Are we not allowed to earn gold?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

Now Dungeon are kitten slow to build up enough tokens to buy anything. I wish there was a scaled diffecult system almost like the fractals with a higher drop rate as you get to higher levels cause it’s hard enough to get a group together to run 1 dungeon run rather then 3 (that’s like 3 – 4 hours for 120 – 150 tokens).

Maybe 3-4 hours for Arah, but not other dungeons (depending on group’s ability, but most PUGs I’ve run with are fairly good at running now). A full non-Arah explore dungeon run can take around 1 – 2 hours of your time (or less), give you 78s and 180 tokens (which can buy 1 of the exotic pieces in a set priced at 180 tokens… and there are 3 pieces in an armor set that are priced at 180 tokens) just from finishing the paths. By the time you factor in vendoring and selling certain things to the TP that you found in drops, you’ve easily walked away with close to 2g.

::EDIT:: The flipside being, the more people doing this and not getting mats, the higher priced the mats go as supply is low yet we’ve only pumped more gold into the system.

(edited by Bruno Sardine.2907)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

this falls in line with anet’s anti grind policy. i admit that at times there are grey areas when it comes to interpretation or implementation of their manifesto, which as we have seen, has evolved, though the wording on the document stays the same.

That may be the theory but in practice all it does is make the grind worse, people still grind but they have to do it for longer. All the attractive loot in the game requires gold or a grind for mats so people still grind for both.

anet has repeatedly shown us(in both blatant and ninja-like forms) that they want us to explore the world, experience the richness of the story-telling, the art that was created and the music composed for our enjoyment.

And then they create fractals and because of the rewards a large part of the player base is shoehorned into it away from the world.

If they want players to be out in the world they’ve got to do more with DEs.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

Bruno Sardine.2907

this falls in line with anet’s anti grind policy. i admit that at times there are grey areas when it comes to interpretation or implementation of their manifesto, which as we have seen, has evolved, though the wording on the document stays the same.

That may be the theory but in practice all it does is make the grind worse, people still grind but they have to do it for longer. All the attractive loot in the game requires gold or a grind for mats so people still grind for both.

The say the grind isn’t mandatory and it isn’t…. as you put it, they just throw some cosmetic appeal and stats to make you want to pursue rares/exotics/ascended/legendary over your blues/greens.

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Now Dungeon are kitten slow to build up enough tokens to buy anything. I wish there was a scaled diffecult system almost like the fractals with a higher drop rate as you get to higher levels cause it’s hard enough to get a group together to run 1 dungeon run rather then 3 (that’s like 3 – 4 hours for 120 – 150 tokens).

Maybe 3-4 hours for Arah, but not other dungeons (depending on group’s ability, but most PUGs I’ve run with are fairly good at running now). A full non-Arah explore dungeon run can take around 1 – 2 hours of your time (or less), give you 78s and 180 tokens (which can buy 1 of the exotic pieces in a set priced at 180 tokens… and there are 3 pieces in an armor set that are priced at 180 tokens) just from finishing the paths. By the time you factor in vendoring and selling certain things to the TP that you found in drops, you’ve easily walked away with close to 2g.

::EDIT:: The flipside being, the more people doing this and not getting mats, the higher priced the mats go as supply is low yet we’ve only pumped more gold into the system.

Clearly I need to find some more dungeon going veterans. Most groups I’ve tried with take about 45 to an hour per path.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

there is no fun way to make money in this game. it is all a repetitive grind.

Or playing the TP.

But no thanks, I want to play Guild Wars 2, not Wall Street.
I never had any problems so huge in making money in any other MMO (and I played a lot of them), this is way too frustrating.

Bruno Sardine.2907

@Tab

Might be hard now given they’ve gone to fractals… AC isn’t too bad. While it might lack gear with “desirable stats”, you can definitely do that in close to an hour or less and most gold/boss mobs drop silver. The loot isn’t too bad as well, though not sure if there’s a potential for any core/lodestone drops.

Posted by: tyu.9470

tyu.9470

Plinx was NEVER the best way to earn gold. Ever. Apart from that yeah they dont want us to earn gold i guess.

