Are professions still unbalanced?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elias.3204

Elias.3204

I’ve been away for a while now, but have been feeling the urge to come back. The reason for leaving the first time was due to my frustration of leveling an engineer all the way to 80 and then discovering that most professions were superbly better at everything.

I later returned and decided that “if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em” and leveled a guardian to 80. Sure enough, the guardian was ultra powerful compared to my engineer, and in frustration, you guessed it, I left again.

Now, some months have passed, and I was wondering if the classes were any closer to being balanced? I remember this being a big selling point of the game initially, that there were no class-specific-roles, and that any profession could play any needed role (just in a different way). Of course, my favorite professions seemed to be the worst too (Engineer and Necromancer).

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Engineers are still less desired in PVE, but good in PVP. Necromancers are in better shape, OP when played right in PVP, ok in PVE if you don’t focus on conditions.

Warriors are currently the ridiculous class, OP/borderline OP in every game mode. Other than that, the balance is mostly the same, depending on how long ago you stopped playing though ele’s took a nerf beating to d/d. Rangers are still garbage compared to the other classes when not playing sPVP. Thieves are still thieves, they’ve gotten a mix of nerfs/buffs. Mesmers had a big trait shuffle nerf but other than that they are the same mostly.

(edited by roamzero.9486)

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Right now the balance is quite bad, yo have Warriors dominating in all aspects of the game, multiple viable builds and outshine most (if not all) classes in any role if traited for it, except maybe stability sharing and projectile reflection in which guardians are still king.

elementalists have been nerfed to the bottom of the pit, being not even bordeline unviable, but almost full blown unviable, only exceptions are glitching with FGS on bosses and staff ZvZ which received a couple of nerfs since now AoE take into consideration block and dodges, incredibly diminishing their damage.

Other than that balance for other classes has remained static, lots of unnecesary buffs, (which is the main reason why eles are so subpar rigth now; everyone but them got buffed in the right places, all eles got where their niche gimmicky conjure weapons buffed, and some QoL fixes to staff)

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

Paraphrasing Animal Farm… all classes are equal but some are more equal than others. Currently Warriors are the most equal by far.

Posted by: Ronako.2315

Ronako.2315

Got on the forums to basically ask this exact question. xD Don’t know how to feel now that my warrior dominates everything though. Was already a bit on edge when I made her since a majority of players were already warriors.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Warriors are definitely op currently. They have great dps in pve, have many viable builds, specially wanted in pve parties, and they have infinite stun/cc spam with hammer/mace shield in wvw and pvp with low cooldowns. And the most ridiculous thing, they still buff them with the latest patches… I’m not against cc spam but they have to add counter skills for other classes like long-duration stabilities etc. Enter wvw and see yourself, ppl just play to spam hammerstuns in guild raids. Today I’ve seen an enemy guild with at least 20+ hammer warriors. No stability or stun break can deal with this kind of cc spam. Fights aren’t fun anymore…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Now, some months have passed, and I was wondering if the classes were any closer to being balanced?

Not only that did not happen, but there were continued attempts to make some of them even less balanced.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

If other classes have the HP of a warrior, there would be more viable builds for them. As it stands, classes like ele which has the lowest base armor and lowest base hp have to invest in some defense which limits their gear choices to some extent.

Posted by: Ronako.2315

Ronako.2315

Warriors are definitely op currently. They have great dps in pve, have many viable builds, specially wanted in pve parties, and they have infinite stun/cc spam with hammer/mace shield in wvw and pvp with low cooldowns. And the most ridiculous thing, they still buff them with the latest patches… I’m not against cc spam but they have to add counter skills for other classes like long-duration stabilities etc. Enter wvw and see yourself, ppl just play to spam hammerstuns in guild raids. Today I’ve seen an enemy guild with at least 20+ hammer warriors. No stability or stun break can deal with this kind of cc spam. Fights aren’t fun anymore…

That is really upsetting… xD It took me a month to finally stick to a character and level it up. Time to find a new one..

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

Yes, very.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Engineers have always been good in PvP/WvW but they are significantly harder to play at good efficiency. Maybe that is your problem OP?

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: TriEdge.5149

TriEdge.5149

Very unbalanced but i don’t mind

[KILL]SlavicVarg / Fissue of Woe /
Should I go left where nothing is right,
or right where nothing is left?

Posted by: Elias.3204

Elias.3204

Engineers have always been good in PvP/WvW but they are significantly harder to play at good efficiency. Maybe that is your problem OP?

For Engineers, it was farming in the higher level areas that brought about the realization that I was underpowered; with instances where I would attempt something multiple times, die, and then watch a warrior go in and complete it in seconds while still maintaining full health. I then level a warrior up into the 40s and realized he was already doing as much damage as my geared up, level 80 engineer.

In WvW, I found my niche, but still felt very underpowered compared to other classes. I did have a fun moment reversing a thief’s sudden attack once, but thieves and warriors could still take me down pretty easily unless I was holed up somewhere safe to throw grenades at them. I think this was when thieves had some kind of perma-stealth bug going on.

Overall, it still sounds like the game has major balance issues. Even if they just balanced the classes for PvE I’d be content. Not sure why they’re struggling with this so much.

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

Play Warrior … faceroll … win.

in fact i think i will make a warrior and call him that

Fayceroll Wynn

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Reroll a warrior if you wanna have fun.

All is vain.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

If you want to be unkillable, have the best defense, the best mobility and the best damage then you’ll want to play warrior.

They have literally been buffed in every patch since launch even though they were the strongest class at launch. I don’t know what’s going on over at Anet, but I suspect they all play warriors.

Posted by: Eis.6984

Eis.6984

I was pretty surprised coming back after a nine month break to see my warrior (my most powerful character when I quit) had been buffed, but my ranger (completely pointless class at 80) had been nerfed. I guess I know which of those I’ll be playing…

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

The top tier builds for every class are close (with a couple of exceptions in certain game types) but the larger imbalance is between builds within a given class. Anet really has a long way to go in making the lesser builds closer to the FOTM ones.

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

Want an OP class in every aspect of the game, play Warrior, simple.

If you want something that needs actually skills to play, then try elementalist or your engineer.

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead