Are megaservers killing the game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

I’ve seen exponentially more chatter in the maps of Gendarran now that they’re looking for other games to play because of megaservers, so I figured I’d get some opinions from others.

Personally, I don’t plan on leaving, but I do plan on significantly reducing money spent on the game because I really, really dislike the direction it’s now going.

-[edit]-
Let me expand on my own opinion:

I am the kind of player who prefers to play on cross-server guilds so I can separate where I spend my time. Either with my server in Vigil Keep/Lion’s Arch, or with my guild by guesting. Now that everything’s been mixed together (rather poorly, but that’s just my opinion) I’m having a hard time staying interested because I’m not being thrown in with the people I /want/ to talk to when I want to talk to them.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

(edited by Sawnic.6795)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Something is always ‘killing the game.’

Then
It was non-account bound dyes
It was cosmetic items in the gem store
It was lack of mounts in the game
It was empty mid-level maps
etc…

Now
It’s account bound dyes
It’s the ‘money grabbing’ wardrobe
It’s the megaservers and overpopulated maps
etc…

They just can’t win

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: SRG.3607

SRG.3607

Same. More people in the maps, but a real mess everywhere. Nothing can be organized. We just tryed Tequatl, a huge mess with a mal full (no one can join by grouping) but nearly nobody on the event (> lot of players just exploring the map). Mega(server (or “mega-overflow”, rather) is really poorly implemented.

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

In short, yes.

If you’re looking for a detailed how and why, you can find my thoughts in the Megaserver feedback thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feedback-Questions-MegaServer/page/23#post3942169

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

On the other hand, we had every month “the GUY” who is saying the game is dead because he’s blind and don’t see anyone on his map.
Tell me who Anet is listening.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Sorry Lanfear but this patch is not the same as same old complaints that the sky is falling.
I agree there has been oodles of those since the game launched.

This patch though?

It destroyed so much, just this once I agree that the feeling in game is pretty much the same as on the forum.
Megaserver is a fail for everyone I know

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I wonder how many times GW2 have been killed now.

Hating MegaServer is the “cool thing” right now. Just wait a few weeks and most people will have calmed down and will keep playing as usual, until the next thing to hate comes along (probably the lack of new LS or something like that).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Skeletonwitch.3280

Skeletonwitch.3280

Killed it for me.

I’m not hating megaserver because it’s “cool”. I hate it because it has ruined the game for me.

:Team Skritt:

Megaserver kittening kittens! :-(

Posted by: Mr Quikeh.5461

Mr Quikeh.5461

Nope, actually improved my playing experience

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

no the megaservers are helping the game in my opinion, gives it a lively feeling.

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Killing communities is the quickest way to kill off a game, so yeah Megaservers will kill the game if not fixed or removed.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

The game has become slightly more confusing but people will get used to it eventually.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

I don’t know, there’s something immensely entertaining about ~20 players defending a vigil engineer during a toxic offshoot by forming a line in from of him and only using bows to take out the charging enemies. It’s the kind of thing I “dream” of when I envision cooperative MMO play. That never happened pre-megaserver.

I’ve seen nothing wrong in the slightest with the megaserver system. There are more people on maps, more guild invites and more idle chatter. Some of these may not be to any one person’s personal liking, but there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with them.

As far as I’m aware (and I may very well be mistaken), Ferguson’s Crossing has yet to beat Tequatl. Maybe now the megaserver implementation will give us the needed edge to do just that.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Most of the people I know quit when this patch went live. I have been trying out PvP but I don’t like the toxic PvP “community” this game has either. I will be leaving very soon if mega servers are not removed.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

For 10% of the servers, the megaservers insert a degree of inconvenience.

For 90% of the servers, the megaservers vastly improve the game in every way.

So no, megaservers are not killing the game.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: chrissoon.6513

chrissoon.6513

I agree with Morrigan on this – there have been lots of whining before with doom and gloom, but this is quite something else.

Once communities begin vanishing, there’s likely going to be a huge flux of players leaving. Of course if you have lots of new players coming in, then that’s alright (for the game to be hopefully profitable).

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Most of the people I know quit when this patch went live. I have been trying out PvP but I don’t like the toxic PvP “community” this game has either. I will be leaving very soon if mega servers are not removed.

I seems to recall those people quitting after more or less every single update.
But I might confuse you with someone else.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

I’ve seen exponentially more chatter in the maps of Gendarran now that they’re looking for other games to play because of megaservers, so I figured I’d get some opinions from others.

Personally, I don’t plan on leaving, but I do plan on significantly reducing money spent on the game because I really, really dislike the direction it’s now going.

Seriously title? I’d say megaserver had bring people together some how. Now you can see people everywhere even in low maps. People are complaining that servers are empty and this is a good solution imo. Megaserver has some glitch but im sure it will improve so it’s far from destroying the game. Even TTS still managed to organized to do mega bosses.

Posted by: Skeletonwitch.3280

Skeletonwitch.3280

As far as I’m aware (and I may very well be mistaken), Ferguson’s Crossing has yet to beat Tequatl. Maybe now the megaserver implementation will give us the needed edge to do just that.

There IS no Ferguson’s Crossing anymore. It won’t be FC beating him, maybe a handful from FC, but nothing more. Server names and communities are a thing of the past.

:Team Skritt:

Megaserver kittening kittens! :-(

Blair.3796

Hating MegaServer is the “cool thing” right now. Just wait a few weeks and most people will have calmed down and will keep playing as usual, until the next thing to hate comes along (probably the lack of new LS or something like that).

People will only hate the lack of a LS until there actually is a new LS. Then people will switch to hating the new LS.

Hate threads and pity parties are all just popular fads. It’s like you said, eventually hating the megaservers won’t be “cool” anymore.

I can think of a few ways in which megaservers could potentially help the game. I can’t think of any ways in which they actively hurt it.

As an aside, why do people think that megaservers are killing the “communities?” We’ve all got guilds and friend lists, so I at least have yet to run into problems communicating with old acquaintances. And post-update I’ve met a ton of new people thanks to maps actually having a significant player population.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Quite the opposite. Since Megaservers were implemented 4 more US servers and 1 EU server tipped over from High to Very High. With China launching next week, you can expect millions more players.

In the words of the immortal Logan Thackery, “It’s not dead yet. Brace yourselves, I think it’s going to explode!”

Morrigan.2809

While I don’t disagree with there always being a cool thing to hate….

Megaserver is right up there with Ascended imo- I could ignore Ascended because why not?
Unfortunately Megaserver is in my face all the time.

I miss my friends, I miss my lovely community and I do not want to put up with the crawling people everywhere.

Add to that the trolls and the map chat that now resembles an online dating service/ hate spam.

yeah

I don’t think it will grow on me or just pass by.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

I have literally noticed no difference at all. There were people to play with when I wanted to before, and there still are. I still play the game in the exact same way, only now I look bad-kitten . I’d say it’s a net improvement.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Sorry Lanfear but this patch is not the same as same old complaints that the sky is falling.

This patch though?

It destroyed so much, just this once I agree that the feeling in game is pretty much the same as on the forum.

I won’t argue that the implementation needs work, and that in some instances you’re right, it did fail. However, it did not fail in all cases.

Now that it’s out there, it just needs some… tweaking. And they sure have a very large kitten filled feedback thread to sift through to help with that tweaking.

It’s not the end of the world though. We felt / thought the same of overflows at the beginning, and the bugs that existed then that kept us from being able to play with our friends and guildmates. They fixed those, they just have to fix things here. Honestly, I think their aggregate just isn’t working properly and with some fine tuning, we should see things turn around.

Yes, they seem to have overlooked the language issue, that sort of made me shake my head. To me that should have been something that required some rigorous testing, but hey that’s just me, I guess. Maybe the system was supposed to do ‘x’ but instead did ‘y,’ and the faster fix was to implement filtering. Who knows. I’d love to actually look at their code though, and poke at these things myself.

Personally, I’m trying not to let things take their course for a few weeks before I get too persnickety. The only place that I’ve personally had any issue with the megaservers is in the pvp lobby, I miss the quiet there. Beyond that, it’s just the occasional lag because more people are doing the events that I’m doing. (I still jump out of my skin when I run into other people, it’s disconcerting!)

Posted by: Heras Death.9864

Heras Death.9864

it definitely killed it for me. It feels like no one knows each other, entire game besides your guild is one giant mindless/ careless zerg. Seriously anet….

Posted by: pixiedancer.1526

pixiedancer.1526

If they disabled it in major cities and world boss areas, did something about guild missions being trolled, added tags to help sort you for what you’re after RP, Farming, Language etc then I’d be all for it.

