Are Black Lion Keys removed from loot tables?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Because I’ve probably gone a month or two (of playing at least a few hours a day) and I haven’t seen a single key drop.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Smitty.7641

Smitty.7641

Been playing since release with 2 80’s now and I have never seen one from a random drop.

Posted by: Resdan.2359

Resdan.2359

I’ve gotten two in about two months. Either that or they magically appeared in my inventory with absolutely no warning.

Thief Engineer Guardian Warrior Elementalist
Kaineng
Self Proclaimed Greatest Man Alive

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

I’ve gotten two in about two months. Either that or they magically appeared in my inventory with absolutely no warning.

You probably got them as exploration rewards.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

They droped a lot at launch then they nerfed the drop table into the ground so much so that I farm almost everyday for at least an hour or 2 for months in cursed shore and haven’t got a key in a long long long time.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Got the odd one from completing something (can’t remember if was an event, daily or something else) but no drops. Got a couple when I open the chest as well.
As with dyes and the majority of loot, boss chests etc.—-they seem to have nerfed it all. Anything really good or useful to the profession being played seems to be far and few between.

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

I noticed that they’ve been removed as loot (or had their drop rate lowered to the extreme) as well. I was just thinking about this the other day. I’ve amassed a load of chests, but only get keys from mapping or boss chests – which is a change from the first month of the game, when I clearly remember getting a couple of keys as enemy loot.

Funny, because the chests themselves keep dropping. It’s almost as…as if… they’re trying to force me to buy gems! But Nexo – I mean ANet would never do such a thing to their customers!

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I only see them as an occasional daily or exploration reward.

They are already account bound, so I really don’t get why they’ve made them so hard to get in game from normal game play. I think getting people into the habit of opening chests and using the buffs would just encourage people to buy keys in the gem store. Right now, keys are so ultra rare and key prices in the gem store so expensive that most people just laugh/groan when they get a chest as a drop.

I really don’t think who ever is running the gem store has the background for the job. Better pricing and very frequent specials could really ignite gem store revenues.

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I can confirm that about a week ago I got 1 key from a random mob. I can’t remember if it was in a dungeon or not but I was definitely surprised. So, they aren’t removed from the loot table but I imagine they must have a pretty low drop rate. I understand that they probably shouldn’t be too common if there is to be any incentive to buy them from the store, as that is part of the intention of listing them there. That said, it’s not impossible to find them. Probably just, from what I’ve heard, a very rare drop.

Posted by: yarpen.1364

yarpen.1364

Got one in fractals from dredge mob today

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

They want us to buy them from the cash shop it’s why keys are always the top seller while we are flooded with BLC drops. But yeah keys SHOULD drop more than they do!!

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

One dropped for me around a week ago, random.

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

Never seen one drop yet in the many hours i’v played.
I got a few from story line but never a random mob drop.

Posted by: samrogan.9132

samrogan.9132

No they haven’t I got a drop today.

Posted by: Opsfor.2814

Opsfor.2814

I got a few of it dropped from mobs in my gw2 total play times. it’s Rare, or i should said, Legendary Drop! lol. probably like 0.00000001% ? or just like winning Powerball. lol. But you can find lots of keys in Gem Store! haha. * hint hint *

Posted by: Lrdrahl.6120

Lrdrahl.6120

Found one in Frostgorge last week,

First one Ive seen in 80+ hours /Casual player

Posted by: puffintoast.6501

puffintoast.6501

I noticed that they’ve been removed as loot (or had their drop rate lowered to the extreme) as well. I was just thinking about this the other day. I’ve amassed a load of chests, but only get keys from mapping or boss chests – which is a change from the first month of the game, when I clearly remember getting a couple of keys as enemy loot.

Funny, because the chests themselves keep dropping. It’s almost as…as if… they’re trying to force me to buy gems! But Nexo – I mean ANet would never do such a thing to their customers!

I giggled sardonically into my hand. If I were a Nexxie Fairy, I would give unto thee a shiny key.

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

I got one key on the Mad King dungeon, but hey i have 150 black lion chests on the bank.
I just hate it when im looting some monster and the only thing it gives me is a black lion chest, at least give some copper too.
Anyway when i get one stack of chests i will start to email the next chests to random people in LA.

[DIE] Death is Energy

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

The statistics are wacky tobacy because for 200hrs of gameplay I got 11 keys and 48 chests.

Don’t ask me how I managed this – I just play the game .

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Pochibella.8394

Pochibella.8394

I am seriously considering deleting my 100+ BL chests out of my bank. I will NEVER buy keys from the cash shop so they are just taking up space.

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

Everything that you can get from gems store with real money has been nerfed to oblivia in the drop tables for obvious reasons.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

How about making BLK’s a drop from killing champions. 1 out of every 5 or 7 killed.

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

The BLK´s will never drop from anything because they are making a lot of cash selling them at BLTC.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Tomkatt.1684

Tomkatt.1684

I found two keys this weekend on random bag drops in the human and asura/Sylvari zones while leveling a new alt, but these are the first keys I’ve seen in at least a week or two. They still drop, but it seems to be really rare.

Posted by: Oldbugga.7029

Oldbugga.7029

I sold all my chests…for a pittance…..refuse to buy keys as I have had none drop since about a month into the game.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I would sell my chests, but the few copper I would get for them isn’t worth the effort. Instead I will just open the chests, and then use all the junk inside all at once. Seriously, there is nothing in those chests worth buying keys for, it is all complete junk.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

I noticed that Ive always got a key from completing early personal story missions. If you wanted regular, albeit slow, keys rerolling low lvl alts might be the best way.

Posted by: Senik.6549

Senik.6549

I am seriously considering deleting my 100+ BL chests out of my bank. I will NEVER buy keys from the cash shop so they are just taking up space.

This. Unless you are an obsessive-compulsive min-maxer or collector, the contents of the chests are basically pointless. I can’t imagine why I’d ever want to spend gems on getting what’s inside.

It’s obvious that even the designers realize this, and tried to “fix” it in their favor with the weapon skins at halloween. Maybe this approach will continue to be a relief valve of sorts during each holiday event. It would be much nicer, however, if they’d just make the chests drop something that’s actually desirable for the average player.

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

I have gotten three since pre-release. Two from map exploration (I haven’t completed many maps to be honest) and one from personal storyline.

I didn’t even realize they were in loot tables until today. Thanks for the heads up.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

Posted by: Mercypsy.9602

Mercypsy.9602

I may have got five keys all together on my lvl 80 with 85% map exploration. Meanwhile I have over 100 chests in the bank. They’re just a nuisance. When I play with friends, getting a BL chest drop is something we joke about.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I got one off a random mob yesterday – so it’s still possible. That being said, since halloween I only found 3 keys, 1 for map completion and 2 as drops, so they’re very rare.

Saving up the keys for future events that might have some good stuff from chests. I sure as hell am not buying keys, so the few rare drops are my only chances

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I received 2 from map completion this week on main and alt (Plains of Ashford)
I also had 2 drop from mobs yesterday ay Sparkfly Fen (protecting lab event) and the other in Frostgorge Sound from a Troll.

Posted by: Zherran.4269

Zherran.4269

I have 380 Black Lion Chests in my bank. I have found 8 keys from mob drops and 4 keys from map completion in the 955 hours I have played. Gems prices are such that it costs nearly 2 gold to get 125 gems to purchase a Black Lion Key. I can buy an exotic weapon for 2 gold, but I am not guarenteed an exotic level item from one of these chests. I will never spend real money for gems and I might buy a key with silver if the prices drops to about 25s per key because that is all they are worth from my experience with these chests.

Posted by: Resdan.2359

Resdan.2359

You probably got them as exploration rewards.

Since you obviously missed it, the second sentence was sarcasm.

Thief Engineer Guardian Warrior Elementalist
Kaineng
Self Proclaimed Greatest Man Alive

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I had a dry spell for a couple of months, then outa nowhere, I’ve had 3 drop within the last week.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I got a BLT key drop this weekend.

@Zerran: exotic weapon for 2g? I was just lookin up scepters, staff, dagger… nothing that cheap, not even the bad exotics.

Posted by: TigerDragon.4037

TigerDragon.4037

In the beta weekend events, I got mystic keys as mob drops pretty frequently. Since launch, I haven’t seen a single black lion key drop from mobs. I’ve gotten every one of my keys as either map completion rewards, personal story rewards, or from opening black lion chests with keys obtained via one of the other two methods. I’ve seen a couple of people mention that they got a key from mob drops, but if that’s the case they are very lucky individuals (in my opinion.)

Sinking ships in WvW on SBI with pride.
Plastered Tyrian Sea Devils [PTSD]
Agadar.4931: A bad mesmer still poops clones like no tomorrow.

Posted by: AnemoneMeer.7182

AnemoneMeer.7182

I found one on my 80 mesmer from a level 7 wolf in queensdale.

I’d put their drop chance on par with getting a precursor.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

220 Chest and counting. No random drop keys. I have gotten 4-5 through finishing a daily or achievement or something.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Yes the RNG is definitly out of control…its CHAOTIC!

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Played over 1000 hours, not a single one dropped from monsters.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

They are more rare then the items in the chests unfortunately but they still drop… just not enough

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

One just dropped off a Veteran Wolf in WVW. I was stunned!

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

I would like to hear from the devs what they think about this? Is it a definitie the keys are a such a big seller?

Wouldn’t it be better to make the keys so much cheaper to buy if not drop more as it would be better getting 75 diamonds for a chest with people buying them up for maybe a hundred chests (instead of destroying them) rather than 250 per chest with people only buying a pack of 5?

Don’t they care its annoying to many of its player base and though maybe not a deciding issue to people like me who feel sickened at the greed of Anet its always at the back of my head when I feel annoyed at other elements of the game and I start thinking about upcoming MMOs.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Posted by: Gelltor.3015

Gelltor.3015

I get a fair few as I level alts up alot (one given for the level 10 story mission)

Posted by: Swystix.7459

Swystix.7459

800 hours or so on my char, I’ve found about 5 keys so far from mobs in cs farming, 100% certain they were from mobs not zone completion.

Posted by: bel unbreakable.7145

bel unbreakable.7145

im just a little shy of 900 hours played and only ever had 1 drop that wasint from a story reward or from opening a chest
in cb2 i had 11 keys just in that 1 weekend it would be better if they used the same formula they used in gw1

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Been playing since it released and I’ve never seen one drop. Only time I get one is from the personal story reward.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Same as creeper: Been playing since day one and never saw a key drop.

The least they could do is allow you to salvage the chest for lumber.

Posted by: Zherran.4269

Zherran.4269

@ Mulch: About 8 pages of weapons that are below 2g.

Also, it is now 1gold/50gems * 125 gems/key = 2.50 gold per key

Nothing in those chests are worth 2.5 gold per random chance, even during the holiday IMO.