Posted by: Peets.8529

Peets.8529

Why is everyone so obsessed about making gold?
Isn’t the point of playing a game to have fun?
Is it a race to get the most gold so you can buy what?
Stop farming and start playing the game, you will stop getting disappointed.
Otherwise find a farm game.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

90% of items right now sell for 1 copper over what you can sell them to a vendor.

i love made up statistics.

oddly, anything i buy from the TP doesnt fall into this “90%”

It’s quite possibly close to true, because 90% of the items on the TP are things no one wants.

see, you can prove the truth of made up statistics using other made up statistics (and get a job as a journalist!!)

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

Plinx was NEVER the best way to earn gold. Ever. Apart from that yeah they dont want us to earn gold i guess.

I agree

The Iron Butterfly

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

I don’t farm. I also don’t have any gold for flashy weapons. I can keep my level 80 Rare armor repaired. I may be able to buy 3 pieces of exotic armor. But it will be the wrong spec.

This game ( PVE ) is a disappointment.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

anet has repeatedly shown us(in both blatant and ninja-like forms) that they want us to explore the world, experience the richness of the story-telling, the art that was created and the music composed for our enjoyment.

And then they create fractals and because of the rewards a large part of the player base is shoehorned into it away from the world.

If they want players to be out in the world they’ve got to do more with DEs.

adding vertical gear progression with RNG largely determining if you get to advance is surely what is fragmenting the player base. this is hopefully being addressed because i too see this as a HUGE flaw from the otherwise hugely entertaining minidungeons.

you’re also right about the de’s, but there is no way to implement a system where it is truly dynamic and the rewards so good that everyone will be happy. the problem is that not everyone can be on whenever they want/good de chain starts.

say for instance a new de is developed for each zone. i’m not going to try and guess how long or complex the process is for a multi-directional de chain would be, but a choose your own adventure style de would be great. even better if each zone had a unique buff that once the de chain were completed, would last maybe 30 minutes and boost mf in kessex, harvesting in metrica, salvaging in mount maelstrom, etc. that would give players more incentive to complete de’s, visit low zones if the buff were good enough, etc.

the problem is when these do start and they must be spaced out randomly but no shorter than 3hours apart to give a truly dynamic feel, no one can be on if say a de chain can only happen once a day and they are at work, etc. but this is supposed to mimic real life in a sense that dynamic events happen at WILL in a living world, like ours. you can’t predict when something is going to on sale and if you’re at work and miss out on that 73" LED flatscreen, well, that’s life. you get mad, you move on.

i don’t understand that about players in this game. they get mad and stay mad…

(edited by kiba.2768)

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

Because sometimes you can’t have fun without money in real life, just like in this game.

The Iron Butterfly

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

you can STILL earn gold. Do NOT grind. Grinding is not fun and will only make you rage. Select an activity that you like – fractals, jumping puzzles, exploration, WvW, dungeons. Harvest EVERYTHING. If you have a profession – do not sell mats meant for that profession. If you’re getting low level mats in the area that you’re leveling in and rushed your profession forward, do not buy, wait till you go to the area where you get those mats. Buy only if you need lower level mats then you’re getting. Now if you’re certain that you will not have a profession that require the mats that you’re getting you can sell those. Example: if I’m a leatherworker and am not planning on getting a jeweler I will sell jewels that I’m getting from mining. Only salvage if it’s worth it. If you’re getting green/ yellow drops that sell for good coin, sell them, not salvage. Exploration gives the best rewards really.
My main and one of my alts are level 80 and now I’m mostly enjoying running dungeons and running fractals. On a good day my income would be 2G/ hour. However I don’t expect that. I don’t expect good days, so I run just to have fun.
Never concentrate on the idea that you NEED money. Try to relax and just play to have fun. Eventually you’ll be able to buy or make the things that you want to get the money for, however they’re not going to run away. If you will concentrate on just getting money you’ll have no fun.

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

If you will concentrate on just getting money you’ll have no fun.

When you’ve pretty much done everything in the game and all that’s left is the shiny legendary skins, it’s hard not to focus on getting money.

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

Im guessing that you are using the gold for creating a legendary but just a guess. Are we allowed to make gold? Yes for a player with average wants such as me. Having bought exotic amulets, trinks, rings to achieve full exo, a bank slot, a charactet slot, keeping an alt in gear within five levels, and having 3g left over Im happy with my gold income. Im happy with my 3g. You must be doing something more higher end like making a legendary in which case I can understand your frustration in making gold as Ive prob made just 30g by messing around since launch.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Its as simple as this… grinding gold cuts into their revenue earning potential. The last thing they want to do is have you trade gold you farmed for gems instead of purchasing them through their store. Is this explanation clear enough for you?

Posted by: Grav.4790

Grav.4790

I always wonder if this game was sub based we would get less time/gold sinks.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

When you’ve pretty much done everything in the game and all that’s left is the shiny legendary skins, it’s hard not to focus on getting money.

You misunderstood, I think. Making money isn’t the issue, it’s devoting everything to doing it at the expense of fun times. In other words, find a way to make money while having fun rather than sacrificing your fun to make a little more money a little quicker.

. . . and yes, I’m aware it’s almost a cliched way of saying it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

You misunderstood, I think. Making money isn’t the issue, it’s devoting everything to doing it at the expense of fun times. In other words, find a way to make money while having fun rather than sacrificing your fun to make a little more money a little quicker.

. . . and yes, I’m aware it’s almost a cliched way of saying it.

The problem with that way of thinking is who decides whats fun and why. The cliche’ “its their game so they decide whats fun”. Be warned that way of thinking opens up all sorts of anecdotal what if’s.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Yah, I agree it’s tedious. It’s all about grind. And if you check thier manifesto video on YouTube now, you’ll see that they disabled comments. Really? Shame on you….all I have to say.

Something is changing and it’s not good. It’s like they have become open only to good reposes, and delete bad ones.

Posted by: EliteZ.1682

EliteZ.1682

I don’t see why people are moaning about gold? I have never spent hours farming on this game, i’ve farmed dungeons before, but mainly for the tokens the gold is just a bonus. I also would like to point out i don’t play the TP nor do i play stupidly amount of hours a day, most days i get maybe 4-5 hours? Some days as little as 2 hours. Yet i’ve got T3 on my character and still had 30g left over after buying it. I’ve never had problems with low money, lvling up i always had over 1g, i’ve never had to think “dam i don’t have enough money to pay my repair bills” and i mostly do dungeons as i prefer that side of the game.

The way i see it, gold isn’t important in this game imo. I’ve got my T3, i’ve got the weapons that i want so the only thing i need my gold for now is repairs and waypoints, but i don’t use waypoints unless I have to. So unless you want one of these over priced weapons or a legendary (lucky i think the legendary weapons in GW2 are some of the worst skins in the game so i don’t need to worry about those) i don’t see why money is such a issue.

Also people saying you don’t get good money from FoTM i did from lvl 1-6 and got about 7-8g from it. Mostly from lodestones and rares. But i only did FoTM the day after it came out and have not been on GW2 since as i’ve been busy doing other stuff, so maybe lodestones have taken a huge drop in price

(edited by EliteZ.1682)

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Add to this the bug/nerf to drop rates than means Jofast/Shelter/Pent event runs now earn you below 50s per hour (38s/h when I logged off last night) … earning gold in the game has become alot harder. I miss the days where I could earn 10g per session in Cursed Shores, they are long gone.

Posted by: Tad.4109

Tad.4109

this is my personal opinion….but i feel like the hardcore gamers want what they want right now and if they don’t have it, they throw a tantrum, which usually involves ranting here on the forums and has a collateral damaging effect on other players who read their posts.

if you’re no longer having fun…why play? this game has a rather large audience from casual mmo player to grindfest mmo player to dungeon crawler and people after ‘phat lewtz.’ anet can’t please everyone so invariably, someone will get angry. if those players don’t vibe with this game…go play something else.

i agree with this as well. the sense of entitlement some players have (i want it, therefore ArenaNet should give it to me) boggles my mind. if a player wants to make money in GW2, then said player needs to learn how the game economy works (note: there are plenty of great threads on this in the Black Lion sub-forum). it is possible to make money in this game, and it is possible to have a heck of lot of fun doing it. i am certainly not a rich player, but i’ve carved out a healthy living and have had a lot fun doing so.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Its as simple as this… grinding gold cuts into their revenue earning potential.

Won’t argue. This was the first FTP I paid money for upfront ($60), probably never again. Fool me once… Not saying I won’t play pure FTP, but at least there you can test for $0 and get up and going ok for usually around $15. Call me ole fashion, I prefer a $15 monthly with no cash shop at all. I’m not sure they exist anymore, but they did at one point.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

theres no grind all is a myth, you realize this after seeing not rewarding loot from -insert loot source- plus with this diminish returns thing…

btw cash shop makes faster revenue than monthly fee, if is more or less will depend in the ammount of people

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

@OP, you make alot of statements and this particular one among many caught my eye, why would a person, not a bot player, boxer or gold farmer make this statement?

""""Then, because of the bots ( presumably, since ArenaNet is biased against them and is responsible for introducing new stuff), Diminishing Returns was implemented, and we earned less""""

The word “biased” and “we”, who is we? and why would you even remotely state Anet is biased about bots when bots are garbage that ruin a game, any game, and the players that use them are garbage. You should be praising Anet, not calling them biased as this makes you look suspicious.

When you state “we” , are you referencing other gamers or gold farmers or other bots? This is a highly suspicious thread and from the the context as typed i have to assume the OP is a disgruntled gold farmer/bot user, you simply left too many tells and freudian slips in your post.

As for the DR, a much more complex problem as it is tied in with so many of the games dev created mechanics, can be eliminated by simply making all money bind to character or account and only usable to buy things from the TP in a limited way, read, non tradable, only gold sellers would rant negatively about this. A long list of materials of all levels needs to be bind to account if they have anything to do with quest weapons or armor, period. Allowing crafted items to be sold one time and bind on purchase per account would also alleviate the need to nerf drops, as other things would be available for trade and market manipulation, like seaweed and such chuckle.

Making weapons and armor wear out, regardless of what level it is would make a semi working economy and provide a plausible reason to increase drops/gold for the devs other than have player hoard low drop items and turn into a farmer. But then the game mechanics created by the devs are the problem, not the players. Bad devs create bad players. To back that statement up i have only to reference the stupid low drop rates aside from the DR, the number “250”, and quest items tied to DR and the TP in the first place.

The devs can fix alot of things, they just do not want to, like differentiating types of drops for any multitude of things that do not directly impact the gameplay and economy combined, but then this might close the gap between gamers and farmers….and Anet does not want that.

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

I want to make gold.
In a reasonable fast way.
Without legendary precursors being 400g.

I want to farm in a area with mobs that drop a specific mat or item that i know will net me money.

I want to farm in an area so i can get t6 mats to make exotics to salvage, or sell.

I want to make gold. To be the best.

And im not a bot or gold seller.

I honestly think they nerfed gold to make gems > gold more attractive.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I want to make gold.

I want to farm in a area with mobs that drop a specific mat or item that i know will net me money.

I want to farm in an area so i can get t6 mats to make exotics to salvage, or sell.

Except that if they lowered the bar as far as you’re asking, “the best” would become the new average

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: exionn.8152

exionn.8152

you how rare drop rates were decreased last month by a lot, which was a huuuggee hit. anyway, i totally agree with you, making gold of farming or grinding is nearly impossible now. only way to make gold now is play the trade post, and that’s pretty kitteny for a mmo.

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

I want to make gold.

Except that if they lowered the bar as far as you’re asking, “the best” would become the new average

I play an average of 5hours a day. I can net around 10g.

Precursors cause 150g 400g.

Not including mats.

I’m asking for a modest removal of DR thats all.
How will the bar be low?

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

I want to make gold.

And im not a bot or gold seller.

I honestly think they nerfed gold to make gems > gold more attractive.

Whenever Ive wanted to make gold, Ive never found it difficult. I have no desire for a legendary, its just above my level of want in this game. If I did, I would think of it as a goal to be reached slowly, cumulatively over the time period of about a year. The issue with shinies is that non hardcore players see them and want them without doing hardcore things. If I want charged cores and lodestones..there are dungeons and mobs that drop them. Honestly there is little need to make money in this game if you are not going after your legendary or another skin. If you dont want to do hardcore playing..then you arent going to get hardcore rewards in hardcore time. I dont see the problem with that..alot of people do though.

