Archeage style sea combat !

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

Can we have this in game ? pretty please !
Can be for both pve and pvp new big maps treacherous ocean and isles to explore !
We could have like a dock in the guild hall.
Where you can upgrade to shipyard then start building small rowboats.
More upgrades can be added later on and quantities of boats.
Damaged boats would be expensive to repair later on.
If you make this the game is complete it would the best AAA title of all time !

Attachments:

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Now that would be an intriguing idea for an expansion… especially revolving around some water dragon shenanigans.

…except for the repair costs… no thanks on that.

The rest I like.

~EW

Extreme.8350

Now that would be an intriguing idea for an expansion… especially revolving around some water dragon shenanigans.

The rest I like.

~EW

How it works is that you have this construction site in the guild hall.
Which eventually turn into a boat. The more materials you get.
The idea of repair cost is to not mess up. Play properly or get punished !
You could also steal cargo from other guilds which you could turn in on isles

Attachments:

EphemeralWallaby.7643

The rest I like.

~EW

I don’t have a guild, nor a guild hall. But, there would likely be a few ways such a situation could be circumvented so that a guildhall wouldn’t necessarily be needed… like a personal instance set up in LA. Maybe smaller personal boats and larger guildhall boats?

Plus, my gaming philosophy is that players should always feel challenged, but they should never feel punished. Defeat isn’t punishment, but repair costs do feel like punishment to me.

~EW

Extreme.8350

The rest I like.

~EW

I don’t have a guild, nor a guild hall. But, there would likely be a few ways such a situation could be circumvented so that a guildhall wouldn’t necessarily be needed… like a personal instance set up in LA.

Plus, my gaming philosophy is that players should always feel challenged, but they should never feel punished. Defeat isn’t punishment, but repair costs do feel like punishment to me.

~EW

In archeage you have to mess up reallyyy badly to destroy the ship.
Usually you get raided and ship survive .
It could also work without repair costs i suppose.
In archeage there are no guild halls.
Every player can have their own ship (If they can afford it )
However. Since there are guild halls here. Its better for collaborative effort.
Sea expeditions should be done in a team regardless.
So for a small guild you could get a small boat like the one in picture below.
Else you could be that poor guy in a rowboat if have you’re own 1 man guild.

Attachments:

(edited by Extreme.8350)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Having seen how ships move and animate, I’m not 100% sure the engine could pull it off and look good.

Having said that, I’d love to see airship combat using the Pact Airships we see.. Whether in GvG or pvp or maybe as a fractal, I could see players manning the cannons etc. The Guild Hall could have an airport upgrade, with all the tier relating to airship upgrades in some way. Perhaps the ship could even moor above the Guild Hall.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Why have sea when u have airship?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Please no… I have seasickness

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Please no… I have seasickness

Aim it towards the krait! It’ll cause stun and then confusion.

~EW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Why have sea when u have airship?

It’s the next step up for what anet opened up with aerial combat. I want to see a dogfight with the white mantle’s equivalent of the red baron.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Having seen how ships move and animate, I’m not 100% sure the engine could pull it off and look good.

Having said that, I’d love to see airship combat using the Pact Airships we see.. Whether in GvG or pvp or maybe as a fractal, I could see players manning the cannons etc. The Guild Hall could have an airport upgrade, with all the tier relating to airship upgrades in some way. Perhaps the ship could even moor above the Guild Hall.

The game doesn’t handle moving “ground” very well. Watch as things like Lava Font and banners seemingly float away if you try to use them while the airship is moving in Victory or Death.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

+1

Archeage had a massive number of problems, but when you were in a legit ship to ship battle with multiple players it was an insanely fun experience. It’s a pity that peace time mechanics, fishing nerfs, and overuse of safe zones eventually meant it was impossible to actually get in to or profit from those awesome battles.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The game doesn’t handle moving “ground” very well. Watch as things like Lava Font and banners seemingly float away if you try to use them while the airship is moving in Victory or Death.

