Are we board with this game or just MMOs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Just played a little in the Archeage beta and it didn’t impress me, it’s still the same old same old stuff nothing new here. I still like GuildWars but don’t find myself logging into the game as much. Sign up for the beta hoping they did something different but no, so I’m here to stay. Not sure if there will ever be a game that excited me as much as GuildWars did and still can but not with out a big expansion or something to get me back playing like I use to. Back in the day when GW1 came out there were times I played for over 8 hours strait, also ran guild web site TS and Ventrilo servers I was so into the GuildWars games. But now I’m just not that into it. I also tried Wildstar it wasn’t there either, so not sure if it’s MMOs or what. So what do you all think is it this game or MMOs who all fines themselves not logging in as much anymore and can’t find a game that does it for you like GuildWars did?

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

People expect simply too much from MMOs these days. In the end what makes
an MMO fun is to play and chat / talk with nice people and have some fun and
not to climb a virtual Mount Everest all the time.

For me an MMO is like a virtual pub .. instead of playing card or darts or whatever
i play an MMO .. but the people are the essential thing .. without them each game
gets boring fast .. with nice people even a boring game could be fun.

I also never understand why some people are always so obsessed with this “challenge”
thing. If i play after work i mostly want to relax and have some fun .. like i said before
when i go in a pub and play cards or darts .. and not that i alway think : ohh .. there is
no challenge in playing cards .. lets go into a fight club.

But maybe thats just because my name is Roger Murtaugh and i’m to old for that kitten

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

bored*

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

maybe we grew up

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Until there are some huge leaps forward in technology (download speed, real AI, virtual reality immersion, etc.) new games are going to be mostly remixes of what you’ve seen before with the occasional twist. Even Everquest Next’s promises like the ability to destroy any objects/terrain and drop into the underworld to unlock new adventures and so on is just Minecraft with a graphics upgrade. And it opens the door to a whole new level of griefing that could just destroy the fun of the game for most players if it’s not tightly controlled.

Depending on how deeply you get involved in a particular game, or genre of games, it’s easy to eventually become bored and disillusioned with them. In adventure games like MMOs, it’s just not possible to write thousands of unique quests, then do it again and again in different games and expansions. Eventually the quests fall into a handful of categories and you find yourself killing a dozen Xs or fetching a dozen Ys over and over.

Sometimes you just need to take a break from things for a while, play a different kind of character, a different kind of game, or pursue a different hobby altogether for a while, then come back with fresh eyes and rediscover what you liked about the games in the first place.

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

If I could find an MMORPG without requiring it to act like a FULL TIME Job to get anywhere (hint why I like GW2), decent combat mechanics, and a community I could get involved with… That would be awesome. Until that comes along, I will stay here, no matter how unhappy I am with GW2, it is an MMO that I can log in, kill people, collect my 20 grey spikes, and log out without paying for anything unless I want to.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

maybe we grew up

This.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I just typed a long, awesome response, had to relog and lost it all. I really REALLY hate this forums sometimes.

The short end of it is, there’s nothing really new in MMO space. Kill X, defend X, find X, rescue X…it’s all the same thing in different window dressing.

It’s like falling in love and getting married. When you first fall in love it’s exciting. It’s wonderful. It’s brilliant. After ten years of marriage, it’s not as exciting as it was. It’s comfortable. It’s nice. Sometimes it annoys you…but it’s still not what it was in the beginning. It settles into a routine. If you need the constant blush of new romance, you’re in for a lot of break ups.

It’s the same with games. They’re never going to stay that exciting because no developer can keep up. That’s why so many people want an expansion. They want to “fall in love” with the game again. They want that hit of adrenaline.

The people who like this game are the people who appreciate the little things, the details. Not the mechanics, but the ambiance. Because that’s what this game is offering.

To a person focused on mechanics every profession plays pretty much the same. To a person who is into ambiance, they’re all very different. It adds a lot of longevity to the game.

And you know, in the early days, even just playing with other people who were far away, that was amazingly cool. It was like this is the future. That part of it is lost too.

When holograms come out, we’ll all be excited by MMOs again. I want a kitten holodeck kitten!

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

When holograms come out, we’ll all be excited by MMOs again. I want a kitten holodeck kitten!

I should have kept your ambience bit since that’s what gets me to play each day, and roll a new character nearly every month.