Posted by: zigzag.3960

zigzag.3960

Its as simple as this… grinding gold cuts into their revenue earning potential. The last thing they want to do is have you trade gold you farmed for gems instead of purchasing them through their store. Is this explanation clear enough for you?

this +1000

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

if you’re no longer having fun…why play? this game has a rather large audience from casual mmo player to grindfest mmo player to dungeon crawler and people after ‘phat lewtz.’ anet can’t please everyone so invariably, someone will get angry. if those players don’t vibe with this game…go play something else.

This is the same snide comment made when others including myself tied to tell Bioware that they had serious issues with swtor. And guess what? EVERYONE did leave and play another game, so be kitten sure you want what you’re asking for here. You want everyone who has an issue with the game to bail ROFL you’d be like the hardcore swtor lovers who watched the game rot and die.

Guild Wars 2 is MY game, it is YOUR game too. We bought the game we play the game so when someone takes the time to point out a serious flaw in the loot system in an MMO that recently nerfed drops, be silent of you’re not coming up with solutions.

The drop rates are a joke roll back to September rates pre loot pinata patch, there, problem solved. See how easy it is when you’re constructive?

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Sure, we are allowed to earn gold. But only in fractals.

All is vain.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

if they wanted you to grind out gold, they would have left all those mechanisms alone. the fact that they did away with these methods proves that they don’t want you sitting in the same zone for hours at a time, whether it be making gold or doing something else. granted, player expectations vary wildly in both directions for what is considered fun. some love grinding, some don’t.

this is my personal opinion….but i feel like the hardcore gamers want what they want right now and if they don’t have it, they throw a tantrum, which usually involves ranting here on the forums and has a collateral damaging effect on other players who read their posts.

An example of a GOOD policy for gamers in terms of the wording of the A-Net’s original expected manifesto intentions:

“We believe that if things are too long, boring and grindy and repetitive then it’s not fun. We don’t want that and we’ll avoid it at all costs”

And example of what players are perceiving the manifesto’s wordings and how they should be possibly cleared up

“We don’t want you grinding, cos you complain about it. So we’ll make grinding so laborious, time consuming and ineffectual, that it won’t be worth your time”

Both can be simply said as “We don’t want you to grind, grindings not fun”

As for the encouragement to go to other content, explore areas etc. Lets look at that statement a little more closely shall we?

We are encouraged to go to other areas and to enjoy the etc etc etc:

If this was the case, why are the exploration rewards one off events, if it’s not somewhat repeatable even on a broad cycle once every now and then etc, then it’s a one time deal thus it’s a finite method, ultimately the farming… is a renewable resource and thus stays constant.

The artwork is great, the storytelling is ok and the richness of the environ… wait… these are all aesthetics, and there’s little merit to these when the issue with boredom comes from gameplay shortcomings and usually at endgame… if you really feel that those are the merits the game should go by, then you’re better off switching mediums yourself to movie and theater and leaving the gaming industry to those that don’t force all of their attention on pure aesthetics, that’s how soulless and bad games get made IMHO…

Also, please stop inferring that the answer to player issues with the game is to stop playing it, they paid for the game, and they would like to continue to do so without halting the constant drive for improvement and evolution as all persistent online games should always contain. You can’t please everyone, but that in NO way, infers you should stop trying to. That’s how we end up with lazy development ideas like “inevitable achievements” that pop up because you simply logged into the game once or some other menial task.

@aidanwolf:

I don’t agree with the mild antagonism towards the poster you’re quoting, but you’re right in regards to them having their priorities very skewed.
If we were to listen to players like this, then every game would be a “TORtanic” and they’d be the only ones floating out on the deserted servers.
Some folks don’t seem to get that demanding better drives improvements, and sitting there like cattle and saying “oh it’s fine” merely causes stagnation.

The answer that “If you’re not going for a legendary then you shouldn’t be farming/grinding” would hold far more true if there was something ELSE to strive for aside from the usual answer of “make your own fun”

It was about a month after release that someone had posted a video about “things to do in GW2” and a lot of the ideas were really that sort of based on that mentality.
Yes to a child a cardboard box is a fun thing to play with, but if you pay 60 bucks for that box and it’s hailed as the most revolutionary box in decades, it sure as hell is going to be a disappointment when you realize that “imagination” is sold separately

Irony…. xD

(edited by Hellkaiser.6025)

Posted by: VampyreSix.8316

VampyreSix.8316

I read the first post and have one reply for you… ITs all designed to make you buy gems to convert them to gold.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Common misconception:

“He plays for 10 hours a day, he must be swimming in gold”

Reality from the perspective of a player in that situation:

“I could farm for gold, but that’s insanely boring and not my idea of fun, I’ll instead spvp as there’s no commitment to the game and it’s kinda fun and random but repeatable”

Irony…. xD

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

there was ways to make gold and item farm but ‘’wasnt as intended’’

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Truth is everyone can’t make loads of money. If you want be rich someone else must be poor.
If there is an easy way to make money everyone will be “rich” and nothing has changed.

If you want get gold play market or try to figure out your own farming method.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

So long answer is no they dont want you to have gold. They want you dependent on them for you next fix/grind.

like any other commercial company.

In your previous post you shout: " IT IS JUST A GAME NOT YOUR REAL JOB! ", now you are saying it’s just business. You seem to be all over the map on this one.

you are taking things out of context. do not do that because then you make others look like they are liars wich they are not. the “shout” was about grinders doing grinding for a living (ingame) the quoted part, if you read proper, is not about the grinders/farmers or whatever you call them, it is about a business e.g. a-net or any other commercial business.
i for one look at it from several ways.

Mirta.5029

This is the same snide comment made when others including myself tied to tell Bioware that they had serious issues with swtor. And guess what? EVERYONE did leave and play another game, so be kitten sure you want what you’re asking for here. You want everyone who has an issue with the game to bail ROFL you’d be like the hardcore swtor lovers who watched the game rot and die.

Guild Wars 2 is MY game, it is YOUR game too. We bought the game we play the game so when someone takes the time to point out a serious flaw in the loot system in an MMO that recently nerfed drops, be silent of you’re not coming up with solutions.

The drop rates are a joke roll back to September rates pre loot pinata patch, there, problem solved. See how easy it is when you’re constructive?

I know a person that is still playing SWTOR and is enjoying it. 80% of SWTOR players left in protest because of Mass Effect 3. There were even forums and videos about it at the time.
What I’m seeing on the forums is a lot of entitled whinners. “It’s all because of the cash shop”, “I want them to remove dungeons”, “I’m saying that this game is all about grinding, but when they introduced an anti grind policy I’m going to tell them that they did everything wrong”. There’s no satisfying these people. The same way that yesterday on the stream of Kerbal Space program some people started swearing and threatening the developers because they were showing a Kerbal maker instead of the game. They were also rushing devs to release it, even though you can buy and play in beta and receive FREE upgrades that are expanding the game. You know what they got in return? They got told that if they decide to be kitten again they will be blocked. ArenaNet is too patient. Plus I bet if they would say that people would rage with “I’m quiting then”. Well quit. I personally want them to quit. Maybe if 40% of the players left we would have an enjoyable game where people are glad about the free content and not whinning like a little prick.

Posted by: leprekan.7248

leprekan.7248

I know a person that is still playing SWTOR and is enjoying it. 80% of SWTOR players left in protest because of Mass Effect 3. There were even forums and videos about it at the time.
What I’m seeing on the forums is a lot of entitled whinners. “It’s all because of the cash shop”, “I want them to remove dungeons”, “I’m saying that this game is all about grinding, but when they introduced an anti grind policy I’m going to tell them that they did everything wrong”. There’s no satisfying these people. The same way that yesterday on the stream of Kerbal Space program some people started swearing and threatening the developers because they were showing a Kerbal maker instead of the game. They were also rushing devs to release it, even though you can buy and play in beta and receive FREE upgrades that are expanding the game. You know what they got in return? They got told that if they decide to be kitten again they will be blocked. ArenaNet is too patient. Plus I bet if they would say that people would rage with “I’m quiting then”. Well quit. I personally want them to quit. Maybe if 40% of the players left we would have an enjoyable game where people are glad about the free content and not whinning like a little prick.

Two words should be avoided at all costs … “entitled” and “entitlement” they make the user look like a lemming that parrots current trends in political jargon. Sorry but the use of these word became popular by Republicans slinging rhetoric for people that lack the ability to use critical thinking.

Those “entitlement” programs that are “out of money” are not out of money because of legitimate use. Congress borrowed 2.7 TRILLION dollars out of them and did not repay it … there is your shortfall. Feel free to use Google and educate yourself before continuing to use either of those words and making yourself appear to be yet another lemming on the jargon bandwagon.

As to the OP … agreed. DR and farmcode is soul crushing at best. It also looks bad when the game company actually sells gold if they LIMIT how much you can generate by playing in a legitimate fashion. There is nothing worse than killing a mob and having NOTHING drop. They preach no grind and that is the very epitome of GRIND.

Why does a player need gold? Want tier 3 armor? You need gold. Want a commander icon? You need gold. Want a legendary? You need over 1 THOUSAND gold. Anet most definitely coded a NEED for gold into the game. When they limit and SELL at the same time it is very easy for people to view them in a very negative light.

I am personally down to grinding gold for my precursor (dusk) and have all other objectives completed. Unfortunately the price of the precursor is out pacing my capacity to generate gold. Yes, that is a REAL issue to me and all the other people in the same boat that I am in.

Why do I need a legendary? I don’t and neither do you. However, we don’t need anything in this MMO or any other MMO now do we. The legendary is about as cool looking as you can get in this game and the devs went all out making them (thank you Anet) so I would actually question those that don’t try to get one before I would get all high and mighty and play the “you don’t have to get one” card.

Anet created a need for gold. We are happy to grind for it … for God’s sakes take the boat anchor off us and let us do it.

A Yak since headstart. [herm]

Mirta.5029

Two words should be avoided at all costs … “entitled” and “entitlement” they make the user look like a lemming that parrots current trends in political jargon. Sorry but the use of these word became popular by Republicans slinging rhetoric for people that lack the ability to use critical thinking.

Those “entitlement” programs that are “out of money” are not out of money because of legitimate use. Congress borrowed 2.7 TRILLION dollars out of them and did not repay it … there is your shortfall. Feel free to use Google and educate yourself before continuing to use either of those words and making yourself appear to be yet another lemming on the jargon bandwagon.

As to the OP … agreed. DR and farmcode is soul crushing at best. It also looks bad when the game company actually sells gold if they LIMIT how much you can generate by playing in a legitimate fashion. There is nothing worse than killing a mob and having NOTHING drop. They preach no grind and that is the very epitome of GRIND.

Why does a player need gold? Want tier 3 armor? You need gold. Want a commander icon? You need gold. Want a legendary? You need over 1 THOUSAND gold. Anet most definitely coded a NEED for gold into the game. When they limit and SELL at the same time it is very easy for people to view them in a very negative light.

I am personally down to grinding gold for my precursor (dusk) and have all other objectives completed. Unfortunately the price of the precursor is out pacing my capacity to generate gold. Yes, that is a REAL issue to me and all the other people in the same boat that I am in.

Why do I need a legendary? I don’t and neither do you. However, we don’t need anything in this MMO or any other MMO now do we. The legendary is about as cool looking as you can get in this game and the devs went all out making them (thank you Anet) so I would actually question those that don’t try to get one before I would get all high and mighty and play the “you don’t have to get one” card.

Anet created a need for gold. We are happy to grind for it … for God’s sakes take the boat anchor off us and let us do it.

The problem is with the word “grinding”. Why do you feel the need to grind? I did practically nothing yesterday – ran fractals twice, ran AC once and played WvW for about 4 hours. I got 9 rares (I’m geared for magic find) and I sold them for 6G. 6G in a day is not bad in my opinion. And then I hear about how people can’t make money.

Posted by: Apathy.6430

Apathy.6430

there is no fun way to make money in this game. it is all a repetitive grind.

Making money in every game is a repetitive grind.

There is literally no other way for it to exist. If everyone gets a lot of money just from playing, the prices of things will just go up to compensate, and the people who play the most will have more money.

Apathy.6430

The problem is with the word “grinding”. Why do you feel the need to grind? I did practically nothing yesterday – ran fractals twice, ran AC once and played WvW for about 4 hours. I got 9 rares (I’m geared for magic find) and I sold them for 6G. 6G in a day is not bad in my opinion. And then I hear about how people can’t make money.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous.

I run AC two or three times a night, and usually get 2-3 gold not even factoring in rares.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

^I have a theory.

Actually, gold works the same way in economy than items. It is simple: “The more players have gold, the less it worth.”

Let’s imagine that they implement a new way to get gold: “You get 10 gold every 5 ennemies you kill”. Woaaah! It would be fun, wouldn’t it be?
The fact is, everything on TP would increase. Precursors would worth hundred of thousands of gold instead of a few hundred, etc… Well, a general decrease of the value of gold.
But, if gold decreases, then you need more gold. And killing 5 ennemies again and again would become grindy.

What I want to say, if that, a good amount of gold with fun and without grind in a game, is impossible to get.

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

Gems buy them you will?

This game is grind central and forced at that. In order to make income anet has attacked the player in every feesable way of deriving income with the exception of gold buying.
That keeps you playing longer and longer and that is what they want or you buy gems what they also want.
Fun has nothing to do with this and they dont care if it is fun as long as your grinding the vertical progression dungeon you dont worry about economics cause you have the next level to worry about.

It really is horrific if you think about it. It will get even worse when guild activities (raids) get introduced and the unreal grind and power creep that will happen with that.
So long answer is no they dont want you to have gold. They want you dependent on them for you next fix/grind.

Um… honestly Sir or Ma’am it definitely sounds like you have an agenda or your style resembles that of a far right Fox News nut or a polar opposite far left crackpot. Yes, GW2 pretty much relies solely on micro transactions after the initial upfront cost of your copy. If farming the cash were as easy as, or easier than buying the Gems then, well… I’m sure I don’t need to elaborate on the consequences of such an economic situation.

I think, OP, you may be looking at the situation strictly through “green colored” glasses, which is to say, strictly as it concerns acquiring money and any cause or effect outside of that just plain doesn’t fit in the model you’ve constructed in your mind or doesn’t apply at least. I think what has motivated the changes which have also impacted your wealth acquisition were probably designed more with putting the kybosh on repitious methods by which one could acquire money, meaning methods which could be easily programmed into a “bot” or that you could show any schmo off the street in 15 minutes and then sit them in front of a screen and keyboard. Which curiosly is part of what some may define the term “grinding” as.

The problem is that no clear cut alternative to those “grindy mechanics” that were systematically “fixed” (altered to the point of being pointless that is to say). No “methods” have been added really that qualify as both “unbottable” and lucrative. That much is clearly true.

The TP has just been left to spin off in to some twisted WTF?!?! market crafted end products rarely if ever approach the worth of their constituent components and the RNG even plays a part in determining prices there with you can “bet” on the profit of “Unidentified Dyes” and unopened “goody bags” of all stripes dropped by mobs. It’s become downright wierd and even the pricings that do have any logical factor setting the price are set by some sort of perverse Dr. Seuss type factor.

All that said I’ve found that most of the top-end mats like Powerful Blood, Elaborate Totems, and the like are selling for great profit right now. May staple money making activities these days are to log in, run through Frostgorge and Orr scraping up Ori, Ancient wood, Omnoms, etc. then on to new S. Cove to farm up some of those high end mats. Worthwhile and turns a great profit currently, still not what anyone might consider “fun” though.

Best of luck. Hope that little blurb helps or that you maybe find another method to fill your pockets. Maybe you could come back and share? I’m sure we’re all feeling the same financial pains currently…

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

I agree with much that is being said here. Out of 7 yrs of WOW and Rift,
GW2 takes the cake on the number of people I know buying gold. This is
something I refuse to do for many reasons, but I cant say I blame them since
they are all working people.

Im tired of seeing the “learn to work the auction house” posts on the forums. The
reality of it is that buying gold is like drugs: Most people dont admit to it. Personally,
I think its a huge negative to GW2 on the difficulty of earning gold the honest way.
It prohibits you from having 3-4 toons who are equipped in all exotics.

I really do feel bad for new players to this game. My exotic set costs 10 gold a month
ago, now thats probably up to 25 gold with NO easier ways to make money. In other
words, the costs have gone up massively, but the means to make the money have
seen nothing but nerfs.

Apathy.6430

I really do feel bad for new players to this game. My exotic set costs 10 gold a month
ago, now thats probably up to 25 gold with NO easier ways to make money. In other
words, the costs have gone up massively, but the means to make the money have
seen nothing but nerfs.

lol?

In the past week or so from casually pugging AC EM a few times a night I’ve gathered enough tokens for a full set of armor plus over 20g.