Are some classes useless in some content?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you have decided that you definitely MUST play with that kind of people then yes otherwise no. The class itself works fine for everything but not necessarily the absolute best choice.

Posted by: piano man.1672

piano man.1672

If you’re playing casually, then every class will perform just fine. I love Necromancer, probably my most favorite class next to Warrior. I enjoy running him in casual dungeon/fractal runs. There isn’t really a useless class when running with casual groups, since they all bring something to the table.

If you’re aiming for a hardcore playstyle or with hardcore peeps, then depending on who is in your group you might be kicked from dungeons and fractals. Compared to other classes they just don’t perform as well as other classes do in both support and damage output. This only becomes an issue if your group is trying to complete dungeons and fractals in the fastest possible time.

Is it a huge problem? Not at all. I have no issues finding casual groups to run dungeons with on my Necromancer, and even casually we get through paths pretty quickly. I pop “LFG [path(s) here] casual” in the respective LFG channel and get a full group in no time. It may take you a minute or two longer to complete a path, if you’re speeding through it, but it’s not a huge deal.

Kharros 80 Warr | Dead on Revival 80 Necro | Yoxx 80 Guard | Khoton 80 Thief | Thera Majere 80 Ele

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Useless no, sub-optimal absolutely

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The people who insist on absolutely optimal builds are people I particularly don’t want to play with in the first place. I run dungeons with necros all the time and we do fine.

Decide your play style and if you’re going to allow your enjoyment of a game to be dictated by others. Then make your own LFG group and say all professions welcome. Profit.

Posted by: BrokenGlass.9356

BrokenGlass.9356

I have one of everything except gaurdian and engineer at 80 and geared in some mix of exotic and ascended… and really… they’re all good.

Clearing dungeons and fractals in the fastest possible time is mainly for folks that, at some point forgot they are playing a game, and decided they wanted a second job.

We all play this because its fun… and in my honest opinion, clearing content fast pales in comparison to clearing it well.

I have support built toons, and condition built toons, direct damage ones, and hybrids. Drastically diffrent builds in PvE, SPvP, and WvW on all of them…

Why didn’t I play engineer and gaurdian? Cause I find thier class mechanics to be the least interesting. Despite the fact that the “meta” loves engineers for PvE, and gaurdians for PvP.

And for the record. Necro rocks the socks right off the bee’s knees.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

The necro is as good as any other class for absolutely everything in PvE. Fine for solo roaming and zerging in wvw. Don´t know about PvP.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Wells-necros set up for power-based damage can be very good team support. Almost all wells skills offer strong party-wide benefits and traited they give protection to all teammates in them when they are cast. It just seems to be a somewhat uncommon build so they get a bad rep.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Don’t worry, every profession has its place in every type of content. And 99% of the people who are “elitist”, stating such things as Necromancer being sub-optimal, have no basis for which to state it on. They are simply parroting what they’ve heard elsewhere, from a niche group of people who has overall very little insight into the game and its mechanics. All they tend to really know, is how to copy a build that has become popular, or.. meta if you like. They don’t know for the life of them, how to make their own builds, or how to efficiently optimize a specific profession and playing to its strengths.

Are there professions and builds that are easier to play than others? Yes. Does that make them better? No. It just means people with little skill has something to carry them, which is good. That’s good game design.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Yes. Blame pvp balance. And is not about dps but the lack of (self)support/utilities

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Hey everyone,

I’ve recently just come back today (never reached max before, just casually played on and off with many up to 70).

I decided to roll Necromancer as it appealed greatly to me and as I’ve been playing I’ve been hearing how borderline useless it is compared to every other class and that I should just re-roll. Am I really going to be auto kicked from certain content because I chose a class that doesn’t min/max as well as say an Elementalist does?

Sucks, I won’t be rerolling as I love the class, just hopefully it’s nearly not as bad kitten many make it out to be.

Two things: First, you can play whatever you like where ever you like and you can do all the content you’d like with like minded people. If you see a LFG wanting specific classes and levels and gear and you don’t fit it, then don’t try to join it. Really that simple.

Second, as for necros, I’ve been playing mime with a GREAT vampiric build that lets her face tank almost everything in Tyria, especially if there are a large number of enemies. Same build has tons of fun in WvW and PvP too.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

Clearing dungeons and fractals in the fastest possible time is mainly for folks that, at some point forgot they are playing a game, and decided they wanted a second job.

This is ridiculous. My friends and I love the challenge of finding the fastest and most efficient ways to clear endgame content. We’re not elitists and never call out or kick pugs based on sub-optimal builds, but when we have a fully geared group ready to rock and roll, there’s nothing more exciting than smashing endgame content to bits with skill, coordination, and scoring personal records! Harder content in HoT is definitely something we look forward to as it will hopefully bring new and exciting challenges to overcome and master.

Not everyone who enjoys perfecting their hobby turns it into a job.
Not every speed-runner is an elitist.
Necros are a valuable addition to the game and no class is 100% useless. Check out [DNT] Brazil’s necro build and play afterall. The meta is always changing, and HoT is coming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1UoLamBy5k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuwFe2Aaxk

Just play what you enjoy most.

