Are unpopular changes hidden?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Limnage.9581

Limnage.9581

Here are the patch notes: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Update-Notes-September-18th-2012

You’ll notice some things are missing: specifically they don’t have anything about the increases in difficulty to CoF and CM. They also don’t give any specifics about the nerfs to dungeon rewards.

It seems like too much of a coincidence that these are the most unpopular changes. Anet also didn’t include any mention or details about the anti-farming system when they put it in, either.

Why hide information from players?

Posted by: sandwitch.6159

sandwitch.6159

Where do you have any proof about your claims?

I’ve heard about the anti-farm code speculation before. Tried farming some Vials of Blood in the north and I encountered the exact opposite. I was farming there for about 5 hours in total and the longer I was there, the more Vial drops I got.

(edited by sandwitch.6159)

Posted by: Kimhyuna.1035

Kimhyuna.1035

+1
Well done, you are slowly alienating your fanbase. It began so well when community interaction was so so prevalent and lately, there has been nothing (save the support staff). And after the blog post on their ‘vision’ for their endgame …..

But honestly, the changes limiting an individuals ability to farm was a kick in the kitten.

Minion

Posted by: zogrim.6925

zogrim.6925

But honestly, the changes limiting an individuals ability to farm was a kick in the kitten.

This was always the mentality of ANet, I don’t know why it’s such a surprise for you.

And yes, the only reason they don’t write every little detail down in forum posts, must be because they want us to suffer and ruin the gaming experience. Clearly there must be no other reason.

Posted by: Andry.2563

Andry.2563

Big changes to two of the encounters in CoF. The reward nerf isn’t the only thing they did. No mention of it. You can’t hide changes to the game. They will always be found.

Posted by: Limnage.9581

Limnage.9581

This was always the mentality of ANet, I don’t know why it’s such a surprise for you.

And yes, the only reason they don’t write every little detail down in forum posts, must be because they want us to suffer and ruin the gaming experience. Clearly there must be no other reason.

It’s more like the things they don’t mention are the things that are likely to be unpopular. It seems they’re afraid of public backlash.

Posted by: Vanille.6407

Vanille.6407

I like how they added new mob classes such as sniper and bomber. Sniper is bound to 1 hit you as well as the bombers.

zogrim.6925

It’s more like the things they don’t mention are the things that are likely to be unpopular. It seems they’re afraid of public backlash.

The forums are bad as it is. Why would they want to fuel it any further.

Besides, it’s not like players need to know everything.

Posted by: Shroom Mage.9410

Shroom Mage.9410

There is absolutely no reason they should explain how their anti-farm code works. Explaining how it works is the exact same thing as explaining how to work around it.

“Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don’t matter
and those who matter don’t mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Damion.7584

Damion.7584

One of the mostly bold simple minded ideas I have ever heard. You must be a sheep.

By hiding unpopular changes that isn’t going to reduce player annoyance. As stated over and over, players will find this out, in fact they already have, which is why the forums are buzzing!

Posted by: Vytal.7942

Vytal.7942

Where do you have any proof about your claims?

I’ve heard about the anti-farm code speculation before. Tried farming some Vials of Blood in the north and I encountered the exact opposite. I was farming there for about 5 hours in total and the longer I was there, the more Vial drops I got.

You must be a very lucky man my friend. For the vast majority of players the speculation of the anit-farm script isn’t really a speculation but more of a concrete fact. Here was the data I gathered tonight before the patch went off. It was mainly an experiment for a bunch of the posts in the crafting section.

A little bit of data:
Hours farming frost trolls in Frostgorge Sound in hopes of Powerful Blood and Potent Blood.
(All data is with 210% MF)
Hour 1: 23 Potent Bloods/7 Powerful/ 21 Large Bones/5 Ancient Bones/10 Blues/6 Greens/2 Rares
Hour 2: 11 Potent Bloods/3 Powerful/ 15 Large Bones/1 Ancient Bones/6 Blues/3 Greens/0 Rares
Hour 3: 8 Potent/1 Powerful/ 9 Large Bones/ 0 Ancient/ 4 Blues/1 Green/0 Rares
(This is where it gets dismal)
Hour 4: 1 Potent/0 Powerful/2 Large Bones/0 Ancient/1 Blue/0 Greens/0 Rares.

Posted by: Pony.3256

Pony.3256

Here are the patch notes: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Update-Notes-September-18th-2012

You’ll notice some things are missing: specifically they don’t have anything about the increases in difficulty to CoF and CM. They also don’t give any specifics about the nerfs to dungeon rewards.

It seems like too much of a coincidence that these are the most unpopular changes. Anet also didn’t include any mention or details about the anti-farming system when they put it in, either.

Why hide information from players?

