Are we not allowed to earn gold?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

i’m starting to think Bluestone.7106 is trolling us.

I just have a different opinion. Don’t be that person that throws the word troll around just to derail a discussion.

Your opinion is to belittle our experiences by telling us that we are playing the game wrong if we are not making enough money (including dieing to much).

I apologise for my choice of words then, I did not intend to belittle anyone but can understand how that resulted from my choice of words, I will try use different expressions that are hopefully less belittling from now on. Sorry.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Yes, it’s possible to make gold in GW2, but unless you are on the leading edge of each new farm, you will be behind the curve. Just playing the game indeed provides you with enough to repair, respec now and then, and waypoint. It does not provide enough to equip in short order in the current market. Yes, there are people who are swimming in gold, and there are a lot who aren’t.

People need to stop trying to keep up with everyone else then (the curve). Gear is not as important in GW2 as it is in other MMOs. Out-gearing your enemy is a concept from other MMOs that only has a small bearing on gameplay in GW2.

Also, if someone is struggling with gold in GW2 then they shouldn’t be wasting money on buying exotic armor from the TP. There are cheaper ways to get exotic armor such as running dungeons.

I get it, you’re happy with the status quo. Seems like some folks aren’t.

Some people like having the best gear regardless of how much difference it makes or doesn’t make. Running dungeons may not appeal to everyone. GW2 was supposed to be about playing the aspects of the game that appeal to you. Rewards are not a function of time spent, they are very much of function of what you choose to do, and those options are getting smaller.

Yes, no amount of fiddling by the developer is going to equalize returns on time spent across the entire game. However, they could come a lot closer to balancing returns than they are now. They seem to be moving towards funneling players into fewer and fewer avenues. Maybe they are moving towards eliminating anything being lucrative, then rewards will be more balanced.

Bluestone.7106

Some people like having the best gear regardless of how much difference it makes or doesn’t make. Running dungeons may not appeal to everyone. GW2 was supposed to be about playing the aspects of the game that appeal to you. Rewards are not a function of time spent, they are very much of function of what you choose to do, and those options are getting smaller.

Yes, no amount of fiddling by the developer is going to equalize returns on time spent across the entire game. However, they could come a lot closer to balancing returns than they are now. They seem to be moving towards funneling players into fewer and fewer avenues. Maybe they are moving towards eliminating anything being lucrative, then rewards will be more balanced.

People who choose the more expensive ways to acquire gear aren’t in a position to complain about money then really. If they choose to spend 25-50+ gold on an exotic set from the trading post then that is their choice and they should not complain afterwards at their lack of funds when that gold could be in their bank going towards whatever else they want to spend money on if they chose to acquire their exotic gear another way. They don’t like dungeons perhaps so they can buy it sure but they chose the expensive option willingly.

IndigoSundown.5419

People who choose the more expensive ways to acquire gear aren’t in a position to complain about money then really. If they choose to spend 25-50+ gold on an exotic set from the trading post then that is their choice and they should not complain afterwards at their lack of funds when that gold could be in their bank going towards whatever else they want to spend money on if they chose to acquire their exotic gear another way. They don’t like dungeons perhaps so they can buy it sure but they chose the expensive option willingly.

Ah, but that is not the issue. The issue is that people who want to make gold are watching as avenues to do so get closed, one after the other. What is wrong with asking for more ways to earn gold while having fun? Asking worked for the “nothing to do” folks. Exotic is kind of a red herring here anyway. I mentioned those costs only because someone else did and was under-estimating the costs.

Posted by: jdkentucky.2871

jdkentucky.2871

Earning a income is becoming harder and so is the game play for entry players. Less people doing events on the lower end of the player lvl. It is slowly turning into a group player game and solo players will find it harder to accomplish many things… The repair costs are crazy at times and teleport costs are also. As we all know they increase as we increase levels. I am a little dissapointed in the way its going but when I get frustrated with it I will move on to something else to occupy my time.

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Something a little constructive now, how I intend to get around this issue, and the loot drop bug, and make the 600G within a couple of months.

