Are macros forbidden?

Are macros forbidden?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lucius.1578

Lucius.1578

Q:

As the title states I want to know if the use of macros is completely forbidden. I want to record macros to play music with the “toy instruments” that the game offers via gem shop. Thanks in advance.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
Crystal Desert – Human Guardian
Equinox Solstice [TIME]

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

A:

I would like anet to comment on this.

They won’t. They have already answered this question and it was a vague answer at best.

Is it forbidden? The rules they have made state yes. Are you going to get banned for using it to time your instrument playing better? I highly doubt it.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Well, the rule is one button press = one action, so I’d assume so.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

As long as the macro is one key pressed per action is the way I understand it.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Lucius.1578

Lucius.1578

I appreciate the answers. I would like anet to comment on this. I’m hoping that rule doesn’t apply to instruments.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
Crystal Desert – Human Guardian
Equinox Solstice [TIME]

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are some Dev responses in this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Using-autohotkey-for-playing-instruments/page/2#post4069325

Not sure how vague they are….

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

As long as the macro is one key pressed per action is the way I understand it.

That’s called a key binding.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

You can set a macro to push one button repeatedly to execute a skill rotation a certain way, easier on one’s fingers. Like bind “c” to activate skills 1,2,3,4 in that order, etc. That is allowed

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

You can set a macro to push one button repeatedly to execite a skill rotation a certain way, easier on one’s fingers. Like bind “c” to activate skills 1,2,3,4 in that order, etc. That is allowed

I’m pretty sure that falls under “automation”.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

You can set a macro to push one button repeatedly to execute a skill rotation a certain way, easier on one’s fingers. Like bind “c” to activate skills 1,2,3,4 in that order, etc. That is allowed

This isn’t allowed. To quote from the link just above:

“Using AutoHotKey to map multiple key functions to a single keypress, regardless of the intended use or outcome, is a violation of the above rule.”

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Slightly off-topic but would the macro to use both the dodge and the jump together to produce the ‘Dodge Roll’ be a no go as it is still only one action, but is one that requires two button used in concert/close sequence.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Slightly off-topic but would the macro to use both the dodge and the jump together to produce the ‘Dodge Roll’ be a no go as it is still only one action, but is one that requires two button used in concert/close sequence.

No because that would be automation. Use at your own risk, violators of this rule tend to be banned. I personally would not touch that one with a ten foot pole. It would give you advantage in WvW and PvP against other players who do not use the macro.

@Lucius: ANet will only give you the words out of the TOS which says no third party mods or macros.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

As the title states I want to know if the use of macros is completely forbidden. I want to record macros to play music with the “toy instruments” that the game offers via gem shop. Thanks in advance.

YES – macros are forbidden. If you want to get a permaban, go right ahead.

Read the FAQ – it states it in no uncertain terms. The rules state one macro key – one key only.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Link Legacy.9278

Link Legacy.9278

How about a macro that presses the left mouse button multiple times? Opening stacks of champ bags and consuming stacks of essence goes by so much faster and not really affecting gameplay.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Sorry I didn’t word it well. Let me try again.

Binding “C” to activate the skill slot 1, then you push C again to activate skill slot 2, then again for 3, etc. It is ONE action per keystroke, just binded to the same key. A friend does this, and has asked a developer if this is okay, and was given the green light about it. He hasn’t been banned after over a year of its use.

How about a macro that presses the left mouse button multiple times? Opening stacks of champ bags and consuming stacks of essence goes by so much faster and not really affecting gameplay.

This is bannable, as you’re wanting to have one click, or a double click, count for up to 500 clicks.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

“Using AutoHotKey to map multiple key functions to a single keypress, regardless of the intended use or outcome, is a violation of the above rule.”

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: Link Legacy.9278

Link Legacy.9278

Oh ok, thx for clearing that up for me. Ive always wondered and now I know.

Are macros forbidden?

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

Learn to play