This is proof of what Limnage has said.
It’s on GW2’s Wiki.

Wiki notes
-Can discover recipes from collectibles now
-Various broken skill challenges now functional (such Bayt Fallahin in Malchor’s Leap)
-Citadel of Flame: rewards reduced, bomb plant time increased
-Caudecus Manor: rewards reduced

Rewards reduced.
While mobs were added and buffed.
So now it takes longer to do the dungeon.
It’s more difficult.
You now get really really bad loot.

zogrim.6925

One of the mostly bold simple minded ideas I have ever heard. You must be a sheep.

By hiding unpopular changes that isn’t going to reduce player annoyance. As stated over and over, players will find this out, in fact they already have, which is why the forums are buzzing!

Yeah, I was too lazy to add much thought to it.

Then they wanted to get attention :P

Anyways, why are these unpopular changes?

Posted by: Kailthir.6384

Kailthir.6384

There is absolutely no reason they should explain how their anti-farm code works. Explaining how it works is the exact same thing as explaining how to work around it.

I agree. Tell us what we NEED to know. Not what we demand to know. If they did that, nothing would be fixed or added to. They would be too busy answering questions 24/7.

So what if they nerfed the dungeons or buffed them… makes them a little different now. Now you need to amend your stratigy.

People take such personal affront to such trivial things. It’s just a game. Your soposed to have fun. To me if a game is easy it’s boring and not fun. I want a challenge.

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

If you explain something in depth you give all the infomation needed to reverse engineer it. They will not explain the exact mechanics behind the anti farm, so as not to give info to the enemy looking to exploit it or find a way around it.

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Kimhyuna.1035

Which will eventually happen.
Sooner or later, someone is gonna get enough data from farming to provide information on, in particular, the amount of time needed before the code is reset. Or maybe the amount of items can be dropped before it caps.

I am quite sure most people know the limitations of farming. In my instance, I can farm for about 30mins on a specific mob with 150%+ MF before I notice a large drop off in drops and there have been posts from others that clarify my thoughts on the idea that mine is not a one off situation.

But the point is, why was this needed in the first place? To combat bots? Seems like a lazy implementation to me when you punish your normal legit players and the much lower population of people that bot.

Minion

Vytal.7942

Anyone else notice that 2 minutes ago the wiki notes were edited. Now they only say Citadel of Flame: bomb plant time increased .

Vytal.7942

Which will eventually happen.
Sooner or later, someone is gonna get enough data from farming to provide information on, in particular, the amount of time needed before the code is reset. Or maybe the amount of items can be dropped before it caps.

I am quite sure most people know the limitations of farming. In my instance, I can farm for about 30mins on a specific mob with 150%+ MF before I notice a large drop off in drops and there have been posts from others that clarify my thoughts on the idea that mine is not a one off situation.

But the point is, why was this needed in the first place? To combat bots? Seems like a lazy implementation to me when you punish your normal legit players and the much lower population of people that bot.

I’m actually working on this atm. Not to further help bots, but I think it is something that the community will enjoy and save alot of people time and less frustration overall.

zogrim.6925

If GW1 is of any indication, then the anti-farming policy comes from the view, that they do not want to encourage players to do repetitive stuff. And they achieve this, by discouraging the farming of the same area. By this they expect that players will expand their “farming territory”, thus “enjoying” more parts of the game.

At least this is what I understand.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

The nerf to repeated “farming” runs is in the 17th September patch notes.

Tin-foil hat, much?

Kimhyuna.1035

If GW1 is of any indication, then the anti-farming policy comes from the view, that they do not want to encourage players to do repetitive stuff. And they achieve this, by discouraging the farming of the same area. By this they expect that players will expand their “farming territory”, thus “enjoying” more parts of the game.

At least this is what I understand.

But the point is, this is not GW1. We are essentially, no matter how cheesy this sounds, in a new era of gaming where comparing it to an aged game is somewhat bemusing to me. GW2 is essentially a different game to GW1, the only thing that is really the same is the world and the lore.

To me it just seems they dont want people to earn large sums of money and mayhaps want people who are desperate for money spend real-hard cash on their gems-gold conversion.

Minion

zogrim.6925

But the point is, this is not GW1.

I never said it was…

We are essentially, no matter how cheesy this sounds, in a new era of gaming where comparing it to an aged game is somewhat bemusing to me. GW2 is essentially a different game to GW1, the only thing that is really the same is the world and the lore.

Yes because everything in the world changes in 7 years. Economics, technology, math, the way usually things work, everything…

Posted by: AidanTaylor.3872

AidanTaylor.3872

European Community Manager

There were certain things that could be done (and were being done) in both CM and CoF that were not intended to be possible (read: exploits), we fixed them.

(edited by AidanTaylor.3872)