As it stands, the patch seems like a giant middle finger to well established communities, at least if they posted and said “Sorry guys, nothings changing.” I could go elsewhere. Personally, it feels like they’re pulling an SWG NGE (a massive patch that aimed to grab more new players than the old it would drive off. It didn’t work.) and getting the game ready for the asian market… I’ll keep wearing my tinfoil hat though until issues are adressed.

I REALLY, REALLY don’t want to find another MMO I was seriously enjoying GW2 until these changes. :/

(edited by pixiedancer.1526)

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

I don’t know, there’s something immensely entertaining about ~20 players defending a vigil engineer during a toxic offshoot by forming a line in from of him and only using bows to take out the charging enemies. It’s the kind of thing I “dream” of when I envision cooperative MMO play. That never happened pre-megaserver.

I’ve seen nothing wrong in the slightest with the megaserver system. There are more people on maps, more guild invites and more idle chatter. Some of these may not be to any one person’s personal liking, but there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with them.

People don’t realize that megaserver had improve the game. I think most of the whiners had mistakenly thought that Gw2 is a single player game.

Posted by: Dragonic Elemental.2674

Dragonic Elemental.2674

Nope, love it! More people = more fun, and when I want to play with my friends, I always can! I don’t see your problem. Maybe with big guilds, not everyone can join? Just socialize with people you don’t know.

May the Six watch over us. And come back to Tyria soon.

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

My experience has drastically improved. I no longer have to call out champs in /map and hope people show up for it.
In fact, I’ve only had to call out one champ since the megaserver hit, and there were people there within seconds.
I wasn’t a fan of how dead all the zones seemed, and now they’re just right for me.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

So far I am liking the mega server. I like that more people are out in the zones that were once pretty much empty. I like that champs that once were not being taken are now being taken. My experience thus far has been that people are more social than before the patch (although that might well be just that there are more people around period).

All of that said, there are some things that will need adjustment, such as how the mega server affects guild missions. As others have pointed out, it impact some of the larger events. I suspect (am cautiously optimistic) that over the next few months there will be some tweaks here and there. For me, though, I am happy with the state of things given the amount of elapsed time since the patch was released.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If they disabled it in major cities and world boss areas, did something about guild missions being trolled, added tags to help sort you for what you’re after RP, Farming, Language etc then I’d be all for it.

I’ve been fine with megaservers so far (events actually getting run, unified boss timers, etc), but yeah, the system definitely needs tweaks and priority tags in the party/friend menu for grouping.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

I’m not sure I’ve decided that I’m leaving, as of yet, but I do know that this is the worst change they could have possibly made to the game for me personally.

I generally see people falling into two categories here:

1) Those who didn’t have permanent communities before that they felt they belonged to like the change. They didn’t lose anything in this patch because there were no permanent communities that they belonged to that were destroyed. They like the fact that they can play the game with randoms more easily, and they still never have to form a permanent community since every relationship they form in game is gone when they zone.

2) Those who were part of permanent communities that were destroyed with this change. In the spirit of fostering these new “quick and easy” relationships, permanent relationships are very hard to maintain in game. For them the whole reason why they stuck with the game was because of the communities that they were a part of. They normality of seeing the same people, and getting to know them on a deeper level was what kept them in game.

So while the first group is happy because their style of quick and easy relationships has been enhanced, those of us that actually have deep connections with people have been hit hard. I’m not saying one type of gameplay is more valid than the other, but those people that were in the later group have lost any real reason to continue to play this game. And ultimately I feel it was those people that held this game together. Those are usually the people that play more often, and are less likely to play for a month and then decide they really only wanted a “quick and easy” relationship with Guild Wars 2.

So my opinion is this really could have been the move that ArenaNet makes that is remembered as their drowning move. Communities are at the heart of MMOs and they are what make people stay. Anet basically took their greatest asset and destroyed it in the sake of saving some money on server power (and/or beta testing for China).

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Megaservers aren’t killing the game. And the people that will leave over that are far fewer than the people who left over ascended gear last November.

Very few people wanted or asked for ascended gear. Many want to see people in the world when they adventure.

Are there issues to be worked out with the megaserver? Sure there are.

And they’ll be worked out. Honestly people need to grow some patience.

Posted by: AysonCurrax.3254

AysonCurrax.3254

killed or atleast heavily crippled my community, thats for sure. Doesnt seem like they care much, either though. I am just waiting for their usual pat-self-on-shoulder move on social media along with trying to lure new players to the game with 50% sales or whatever. There has been silence for a week, and the “fixes” that came only added further chaos. Not sure if they have a clue where they are stearing this ship at this point.

