Are we making any PvE balance progress?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khyber.2693

Khyber.2693

At all? (Was gone for a few weeks, havent yet seen what the new patch offers.)

Never understood why Anet has not balanced each game mode individually. Or prioritized PvE. This game will never be an e sport so just balance us all for PvE.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Never understood why Anet has not balanced each game mode individually. Or prioritized PvE. This game will never be an e sport so just balance us all for PvE.

Um. No to the balance question, and no to balancing everything around fighting a computer controlled loot biscuit(?!?).

Warriors, Mesmers, and Guards remain the best PvE classes by a far and large margin.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Yep, warrior, guardian, mesmer is the trinity at the moment. I’ve long advocated more work around balance in terms of the professions, but now it seems open world PvE balance is the major area out of order. The 4/30 patch made Orr a mess. Today, I ventured there and a champ risen wraith stayed up for two DE’s as the “heroic” folk there refused to stop feeding their life to him so he could despawn. It’s sad when the best strategy around combat is to stay out of combat.

Khyber.2693

Yep, warrior, guardian, mesmer is the trinity at the moment. I’ve long advocated more work around balance in terms of the professions, but now it seems open world PvE balance is the major area out of order. The 4/30 patch made Orr a mess. Today, I ventured there and a champ risen wraith stayed up for two DE’s as the “heroic” folk there refused to stop feeding their life to him so he could despawn. It’s sad when the best strategy around combat is to stay out of combat.

Orr has major issues in my opinion:

a.) The champions guarding certain areas are kind of ridiculous. You should’t have to kill a champion to get a skill challenge. It is called a skill challenge for a reason.

b.) Respawn rates are too high.

c.) Waypoints are almost always contested.

d.) Because of the waypoints always being contested you have to trudge through a sea of risen that play freaking hot potato with your body.

e.) Loot is constantly nerfed which makes people not want to go to Orr.

My point? Orr is a hot mess and deserves a thread of its own lol.

Khyber.2693

Um. No to the balance question, and no to balancing everything around fighting a computer controlled loot biscuit(?!?).

Warriors, Mesmers, and Guards remain the best PvE classes by a far and large margin.

So it is better to balance around something that is never played? Oi.

The problem is that defense is useless in this game. Everyone just avoides the obvious red circles and one hit moves and they are okay. So naturally utility and damage are most important. My suggestion? Make stuff harder to dodge, make bossekitten harder, get rid of the condition cap, fix pets.

We don’t need to nerf the big three, we need to make a more healthy mix of classes viable.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

The problem is that defense is useless in this game. Everyone just avoides the obvious red circles and one hit moves and they are okay. So naturally utility and damage are most important. My suggestion? Make stuff harder to dodge, make bossekitten harder, get rid of the condition cap, fix pets.

We don’t need to nerf the big three, we need to make a more healthy mix of classes viable.

I dunno about you, but we have queues in WvW quite frequently, and always in EB. I dunno how hundreds upon hundreds of people from each server signifies as dead…

If you were talking about arena PvP, yea that was dead before it even took off. Arena style PvP was done when WoW butchered it starting from Season 1.

And I completely agree with you, we don’t need to nerf those 3, the other classes should be brought up to the same damage and utility instead.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Khyber.2693

I dunno about you, but we have queues in WvW quite frequently, and always in EB. I dunno how hundreds upon hundreds of people from each server signifies as dead…

If you were talking about arena PvP, yea that was dead before it even took off. Arena style PvP was done when WoW butchered it starting from Season 1.

And I completely agree with you, we don’t need to nerf those 3, the other classes should be brought up to the same damage and utility instead.

Yes I was mainly talking about PvP, not WvW.

Anet just needs to make balance seperate for each mode, that way everyone can be happy.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

a.) The champions guarding certain areas are kind of ridiculous. You should’t have to kill a champion to get a skill challenge. It is called a skill challenge for a reason.

d.) Because of the waypoints always being contested you have to trudge through a sea of risen that play freaking hot potato with your body.

Well said this

And i agree with the OP PvE is a hot mess too, so is WvW but i never go there these days.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

be faithful…
Next balancing patch will nerf PvE ranger due to PvP and then finally 90% of the pve community will be compact rather than writing L2p everywhere….

Maybe then we will have some PvE attention?

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Myxo.7263

Myxo.7263

I like Orr a LOT actully … some points to make your live more fun in Orr ^^

a) champions guarding a skill challange → making the skill point a challenge? → plasphemy ^^
- ask for help … almost always there is someone to help you (we are playing an mmo^^)
- use Stelth !! … if you dont have any, ask for mesmer and thiefs (we are playing an mmo^^) use spy kits …

b) respawn of what is to high? … i assume that is personal preference but outside from events there are almost never more than 2-3 enemys at your neck ^^ …
just my personal opinion … but never had problems wuth respawn rate

c) we are fighting in hell … in a dragon infestet area … at the end of the game … lvl 80 zone … there are waypoints that are always uncontested

d) use stun break, stealth, condition removal, speed, doge, your pet/minion/illusion/sumoning as aggro relieve …

e) i dont know if thats true … i do not say it isnt ^^ … but there are still a lot of people farming … so it cant be toooooooooooo bad

We are playing at the end zone, in a dragon infested hell, at lvl 80 … IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY ^^

have fun … and take a challange as it is … a challenge ^^

Posted by: Arrow.3856

Arrow.3856

I like Orr a LOT actully … some points to make your live more fun in Orr ^^

a) champions guarding a skill challange -> making the skill point a challenge? -> plasphemy ^^
- ask for help … almost always there is someone to help you (we are playing an mmo^^)
- use Stelth !! … if you dont have any, ask for mesmer and thiefs (we are playing an mmo^^) use spy kits …

b) respawn of what is to high? … i assume that is personal preference but outside from events there are almost never more than 2-3 enemys at your neck ^^ …
just my personal opinion … but never had problems wuth respawn rate

c) we are fighting in hell … in a dragon infestet area … at the end of the game … lvl 80 zone … there are waypoints that are always uncontested

d) use stun break, stealth, condition removal, speed, doge, your pet/minion/illusion/sumoning as aggro relieve …

e) i dont know if thats true … i do not say it isnt ^^ … but there are still a lot of people farming … so it cant be toooooooooooo bad

We are playing at the end zone, in a dragon infested hell, at lvl 80 … IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE EASY ^^

have fun … and take a challange as it is … a challenge ^^

Are you trolling right now? I seriously can not tell. If you are not then I must assume you have not been to Orr recently. Orr is horrible! It was meant to be a place where end game people can farm events as a zerg but then they added something they thought was clever (diminishing returns). This left no use for Orr but to be a place where it is visited for things like map completion, karma vendors. If you go into Cursed Shore now and type “who is on this map” enough times, you might get one person to say “no one, no point on being on this map”. The fact is Orr is useless and although it might sound cool to have a map that is infested with risen, that can beat you if more then 2 take you on, because Orr is a ruined city of the dead but putting a champion infront of a skill challange or having every WP contested with no one around to uncontest them is pointless.

People should not have to wait and guest other servers that have uncontested balth/grenth. We chose our server for a reason. Everything you are basing your points on seem to have no first hand experience or pre-patch.

be faithful…
Next balancing patch will nerf PvE ranger due to PvP and then finally 90% of the pve community will be compact rather than writing L2p everywhere….

Maybe then we will have some PvE attention?

Who said they will be nerfing PVE ranger? If that happens they might aswell remove all classes but war, guard and mes… then we can have the oddly shaped trio. Tank, Dps and …portal

“I may not be a horse whisperer, but I certainly
can and do speak to unicorns.” (Arrow The
Unicorn)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Who said they will be nerfing PVE ranger? If that happens they might aswell remove all classes but war, guard and mes… then we can have the oddly shaped trio. Tank, Dps and …portal

Portal and Time Wrap!

Posted by: Arrow.3856

Arrow.3856

Portal and Time Wrap!

AHh thats right my bad.

“I may not be a horse whisperer, but I certainly
can and do speak to unicorns.” (Arrow The
Unicorn)

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

you have a strange vision of how mesmers are overpowered in this game, i may be the worst mesmer in the world since i suck at jumping puzzles, i take for ever to kill mobs, i loot less than my ranger etc.
only because we have time warp, that actually has been nerfed to work only on 5 people at a time, and btw timewarp still benefits other not only the mesmer who cast it ( so i don’t know why you are complaining about it), often i cast a timewarp and for some reason in pve don’t affect me, but i assume affect other 5 players… who cares, i’m not that selfish.

mesmer used to have a lot more confusion attacks in the beginning, now we have it only on shatter and on scepter, unless, we activate combo fields and specific traits and confusion was never overpower in pve and now thanks to all this pvp whiners we benefit from confusion even less…

my opinion is that people read somewhere that guardian, warrior and mesmer are overpowered and than go for that. my ranger is not less powered than my mesmer, or i can’t see much difference in pve, and i must say in some occasion specifically in pve i think the ranger is more useful due to his range.

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

I agree that Orr has issues – imo the issue is Anet did not deliver on the pre-release hype of the players working together to take back the island gradually. Instead they ‘nerfed it for casuals’ and events are mostly unrelated to each other, as is the state of one zone to the next. There was talk about ‘the retaking of Orr’ taking weeks, now the various areas flip back and forth independently a few times per day.

The problem of course is that they had no other max level content and the flawed scaling (both in loot and difficulty), so you cant make Orr the way it was described 2-3 years ago without having a casual whinefest on the forum the size of the Everest.

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Even with a team with no mesmers, guardians, or warriors PvE is laughably easy. Why are you concerned with balance in PvE with such a low level of skill required?

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

They nerfed PvE elementalist DPS, survivability AND antiprojectiles in 1 single patch.
And same sorta for engineers

Just to completely delete from game even subpar replacements for the war/guard duo.

This made warriors and guardians even more OP and mandatory they were before.

Now Ranger is an issue in PvP….do you think they will change method?

@NOwalking
Would you like to show us a team without guardians and warriors completing fotm 48?
:D

Funny thing is to see WWW and PvP players to fail miserably at “easy” PvE…..its quite common.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

this ^

Pretty much sums it up. apparently, they still haven’t hired an ex-military advisor so they can actually correct the large number of mistakes they made with the engineer’s gear and weaponry on land. (much less addressed the 19 pages of bugs) In some things they’ve actually broken the skills, kit refinement is a complete disaster now.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!