Anything for St Patricks day?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Q:

Just curious if there will be any plans for the holiday, we could use some pots of gold or some magical find :P

Maybe some event MF food with a twist?
Green outfits?
Candy coins?

Idk.. anywho, just curious. To answer another question in the same thread, same question for easter :P Even though I’m working on my own event, I can’t do it for every server.For everyone else, anything you would like to see in store or in game for the two holidays?

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: brokenserenity.4638

brokenserenity.4638

A:

Guild Wars is having a week long event where four leaf clovers and booze drops from mobs, its an annual thing in that game but other than that theres nothing else going on it would seem…kind of a pitty as i would have loved to get a leprechaun outfit for my asura or something from the gem store

GW also celebrates talk like a pirate day in september so hopefully given lions arch is run by them gw2 will celebrate this year.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

I doubt GW2 will take any events from GW other than christmas, halloween, etc. only major ones

We haven’t even one thing like double rare drops since GW2 was released.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Since it’s not a world wide festivity I dont see why they should. It’s just a very irish christian celebration that stretches to irish parts of america.

Personally, with the mythos around Saint Patrick, I dont see it fitting at all to celebrate this day in a worldwide multicultural game.

As a very strongly non-christian I would personally find it very offensive for such a celebration to take place, especially due to the story about St. Patrick driving the “snakes” from ireland. Aswell as the destruction of ancient celtic monuments.

Thats not something that should be celebrated.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Since it’s not a world wide festivity I dont see why they should. It’s just a very irish christian celebration that stretches to irish parts of america.

Personally, with the mythos around Saint Patrick, I dont see it fitting at all to celebrate this day in a worldwide multicultural game.

As a very strongly non-christian I would personally find it very offensive for such a celebration to take place, especially due to the story about St. Patrick driving the “snakes” from ireland. Aswell as the destruction of ancient celtic monuments.

You’re taking it too literally/seriously it’s just supposed to be a fun celebration, an excuse to party or wear green. GW1 also held events for things like year of the dragon.

I’m athiest and no holiday bothers me.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You’re taking it too literally/seriously it’s just supposed to be a fun celebration, an excuse to party or wear green. GW1 also held events for things like year of the dragon.

It depends where you are in the world. In America it’s mostly a day for people to get drunk and joke about being “Irish for the day” but in Ireland it’s still primarily a religious holiday and a celebration of the nations history. In a lot of places it’s not celebrated at all.

And yes a lot of pagans, in Ireland and elsewhere, are offended by the idea of celebrating St. Partrick, who is best known for “driving the snakes out of Ireland” which (since there have never been actual snakes in Ireland) is commonly interpreted as driving out (and/or killing) the native pagans.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

It depends where you are in the world. In America it’s mostly a day for people to get drunk and joke about being “Irish for the day” but in Ireland it’s still primarily a religious holiday and a celebration of the nations history. In a lot of places it’s not celebrated at all.

And yes a lot of pagans, in Ireland and elsewhere, are offended by the idea of celebrating St. Partrick, who is best known for “driving the snakes out of Ireland” which (since there have never been actual snakes in Ireland) is commonly interpreted as driving out (and/or killing) the native pagans.

Good thing this is a video game and we don’t have real life holidays, right?

A video game holiday is similar, but they are not the same. They don’t celebrate them as we do in real life, they are tuned to the world in the video game.

So everyone please get off your atheist podium and relax. Just because we celebrate something like Christmas in the real world, doesn’t mean we can’t have Wintersday. They have different meanings and similar themes. That’s all.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Green Quaggan Backpack coming!

Can be crafted for:
1 Eldritch Scroll
250 Four Leaf Clovers
250 Piles of Crystalline Dust
1 Gift of the Quaggan

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

St. Patricks day might as well be named Guinness day these days. Still, out of the following things:

Paganism
Christianity
Guinness

I know which one I believe in.

Posted by: purpleskies.3274

purpleskies.3274

I think we should all get an assortment of green dye in the mail so we can all look like we should!

