April fools patch notes = foreshadowing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

So a friend of mine and myself went through the patch notes together and actually thought quite a few times “what if this is actually a new mechanic coming to the game?” and that anet might wanted to get some opinions on these things “masked” as just a joke.

“Elementalist:
Fire Attunement now sets the caster on fire until water attunement is cast.”
This could be a new elite mechanic for ele. They get a debuff that will deal permanent damage to them but in return do more damage or something similar. I think it would actually be good for ele’s as they could balance the damage out with healing while also getting a needed dps boost.

“Guardian:
Morality system added for guardians. Failing to remain virtuous will cause you to lose access to your Virtue skills.”
Also could be a new elite thing. You get new op virtues, the more of them you have on cooldown, the stronger the rest of them get. If you have all of them on cooldown, they are locked and can not be used again until you leave battle mode. Could be a good change to guard too, as it would encourage more thoughtful play instead of “burn all the cooldowns!”

“Mesmer:
The following mesmer weapons can now only be wielded in the off hand: sword, scepter, staff, and greatsword.”
The focus on all weapons being off-hand could be a teaser that the next weapon coming will be a main hand.

“Necromancer:
Minion skills now require corpses. Flesh Golem requires multiple corpses to cast.”
Also seems like a interesting elite idea for necro. You can resurrect a killed mob to fight by your side (not sure how it would work against players though). Maybe you could even go a step further and replace shroud with something like “corpse shell” that makes you basically invincible as long as you have active corpses and place corpse-related skills to F1-F4.

“Warrior:
Phalanx Strength now applies Fury, Regeneration, Protection, Aegis, Resistance, Vigor, Swiftness, Quickness, Alacrity, Spotter, Stealth, Super Speed, and Fire Attunement in addition to Might.”
Could be a teaser that they want to give warrior’s a more supporty role in the future.

Just a few thoughts that crossed our minds there. What would you think about the “new mechanics” if they would actually be confirmed to be a real thing?

Also cheers to the guys at anet that wrote the patch notes and hoped for someone to interpret too much into it. :P

(edited by Takashiro.8701)

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

/snip

“Necromancer:
Minion skills now require corpses. Flesh Golem requires multiple corpses to cast.”
Also seems like a interesting elite idea for necro. You can resurrect a killed mob to fight by your side (not sure how it would work against players though). Maybe you could even go a step further and replace shroud with something like “corpse shell” that makes you basically invincible as long as you have active corpses and place corpse-related skills to F1-F4.

/endsnip

This was actually a thing in GW1… in order to be an effective minion master, you had to have corpses to create minions. Flesh golems only took one corpse, though.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Lol at the Ele’s “needed DPS boost”

Seriously though I think you’re reading way too much into these notes. They were just made in lighthearted fun, and even acknowledge a lot of the jokes/complains players have about the balance in this game and the game in general.

For example:

• “Random number generation is no longer random. It is now seeded by account name. " A response to all of those people who complain about their accounts being “unlucky”
  • “Due to time fluctuations, Alacrity can no longer be applied to chronomancers.” Acknowledgement of how many mesmers felt when Revs got alacrity. Taking away everything that made chrono unique, up to the point of removing alacrity from it. Quite clever imo
  • “Rangers can now dual-wield short bows.” What can I say, this actually came up in a thread a few weeks ago, including an ANet employee (Ben, I think?) being the one to bring up the idea iirc
  • “Infantile mode is now available for all raids. Bosses have 50% reduced health and outgoing damage. Loot from the boss chests consists of two blues and a green.” This is a 2 for 1. Acknowledging the meme of the drops in this game (2 blues and a green), and that many players have been requesting an easier raid mode (not to mention tying it into SAB as well)

So on and so forth. Its just good , lighthearted fun, and also serves as a way for ANet to let us know that they have actually seen and recognized these complaints by the community, even if they haven’t acted on them yet.

And for mesmer in particular, most everyone agrees that we are going to be getting either a MH or 2H weapon for a few reasons. A) – We just got an off hand weapon in shield. – Our MH weapons are severely limited compared to off hand. Sw/Scepter are it for MH weapons, whereas for OH we have Sw/Focus/Pistol/Torch.

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

Dulfy link to patch notes
The recent patch notes are obviously a joke since the SAB no longer count as one…. We’ve come a long way since the Comando reveal….
BUT… that doesn’t mean that all ideas there are stupid.

Lets separate here the Aprill fool patch note ideas that have potential (with the right twiking obviously).

“If you plant Caladbolg in the Grove, you will gain a new Mini Trahearne Backpack. With careful feeding and attention, he will grow up to accompany you on your adventures.”
The Mawdrey Vine backpiece comes immediately to mind. It’s an item, almost mandatory to make at some point for any veteran player, due to the Mawdrey II sideproduct that acts as a sink of all that endless amounts of dust you’ve been getting.
Building this was an unbelievable chore, not just for the pricey, often time gatet, materials needed for it’s construction, but also for the large amount of in-between items that take space in your inventory. Having this thing grow somewhere in your home instance and get there once in a while to drop items (and water it) would make it a much more enjoyable side-quest.
Now if we plant Caladbog and let it grow into a Caladbog II updated skin, it would also be cool.

“Additional beard skins can be unlocked after purchasing Wide Rim Glasses and Shoulder Scarf from the Gem Store.”
While a Dr Eggman cosplay would be cool…
I believe male humans need more rough facial features to look less like male models and more like male ugly (power) Fantasy. IMO the human female Meta has gone out of control because while both male and female models look good, both look more like models and less like actual realistic veteran adventurers.

“Morality system added for guardians. Failing to remain virtuous will cause you to lose access to your Virtue skills.”
ANYTHING that would make a generic skill taping class more interesting will do. I’ll dare and mention an example from “the MMO that should not be named”. They had lots of classes that became boring. All they did was taping skills and spending mana. In an expansion (don’t remember which one) they removed mana from all classes but one, and replaced each with mechanics unique for that class. It would do good for the Guardian and many other classes to have some extra mechanic to spice things up.

“Fixed a bug that allowed professions other than necromancer to talk to ghost NPCs”
Any mechanic that would make professions feel unique will do. Add locked chest for Thiefs. Activatable control panels for Engis. All could give minor (irrelevant) support for a potential dungeon party, and make each player love his class more.

“Slothasor is tired of the constant interrupts from his naps and will now enrage, dealing 500% outgoing damage each time he wakes up.”
With the game breaking Zerker meta persisting even in raids, and with me being strongly against it, I wouldn’t say no to the Enrage mechanics kicking it “when the boss is Overdamaged”. Would encourage the players to take a tamer approach rather that trying to set a record time.

“(Raid) Jade knights will instantly stomp any player that is downed.”
Going back to my hatred for the Zerker meta, all defensive attributes are being undermined from the very generus dodge and downed mechanics. It would be good if in the end-game fights being downed is not an option.

“The technician in the Special Forces Training Arena has finished collecting her data and as such does not require adventurers’ aid. She has left the zone and will no longer spawn golems. She was last heard muttering something about DPS meter elitism.”
Nothing to say… make it true!

“The team that controls Stonemist may now send invaders into other worlds’ dungeons and raid instances. Invaders will be represented by a red glow.”
Sending red Phantom invaders to Fractals would be fantastic… and by giving an excuse to stay near and defend a WvW base for once no less! The odds will always be stacked against the invader as he’ll have to deal with 5 players, and the system could prioritize sending him to instances where the players clearly have the uper hand and are finishing it with little effort. A seasoned pvper will always find ways to make the most against the unprepared.

…and don’t be toxic!

(edited by Kite.2510)

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

eles getting a needed dps boost xDDDDDDDDD lul the op plays a diff game xD on a diff note of the next mesmer weapon is main hard i hope the leaks for axe are legit coz axe feels apropriate.

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Hehe. I love April fools joke posts like this.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The thing is, if the jokes are too witty and require subtle knowledge of Gw2, then it will be difficult for casual players that may not log on every April Fools. I think that is too elitist and unfair to people that spend thousands of gems every month.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why link to Dulfy when the Patch Notes are on this very forum originally? Seems odd to me, lol.

Oh, and Mawdrey (I or II) isn’t required; I use one of the other feeders for my Bloodstone Dust, that is neither pricey nor especially time-consuming.

Or is that part of the joke? =)

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: DarkSoul.3792

DarkSoul.3792

“The team that controls Stonemist may now send invaders into other worlds’ dungeons and raid instances. Invaders will be represented by a red glow.”
Sending red Phantom invaders to Fractals would be fantastic… and by giving an excuse to stay near and defend a WvW base for once no less! The odds will always be stacked against the invader as he’ll have to deal with 5 players, and the system could prioritize sending him to instances where the players clearly have the uper hand and are finishing it with little effort. A seasoned pvper will always find ways to make the most against the unprepared.

??
1. This would lead to the PvE community complaining they keep dying because they’re mostly in zerker and a good thief or roamer would be a big obstacle, probably too big
2. PvE is in a megaserver, so how would they decipher who is in what server, all 5 of the people in the dungeon/fractal could be on different servers

It was a nice joke though

Fort Aspenwood
Legends Never [DIE] / The Legacy [OBEY]
Main – Vexx Flamewalker (Tempest)

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

Why link to Dulfy when the Patch Notes are on this very forum originally? Seems odd to me, lol.

Oh, and Mawdrey (I or II) isn’t required; I use one of the other feeders for my Bloodstone Dust, that is neither pricey nor especially time-consuming.

Or is that part of the joke? =)

I avoid using the official forums, but I visit dulfy almost daily for the news. It was much easier.
Herta is a HOT item, and it didn’t exist when I began making this thing. It was tedious and for a period I putted it on the side, but I came back and finished it to get rid of all those items sitting at my bank.
I believe that making this a marathon of combining items was wasted potential. It could had worked much better as a Pot in my home instance with a nice picture that changed the more you dumped items into it (rather than adding them in a specific order).

??
1. This would lead to the PvE community complaining they keep dying because they’re mostly in zerker and a good thief or roamer would be a big obstacle, probably too big
2. PvE is in a megaserver, so how would they decipher who is in what server, all 5 of the people in the dungeon/fractal could be on different servers

It was a nice joke though

I play Souls games and I have no problem with the occasional PvP invader. From those games I know that the invaders are always at a disadvantage, like limited healing or reduced health, but at the same time they bring so much more tension to the game. Only the most veteran pvpers could ruin a pve teams game. Measures could be taken to avoid giving sneaky thieves to much freedom, like limiting their available space in the instance, or being time gated or notifying players that an invader is lurking around.
Having them prioritize players who are cheesing the instance would make an occasional boring run much more enjoyable.

Don’t see A-net doing anything on it though…. They want to keep PvP and PvE as separated as possible, despite WvW having been demoted into a champion farm.

…and don’t be toxic!

(edited by Kite.2510)

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

/snaps fingers
Aw shucks too bad ghost thieves got nerfed, this would have been an excellent time to use them.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Takashiro.8701

Takashiro.8701

I’ll admit that i havn’t played much pvp in the past few months xD I heard (for pvp atleast) that ele’s are kind of forced to play a support/healing builds and therefore often struggle with own dps, so i thought they dont really have a “viable” main dps build.
Sorry for my lack of knockledge on that one. :P

Posted by: Lahemic.6097

Lahemic.6097

A Dark Spirit has invaded!

Attachments:

Help bring Roleplaying in GW2 into the mainstream!
https://tinyurl.com/RoleplayGW2

Posted by: Saphykun.3206

Saphykun.3206

Warriors triple-wielding weapons with the third weapon on their head would be such a nice feature (but will never happen, obviously)… and so would crossbows à la Valla/Diablo 3. More old-fashioned pewpewpewing!

I actually would be against buffing Phalanx Strength despite maining a warrior class. Everything after fury is ridonkulous, and, well, just doesn’t work with the warrior if we take into account semantics and technicalities :P

But yeah, some of these features would be pretty cool to see in-game, but others… well, I got some giggles out of that (would love to see my elementalist get set on fire).

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I think it would be cool if elementalist got an accumulating debuff while camping an attunement that improved their skills. For an elite spec anyhow.

Stacks clear on attunement swap,

Every second while attuned to fire you gain a stacking debuff that causes self burning but also causes burn to scale from power aswell as condition damage. All fire skills have burning now.

Every second while attuned to earth you gain a stacking debuff that slows your movement speed but also reduces damage taken by +x%.

Every second while attuned to air you gain a stacking debuff that increases all dmg you take but gives the damage you deal +x% splash damage.

Every second while attuned to water you gain a stacking debuff that reduces healing you receive but increases all out going healing by +x%.