But I just want to plug myself into my computer Otherland-style and play that way!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I should have kept your ambience bit since that’s what gets me to play each day, and roll a new character nearly every month.

But I just want to plug myself into my computer Otherland-style and play that way!

I get that. I have a boatload of characters too. Working on my 19th 80.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If I could find an MMORPG without requiring it to act like a FULL TIME Job to get anywhere …

Ironically, this is more likely to happen if substantial numbers of MMO customers stop demanding that MMO’s fill their every free moment.

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

maybe we grew up

Probably this.

I can remember where I sleep at 6am playing a MMO. lol
Those were the times.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

maybe we grew up

That is accurate.I think we are just growing up and are less interested in games.When i was a kid i played lots of games (not just MMO’s).I dont play much any kind of game now.I still like to play them but its not same feeling as before.Eventually we will get to some age where we wont feel like playing games at all and we will quit.Its natural thing to happen.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Every now and then I get bored of GW2, try any other MMORPG for 5 minutes before getting back on the nopetrain back to GW2.

Playing this for too long may get boring after the 9001th CoFp1 speedrun, but it’s given me expectations that no current competitor comes close to filling.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

maybe we grew up

That is accurate.I think we are just growing up and are less interested in games.When i was a kid i played lots of games (not just MMO’s).I dont play much any kind of game now.I still like to play them but its not same feeling as before.Eventually we will get to some age where we wont feel like playing games at all and we will quit.Its natural thing to happen.

/agree

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

maybe we grew up

I don’t think that happens to everyone,..

also dont thing it’s just age but that priorities in life have changed. What you consider a worthwhile use of your time is different now.

(edited by Taygus.4571)

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

I want a game without needing hour and hours to play. I’ve lost my interest in most games mostly because they never deliver what they say they will. MMO’s now are hyped and pushed and released before ready and that just forces the devs to play catch up, this is because it’s not games made for people who love games but corporations looking for easy bucks.

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

I think one of the biggest let downs in this game that causes alot of people to become bored is the fact their is virtually no reward for effort. If they had the loot drops and unique items like was in GW1 there would be more of a reason to play.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

When I first played MMOs, from the sub games to the F2P ones, I got bored with them when I go half-way to the level cap. World of Warcraft could have been the exception to that rule but the subscription held me back. In the case of Guild Wars 2, it’s the first MMO to not only make me want to max out my character, but go further on what else is there to do in the game from the world completions to the acquisition of enough gold to get me the stuff I need. I do get bored from this game as well, but I still come back to it whenever I feel the need for something relaxing to play.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I wouldn’t say i’m bored with MMOs or GW2…I could easily get into the game again if they made a DPS staff mesmer or introduced some more armorsets I liked.

So far GW2 has felt extremely bland to me because I feel like I’m so limited (by my own devices) as to what I enjoy. It’s all a matter of finding the right vessel to enjoy myself with, though.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Ironically, this is more likely to happen if substantial numbers of MMO customers stop demanding that MMO’s fill their every free moment.

There is so much truth in this statement. The level of expectations some swaths of players demand from MMOs is simply beyond absurd (and its not just GW2). I see quite frequently complaints of “I’ve spent 1500+ hours on this game, and now I’m bored! I need more stuff to do!”

It’s ridiculous, and it reinforces the idea that MMO players are whiny, entitled brats. There is NO other form of entertainment where that amount of time sink would be considered a waste of money or effort. Only MMOs.

It’s no wonder there are groups that are chronically disappointed with every game and MMO they play. What they expect and demand is impossible in every way, shape, and form.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

There is so much truth in this statement. The level of expectations some swaths of players demand from MMOs is simply beyond absurd (and its not just GW2). I see quite frequently complaints of “I’ve spent 1500+ hours on this game, and now I’m bored! I need more stuff to do!”

It’s ridiculous, and it reinforces the idea that MMO players are whiny, entitled brats. There is NO other form of entertainment where that amount of time sink would be considered a waste of money or effort. Only MMOs.

It’s no wonder there are groups that are chronically disappointed with every game and MMO they play. What they expect and demand is impossible in every way, shape, and form.

It gets even more ridiculous when you start comparing an MMO to almost any single player game. Most single player games don’t last 100 hours per playthrough, which would be tiny in comparison to what most people spend in any given MMO.

And then there’s the classic “pro-subscription” argument of comparing the 12€ sub fee to a visit to the movies, which definitely does not last 3 hours.

So on one hand, we have MMO players who demand hundreds or thousands of hours of gameplay and on the other we the same people saying “well we get more than 3 hours of gameplay per month so it’s totally worth it!”

By the way, does it take more than 90 minutes for a regularly player to complete all of an episode of a Living Story without using a guide? Because that would mean that Living Story is giving >3 hours of gameplay per month…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

“We” are a very large group of people with very different opinions and experiences.

You might be bored with either GW2 specifically or MMOs in general but that doesn’t mean everyone else feels the same way.

Personally I still play GW2 almost every day (every day that I can but I’m not always home) and I still enjoy it a lot. I haven’t played another MMO since Ultima Online, unless you count GW1, so I can’t comment on them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

By the way, does it take more than 90 minutes for a regularly player to complete all of an episode of a Living Story without using a guide? Because that would mean that Living Story is giving >3 hours of gameplay per month…

It’s taken me about 2-3 hours to do the story to each episode, but I couldn’t say how much of that was actively playing the story instances. When I’m playing I’m also chatting with my guild and I let myself get distracted by anything interesting I come across so something as simple as crossing Dry Top could take 30 minutes and involve completing several events, opening buried chests etc.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No. Personally I am not bored with the game, nor am I bored with MMOs. Of course, I’m also not one of those people that has all day to play either, nor am I someone that has to min/max as it’s not my play style. Admittedly, I do tend to do more math and figuring than I typically prefer and have a rather large excel sheet for all the various things for my characters., but that’s pretty typical too when I get invested in a game.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

maybe we grew up

This.

Seconded. Our tastes in games have changed over time. I still like MMOs in general, but I’ve been getting bored with them lately since they are basically all ran on the same formula.

GW2 is my MMO of choice at the moment because of the setup of the whole thing, and if I ever get bored with it, it’s easy to stop playing for a length of time and just pick it up again later.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I do think there IS a degree of “been there, done that” in the MMO genre. But I also believe that is because of PLAYERS, not DEVELOPERS.

People, as a general rule, do NOT like change. They don’t particularly like new things. They like what they are used to, and I don’t think it’s any accident that a large part of “suggestions” on these forums are for things that have become convention to the MMO genre (combat trinity, power creep in gear and character progression, instanced raids, the dreaded “m word”).

Players are their own worst enemy at times. We CLAIM we want new stuff, but in reality, we want to go back to OLD stuff (the cries for expansion are by far loudest for Cantha, an area GW1 already visited). It’s certainly not LIMITED to the MMO market; for example, for all the crying that other games and movies are just recycled sequels, if you look at the sales charts, sequels and remakes outright dominate.

Players are the greatest force of stagnation in our games. We DON’T want new. We DON’T want different. Just give us more of the same. We kinda… WANT to be bored, because it means that we aren’t getting pushed out of our comfort zone with what we know we like.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

If I could find an MMORPG without requiring it to act like a FULL TIME Job to get anywhere …

Totally support this. MMO shouldn’t be a second life at all.

I play a few steam games from time to time to take a break from gw2 or minecraft when I feel it’s safe not to die from lava.

And really, the most demanding aspect of gw2 and the most played mode is PvE. It would be nice if PvE’ers could be content with all they have… I mean us PvP’ers/WvW’ers sure are satisfied with the state of our affairs…

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

Archeage has some great ideas, but they bolted them on to a fairly mediocre MMO core. Imagine if GW2 had housing, farms, and other features. It would be an unstoppable behemoth.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Archeage has some great ideas, but they bolted them on to a fairly mediocre MMO core. Imagine if GW2 had housing, farms, and other features. It would be an unstoppable behemoth.

I like AA but I’m with you on the mediocre part…. But I don’t think we seriously expect most companies to detract from the things that made mmos successful in the past even if they have been done 1000+ times but only prettier.

I still give props to gw2 for taking a stand but it’s already shown it won’t be the game changer in the industry.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

Many people that plays mmorpgs since the days of UO or DAOC, was smashed by the glory of old, from games like Guild Wars, Vanilla WoW, EQ2.

Im bored of GW2 and present mmorpgs. Yes it is true. Not because GW2 is a bad game, its quite the opposite, but every mmorpg ive played since the old epic fantasy games mentioned above, are just pale and stale.

One of my biggest issues with modern mmorpgs is that devs simply dont know how to deliver the “epic” feeling again.

Its all very casual, very “click to go there”. No sense of exploration, no sense of achievement other than a tab saying “achievements” where one can go see the points going up as we complete stuff…

…i never needed a tab before just to feel good about doing something. Just the fact of having to go to a specific point with a group of friends, battling our way in and completing the task, that was enough sense of achievement for me. Now we just have spawn points everywhere in the world map, lfg Qs and other “modern day” stuff…

It is just too easy to play in modern day mmorpgs….

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Just played a little in the Archeage beta and it didn’t impress me, it’s still the same old same old stuff nothing new here. I still like GuildWars but don’t find myself logging into the game as much. Sign up for the beta hoping they did something different but no, so I’m here to stay. Not sure if there will ever be a game that excited me as much as GuildWars did and still can but not with out a big expansion or something to get me back playing like I use to. Back in the day when GW1 came out there were times I played for over 8 hours strait, also ran guild web site TS and Ventrilo servers I was so into the GuildWars games. But now I’m just not that into it. I also tried Wildstar it wasn’t there either, so not sure if it’s MMOs or what. So what do you all think is it this game or MMOs who all fines themselves not logging in as much anymore and can’t find a game that does it for you like GuildWars did?

I think the big problem with these games it to keep skilled players busy yet still interested and this is not just for GW2, but all MMOs.
GW1 is still my all time favorite, but i quit playing it during the nightfall campaign simply because in the first weekend it was launched, my group finished it and had mapped out over 60% of the map. We would get to cities and they would be deserted and even merchant dialogs would be empty. It left us with not much to do, so I pretty much stopped.

I find myself still playing GW2, but log out when there are no people i know logged in or if we dont WvW (the guild).
Though with the new boss encounters (i wont spoil details) and the new scavenger hunt I think GW2 is improving a lot. People only remember GW1 as the polished game it was, but GW1 was far less complexe (no jumping, no moving while casting, etc).
Though i feel anet is making lots of beginner’s mistakes with GW2 and even in the newest content.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Many people that plays mmorpgs since the days of UO or DAOC, was smashed by the glory of old, from games like Guild Wars, Vanilla WoW, EQ2.

On the other hand … i think there are not really many players that would play something
like the release version of EQ2 these days.

All the camping for hours, day, weeks maybe to finally get a needed boss for a hertiage
quest ? People complain already these days when they need to wait 10 minutes for
a respawn.

Oh .. and needing maybe 6 months for max level .. GRIND !!!! so much GRIND !!!

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Last night was the first time I’ve logged on GW2 since Jan 2013. I quit because I became bored with the lack of endgame content and this is after I leveled 3 characters to 80 and grinded them all out their gear.

As far as I can tell all they’ve really added is being able to craft ascended gear, added more items that still require grinding Fractals, and did map updates to WvW/Lion Arch. The new talent system change is kind of cool, but its not really any different than what it was before.

On a positive note though this game is -very- easy to get back into. I logged on and I already remembered how to play my characters in a few minutes because its so KISS. I can’t get back into WoW and SWTOR because I literally have to relearn 30 different key/mouse bindings.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

Well for me, since GW2 has dropped I have uninstalled the other mmo’s I was playing at the time and I no longer bother trying anything else out because as far as mmo’s go, GW2 pretty much has everything covered I am looking for in an mmo.

When I find myself getting bored with the game, I know it’s not the game but instead, it’s me. I simply log out and do something else until the need to play video games returns, then I simply log back in.

I know no other mmo is gonna satisfy me when I get bored of playing video games.

Posted by: Iconik.8712

Iconik.8712

“We”? Don’t collectivize. I’m a GW2 addict.

Oh Hey Girl – Troll Thief Extraordinaire Tarnished Coast – www.twitch.tv/iconikk

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

Maybe those things will happen in the future. The great thing about mmo’s is, they are always changing, which is why I’m done with trying other mmo’s. GW2 is always moving and updating. I don’t want to miss anything trying out other mmo’s that aren’t even as good as this one.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

When I played Guild Wars 1, there were times I stopped playing for months. I don’t think I’ve missed more than a handful of days in this game. Possibly its because of the time gated carrots they dangle in front of me. I expect that this shows that ANet read information on how to motivate people to log on frequently. But the main difference to me is, there is always something to do. The daily, work towards my goal of 100% ascended weapons for 8 chars, dungeons, WvW, the new living story, the new achieves. Unlike other MMOs, this one is not static for months/years at a time.

Maybe I’m not “climbing a mountain” on a daily basis here, but constant mountain climbing can get old. Sometimes you just want something you can be comfortable with and enjoy for easy entertainment, chatting with people.

(As to the forums, after being hit with the ‘log in now’ screen once too many times after I typed out a long post, I always copy the post beforehand. Save so much aggravation).

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

But the main difference to me is, there is always something to do. The daily, work towards my goal of 100% ascended weapons for 8 chars, dungeons, WvW, the new living story, the new achieves. Unlike other MMOs, this one is not static for months/years at a time.

This is one of the sour points of GW2, in my opinion. Ascended gear violates the manifesto, violates the statement from ANET about how they don’t make grindy games, violates the statement from ANET about how we’d have the best gear in the game right after hitting level 80, and if they wanted to implement something like it, is about the worst way to go about doing it, especially since the grind hugely compounds with each additional character, each additional build, and (god help you) each additional game mode (i.e. PvE + WvW). Not only is it bad design, it’s a betrayal of the design philosophy that ANET sold us. Every time I do a world boss to obtain dragonite ore, in between the semi-afking and mind-numbing boredom, I am reminded of how awful ascended gear is. Every time I craft another piece of ascended gear, I am reminded of how awful ascended gear is.

Yeah, it’s something to do in the game, but it’s a fake thing to do. There’s no challenge in it, other than suffering through grind and annoyance. The only reason it exists is because they tried to appease the grind>skill camp that came from other MMOs, who think that because they spend a bunch of time on trivially easy content, they “deserve” to be superior to other players, and at the same time try and motivate gem store purchases for gem to gold conversion to help make the process a bit faster and less insufferable.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

But the main difference to me is, there is always something to do. The daily, work towards my goal of 100% ascended weapons for 8 chars, dungeons, WvW, the new living story, the new achieves. Unlike other MMOs, this one is not static for months/years at a time.

This is one of the sour points of GW2, in my opinion. Ascended gear violates the manifesto, violates the statement from ANET about how they don’t make grindy games, violates the statement from ANET about how we’d have the best gear in the game right after hitting level 80, and if they wanted to implement something like it, is about the worst way to go about doing it, especially since the grind hugely compounds with each additional character, each additional build, and (god help you) each additional game mode (i.e. PvE + WvW). Not only is it bad design, it’s a betrayal of the design philosophy that ANET sold us. Every time I do a world boss to obtain dragonite ore, in between the semi-afking and mind-numbing boredom, I am reminded of how awful ascended gear is. Every time I craft another piece of ascended gear, I am reminded of how awful ascended gear is.

Yeah, it’s something to do in the game, but it’s a fake thing to do. There’s no challenge in it, other than suffering through grind and annoyance. The only reason it exists is because they tried to appease the grind>skill camp that came from other MMOs, who think that because they spend a bunch of time on trivially easy content, they “deserve” to be superior to other players, and at the same time try and motivate gem store purchases for gem to gold conversion to help make the process a bit faster and less insufferable.

I have the feeling that ANet felt that for business reasons, it was a good, if not necessary idea. If they felt it was necessary, then I don’t think any of us, who don’t have their money and jobs tied up in this game, can argue with them. They have the numbers and we don’t.

That aside, truthfully the stats are not a big difference from exotics. There are large numbers of players who are at level 80, don’t even have one ascended trinket, much less one ascended weapon, who have never felt the lack of it. I play regularly with someone who has zero ascended stuff, had awful runes (100% toughness runes) and had no trouble with killing stuff.

If they add content to the game that is completely optional, which this is, I don’t find anything wrong with it.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Aivirth.7123

Aivirth.7123

this game is just plain boring, not much to add
mindless grind, almost zero horizontal progression: armor skin? what is that? do you eat it? better release more weapons and backpack with next to zero drop rate
not to mention that 95% of the armors present in the game sucks, especially for females

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

It would be a valid premise if MMOs were singleplayer games. If the game is marketed a singleplayer game – that’s fine, but MMOs are not marketed like singleplayer games. MMOs have a target audience of people who want to keep playing the game over a long period of time, MMOs are not only expected to release content at a reasonable rate but to ensure that the content has enough quality to justify the continuity of the game.