How in the world did it heavily cripple your community? Please explain, or are you just complaining because you like complaining?

we did daily tequatl/wurm kills all organized over teamspeak, sometimes even with up to 200 people resulting in 2 kills on 2 different servers via guesting. also, weekly guild missions with 30-40 players.
Now we cant even get our players on the same map anymore.
that isnt the only problem though. we are a german community. now we get mixed together with people from spanish, english and french worlds, people we cant even communicate with due to the filter. It makes organisation with those players impossible.
It killed the entire feeling of homeworld identity by doing so.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

This patch though?

So what makes this complaint any more valid? Is it because YOU and a group of other players dislike it and now it’s suddenly the RIGHT thing to complain about? Is your complaint suddenly SUPERIOR to the complaints of the other group?

SAB “destroyed so much”

Ascended gear “destroyed so much”.

Teq revamped “destroyed so much”

Champion loot buffs “destroyed so much”

They were all “a fail for everyone” if the forums were to be believed.

I’m sorry, but I am seeing NOTHING new in these complaints.
Nothing will please every one, it just sounds like this is your first time being on the other end of a change.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

Blair.3796

People don’t realize that megaserver had improve the game. I think most of the whiners had mistakenly thought that Gw2 is a single player game.

Exactly. I have a guild mate, of all people (who’s one of my best friends IRL) who gets legitimately frustrated whenever he runs into more than one or two people on a map. Just two days ago I asked him something along the lines of, “You’re playing an MMO, a massive multiplayer game, so aren’t you supposed to at least run into other people, if not play with them?” He said, quote: “No.”

Really. This isn’t Skyrim. And I for one am sick and tired of a chat channel filled with nothing but repetitive NPC chatter.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

I seems to recall those people quitting after more or less every single update.
But I might confuse you with someone else.

You aren’t my dear friend, you aren’t. He apparently forgets how his friends already left a dozen of updates ago but well, I suppose he is a good guy for remembering their memory.

Regarding the thread: once upon a time there was a game called WoW that everyone hated on whatever Blizzard did. Today GW2 is taking its place. The reason other MMOs haven’t and can’t do it, is becasue most already have too low of a population to complain about. With time you will understand that opening threads about the game dying with every single update-release mean nothing but being in the same boat as the people who hated on WoW for 10 whole years, gl with your journey I guess and make sure to check your post history to not end up like your other fellow player, telling us how your friends are leaving now when you already stated everyone have left with the update 6 months ago.

Mega-server have its flawas, yes…but I, mysteriously, happened to always play with friends on the same map, I always enjoyed the active zone chat with people talking and joking and have quite mysteriously, once again gotten many friends from new servers, I guess it is a miracle since GW2 only have whats negative…how can such a good thing happen?

Well, if this wasn’t a forum, specifically created for people to complain and therefore 90% of the people who check are ones who want to complain, you would have seen different thread titles.

Good luck fellow players and remember, people will complain about everything, will leave the game for whatever reason and willl come up with ’’killing’’ statements when they feel like. GW2 isn’t perfect, NO… but it is the best on the western market, wether our fellow cuties want it or not.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

Posted by: pixiedancer.1526

pixiedancer.1526

I’ve been fine with megaservers so far (events actually getting run, unified boss timers, etc), but yeah, the system definitely needs tweaks and priority tags in the party/friend menu for grouping.

Pretty much all I want myself, I don’t want to lose the server community even if they only disabled it in major cities it would be a big help.

P.S. There’s four major threads explaining why as well, people, so don’t play ignorant.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Everyone knows me as a staunch defender of Anet and a purported fanboy. While I disagree with that, and I have in many occasion criticized Anet in the past (i.e. farming nerfs, watchwork pick), this single update is the worst update in the game and I would reckon could go down in history as the worst update in MMO history. Never before have I seen a company decide to go in such a destructive route with complete disregard to community feedback.

Last night was the final straw for me. I put up with megaservers since last week because they didn’t venture into Sparkfly/Bloodtide/Cursed. But they activated megaservers, and it wasn’t pretty.

I have about 4000 hours playing this game since release. 1/4 WvW and the rest farming. I’ve invested $1000 in Anet because I felt they did a pretty good job.

All of that doesn’t matter anymore because megaservers are a pretty BIG deal and it’s not anything close to the previous GW2 controversies, and far bigger of an issue than ascended gear.

