Anyway to see a list of all who is in zone ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Anesjka.6049

Anesjka.6049

I just started this game 2 week ago. come here from black desert….

I just seen someone blink right in front of me onto a rich mithril vein, try mining it then blink out all within a few seconds.

Laura..something….

Now that being said, …. just about 10 minute before, reported someone trying to afk xp / bot with the name first of Laura also…. wonder if it was same person…

So I am asking two things I guess…

1. how bad is cheating in this game ?
2. is their any way to see a list of players in zone, or search for a player with a specific name…

thank you.

Anesjka.6049

to clarify, the mithril vein they blink to was located underwater in the mine in this location.

https://s26.postimg.org/mwwlpzde1/Untitled.jpg

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Many players park characters at locations just to gather materials or open chests, etc. Others may load a character in, and then use a Waypoint to go elsewhere.

There is no way to see a list of all players in a map. You can add players to your various ‘Friends’ lists by either typing the name (character or Display name), or clicking on the character, then right-clicking on the name at the top of the screen, or right-clicking a name in chat.

If you feel a player is breaking the EULA, you can use the ‘report’ option.

Good luck.

Posted by: Essal.6501

Essal.6501

Hmm yeah i might have been a cheater but i gotta say its been a really long time since i saw one. But yeah as others have said ppl camp the rich veins so it might have just been the game haveing some kind of pathing problem duing the log in

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Fortunately there’s no way to invade the privacy of all players in the map as you’re asking, and – to be frank – it’s weird to me that you’ve been playing two weeks and before you even understand the mechanics of the game and what is/isn’t legit, you’re already reporting people for botting? I’ve been playing for years and I’m never sure if someone’s botting or just logging in and out quickly, as the other posters have explained. Coming straight into a game and doing that… just seem overly judgemental.

Anesjka.6049

Fortunately there’s no way to invade the privacy of all players in the map as you’re asking, and – to be frank – it’s weird to me that you’ve been playing two weeks and before you even understand the mechanics of the game and what is/isn’t legit, you’re already reporting people for botting? I’ve been playing for years and I’m never sure if someone’s botting or just logging in and out quickly, as the other posters have explained. Coming straight into a game and doing that… just seem overly judgemental.

This game is quite different from other games and for being 5 years old has alot of ground to cover as far as mechanics go.

Hell i do not even know what Fractals are yet….But i see them mentioned.
Why you may ask ?

Because I play for fun. I do not treat games like these as jobs and I do not go out of my way to min max or be super elite.
I buy outfits, I have fun…. I play how I like.
But I Digress….

It is good to hear cheating is not rampant in this game, everyone else thank you for the replies.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

This game is quite different from other games and for being 5 years old has alot of ground to cover as far as mechanics go.

The mechanic you had a problem with was knowing that people park their toons at nodes and log in just to farm them. If that seemed weird, it would be only natural to ask about it in the forums…. or just observe for a few weeks or months. Reporting them as a cheater from the get-go seems an odd first reaction to something you’re not familiar with. But whatever. Each to his own.

everyone else thank you for the replies.

Ouch. Welcome to the game. I really do hope you enjoy it.

Posted by: tairneanach.8427

tairneanach.8427

The mechanic you had a problem with was knowing that people park their toons at nodes and log in just to farm them. If that seemed weird, it would be only natural to ask about it in the forums…. or just observe for a few weeks or months. Reporting them as a cheater from the get-go seems an odd first reaction to something you’re not familiar with. But whatever. Each to his own.

In other games, people use hacks to teleport themselves to nodes to mine them all over the map. Being familiar with that, why wouldn’t their first reaction to someone appearing at a node, mining it and then vanishing be to think that they were using a similar program?

Posted by: Gahzirra.8639

Gahzirra.8639

In other games, people use hacks to teleport themselves to nodes to mine them all over the map. Being familiar with that, why wouldn’t their first reaction to someone appearing at a node, mining it and then vanishing be to think that they were using a similar program?

Especially because that same teleport hack was here in GW2 when first released for a while.

Love the people who are always like, you don’t know it’s a bot or hack as if were all new to games…when in actuality they are the newb and cannot recognise the obvious.

Ranger with torch anyone?

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Actually, having. “Where” command might come in handy. For instance, /w would list all people in your current map so you could judge the population for possible event attendees. Maybe. Kinda.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you suspect someone of botting, hacking, cheating…whatever the best thing to do is report them.

It’s not an automated system – you won’t get an innocent person banned simply by sending a report (or even several reports). Nothing will happen until an actual person has looked into the situation and made a decision. So if they’re not doing anything wrong they have nothing to worry about.

If they move away before you can report them there’s nothing you can do, but chances are someone else will report them or Anet’s own systems will pick them up sooner or later.

Actually, having. “Where” command might come in handy. For instance, /w would list all people in your current map so you could judge the population for possible event attendees. Maybe. Kinda.

Having a count of people in the map, and ideally some idea of where they are, would be very useful in some situations. It’s not uncommon for someone to drop into a map like Dragon’s Stand or SIlverwastes (where player numbers are important), look at the area immediately around the waypoint and declare the map “dead” and start telling everyone to leave based entirely on the number of people in that one spot.

Or do the same just because there isn’t a commander. Last time I did Dragon’s Stand the north lane didn’t have a commander until about 1/2 way through. We had about 20 people and were actually completing our events ahead of the other two groups but people were so fixated on the need for one person to have a signpost over their head that they kept on insisting we were going to cause the whole map to fail because there weren’t enough people.

Once someone gets started on that, and especially once they’ve told other people who may be new to the map and don’t know how it works it can be very hard for anything (even succeeding at the events) to get through to them. Whereas if there was a quick way for them to check the population when they enter (maybe showing a total as well – e.g. 53/150) they wouldn’t need to start worrying over nothing.

But I can’t see any benefit to providing the actual names of the people in the map.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Invade privacy? Before I came here I used Second Life, which not only gives you a list to how far away people are it also puts dots for everyone on the map, oh, and tells you how many people are in a region so you know if you are near/at the limit. Also where the major events are because that will be where all the dots cluster.

Only the most neurotic people called it an invasion of privacy.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

If you suspect someone of botting, hacking, cheating…whatever the best thing to do is report them.

It’s not an automated system – you won’t get an innocent person banned simply by sending a report (or even several reports). Nothing will happen until an actual person has looked into the situation and made a decision. So if they’re not doing anything wrong they have nothing to worry about.

If they move away before you can report them there’s nothing you can do, but chances are someone else will report them or Anet’s own systems will pick them up sooner or later.

Having a count of people in the map, and ideally some idea of where they are, would be very useful in some situations. It’s not uncommon for someone to drop into a map like Dragon’s Stand or SIlverwastes (where player numbers are important), look at the area immediately around the waypoint and declare the map “dead” and start telling everyone to leave based entirely on the number of people in that one spot.

Or do the same just because there isn’t a commander. Last time I did Dragon’s Stand the north lane didn’t have a commander until about 1/2 way through. We had about 20 people and were actually completing our events ahead of the other two groups but people were so fixated on the need for one person to have a signpost over their head that they kept on insisting we were going to cause the whole map to fail because there weren’t enough people.

Once someone gets started on that, and especially once they’ve told other people who may be new to the map and don’t know how it works it can be very hard for anything (even succeeding at the events) to get through to them. Whereas if there was a quick way for them to check the population when they enter (maybe showing a total as well – e.g. 53/150) they wouldn’t need to start worrying over nothing.

But I can’t see any benefit to providing the actual names of the people in the map.

When I have seen names elsewhere it has been to provide click targets for actions. So, yeah, the only names you probably would care about are friends if GW2 is not going to add actions (like joining a party or adding a friend) to the names. We should at the minimum get map dots without tagging up and/or shard population counts though.