An average of 800-1000 hours over a course of 2 years is a small and manageable amount of time, some people just like to extrapolate the margins of their lives as if spending 7-14 hours a week on a video game is impossible (it’s not). It seems more like a strawman position than an actual argument with merit.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

I think it’s just the combination of weak story telling in the vast (all) MMO’s where you’re left thinking “Did they hire someone on the cheap from fanfic.net?” and one of three combat mechnics used for all of them. The low quality stories aren’t engaging, the hammy lines/voice acting isn’t engaging, they become cartoony and immature really quickly and stop being engaging or entertaining. The same combat mechanics from game to game also get’s “meh” after awhile because it means games are often largely interchangeable.

The problem at the end of the day though is, no one’s really going to invest into a game that’s intending to reinvent the wheel since if it flops (and most mmo’s kind of do these days) that’s a lot of coin gone “poof”

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

As you get older everything becomes a trope to you.

RTS genre? Make peon, have peon farm two or three types of mats, use mats to build or upgrade infrastructure, use infrastructure to build army, attack opponent with army, repeat.

TBS genre? Same as RTS but less twitch skills and more thoughtful exploration. Also enemy isn’t the enemy at the start.

FPS genre? If it moves, shoot it until it stops moving.

MMO genre? Trinity, PvP, race to max level, quest for BIS gear, show off your BIS gear, unsubscribe until next expansion. Also 95% sword and sorcery, 5% other.

Now a constant diet of any of those will cause genre fatigue.

It’s like watching network TV. Nearly all hour dramas are police/detective, lawyer, or hospital procedural. Occasionally it’ll be twisted up and sometimes someone tries something new like Lost, which is then followed by numerous attempts to clone that type of show which inevitably fails and that genre vanishes. Just as graphic adventure games have and racing/flight sims/tycoon games have now become niche.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

^This.

Unfortunately we now live in a world where we expect other people to make our entertainment for us. If you spend all of your free time expecting to be entertained by something or someone else, of course it will become tedious after a while.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’d say MMOs in general bore me.

I tried getting into WoW again recently and.. Well.. All I can say is, WoW. That was lame. :V

Gw2 I play because most of my friends from offsite/game do. And because it’s more affordable overall, and much more flexible with costs, in the same way I can be easy with it.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

As you get older everything becomes a trope to you.

/sigh

Pet peeve alert!

I don’t know why people keep saying “trope” as if it’s a bad thing. Tropes are not bad, because tropes are tools.

Whether they know it or not, any and all types of writers use tropes. They are writing tools after all. The most important thing about them though, is not that they are used, but how they are used.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m saying trope as shorthand for “seen it before numerous times”. That it’s an often use formula in terms of gameplay. If you eliminate the most common elements from the genre you find what’s unique about each game.

The success of EQ and the polishing of WoW has left it’s mark on a lot of MMOs that came after trying to capitalize on WoW’s success. This has led to a playerbase for MMOs to expect certain elements to be found in all later MMOs.

GW2 has broken some of those classic MMO tropes and we’ve seen where that get them, at the pointy end of numerous threads about lack of triad, raids, mounts, dueling, etc.

Nice try to get me to click on TVTropes and be sucked into that vortex of links.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

maybe we grew up

I happen to play with some 60+ friends all the time, perhaps it’s cuz they retired, but really. There is no ‘natural thing’ to happen, it’s just some sort of peer pressure you either give into or not! …

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . given what happened in “Otherland”, I really don’t want to entertain thinking about that. Also, I think when we do get to the holodeck level of recreation? It will be the death of so much progress civilization will backslide. (Not to mention I don’t think it’s probable with the amount of energy which would be required . . .)

More on topic? I’m bored with the concept of needing to play constantly on my off time and forsake other games . . . I’m bored with the grinds which take my gaming time and flush it . . . and I’m bored with needing to chase higher and higher system requirements so I can tune the game to minimal settings anyway once I get in to improve performance.

So far, that’s most of why I stick with GW2. The sys requirements aren’t too bad, the grind is softer than other things I could be playing, and I can take breaks down to one day a week when my life gets busy and still make “progress” with whatever I want to be doing . . . mostly.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.