1st – Level 1 character of each profession to 80
2nd – once level 80, get them to FGS, ML, Cursed Shore, and the new island and explore a little to unlock way points that maybe useful for 3rd step.
3rd – gather, gather ori, omnom, ancient wood, and the occassional rich mithril
4th – sell on TP @ lowest sell order price
5th – move TP profits from TP to bank
6th – use said profits to keep characters own wallet above 1G
7th – once gathering done for the day, play as you like without worrying about coin

Yes it take alot of time to set it up, and yes it can take a few hours to go through all characters and gather in what you hope is an optimal path, but its not grinding, and income does not depend on luck. With 8 characters you are guarenteed an income of 10G/day (atleast), and you can chose what your favorate class of the day is to play normally with.

I have heard of people doing this with 15 characters but that would leave me little time to play.

Bluestone.7106

Ah, but that is not the issue. The issue is that people who want to make gold are watching as avenues to do so get closed, one after the other. What is wrong with asking for more ways to earn gold while having fun? Asking worked for the “nothing to do” folks. Exotic is kind of a red herring here anyway. I mentioned those costs only because someone else did and was under-estimating the costs.

I suppose asking for more ways to earn money is okay. But I stand by my opinion that most income avenues are fine as they are. And there is not a lack of current ways to make money, just perhaps a lack of ways that hold interest to a subset of the community.

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

One of the major problems is just simply making gold in order to spend, if you roll and alt for instance, getting from 1 to 80 is simple ~ gearing that fresh 80 in all exotic gear is where the cost comes into play now. Over a month ago, you could gear a warrior in all Draconic exotics for a fraction of the price it costs now, the inflation rate has increased so dramatically but the ways for the casual players to make money, has been reduced

So, for players who like alts ~ this slaps them in the face ~ For entry players playing catch-up ~ it practically blocks them from any progression. For casual players in general it forces them to grind for many hours a day many of which, have work/studying and other commitments and none of them signed up for this new Guild Wars 2.1 game we have.

Lets see the casual players face off against fully ascended players in WvW, assuming the game will survive to that point.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Bluestone.7106

One of the major problems is just simply making gold in order to spend, if you roll and alt for instance, getting from 1 to 80 is simple ~ gearing that fresh 80 in all exotic gear is where the cost comes into play now. Over a month ago, you could gear a warrior in all Draconic exotics for a fraction of the price it costs now, the inflation rate has increased so dramatically but the ways for the casual players to make money, has been reduced

So, for players who like alts ~ this slaps them in the face ~ For entry players playing catch-up ~ it practically blocks them from any progression. For casual players in general it forces them to grind for many hours a day many of which, have work/studying and other commitments and none of them signed up for this new Guild Wars 2.1 game we have.

Lets see the casual players face off against fully ascended players in WvW, assuming the game will survive to that point.

This is where I disagree. If a player chooses to purchase their exotic L80 gear then that is their chose and the financial strain is their own choice. If a play chooses to get their exotic gear through dungeons then they can even gear an army of L80 alts running dungeons with a single character, or spread it across multiple characters.

A dedicated dungeon runner would have enough tokens to fully gear a new L80 alt straight away without spending 25-50+ gold.

The financial strain regarding buying L80 exotic gear is by choice since they are choosing between spending the coin on TP or spending the time in dungeons.

IndigoSundown.5419

I suppose asking for more ways to earn money is okay. But I stand by my opinion that most income avenues are fine as they are. And there is not a lack of current ways to make money, just perhaps a lack of ways that hold interest to a subset of the community.

That was my point. People want to make gold by playing the way they want, not being funneled into a few avenues which are much more rewarding. Since this is a game, some people don’t want to look at it as a job. Others get their fun from looking at the game as a job. Adding more ways for the former group to make gold seems like a good idea.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not asking for gold for nothing. I do think the massive world the devs built would be more widely used if ways to get “stuff” were more widespread. Every time I see people speed run a dungeon, or speed run to nodes, I wonder why so much effort was put into the dungeons and the open world.

Posted by: jdkentucky.2871

jdkentucky.2871

Ya there is many ways of earning coins but I have noticed my drop income is not what it used to be. Sorry to say when the platform changes people do notice those changes.. There are players that like to only kill NPC’s for income if they wanted to skill there are many games that offer that and most of them are finding it difficult keeping players interested in grinding. Many of the inital reviews of GW2 stated people loved the non grinding style of this game. When people see there drops decrease it will raise a few questions. I tend to think that the company is not seeing its gem sales going up. And when these sales do not stay constant they will do things to see if they can make them go up. Basically when it comes down to it they really want use to trade our gems for gold. I cannot blame them for that they want to make a nice profit. I still think they went a little far in decreasing the drops but there is nothing we can do about it.

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

This is where I disagree. If a player chooses to purchase their exotic L80 gear then that is their chose and the financial strain is their own choice. If a play chooses to get their exotic gear through dungeons then they can even gear an army of L80 alts running dungeons with a single character, or spread it across multiple characters.

A dedicated dungeon runner would have enough tokens to fully gear a new L80 alt straight away without spending 25-50+ gold.

The financial strain regarding buying L80 exotic gear is by choice since they are choosing between spending the coin on TP or spending the time in dungeons.

That really depends highly on several factors though, such as guild and server. If your on a low population server, getting to run even one dungeon is HARD. So you can’t really say that without looking at the information from a server to server point of view, I don’t know what your server (Blackgate) is like, but our server never had any access to overflows for a long time so actually getting them done was a feat in itself.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: oney.5067

oney.5067

Its as simple as this… grinding gold cuts into their revenue earning potential. The last thing they want to do is have you trade gold you farmed for gems instead of purchasing them through their store. Is this explanation clear enough for you?

if this is the case let us farm gold like in gw1 and take the gold to gem exchange out!

Bluestone.7106

That really depends highly on several factors though, such as guild and server. If your on a low population server, getting to run even one dungeon is HARD. So you can’t really say that without looking at the information from a server to server point of view, I don’t know what your server (Blackgate) is like, but our server never had any access to overflows for a long time so actually getting them done was a feat in itself.

Server transfers are free. So there is a work around. There usually is. And plenty of guilds are recruiting, and you can join several guilds, and you don’t need to be on the same server to run a dungeon so you can join a multi-server guild to run dungeons with.

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

It’s a sad truth but Gems can be traded for gold, so it is in Anets best interest to make gold hard to get. Think about the process of getting a legendary weapon. Precursor’s, lodestones, and T6 mats have a very very low drop rate, so farming them is unrealistic. Plus you need 100g for icy runestones. The gifts you can’t obtain with gold take far less time to get then the gifts you can obtain with gold if you were to actually farm them, which is exactly what Anet wants so they can boost the incentive to buy gems.

Why do you think they take bots so seriously? Because it hurts the real players?…nope, it decreases the value of items which decreases the need for large sums of gold, which decreases the need for gems thus decreasing Anets profit.

Nerf in game money generation = more real life money generation.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

(edited by rickets.1386)

Bluestone.7106

Precursor’s, lodestones, and T6 mats have a very very low drop rate, so farming them is unrealistic.

Only if you are in an imaginary rush.

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

Precursor’s, lodestones, and T6 mats have a very very low drop rate, so farming them is unrealistic.

I’m not, but people like to feel fairly rewarded for their time.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Bluestone.7106

I’m not, but people like to feel fairly rewarded for their time.

But then, if you don’t feel that the reward justifies the effort why reach out for it?
I personally think the prestige of having a legendary weapon justifies the effort. Heck that’s pretty much all that gear means in GW2, prestige. No gear is meant to give you a significant advantage. Skill plays the primary role.

Posted by: Rehk.6574

Rehk.6574

What I really want to know is…

Why does it matter to you guys that you make tons of gold?
What does that gold get you at the end of the day? – Exotics,

And Since Exotics are, in my opinion, a pretty reasonable place for the time it takes to acquire them, once you have full exotics…why do you need to make so much money?

