general issue?

Gandara became quiet indeed but it is more something from the past week really. every time i go somewhere people are talking and playing even in orr, although the past week was very quiet indeed. i might just stop with my guild building and just move to a other server im not sure. would be nice to find a RP server where people are actually nice to eachother. I found that a many people on Gandara became rude and selfish.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

I’ve been going for map completion and am surprised how many people I see out in the middle of nowhere. Even on my medium pop server.

Posted by: Sprinkles.6748

Sprinkles.6748

Well obviously people are not going to be on as much since a couple months ago when the game was released. I really do not see this problem though. I am comfortable with the population being a little more spread out than it used to be.

People aren’t in WvW as much because it is pretty boring and unrewarding currently. Just a point-trading zerg fest filled with lag and culling issues and plenty of exploits. Just my 2c though.

http://www.pwnzerfaust.com/ – Dragonbrand

Posted by: Assassinin.4963

Assassinin.4963

i strongly noticed WvW decreasing, the first time i ever was in there was like WOOOOOW such a huge zerg of us :o omg how cool

Sony Online just launched their latest f2p MMO which supports thousands of players engaged in WvWvW like battlefield. Their WvWvW is the main dish of their game while GW2 WvWvW is just a side dish here. Some of our former WvWvW players are there in the new game currently.

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Sony Online just launched their latest f2p MMO which supports thousands of players engaged in WvWvW like battlefield. Their WvWvW is the main dish of their game while GW2 WvWvW is just a side dish here. Some of our former WvWvW players are there in the new game currently.

Just saw the trailer to it, and my first reaction is woow. It is no GW2 but man, gives a new meaning to siege warfare. Now if only ANet would hurry up and fix our drops.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Lots of people will say their server is busy, heaving with people, no trouble getting a party or doing events and DE’s.

I don’t see any of that, pretty much dead.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Depends on the server I guess. Never had any complaints about Desolation (EU), and that is the main reason I will never ever transfer from there, even if it may cost me my 100% map completion.

*Edit: it also depends on your expectations. A few days ago, I was leveling an alt with my boyfriend, and he complained that there were so few people in the (level 20-30) zone. “Only 4 per DE, and only one in this jumping puzzle”. I was a bit flabbergasted tbh, I think 4 others in a DE is just perfect to keep it a challenge while still socializing.

(edited by Tosha Daydreamer.9251)

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

It is probably a mixture of a gear treadmill being added and poorly thought out class ‘balances’ with no testing done so they end up introducing even more bugs to the list that already started out pretty big back at launch.

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Server still full, overflows and queue for wvw

There’s probably more people playing GW2 right now than any other MMO, WoW included. Ever check the activity stats for WoW? It’s really really low, with a ton of dead servers.

Could just be because other games are out so people are playing those. Like AC3 and Far Cry 3, which I’m getting now.

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

Lion’s Arch for me is always forcing me into an overflow, which indicates everyone goes there as opposed to any of the racial cities

Not really, the racial cities started emptying out long before fractals were introduced, as did most of the starter zones (Queensdale was still populated whilst others were barren). All the overflow in Lion’s Arch indicates is there are enough people there to trigger an overflow, you don’t need a packed full server or anywhere near to do that.

However, I do fear that if Anet does not step up soon, a lot of PvP players will start quitting.

Too late.

And you can’t really gauge how many of the people are on sPvP all the time, I think that is a factor as well. A lot of people may not care about 90% of this game’s content and instead look at sPvP as the only thing they’re interested in

The sPvP population has crashed, it is also probably the easiest part of the game to gauge, the number of active hot-join servers is about half what was in early to mid October, there are threads with people complaing paid tournies are unplayable off-peak (NA) becasue there are so few people queueing for them. Many of the “Pro” teams can now be seen playing LoL, DOTA 2, etc, because in the current form GW2 tPvP is pointless and often with long waits.

Once a game is a few months old and people start hitting max level and spending more time in PvP and dungeons, the other game areas become rather desolate.

Not really, the current emptyiness of most zones in GW2 is far worse than previous games I’ve played this early in the games life, granted it is not healped by how fast people can level, or fractals, but even before fractals teh emptiness of most zones were akin to something I’d expect much further down the line, not two months in. (note – I play on a server marked “full”)

The queues in WvW (at least in EU) are nothing like they used to be (and yes I’m on a t1 “full” world), many guilds or signifcant chunks of them have also gone to PS2 and many players who want “real” open world PvP are waiting on the new Darkfall game.

Nor are there as many “full” servers (at least on EU, don’t know about NA), currently the only two that regualrly appear as ‘full’ are Desolation and Blacktide, a month ago there were generally at least 4 appearing, often up to 7 or 8.

The Twitch figures say it all about GW2, no one expects a game to generate the same level of interest that it does during the initial launch period, but the fall from top 3 20K+ viewers to as I type this 38th with 95 viewers, just says it all, especially about a game promoted as a potential e-sport.

Any claims about the game dying are indeed silly, many MMORPGs trundle along with relatively few players, however that wasn’t the claim in this thread, it was about a decrease in population, it is clearly the case there has been a big decrease, it is especially obivous in certain areas like sPvP, it is amazing that a game that promoted itself as an e-sport has lost PvPers faster than many “PvE MMORPGs”, perhaps that is a contributing factor toward their decision to seemingly target casual Pvers with fluff events, vertial gear progression, etc.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

beren.6048

I see a pretty steady increase in population. No, I am not trolling you.

I think since the Tier 1 servers are full, players are starting to migrate into Tier 2. I see new faces everyday on Sanctum of Rall. Yesterday all 4 borderlands were full and queued, and its stemming into the PvE world as well. There’s people in every zone to DEs with.

Reading your post I was thinking, can’t it be that the old servers like desolation are “Full” with inactive accounts? That would seriously damage the influx of new players.

beren.6048

Lots of people will say their server is busy, heaving with people, no trouble getting a party or doing events and DE’s.

I don’t see any of that, pretty much dead.

Desolation is really empty in the open areas, wouldn’t say death. This is clearly because of the fractals, before that Orr was fine. The drops are out proportion. Even in Orr you mostly drop greens, in the fractals you drop exotics. It is all very predictable.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I PvE and although I don’t see “zerg” groups like I did at release. I still see people at each and every DE I come across. Once that DE is completed, they go back to what they were doing before. Just announce in Map chat that an event is taking place or need help with Skill challenge or vista and usually people will come by to assist.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

În our case it may say “Full” in the world list, but when we are playing we notice little people, in PVE, Dungeons, WvW, it’s getting sad me playing alone in a MMO all the time…
Anyway :P

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Volomon.9147

Volomon.9147

LA is always in overflow because it is the meeting area for fractals. Other areas are a lot quieter because of lower rewards for killing stuff so it’s not worth the time.

A lot of servers don’t even have Lion’s Arch overflow even with the fractals thing. Any player on one of these servers assumes it’s an issue with every server. I know I did. I almost 100% quit because of it. I assumed the entire game was like this on every server. Till I transferred and found out it wasn’t.

Posted by: Kardiamond.6952

Kardiamond.6952

Anvil Rock here,

We aren’t a big server, we are in the 7th WvW tier.

But our LA nearly always has a overflow.

I saw less people in Orr, but I think it’s normal with the new content.

Rotthen (Necro) / Zhyx (Engineer) /Inglorious Beasterd (Ranger)
Server : Anvil Rock (Since Release!) [SOLO]

Posted by: ZeroStatic.2176

ZeroStatic.2176

If I have to believe my friendslist roughly 66% of the people I knew stopped playing, if not more.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

There are loads in my friends list as well, sadly all gone now.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

(edited by Solid Gold.9310)

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

whats that mmo?

Posted by: Nonlinear.9823

Nonlinear.9823

People aren’t leveling alts only a fraction of the people at the typical DE grind spots that were packed when I leveled my first 80 (e.g. Kessex Hills Centaurs, Harathi Centaurs, Undead/Griffon Eggs, Orr).

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

There are loads in my friends list as well, sadly all gone now.

I see the samething, never saw much people I meet in the first times of the game again. O__o

Some I know who stoped playing said that Guild Wars 2 didn’t go high as the expectations before Launch. =/

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

XCOM: Enemy Unknown keeps pulling me back. I only started playing it and . . . wow, I’ve never had so much fun getting my. . . behind kicked by a game before.

Whenever I look at the GW2 icon on my desktop, I’m slowly having less and less inclination to click it. I log in to do some PvP, check the AH and WvW. Then not long after promply log out and either hang out in Rohan (LoTRO) or have one of my friends killed in XCOM again lol.

FYI, I’m not doing Ironman mode but I am using only one save file. So it’s kinda the same but not really. Too scared to try Ironman.

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Posted by: Kymaera Stormweaver.1069

Kymaera Stormweaver.1069

Think there’s another thread on this, but yeah, a lot of people are never on in my friendlist or rarely log in these days. Most the gw1 veterans I met in gw2 I don’t see on anymore. Also, most the people I met on Darkhaven have migrated servers…

Orr is pretty lonely these days. That may just be the nerf to Plinx and dynamic events in general that caused that though.

