Are Black Lion Keys removed from loot tables?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

If they aren’t anywhere in the random drop loot tables, then add my voice to the chorus of boos. While there may not be “pay to win” this goes beyond cosmetics and convenience.

By getting chests but no in-game way to obtain keys through the course of normal gameplay, it forces you on a path through the gem store just to play the “complete” game, something ArenaNet said they wouldn’t do.

This is no different than what Zynga does with Farmville, by the way. I truly didn’t expect it out of a triple-A MMO.

Posted by: Desmond.5396

Desmond.5396

You get plenty of Black Lion Keys by completing zones or doing the personal story. If there would be even more ways to get them the chest rewards wouldn’t be special anymore. I like it this way, it makes leveling alts more fun aswell.

Posted by: Fook.3914

Fook.3914

yet another stealth patch

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

You get plenty of Black Lion Keys by completing zones or doing the personal story. If there would be even more ways to get them the chest rewards wouldn’t be special anymore. I like it this way, it makes leveling alts more fun aswell.

Plenty of keys?
Chest rewards special?!
You must be playing some other game…

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Those things have long been over for most level 80 players… there are no more zones to complete or personal story to do. Yet, we keep playing.

There’s nothing special about the chest rewards whatsoever if you have to pay to get into them. They were earned through the normal course of gameplay, there should be a way to open them through the normal course of gameplay as well.

Again, that’s not convenience or cosmetics – that’s pay-for-access.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I got one this morning so they are out there just very, very rare. I have about 186 black lion chests at the moment with 5 level 80 characters participating. I won’t buy a key as, from what I’ve seen, it’s not worth the gamble. Same with the forge…no interest in gambling when the odds are that bad.

Edit: Oops. I was actually mixing in personal story and doing maps with my latest 80. Don’t remember, but it could have been a story reward. Sorry.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

They should have BLK keys have a higher chance of dropping in low-mid areas. Might help boost things and get people out of LA

Posted by: Wolf Pawpaw.7106

Wolf Pawpaw.7106

I recall that Lyns used to have Black Lion Keys for sale in exchange for Captain’s Council Commendations.
Ever since I discovered this I’ve been saving up to get keys…..but now they seem to be no longer available……just as soon as I reach the amount necessary……

Posted by: Killul.9685

Killul.9685

I’m not in favour of the removal of Black Lion Keys. But it’s not a major thing two of the things are purely for fun and don’t give you an advanatage over other players. Having a booster in solely in pve is not going to affect other players to anything more than a minor ammount.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I agree on this. I used to get a key once in a while from loots, not just from exploration rewards. Maybe once a week I’d loot a key from a mob. A little more than that actually

Now I haven’t seen one in a few months.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Had quite a few keys drop over the past few weeks from story/completion rewards but I have never seeen or heard of keys dropping from mob kills, vets, champs/bosses or even chests in general not even during launch mode.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

A guild member has had two drop in open world this week, so they’re still in the loot tables.
What I find tragically hilarious is that I’ve had more keys drop in general open world play than lodestones. I’ve had 4 keys drop in open world since release; I’ve had 3 lodestones drop.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Flawliss.1890

Flawliss.1890

It may just be my perception, but a while after launch when keys seemed to be drying up, i got none on my main.

Rolled an alt, got a few keys. Around lvl 30. Didn’t see another again.

Did a 3rd alt. Got a few keys. around the same time. No more keys.

RNG being RNG. Its nearly impossible to tell. But when my tin-foil hat feel off. The CIA beamed an explannation to me.

Give a few keys while their “young” and they might buy them when their old.

All i know is. Keys barely exsist now.

“Skritt, I’m hit!”

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

They are quite rare, but I got one during a fractal run yesterday.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Fluor Of Sedling.1084

Fluor Of Sedling.1084

I got a few from Black Lion Chests….

Posted by: Dyno.9467

Dyno.9467

Ive had 3 key drops since release

2 in the 3 day headstart and 1 off a undead in Orr about 2 months ago

Ive got a 178 chests waiting to be opened

“And now, to destroy you”

Asura – Desolation

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

The drop rate of keys has decreased- but one dropped for me last night (29 jan) off a trash mob.

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Never seen a key drop and Ive been playing since pre-release.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

1500h of playtime, still zero keys found from monster drops. Already farmed a legendary, so its not like I am not killing lots of stuff daily

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Seriosuly I do NOT know why you people don’t just farm keys like I do. 1 key for 30-40 mins work put in is FAR FAR FAR better than HOPING for a key from a mob drop…..

My farming method (enjoy):

1 – Make a set of “power” armour and weapon suitable for your fave class and bank it. Do NOT put any runes/sigils onto them or they will become soulbound.

2 – Make a new char, I recommend Human/Common Folk story. Any options after that is entirely up to you.

3 – Rush quests lvl 1-10 and you should complete the 5th quest (level 10 quest) at about level 4 (you hit 5 for beating this quest) and ta da you get a key.

4 – Use key on pile of chests in bank and then bank your reward.

5 – Sell all random loot from char and bank the cash.

6 – Delete and repeat process.

This entire process takes me roughly 30-40 mins solo and ALWAYS gets you one key. You can do this with a friend/s or guildies and the whole process will be MUCH faster. Make sure ALL party members choose Human of course and the Common Folk storyline so that the quests work for everyone and EVERYONE will get a key.

NOTE I have sent a support ticket to A-net asking if this would be considered an exploit to which I got the reply “no”.

Enjoy!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

haha, that is actually a very good idea if you are a person that actually likes that stuff that comes the chests. for me personally doing all that isn’t worth it, but that is a very good idea.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Oh I get repair canisters, guild point items and Black Lion Salvage kits often, trust me it’s worth it and can be fun! Oh and I even got a minipack once too.

Repair Canister – saves about 13 silver in repairs OR perfect for running fractals.
Black Lion Salvage Kits – Buy up cheap rares and salvage for ectos = make cash.
Guild Point Items – 15-300 points per item, great for small guilds for building upgrades up.
Minipet Packs – Fun!

Oh yeah and sometimes you get cashbags that can give a fair bit, I think once I got 80 silver from one. O.O

Try it, you just might like it.

Btw I don’t do it often as I do find it gets tedious, maybe when I’m bored and have just cleared a map and don’t feel like doing much and just want to “play the lottery” lol.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

I got one in Orr patch night from a mob. Other than that I have only received them from completing storyline.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast