Are all of the games players so crude?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Brian Ponder.9017

Brian Ponder.9017

Today is my second day playing. First day I played, I made 3 new friends and was having a great time.

15 minutes ago, I was told to kill myself so somebody could kitten my children (Not that I have any) because I voiced my opinion on the HoT debate.

GM Sparrow (Guild Wars 2 Support)
Jun 17, 08:19
Hello Brian,
We apologize for any frustration our pre-purchase may have caused.
Unfortunately there’s nothing we can do at the moment, since the the Standard Edition of the Heart of Thorns Expansion comes with a free Guild Wars 2 Core game for those who do not already own Guild Wars 2. There will not be an available expansion version released that does not include the Core game for a lower price.
We can only suggest you to try to get a refund for your purchase and re-purchase the game trough buy.guildwars2.com.
Regards,
GM Sparrow

+

Hi Brian,
I understand that it can be frustrating when a new item becomes available on the store site that may offer additional/different items. However, Every Edition of the Heart of Thorns Expansion comes with a free Guild Wars 2 Core game for those who do not already own Guild Wars 2. The retail price of the expansion is $49.99. If you decide you’d like to have access to this content when it goes live, please consider purchasing this item in the future.
I apologize for any frustration this may have caused you. If you have any other questions, please let us know.
Regards,
GM Eddy P

But all that aside, day one, I had a great time and when I found out about it, they said to email support because they, and others, had been given discounts or even refunds for buying the game that WEEK, let alone that day, so I emailed support and got the emails above.

Today, A new player asked about it dropping in price and other players were citing “reddit” as a source of information, saying a GM posted there saying that anybody who got the game recently would get either a full package or a large discount depending on the time owning the game. I cited the reply email from sparrow above, and was barraged with insults:

“kittening troll”
“Get out, Nobody wants you”
“Leave then, nobody will care if you’re gone”
“Kill yourself”
“Cancer like you needs to just get out of our game spreading rumors”

So, my question is, ALL of the HoT junk aside…are most of the players like ^ that?

Or is that kind of a “Freak accident” kind of situation?

Everything else aside, I’m loving the gameplay, hope to see you around and have fun.

Ps. Friendly reminder: If a new player isn’t sure about something, don’t beat them down and verbally abuse them for it. Just because you’ve been playing for 2 years doesn’t mean EVERYBODY knows or understands.

Pss. Also, it’s fine to disagree with somebody on the HoT’s Debate, but just because you disagree doesn’t give you the right to be rude and insult them. Keep that in mind.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Most people are not like that in game most of the time. Unfortunately HoT is indeed a hot topic right now with a lot of people becoming, in my opinion, a little too angry over it. There are people that are just unhappy with the way HoT was pre-released and express their displeasure in a mature and constructive manner and then there are people that just want to scream at anyone and everyone about it.

Let it go and just ignore the people that can’t express their displeasure in a mature manner. In a while it will all subside.

Welcome to the game and happy adventuring.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Brian Ponder.9017

Brian Ponder.9017

Thank god.

I mean, I myself am one of the people who display a bit of…dislike of the way new players (Myself included, but there are plenty others whom I feel for, as I generally have little money and making the most of what I have is the reason WHY I bought a lengthy game like an MMO…) are getting stabbed for the game twice, or in my case, I’d be paying $100 for the expansion pack and game with none of the legendary pre-purchase goodies, but sometimes if I just TALK about it, people go into full on rampage mode and it’s…kind of offputting.

Thanks for letting me know that it’s not the majority that’s like that though, that’s a HUGE relief.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

That’s pretty upsetting. Of course you’re gonna have cat-holes out there, and this is an MMO after all, but that’s pretty low even for a mad GW2 community.

People are pretty ticked right now (myself included), because the amount of content we’re getting, and what’s in it within HoT seems like a few necessary updates better-fit to feature patches and general updates than an expansion. Spending that much money for what is so little content (that we know of so far) that feels like necessary implementations that should have been here from the beginning is pretty insulting to the players who’ve been here for a little while or may not qualify for any kind of refunds.

Posted by: Pickles.9436

Pickles.9436

You just met the people who are so up in arms at the moment that if an ant headed towards them, they’d nuke it from orbit.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

Probably just people fired up over the HoT’s pre-purchase. Hopefully things will calm down in the coming weeks and players will be more friendly toward you.

Support for this game is completely random in my experience. They might give one player a refund and another nothing for the same issue, or they might change their policy on an issue suddenly.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Guild wars 2 has one of the best pve mmorpg communities. PvP is pretty terrible, but that is likely due to the displeasure of PvPers being largely neglected since the launch of the game, all the while Anet keeps chanting “Esports! Esports! Esports!”.

In all seriousness though, the GW2 community is pretty great.

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

Welcome to the internet, my friend

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Sorry, Brian. Most of us are not like that. I’m definitely not like that. If someone says they’re going to kitten me, I just laugh and say, “You wish.”

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Congratulations on picking pretty much the worst moment in GW2 history to experience this game and the currently deeply divided users.

I would recommend to try support again, or researching the refund avenue.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Derez.6510

Derez.6510

Wait it you get in a dungeon or a heated pvp game with someone who thinks they are gods gift to Guild Wars.

You just have to brush it off and get away from elitist loud mouths. It’s a big game… there is room for everyone… even kitten-holes.

Posted by: Greymelken.1892

Greymelken.1892

This anger is a testament of how great GW2 is, and how great everyone knows HoT will be. These are not unlike fiends eagerly awaiting their next hit, contriving all kinds of reasons the world that revolves around them is out to get them because they need that fix right now.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Welcome to Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

We can’t categorically say whether or not “all” or “any” of the people are like that. The game community is a small section of humanity and like humanity it will have a lot of different people.

I can however say eff those mfers for being so rude and that if you want someone to hang with who isn’t a mfer then feel free to hit me up anytime.

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.

Posted by: anx.7549

anx.7549

Welcome to the game Brian. I truly hope you stick with the game as it really is wonderful.

Anx

Posted by: bain of man.6857

bain of man.6857

yeah that is definitely a minority of the player base that act like that, mostly gws has a great and friendly community (minus dungeons, those are littered with know it alls) so welcome to the game and happy hunting XD

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

It is unfortunate to experience such things, especially when you are new. Unfortunately it is a by product of anonymity.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Well, look at it this way, at least this isn’t the World of Tanks community. Those people make the people OP met today look like saints.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: TheDuck.4526

TheDuck.4526

Wow. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. In all my time playing GW2, I’ve never experienced that level of vitriol. I hope you never have to again. Good on you for looking more deeply into the matter. The HoT pricing really has some of the worst people coming out of the woodwork.

You seem like a pretty cool dude. The ‘good’ part of the community is composed of people like you. Please stay and keep it that way

Posted by: innocens.1582

innocens.1582

Most of the players are friendly is my experience.

A few sometimes go balistic when things dont go the way they want.
That comes with being anonymous sitting behind your pc.

ps: i would have reported the guy with the cancer remark.

a man who doesnt make mistakes doesnt do anything

(edited by innocens.1582)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Anonymity causes a lot of people to act and speak without restraint, so you’ll encounter this kind of attitude a lot in situations where tempers are already raised (PvP, WvW, arguments, boredom).

Welcome to the internet, it’s a wonderful and terrible place to be.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This was a thread on the official forums? If so, “kill yourself” and “cancer like you” are violations of forum policy. The flag icon in the lower right of the posts allows you to report the poster, and a Moderator reviews the post. If the moderator agrees that the post is in violation, they generally remove the post and give the violator an infraction — multiple of which can lead to restrictions on posting.

If these insults were on Reddit… I’m not out to insult that community, but I don’t believe posters there are held to the same standards as posters here.

Unfortunately, there are bad apples in every barrel, but these individuals do not make up the entirety of this community. In addition, emotions are high right now over the HoT issue.

Fwiw, I’m sorry you were disadvantaged by the timing of your purchase. Personally, I believe ANet could have been more forthcoming with their plans. Failing that, they could be more understanding with those who have been blindsided by the sudden inclusion of the core game with the expansion when the prior info led one to believe that purchase of the core game and expac would be separate.

Posted by: olddog.7469

olddog.7469

Unfortunately there are a lot of entitled gamers out there today OP. Because garbage eastern grind mmo’s are “free” LOL, they think a quality game like GW2 must be free as well.

Even thought HoT will cost you around a nickel a day to play for hours on end…its an outrage don’t you know? smh

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

You just met the people who are so up in arms at the moment that if an ant headed towards them, they’d nuke it from orbit.

Best comment in ages. Made me laugh out loud in office, luckily nobody was around.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

You just happened upon a nest of trolls. Truly, the community overall is very nice. I think today is just a bad day for some. The forums today point out why.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

First, welcome to Tyria, Brian. I hope you can ignore such behavior, as it isn’t really representative, in my opinion, of the playerbase (in-game, at least).

Second, I urge you to post your ticket number in the Sticky found in the Account/Tech Support sub-forum, ‘Tickets for Review’. Your ticket will be looked at by Michael H., CS Team Lead, who posted the statement on Reddit about taking care of those that recently purchased the core game. You may find a different outcome.

Good luck. =)

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I assure you and promise you that the vast majority of players are NOT like that. The ones you got nailed by are the ones that have the delusion there being scammed by anet and have already decided that this is the case regardless of proof. Your message ended up being evidence against set delusions. Which since they CAN"T believe that they are wrong they are convinced that not only are YOU wrong but your doing it on purpose. Its a delusion leading to more delusions in order to fit there view of reality.

Im very sorry you got caught in that so early in your life in Gw2. I hope your experiences from this point on are pleasent. All trolls aside. This is probably the best time to join Gw2 with some of the biggest rebalancing changes in the game occuring in less than a week.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

No this is only a cluttered vocal minority (mosty juveniles) , who are always busy with complaining about everything instead of playing the game. not even 1 percent of the player base. And its not reserved for only gw. Watched the E3 nintendo twitch this weekend, the chat was a nightmare.

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

Today is my second day playing. First day I played, I made 3 new friends and was having a great time.

15 minutes ago, I was told to kill myself so somebody could kitten my children (Not that I have any) because I voiced my opinion on the HoT debate.

GM Sparrow (Guild Wars 2 Support)
Jun 17, 08:19
Hello Brian,
We apologize for any frustration our pre-purchase may have caused.
Unfortunately there’s nothing we can do at the moment, since the the Standard Edition of the Heart of Thorns Expansion comes with a free Guild Wars 2 Core game for those who do not already own Guild Wars 2. There will not be an available expansion version released that does not include the Core game for a lower price.
We can only suggest you to try to get a refund for your purchase and re-purchase the game trough buy.guildwars2.com.
Regards,
GM Sparrow

+

Hi Brian,
I understand that it can be frustrating when a new item becomes available on the store site that may offer additional/different items. However, Every Edition of the Heart of Thorns Expansion comes with a free Guild Wars 2 Core game for those who do not already own Guild Wars 2. The retail price of the expansion is $49.99. If you decide you’d like to have access to this content when it goes live, please consider purchasing this item in the future.
I apologize for any frustration this may have caused you. If you have any other questions, please let us know.
Regards,
GM Eddy P

But all that aside, day one, I had a great time and when I found out about it, they said to email support because they, and others, had been given discounts or even refunds for buying the game that WEEK, let alone that day, so I emailed support and got the emails above.

Today, A new player asked about it dropping in price and other players were citing “reddit” as a source of information, saying a GM posted there saying that anybody who got the game recently would get either a full package or a large discount depending on the time owning the game. I cited the reply email from sparrow above, and was barraged with insults:

“kittening troll”
“Get out, Nobody wants you”
“Leave then, nobody will care if you’re gone”
“Kill yourself”
“Cancer like you needs to just get out of our game spreading rumors”

So, my question is, ALL of the HoT junk aside…are most of the players like ^ that?

Or is that kind of a “Freak accident” kind of situation?

Everything else aside, I’m loving the gameplay, hope to see you around and have fun.

Ps. Friendly reminder: If a new player isn’t sure about something, don’t beat them down and verbally abuse them for it. Just because you’ve been playing for 2 years doesn’t mean EVERYBODY knows or understands.

Pss. Also, it’s fine to disagree with somebody on the HoT’s Debate, but just because you disagree doesn’t give you the right to be rude and insult them. Keep that in mind.

Every time something like this happens that the vocal minority don’t like, they throw tantrums and act like massive jerks to anyone and everyone that disagrees.
Don’t worry, we aren’t all like that.

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

Thank god.

I mean, I myself am one of the people who display a bit of…dislike of the way new players (Myself included, but there are plenty others whom I feel for, as I generally have little money and making the most of what I have is the reason WHY I bought a lengthy game like an MMO…) are getting stabbed for the game twice, or in my case, I’d be paying $100 for the expansion pack and game with none of the legendary pre-purchase goodies, but sometimes if I just TALK about it, people go into full on rampage mode and it’s…kind of offputting.

Thanks for letting me know that it’s not the majority that’s like that though, that’s a HUGE relief.

Outrage fuels outrage. Look at any issue that went public in the world and you’ll see that overreacting is actually quite normal. For reference: Coca Cola Scare or the more recent MH371 Debacle

The only way to stop it from spreading is for ANet to exercise good communication with the public. They would also need to find a way to remedy the issue either with reasonable counter-argument, or admitting a mistake. I think in this case they would need to admit a mistake and seek to rectify it as soon as possible.

Outrage will die down eventually, but it usually fuels very fast within the first few days of the issue going public. The problem is if ANet doesn’t respond to the outrage before it dies down they will potentially lose a not significant amount of players and their reputation will be tarnished for a long period of time most likely affecting launch sales of the expansion.

What the unfortunate OP has experienced is simply outrage, people want outlet for their feelings and find anything to latch onto.

(edited by Chobiko.9182)

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

That kind of thing happens from time to time, but in my experience it isn’t common.

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

It’s funny you mention that, since I am very much looking forward to being able to literally nuke ants from orbit with my Engineer once the next update drops. (Orbital lasers for the win!)

That said, OP, welcome to the game, and if I were you, I’d pretend the HoT price is like religion and politics as a topic that is best not brought up. People are VERY riled up right now.

Even WITH that, as a whole, Gw2 probably has one of the most open and relatively friendly communities of any online game I’ve played. I’ve met plenty of friendly and helpful players that would take the time to teach me things or even sometimes share items and such. Like one time I was trying to complete a certain jumping puzzle so I could get an item from it to craft a special backpiece (Mawdrey) but I couldn’t find the entrance; so I asked on map chat and got several offers from people to show me to the location, and the person who helped me out even went through the lab with me to show me the path through it.

Especially compared with notoriously toxic communities like the ones surrounding several MOBA and FPS games that will not be named.

The fighting game community on the other hand is strangely pretty friendly for something so competitive, now that I think of it.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Don’t let it worry you, Brian…..and welcome to the game!
There are some people who are really mad about the expansion coming out…..just ignore them and have fun.
Heck, the other night when I was on, all my fellow guildmates that were on bought the expansion without batting an eyelash. And not a single complaint from anyone. I bought the std expansion pack, but most of my guildmates bought the more deluxe versions.
The anger will all blow over in a couple weeks or so…..

Have fun and enjoy!

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

OP, welcome to the game. Not everyone is like the toxifiers who have been floating around recently on the forums. Just keep doing what is fun for you and ignore the peanut gallery…..

Overall this is a really great gaming community. Right now, in-game, I have not encountered anyone who has been off their nut and screaming about what is going on. People are discussing it pretty sanely but overall those in-game are playing and farming etc. and doing what they have done all along. Some of us have put out our opinions and solutions about the issue and are now going about our business. In real life we often see a mob mentality and that is pretty much what is going on here.

I do think there is a legitimate issue with how the expansion was put out and I have seen quite a few fairly good suggestions on how to ameliorate the issues. Unfortunately a lot of those suggestions have been buried by all the vitrol and angst. It is ok to vent and say why you are unhappy with something but at least offer some solutions to the problem and I see very little of that in the bulk of the posts. The name calling and attacks on people as well as Anet are truly pathetic. Sadly there will always be folk who love drama piled on drama. I only thing I have to say to the rage quitters is, “Can I has your stuffs?”

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Welcome to the game.

Just as in life some folks are pleasant and some aren’t. I’ve found most to be nice enough, those that really get on my nerves I just set to ignore. (Right click their name in chat to do so.)

My experience has been that once I settled in and found a couple of good Guilds composed of like minded players my attention focused on guild chat and my noticing of map and say chat diminished greatly, making them less of an issue for me.

Cheers, hope you have fun playing the game.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

No, most players aren’t like that. A lot are just disappointed because from the vet point of view Anet hasn’t been taking care of them very well lately, and this latest incident just brings all that frustration to a head. In their heart of hearts Anet KNEW that not having an upgrade only version and including a characters slot would create an uproar! That kinda makes me think it was intentional, was it though? I don’t know.

(edited by CMM.6712)