Variety, multiplicity are the two most powerful vehicles of lust.
– Marquis de Sade

Posted by: Oh Snapalope.1378

Oh Snapalope.1378

Honestly if Dota isn’t so frustrating to play sometimes, I wouldn’t be playing this game.

Posted by: Slyder.9215

Slyder.9215

What I realize now is that although I’m not a hardcore RP’er, I am a social player. I like hanging out in towns and socializing with other people. Taking in the world, lore and atmosphere.

Thing is, as beautiful as this game is, for some reason I don’t feel a connection to it. I’m familiar with the lore and it’s a nice lore. But I don’t know if it’s the presentation (or the writing, or the voice acting) or something, but I really don’t feel part of it.

Things like this is something LoTRO and The Secret World does well. And is also the reason I played FFXIV as long as I did, knowing full well all it’s problems. I didn’t play FFXI, and I kinda wish I did. If there’s anything Square-Enix can do, it’s how to make you feel connected and invested in the world.

Wrenchy Mcboomboom
Engineer

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

GW2 has to be the worst MMO ever created, if judging by these forums.

just sayin’.

also, every player on every MMO forum has an empty friends list that used to be full to capacity with players. Every single MMO’s forum. even the super successful ones.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

Posted by: Mike.9451

Mike.9451

I’m never in overflows on my server anymore. I think a lot of people have left the game or are in the process of quitting. Me and my friends have no motivation to play anymore. The endgame is just not there and its depressing. Why gear up? Whats the point? To sit in Lions Arch and look cool? Pretty pathetic system.

In other traditional MMO’s at least you’d have a point to gear up. You could have Open World PvP fights on your own server. Fight the opposite faction. Faction pride. Build alliances, build rivalries. It was fun. But Guild Wars 2 is not fun and neither is WvW. Why fight people who you’ll most likely never see again? Wtf is the point? Theres no sense of community, friendships, rivalries, or any point to continue.

Theres no point. Its not fun. No motivation. Thats why people are leaving. However the die-hard fanboys will fight to the death to defend this game, so they will disagree with me.

Posted by: Ace.5196

Ace.5196

I’m never in overflows on my server anymore. I think a lot of people have left the game or are in the process of quitting. Me and my friends have no motivation to play anymore. The endgame is just not there and its depressing. Why gear up? Whats the point? To sit in Lions Arch and look cool? Pretty pathetic system.

In other traditional MMO’s at least you’d have a point to gear up. You could have Open World PvP fights on your own server. Fight the opposite faction. Faction pride. Build alliances, build rivalries. It was fun. But Guild Wars 2 is not fun and neither is WvW. Why fight people who you’ll most likely never see again? Wtf is the point? Theres no sense of community, friendships, rivalries, or any point to continue.

Theres no point. Its not fun. No motivation. Thats why people are leaving.

I agree. In our guild ,~60 ppl, there are 3 people left playing daily. One of them seems to have given up which leaves it with me and another guy. I’m on a different server btw since I wanted 100% map completion and there was no chance in hell I would get that while being on ferguson’s crossing (WvW). Earlier today when I didn’t find anything interesting to flip on the marketplace I started to think a little, like, why am I even doing this? All my guild friends has given up on the game, my irl friends lost any interest they had during the lost shores invite weekend and I’m here sitting trying to make gold because… I can’t even think of a reason to do it anymore. I’ve lost interest in the game. I don’t want to, but there’s really not much left to do. I’ve discovered the world, I’ve got atleast exotic gear, finished the story line, finished most of the jumping puzzles and dungeons. WvW doesn’t really interest me because it doesn’t feel rewarding nor fun. I sincerely hope the next block of content is going to make it interesting or atleast, fun.

Ferguson’s crossing seems more or less dead, I’m on devona’s rest now and atleast I get to the overflow in LA. I see one or two players in low level areas. Mid level areas are almost always empty, same with home citys.

Posted by: Phantasmal.5631

Phantasmal.5631

FoTM patch killed the population from being anywhere else besides LA. It seems like they will continuously make it FoTM and that’s it. WvW won’t get any items until they are done rolling out Ascended gear in FoTM and that’s it. We’ll see if they promise what they preach in the AMA, but who knows. The wording is vague and it will probably be 3 months before WvW or PvE gets any of the ascended gear that affects both PvE and WvW.

Crazy decision making like the Fractal patch is what’s killing the population.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I wish peeps would stop using overflow in LA as a response, we all know thats no excuse!

Gnatoay.7581

Why isnt that wonderful?

Pvp in fractals, WvsW in fractals, Live eat sleep party in fractals all the fun in a box aren’t you thankful?