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Would be neat if they do some kind of costume or just a small St.Pats themed thing.
Kinda like how Gw1 having clovers and booze dropping.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

St Patricks Day… that’s that Irish thing right? Very few Irishmen around where I live but it would be fine by me, the more content the better I guess, even if it is only a few small changes like loot drops or mobs.

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

Don’t worry.. they’ll have some 400 gem town clothes on the gem store like valentines day.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

It doesn’t have to be referred to as St Patricks day, much like Wintersday is not christmas. Just a reason to celebrate. And a reminder to people that forums are not a place for religious arguments. This thread was intended for “holiday” ideas, and those holidays listed are merely representations of “themes” not beliefs in game.

15greenkittens

Laurel MF boosts are green clovers, just sayen :P

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

SneakyErvin.3056

There is a big difference between x-mas, easter, midsummer, new years (whatever its called where its called what its called) celebration and the celebration of St. Patrick.

On neither of the other holidays do people celebrate a murderer, fanatic or bigot.

Almost every other culture has something that falls in under christmas, easter, midsummer and so on, they are all universal holidays. But St. Patrick is a very specific holiday, catering to a very small crowd, and what the center of that holiday is infact a murdering fanatic.

And the people that say “you are taking it too literally/seriously”, how? It is a serious thing that has just gotten obscured by time, just because the major religion is christianity. It’s still horrible deeds done, even if done thousands of years ago.

Will we have a Hitler day in 1500 years aswell? Will people tell the jews then that they take it too seriously or litterally and its just about having fun when they object to the celebration?

Again it could have nothing to do with St Patricks day, it is just synonymous with green, drinking, leprechauns and whatnot. Yes there is a serious and actual account of what this day actually means, as is there one for Christmas and every other holiday. But I’m not asking them to toss in encyclopedia britanica into the game, I’m asking for what is almost universally celebrated, which is the theme alone. Since I doubt even half the people know anymore about the actual day other than everyone else wears green and drinks. And again, this is not a religious debate on what religious days/holidays/events are right or not.

Simply put they can call it “Day 17” for all I care, or “Green week” it matters not. But seriously to bring in religious beliefs and try to say that we cannot celebrate it in a game that has several gods, dietys, evil worshipers, centaurs, and quaggens,, Any debate thereof is pointless. I understand we all have our right to speech and religious beliefs but this is not the place for that discussion. Nor was it intended to be as such. Again, for the most clear I can possibly be, I’m interested in peoples opinions of what they would like to see for holiday """"Themed""" gem store or event ideas.

As for “But St. Patrick is a very specific holiday, catering to a very small crowd, and what the center of that holiday is infact a murdering fanatic.”

That small crowd of people who celebrate the “theme” and enjoy it for the “theme” is in excess of 4 Million. That’s outside the USA. Inside the US almost every single state holds a parade, gathering or celebration of some sort.

But lets get back to the topic, because come Monday i see forum mods handing out infractions for every religious ideal posted. And again, that was not the intent of this thread.

It doesnt really matter what its called in the game.

The thing is, we who know about the history of this holiday and dont agree with it, we will know what its refering to in game. Why should we have to passivly take part in or be reminded of something like this that we see as a crime or black mark in our history?

It just doesnt belong in-game, especially if it offends some people due to it’s religious and extremist backstory. When people hear about desecrated temples, shrines or statues on the news these days they are disgusted and dont understand how people can do such things. But if it was done 1500 years ago its ok to celebrate the man who did it and passivly force others to be part of it?

SneakyErvin.3056

But ok, too meet you halfway.

Add a lunatic running around chasing invisible snakes and let those that want to go hunt him down, since hes a security risk. Maybe make a world event of it, stop him from razzing a statue or a temple of one of the six gods. Have him drop a chest of rewards.

Oh and toss in some asuras with green clothes, a funny hat and hunger for gold.

Posted by: Moderator.3406

Moderator.3406

As these boards are not the right place for political or religious discussions, this thread is now closed.