They fixed this with engine updates as of HoT, though I am fairly certain they didn’t rework the older content using the new tech. You know, because they don’t patch dungeons any more. This was tech they use liberally in the new version of SAB as well as the spinny helix section of the personal story. I was honestly surprised, as they made a really big deal out of this new functionality in the engine pre-release and then barely utilized it.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Extreme.8350

There is so much water in guild halls already. Not much need to be done to them.
Here is illustration of how you could implement the construction yard.

Attachments:

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Ever since I read one of the GW2 novels I’ve thought it would be quite cool to have a way to get around the coast of Tyria by boat. There are unused docks at Rata Sum – perhaps you could get boats from there to the Fire Islands and L.A. Perhaps you could get a boat from L.A. to, uhh, Cantha. Each boat ride could feature small scale fights, a little more in depth than the one on the Airship in Arah Story Mode.

The technology should be there for it, right? I’m not sure how fun that content would end up being though.

Extreme.8350

Ever since I read one of the GW2 novels I’ve thought it would be quite cool to have a way to get around the coast of Tyria by boat. There are unused docks at Rata Sum – perhaps you could get boats from there to the Fire Islands and L.A. Perhaps you could get a boat from L.A. to, uhh, Cantha. Each boat ride could feature small scale fights, a little more in depth than the one on the Airship in Arah Story Mode.

The technology should be there for it, right? I’m not sure how fun that content would end up being though.

It will be fun if there is lot of action and sea monsters,
If its like a train simulator nobody will do it.

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

That’s a cool idea, but I think we can do more with it.

GW2’s world has commercially-available submarines and airships as well as fleets of boats. Personally, I’d much rather include Guns of Icarus style airship battles, or Star Trek-inspired submarine exploration/combat.

I believe a complex vehicle, like a tall ship, should require a small team to coordinate and operate. There could still be small, one-man craft, like fighters, bombers/mine-layers, or scout ships, but the biggest, most powerful vessels should be more complex. Ideally, these would be limited to special WvW maps or specific PvP scenarios, but there certainly could be PvE applications without breaking any “no fly” rules.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

This assumes GW2 can handle moving object on moving object physics good.

It cant.

It can just barely handle moving object on static terrain.

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

It would almost certainly need to be an instance. 100+ players in their own ship would melt everything between your PC and the server.

Khisanth.2948

This assumes GW2 can handle moving object on moving object physics good.

It cant.

It can just barely handle moving object on static terrain.

That reminds me … GW2 still can’t handle slopes.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Gw2 dont have seamless maps, so this is a bit hard to make,it wont feel that good, and will be very limited. if they try to add something similiar.

Still we have a sea dragon to slay, maybe some ship or submarine to be used on the campaign, but similiar to archage it is impossible.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Airships > Boats

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Khisanth.2948

Airships > Boats

Airships also means sea dragon becomes mostly irrelevant :P

Extreme.8350

Here we have a boat in gw2 in all its glory im the sailor onboard !

Attachments:

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Can’t see how this is possible without seamless maps.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

before they ever add anything like this, they should first once and for all fix the games underwater combat system, rebalance it finally, as these skills have not seen one freakign single rebalancing at all since game release and give the underwater combat also their very own traits and make sure also, that no class loses like more than half of all their build diversity the very moment they enter water, like it s the case with thieves, because like half of our skills and gameplay mechanics isn’t useable under watr >.> what sucks hard when you have to fight then there agaisnt a class, which lost basicalyl none of their efficiencies at all and their gameplay mechanics are stil lfully functional working, like for exampel the mesmer, which can still use clones all under water, while we thieves lose our ability to stealth completely .. WTF

So before Anet doesn’t fix finally this huge mess of an absolute underdeveloped and not very well thought out underwater combat system, I give this game no chance, that it will evr have any proper naval battle system before of that….

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Embered.5089

Embered.5089

Instead of guild fights, i find myself imagining large wvw sea battles. With pirates nearby. Arr, the Capricorn WVW version.