Don’t you realize at that point you are prepped to actually just go out and enjoy PLAYING the content of the game.

Having gold being kind of hard to get is WAY better than having it too easy to get.

And like I said before, at the end of the day when you have full exotics what is all that gold good for? Theres not a whole lot to be spending gold on…food, seige, and potions.

Those 3 things arent that expensive so as to cause this much of a fuss.
Granted Legendaries are there and they are quite “expensive” to get. but thats the point. They are L-e-g-e-n-d-a-r-y. They need to take that long time to make or it takes all the umphff out of them.

They are even going to put in a scavenger hunt for precursors, so I just dont see what all the fuss is about. Can you tell us why the current economy is making you not enjoy the game?

Posted by: AnemoneMeer.7182

AnemoneMeer.7182

I’m sitting at over 200g in item value alone, and 50g on hand. I’ve never farmed Plinx.

There are plenty of good ways to generate money if you have friends. Twilight Arbor lodestone farming is good profit to risk and you can run it in under 30 min, with over a gold of profit with a little luck, and Ascalon Catacombs is also great profit, lower, but less risk.

Posted by: taomang.2183

taomang.2183

What I really want to know is…

Why does it matter to you guys that you make tons of gold?
What does that gold get you at the end of the day? – Exotics,

And Since Exotics are, in my opinion, a pretty reasonable place for the time it takes to acquire them, once you have full exotics…why do you need to make so much money?

Don’t you realize at that point you are prepped to actually just go out and enjoy PLAYING the content of the game.

Having gold being kind of hard to get is WAY better than having it too easy to get.

And like I said before, at the end of the day when you have full exotics what is all that gold good for? Theres not a whole lot to be spending gold on…food, seige, and potions.

Those 3 things arent that expensive so as to cause this much of a fuss.
Granted Legendaries are there and they are quite “expensive” to get. but thats the point. They are L-e-g-e-n-d-a-r-y. They need to take that long time to make or it takes all the umphff out of them.

They are even going to put in a scavenger hunt for precursors, so I just dont see what all the fuss is about. Can you tell us why the current economy is making you not enjoy the game?

Yes, Rehk i will point out the obvious to you.

If you haven’t decided on pursuing a Legendary weapon or a prettier than average looking Exotic, then i’d like to invite you to do so and you will find the answer to your questions. People are indeed simply playing the game, however that won’t give you enough gold or items needed to craft such amazing items. Killing the same monsters in one area hoping for that one drop per hour, is not really fun for many people. Even less fun when you need 250 of the said item, that has a 1 per hour droprate. So for me to craft my fabulous weapon i need to do this for 250 hours. I need to spend 250 hours doing the same tedious thing. To this people say one of two things:

“It is optional you don’t NEED that item”. I’m sorry but for a game that keeps you playing by offering cosmetic rewards, yes i DO need that item to make my character prettier. However, i’m not clinically insane to spend 250 hours doing the same thing over and over and over again. 250 hours? That is 10,5 days of farming the same 1 component from a recipe. But the community has a solution! Which also answers your question:

“Lol you don’t need to grind, you can just buy it from the TP”. Yes i don’t have to farm the items myself. I can just use this gold i am trying to accumulate. Ok so i need 50 silver for one lodestone. Awesome i can get 4 an hour because i gain 2g per hour…. oh wait now its 1g per lodestone… now its 1.5g. The prices keep rising but our gold gains remain the same, or worse every time ArenaNet fixes a good source of income (Plinx).

The prices on the TP are chaotic, and farming those items is out of the question. Farming the gold is also out of the question because by the time i get “enough gold” the price of the item i need will be increased because of the mighty economy.
When you’re constantly trying to catch up to that number and it keeps slipping, you become rather frustrated.

However for most prices ArenaNet is partly to blame, who should be blamed are the players, since this IS a player driven economy. And i find it rather tedious and frustrating. So i will be playing Rift (which is one of the grindiest games i’ve ever played, but still way less that this), and putting GW2 on the side until further notice of things, not becoming better, but reasonable. Right now it’s not worth of my time and energy investment, when i’m going nowhere with the prices constantly rising.

So as many i will be taking the community’s advice and stop playing/go play something else. It is the rational thing to do. Without a doubt GW2 has the best 1st time leveling experience, and the path from 1 to 80 to full exotics was a real pleasure and the best MMO experience i had. But I wouldn’t recommend my friends to stick around beyond that.

Bluestone.7106

“It is optional you don’t NEED that item”. I’m sorry but for a game that keeps you playing by offering cosmetic rewards, yes i DO need that item to make my character prettier.

You are confusing need with want. You don’t need to do anything in GW2. You do need to eat IRL to survive though. Speaking in game terms, anything visual/aesthetic cannot be a need as it does not give you any advantage.

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

I need the gold so I can afford the frigging WP costs, never mind items and repairs. 5 silver is a lot of money to a pauper scrooge.

Bluestone.7106

I need the gold so I can afford the frigging WP costs, never mind items and repairs. 5 silver is a lot of money to a pauper scrooge.

Lol. If you hadn’t referenced scrooge I would have pounced on you about your lies :P

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

I love people who tell others they make exuberant amounts of gold by “playing the market.” Good to know, but too bad for the rest of us who’d rather play the game and still be able to afford cool things.

Ask yourself this:
How does an adventurer make gold?

Answer:
He sells the loot he finds in his adventures.

A savvy adventurer will always get a better deal than one who just sells for asking price; this isn’t unique to GW2. Whether it be selling an item on auction in WoW or Allods, making an appraisal throw in Dungeons and Dragons, or taking ranks in speechcraft in Skyrim.

If you’re not willing to shop about for the best deal and be savvy with your gold in GW2, don’t be surprised when you find yourself having less than the next guy.

Personally I love this aspect of GW2, it isn’t a matter of grinding up and vendoring items, the civvie side of life is a mini-game of it’s own; the greatest PvP arena where the stakes pay out in gold.

Do you help with mobs when you see that? If you see someone doing that, ask them if they want the mobs or if you can take them. Easy 5-10s for, and they can harvest in peace.

I do actually – I’m like “Thanks for rounding them up for me” and murder them all with mind bullets. I do wonder why someone would risk training so many mobs though if they won’t survive it if something went wrong.

This is not what people mean by playing the market.

I quit with about 600g mid november and I guarantee you it wasn’t because I was a good adventurer.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Do you people enjoy grinding or not?

If you do, why are you complaining? Grinding may give you rewards more slowly now, but if you are doing something you enjoy, does it really matter if it’s a bit faster or a bit slower?

And if you don’t like grind… Why are you asking ArenaNet to allow you to grind? You should ask them to reward you for whatever it is you enjoy doing.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Lol. If you hadn’t referenced scrooge I would have pounced on you about your lies :P

As Parker from Leverage said:
I don’t like stuff. I like money.

Posted by: AuldWolf.7598

AuldWolf.7598

Hey, ArenaNet needs you to buy those gems! So the money they filter into the game is cynically tight-fisted and stingy, and the prices of things like racial armour are artificially high! Towering costs! 10% of them will grind for it. 90% of most won’t bother with that. 50% of those who won’t will (and have) leave. The rest are the gullible sorts who’ll buy gems to convert to gold.

That’s ArenaNet’s bread and butter right there.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Yeah I logged in tonight to try to get the elusive Onyx Lodestones. 11 g to buy them 22 for the runes of the ogre.

Not logging in until they fix this, not spending a dime until they fix this.

Serious big buyers remorse for this game right now. I cannot tell you how much this kind of greed disgusts me.

Someone I won’t name who did the research, apparently the financial director from Nexon was put in place to “assist” in the game’s design in June. Ever since then, we’ve had DR, lower drops, mysterious drop rate lowering of globs of ectoplasm, 0 communication 0 replies and a vague “investigation” into the problem a week old with no reports of the results or the plans on how to fix it.