Unlike most of the top 1% of the game, I earned my wealth through farming and playing the game, not playing the TP. I farmed metaevents and temples across all servers and pushed temple events in Orr.

Thanks to Megaservers, I can no longer keep track of events, making it impossible for me to pursue events unless I want to dedicate hours of my time in a zone, waiting for a temple to be contested. I don’t even know when it will be contested.

I will no longer be able to do Tequatl properly and efficiently, because now I’m lumped in with leechers and people who decide to range Teq. Wurm is now impossible because the margin of error was pretty low before the patch, and introducing more PUGs doesn’t help either.

TTS and many other organized PvE guilds like Ethereal Guardians on SoR are pretty kittened off about this update. I remember how Anet were so excited with the launches of Tequatl and TTS and how they all worked very hard to figure out strategies.

You think that’s going to be possible now? No. These very same guilds and people who supported Anet and completed their content are no longer being provided the resources and space to do so.

Since I cannot do anything in this game anymore that I consider fun, I can’t bring myself to waste my time and log-in. Until Anet reverses megaservers, or at a minimum, remove them from Temple zones and boss maps, I will be elsewhere.

The only people positively affected by megaservers are people who wish to see zones full and lively and to play with others. You can’t convince me that this is a large enough portion of the playerbase.

Which leads me to believe they did these changes as a cost-saving measure.

(edited by Vol.7601)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

it’s better then being bugged with overflows……..

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This patch though?

So what makes this complaint any more valid? Is it because YOU and a group of other players dislike it and now it’s suddenly the RIGHT thing to complain about? Is your complaint suddenly SUPERIOR to the complaints of the other group?

Nothing will please every one, it just sounds like this is your first time being on the other end of a change.

She has a valid complaint Celest, and she does quantify it by stating ‘people she knows.’ It’s no less valid than my assertion that it’s not a complete fail, since for me, and mine it works out quite well. No need to jump on her.

We can all agree that the implementation is not perfect. It has it flaws, but that is to be expected with such things. Honestly, the bigger the component, the more likely you will be to find a bug. Nothing is ever fool proof. That’s just how it goes.

However, I think their biggest issue is their instance selection calculation. Based on what they said about what it was supposed to take into consideration and how it was supposed to work vs a lot of the complaints being voiced, it simply sounds like it’s not functioning properly. It really could be that simple. Of course, it could also require to collect and store data for its aggregation, which could take some time; although I personally would have stuck that in long before the actual patch so it could have a head start on data gathering, but again that’s just how my brain works.

nGumball.1283

Actually I forgot something, I know 50.000 people who joined the game becasue of the update. Whaaa, all the ‘’people who you know’’ are nothin’ buddy, my 50.000 friends are the important ones…hahahha, GW2 live, haha……..

^ GW2forums, a place where you get this stupidity everyday, just the other way around.

Morrigan.2809

killed or atleast heavily crippled my community, thats for sure. Doesnt seem like they care much, either though. I am just waiting for their usual pat-self-on-shoulder move on social media along with trying to lure new players to the game with 50% sales or whatever. There has been silence for a week, and the “fixes” that came only added further chaos. Not sure if they have a clue where they are stearing this ship at this point.

How in the world did it heavily cripple your community? Please explain, or are you just complaining because you like complaining?

Community= an identity built up on a server since launch.
Made up of the same people with the same attitudes that like to do the same things.
It is not really hard to understand.
Some servers had great communities, that is why people went there.

How it ruined communities? Find me more than 2 people from your own server on any map- go ahead.
You no longer see the familiar faces- you no longer have the same philosophical discussions, you now longer have server gossip.

Nevermind guild issues and mega bosses.
Nevermind language issues and very different cultures in Eu

but I guess for some quantity= quality

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Megaservers are awesome. Game feels a lot less like single player now. I think this is something that should have been done from the start, rather than limiting players to 1 server.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

It killed PvE for me. It was take or leave before the Megaserver, but post-Megaserver left me with zero interest in it while its in it’s current state of mess. Plus I loathe the boss schedule. A living breathing world……on a timed schedule. What?

I still play – only in sPvP and WvW/EotM though, which I still enjoy.

nGumball.1283

Community= an identity built up on a server since launch.
Made up of the same people with the same attitudes that like to do the same things.
It is not really hard to understand.
Some servers had great communities, that is why people went there.

How it ruined communities? Find me more than 2 people from your own server on any map- go ahead.
You no longer see the familiar faces- you no longer have the same philosophical discussions, you now longer have server gossip.

Nevermind guild issues and mega bosses.
Nevermind language issues and very different cultures in Eu

but I guess for some quantity= quality

Why am I the only person in the game to end up with people usually from my server on the same map? I find it like I am making miracles everyday when GW2 forums tell me that the mega-server tell me that I will play in a myserious hole from now on.

Also, it is ironic to use philosophy as something to support your opinion, casue your opinion in the first place is flawed.

Speaking about philosophy and generlizing your own experience and understanding of the system for every single GW2 player and then you wonder why people like you who have wasted the last half year hating, don’t get attention.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

Posted by: DavidH.7380

DavidH.7380

Now that it’s out there, it just needs some… tweaking. And they sure have a very large kitten filled feedback thread to sift through to help with that tweaking.

It’s not the end of the world though. We felt / thought the same of overflows at the beginning, and the bugs that existed then that kept us from being able to play with our friends and guildmates. They fixed those, they just have to fix things here. Honestly, I think their aggregate just isn’t working properly and with some fine tuning, we should see things turn around.

I have to agree. I think the megaserver is a great change as long as it is tweaked from how it works now. Right now it seems to prioritize putting too many players on existing maps over leaving room for guild and party members to join. It really needs to leave more room on existing maps for guild and party members to join, and it needs to put more priority on keeping guild and party members together.

It also doesn’t take into account player preferences for higher population or lower population maps. I’d like to see a player settable option for high or low population preference added an a button to move to a new map instance. The system could use low population preference players to open new map instances and fill them with the initial population of players so they get more of a chance for a less crowded world. No preference players get stuck into medium population maps with some extra room for others to join. High population preference players could be stuck into fuller maps without much room for joiners, but where they are likely to find the crowd they are looking for. If you really don’t like the map instance you are in, hit the new map instance button to be transferred to another map instance.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

So the major complaint is with the community? Is that really ANet’s fault?

Sure, I’ll concede that there are more than a few events grinded by the hardcore that are way too open for trolling, but IMHO they’ve already taken the first step to alleviating some of those by making champs scale better.

In my experience, I’ve never felt less alone since release. It’s great! I’m leveling a mesmer at the moment, currently level 35. If I need help with an event, I finally feel like I can get it.

I know the temple events, the ‘raids,’ champ farms and the guild missions are way more rewarding than standard open world activities, but those open world activities are what many of us hyped when we heard about the game. It’s been so long, but we can finally do that stuff again.

It’s not the megaserver that needs to be fixed/removed. It’s just a few modifications to some of the more hardcore content to compensate, and it’s a willingness of the community to use the “Report” feature.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

No. Megaservers will save the game, and secure its longevity. But ArenaNet needs to do a lot of work on them, as the current implementation is flawed in many ways.

They need to consider: world boss problems, guilds having trouble playing together, maps feeling ‘too full’, adjusting difficulty, the problem of zergs, etc.

I would also like to see districts/channels implemented in some form, so that players can perhaps more easily meet up with their friends/guildies (as it was in Gw1). Example: You would have Gendarran Fields 1, Gendarran Fields 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc…With copies of the map expanding or contracting depending on its population…again just how Gw1 districts worked.

Have patience, I think ArenaNet will find a solution for most of the common complaints about megaservers.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

nGumball.1283

So the major complaint is with the community? Is that really ANet’s fault?

Sure, I’ll concede that there are more than a few events grinded by the hardcore that are way too open for trolling, but IMHO they’ve already taken the first step to alleviating some of those by making champs scale better.

In my experience, I’ve never felt less alone since release. It’s great! I’m leveling a mesmer at the moment, currently level 35. If I need help with an event, I finally feel like I can get it.

I know the temple events, the ‘raids,’ champ farms and the guild missions are way more rewarding than standard open world activities, but those open world activities are what many of us hyped when we heard about the game. It’s been so long, but we can finally do that stuff again.

It’s not the megaserver that needs to be fixed/removed. It’s just a few modifications to some of the more hardcore content to compensate, and it’s a willingness of the community to use the “Report” feature.

There is no issue, WHATEVER the update could have been out, this same thread would have been opened anyhow, it is just an illusion that people want Anet to make the right thing, becasue apparently Anet only do the wrong things. You can figure out from a logical point of view why it is like that and how a company in some myserious way always ’’fails’’ according to a forum created for compaints.