Golden shackles are still golden.

(edited by Thanatos.2691)

Posted by: Aetrion.8295

Aetrion.8295

If you have decided that you definitely MUST play with that kind of people then yes otherwise no.

The problem is that there are people who both enjoy challenging themselves to attaining top performance and playing a necromancer. Those two are not mutually exclusive, which is why you can’t simply say. “Sure your class is an impediment to killing bosses quickly, but you can always play with people who don’t mind that.”

That said, the biggest issue with Necros and Rangers and why they aren’t welcome in “meta” groups is because pets often screw up what should be a simple tactic (Such as “stay behind this corner until the enemy archers walk around it and then we can AoE their ranged and melee units at the same time”). Rangers also habitually screw up defiance because they just cannot stop themselves from using long bow 4 every time it’s up, but nobody needs bosses to take a 5 foot little jump, they need bosses to get frozen for 5 seconds by icebows reliably.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

I see “No Necro/Ranger” in every single explorable or fotm level (Except 1-9) at least once a day in LFG. More if it’s very high fractals. But It’s sad, because apart from 50+ Fractals it barely matters unless you are doing world first youtube runs which I assure you people will not be using LFG for. This is one of the most casual/easy MMO’s in the market, making such a thing even more perplexing.

That being said, people do say that for a reason. Necro’s best DPS spec does half the damage (literally) than other top classes. But PVE is so kitten easy it DOESN’T MATTER unless you are doing YOUTUBE world firsts……which is why I question the sanity of those LFGs people. Only exception is for people who are just starting out 40/50 Fractals and want smoother runs.

(edited by Substatic.6958)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If you have decided that you definitely MUST play with that kind of people then yes otherwise no.

The problem is that there are people who both enjoy challenging themselves to attaining top performance and playing a necromancer. Those two are not mutually exclusive, which is why you can’t simply say. “Sure your class is an impediment to killing bosses quickly, but you can always play with people who don’t mind that.”

That said, the biggest issue with Necros and Rangers and why they aren’t welcome in “meta” groups is because pets often screw up what should be a simple tactic (Such as “stay behind this corner until the enemy archers walk around it and then we can AoE their ranged and melee units at the same time”). Rangers also habitually screw up defiance because they just cannot stop themselves from using long bow 4 every time it’s up, but nobody needs bosses to take a 5 foot little jump, they need bosses to get frozen for 5 seconds by icebows reliably.

I have actually completely forgotten about minions. A ranger has no choice but a necro does.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Necro is just fine and most of the time you won’t be excluded (kicked) from dungeons/fractals (unless you’re joining one that specifically states no necros). The problem with necro is that it doesn’t bring anything special to a group that another class doesn’t do better. Other areas of the game generally don’t have issues with necros. Just stick with like minded people when grouping and if you’re kicked for being a necro go make your own group.

As far as “min/max,” every class, including necro, have optimal builds. Do what you find fun with like minded people and you should have no trouble.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Someone that can´t run a fractal of levels 11-19 with a ranger or necro with 10 AR is either new to fractals, new to the game, or an elitist of the rudest kind.

Can´t speak of the Necro, but Ranger is very useful in several fractals:
*Can carry the hammer because of the elite skill
*Very good in the harpy fractal
*Useful with Lava Shaman(Seek and Rescue, Entangle)

4 Warriors and a Guard for example are not a group that consists out of good players, it´s a war or attrition they play with Elite Banners mostly.^^

Just ignore the people that can run their way only, and have fun with the necro

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Well i have not seen many people only having one character in game. Make one of each class and pick after mood or what your group need.
I mostly have several characters for each class like powernecro/condinecro, supportele/zerkerele, wvw-guard/zerker-guard and so on. Or you can just carry gear in your backpack and change build.

Most players have their favorite class i certainly do, but i can provide any sort of class to what ever i am set to do, which gives me a lot of choices.

If you still want to stick to one class, one build, one set of gear, then this still works. Just avoid joining the groups that say speedrun/zerker and so on. A lot of time when people get trouble is when they join a group were they clearly don’t fit the description. Just respect all players choices and make your own group if nothing fits you.

Posted by: Dromina.5023

Dromina.5023

There is no useless class only some that lack in certain areas. For example necro is not a very good dps class. On the other hand necro has one of the best sustain and self buffs (25 might and 25 vuln, fury most of the time). Necro has always the ability to go range without the need to equip a “non-meta” weapon (useful for some fractal encounters) and can disrupt defiance stacks very easily.

If you have problems finding groups in LFG, find yourself a guild and do group content with guild groups. Easiest solution.

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Gw2 is the candy crush of MMOs. The only constraints in PvE are those you arbitrarily set for yourself. Everything is viable, because there’s no basis to compare each class against in the first place.

Some classes just do content more efficiently or quicker than others, same with builds. There’s nothing preventing mr. cleric axe necro from completing content, the game is too easy for that.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Useless no, sub-optimal absolutely

Which in the minds to some automatically equates to useless.
Best bet is just to stay away from those players… you’ll be a lot happier.