I won’t be logging back in until they fix this. I’ll be watching the news sites to see if anything pops up from this but I can tell you I like many others am not happy about this game right now, not in the slightest.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

Welcome to cash-shop games. The lucky and the people who invest enough time will earn a lot of money in game… But the idea is to bring the game to the point that the average player needs to spend money to get what they need.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

real players earn only small amounts while botters get rich…

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Of course you’re allowed to earn gold.

You just need to either:

a) Grind like no tomorrow
b) Play the TP. You will need quite a bit of gold to get going though.
c) Buy gems & convert them

Oh you meant by playing normally? Not a chance then, sorry.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I’m making gold just fine, without any use of the TP. I just do a few dungeons a day (2-3 hours usually), and only the ones that I find fun, mixing up each day, and I have 5g+ to play with by the end. It’s not exactly enough to make me the richest man on earth, but it’s good cash. Well on my way to my legendary just doing that (nearly finished the Powerful Bloods, done Vicious Fangs and Ancient Bones, the rest are in the 80s-90s).

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: EsLafiel.4517

EsLafiel.4517

I don’t grind at all, I do like 6 jps a day(different ones) not for grinding because it fun. I do some WvW, the jp in Eb sometimes to.

I do a couple fractal runs here and their.

I do other dgns runs.

Spend from 2-5hrs a day on this game.

Not grinding at all and just playing around.

I make on ave 2g-4g a day, but on lucky days I can get 6g+.

I got full culture t3 and a tons of other stuff now and 24g on me.

So I think getting money is at a good spd, unless you wanna get like 300g+ fast. Then i guess you gotta grind, but for me I just take it easy and have fun.

Posted by: Shayleen.8964

Shayleen.8964

I can pretty much do around 10-20 gold per day by running dungeons, doing events.

I dont know what are you talking about here ..

3 paths of AC can give you around 4 gold, just dont skip anything.
And farming in orr gives you stable 1,2-2g per hour just by doing events, dropping rares, selling the rest.

So if I do for instance 6 dungeons per day = 6-8 gold
+
If i farm another 5 hours in orr = another 6-12 gold

When you drop exotic, you can make even more … Come on, only becaues you cant make 100g per day there is no reason to complain here.

Wow. I have never, ever gotten even 3g from AC. All paths. No skipping.

I do think that as a casual player, I have to go out of my way to earn money for things that don’t drop. I call that grind. There are things in this game that don’t drop from mobs.

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Wow. I have never, ever gotten even 3g from AC. All paths. No skipping.

Uh. If you don’t mind, could you clarify this a bit? Let’s just leave the rest of this discussion aside for a moment.

I’m quite certain that if you don’t skip anything, sell the loot you got, and don’t miss any drops or chests- you will absolutely break 1 gold per path (or at the very least come extremely close) in AC.

If you then factor in the right food to give you extra gold from monsters… 4g for the 3 paths is not out of the question at all.

What do you find yourself getting?

Posted by: Evelynddra.9265

Evelynddra.9265

I know a person that is still playing SWTOR and is enjoying it. 80% of SWTOR players left in protest because of Mass Effect 3. There were even forums and videos about it at the time.
What I’m seeing on the forums is a lot of entitled whinners. “It’s all because of the cash shop”, “I want them to remove dungeons”, “I’m saying that this game is all about grinding, but when they introduced an anti grind policy I’m going to tell them that they did everything wrong”. There’s no satisfying these people. The same way that yesterday on the stream of Kerbal Space program some people started swearing and threatening the developers because they were showing a Kerbal maker instead of the game. They were also rushing devs to release it, even though you can buy and play in beta and receive FREE upgrades that are expanding the game. You know what they got in return? They got told that if they decide to be kitten again they will be blocked. ArenaNet is too patient. Plus I bet if they would say that people would rage with “I’m quiting then”. Well quit. I personally want them to quit. Maybe if 40% of the players left we would have an enjoyable game where people are glad about the free content and not whinning like a little prick.

Two words should be avoided at all costs … “entitled” and “entitlement” they make the user look like a lemming that parrots current trends in political jargon. Sorry but the use of these word became popular by Republicans slinging rhetoric for people that lack the ability to use critical thinking.

Those “entitlement” programs that are “out of money” are not out of money because of legitimate use. Congress borrowed 2.7 TRILLION dollars out of them and did not repay it … there is your shortfall. Feel free to use Google and educate yourself before continuing to use either of those words and making yourself appear to be yet another lemming on the jargon bandwagon.

As to the OP … agreed. DR and farmcode is soul crushing at best. It also looks bad when the game company actually sells gold if they LIMIT how much you can generate by playing in a legitimate fashion. There is nothing worse than killing a mob and having NOTHING drop. They preach no grind and that is the very epitome of GRIND.

Why does a player need gold? Want tier 3 armor? You need gold. Want a commander icon? You need gold. Want a legendary? You need over 1 THOUSAND gold. Anet most definitely coded a NEED for gold into the game. When they limit and SELL at the same time it is very easy for people to view them in a very negative light.

I am personally down to grinding gold for my precursor (dusk) and have all other objectives completed. Unfortunately the price of the precursor is out pacing my capacity to generate gold. Yes, that is a REAL issue to me and all the other people in the same boat that I am in.

Why do I need a legendary? I don’t and neither do you. However, we don’t need anything in this MMO or any other MMO now do we. The legendary is about as cool looking as you can get in this game and the devs went all out making them (thank you Anet) so I would actually question those that don’t try to get one before I would get all high and mighty and play the “you don’t have to get one” card.

Anet created a need for gold. We are happy to grind for it … for God’s sakes take the boat anchor okittens and let us do it.

Whoa there. You’re massively mixing up real life and the game there. You are not entitled to ANYTHING in the game. Nothing in the game is a right. Whereas you are entitled to things in life. Like…being able to afford food. If you don’t see a difference between these different versions of entitlement…well it might be a good idea to lessen your focus on the game.

As for the topic of making money….let us be clear on the complaint. It’s not that you CAN’T make money, it’s that you don’t make it FAST enough (for you).I do flip on the TP. I tend to prefer low risk, low profit markets. I list my orders…then go do something else. I’ve had no issues with money (granted I’m not planning on getting a legendary anytime soon). It’s incredibly simple to make gold (farming and/or TP playing). Even just doing things like not repairing armor until something actually breaks, or not taking WPs can save you loads. When you buy/sell make take a quick look what’s actually on the auction. Stop quick selling. A lot of the time that price isn’t updated, or there’ll be 1 or 2 listings at 50s, and the rest at 1g. Check order prices compared to sell prices. More often than not you’ll sell at a decent rate if you list it rather than quick sell. If you’re excuse is that this it “too hard”, then you’re just lazy.

It’s not hard; it just requires a slight bit more thought and effort.

tigirius.9014

I’m making gold just fine, without any use of the TP. I just do a few dungeons a day (2-3 hours usually), and only the ones that I find fun, mixing up each day, and I have 5g+ to play with by the end. It’s not exactly enough to make me the richest man on earth, but it’s good cash. Well on my way to my legendary just doing that (nearly finished the Powerful Bloods, done Vicious Fangs and Ancient Bones, the rest are in the 80s-90s).

you do realize the irony of doing dungeons as your main focus in a game that wasn’t all about dungeons originally 3 months ago right? “play your way” doesn’t mean anything anymore to them i guess.

Posted by: blurps.2340

blurps.2340

The disparity between running the same few select dungeons over and over and basically every other activity in the game is way too large at the moment. If I wanted to do that, I’d still play Age of Conan or Everquest 2, they do a much better job at that kind of content and have tons more thanks to their age.

Unfortunately aquiring the same rewards any other way takes many times the time and effort , if it is possible at all.

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

If it was twice as easy to make gold then everything you wanted to buy would be twice as expensive.

But I do agree making gold in different ways should net roughly the same gold per hour – so you are not penalized for time spent.

e.g. sPvP should net gold for winning. that would make pvp much more exciting.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

you do realize the irony of doing dungeons as your main focus in a game that wasn’t all about dungeons originally 3 months ago right? “play your way” doesn’t mean anything anymore to them i guess.

…What? I AM playing my way. This is how I make money, and I enjoy it. Play the TP if you want. Do whatever the hell you want to make money. That’s playing YOUR way. You’re not shoehorned in to doing dungeons if you don’t want to do them. Nothing is compulsory. It’s a game, not a job.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

tigirius.9014

…What? I AM playing my way. This is how I make money, and I enjoy it. Play the TP if you want. Do whatever the hell you want to make money. That’s playing YOUR way. You’re not shoehorned in to doing dungeons if you don’t want to do them. Nothing is compulsory. It’s a game, not a job.

Actually yes we are because even tho the drops have lowered in dungeons they are nowhere near the horrendous piles of garbage we get from open world right now. Thus the reason for my post.

Farming wasn’t supposed to be solely dungeon based but that’s part of the problem now. No one can play the way they want it’s even affected WvW drops.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

jaw drop Try this: Check how much gold you make doing what you enjoy. Set your expectations based on that. If you are not making a few g/day, you should probably realise that spvp doesn’t give you gold, because you don’t need gold in spvp. That’d make your time in GW2 a lot more enjoyable.

Posted by: Lionaeron.5724

Lionaeron.5724

there is no fun way to make money in this game. it is all a repetitive grind.

^this, and ofc you’re playing it wrong OP

Zerg>Skill.

Posted by: Lionaeron.5724

Lionaeron.5724

Something a little constructive now, how I intend to get around this issue, and the loot drop bug, and make the 600G within a couple of months.

1st – Level 1 character of each profession to 80
2nd – once level 80, get them to FGS, ML, Cursed Shore, and the new island and explore a little to unlock way points that maybe useful for 3rd step.
3rd – gather, gather ori, omnom, ancient wood, and the occassional rich mithril
4th – sell on TP @ lowest sell order price
5th – move TP profits from TP to bank
6th – use said profits to keep characters own wallet above 1G
7th – once gathering done for the day, play as you like without worrying about coin

Yes it take alot of time to set it up, and yes it can take a few hours to go through all characters and gather in what you hope is an optimal path, but its not grinding, and income does not depend on luck. With 8 characters you are guarenteed an income of 10G/day (atleast), and you can chose what your favorate class of the day is to play normally with.

I have heard of people doing this with 15 characters but that would leave me little time to play.

1st wait for next content
2nd wait for last day once in a lifetime content with 8 characters lvl 80
3rd run that last day content on each character
4th ninja that loot chest on each character on different overflows
5th link 10 precursors and laugh at everyone who didn’t get one who wasn’t on
6th sell each precursor for 200-300 gold each

Zerg>Skill.

Posted by: Slic.2406

Slic.2406

Q: Are we not allowed to earn gold?

A: No. You’re not allowed to play the game how you want to.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

Someone I won’t name who did the research, apparently the financial director from Nexon was put in place to “assist” in the game’s design in June. Ever since then, we’ve had DR, lower drops, mysterious drop rate lowering of globs of ectoplasm, 0 communication 0 replies and a vague “investigation” into the problem a week old with no reports of the results or the plans on how to fix it.

Whoever “did the research” on this either misunderstood or gave you misleading information. The monetization director that they hired has worked for ArenaNet since January or March. She’s not some mysterious Nexon suit sent to infiltrate ArenaNet and “assist” with game design; she was hired by ArenaNet to help run the gem store, because she had experience in MapleStory. Nexon does not have a controlling interest in NCSoft and does not call the shots when it comes to game design.

There are legitimate concerns surrounding the design of the gem store, the ability to make money in the game, and ArenaNet’s philosophy on rewarding players for time spent (to me it feels like they’ve had trouble making the reality of their design match what they want to provide for players). But the spread of this conspiracy theory steals credibility from player complaints and takes the focus off real problems.

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

“It is optional you don’t NEED that item”. I’m sorry but for a game that keeps you playing by offering cosmetic rewards, yes i DO need that item to make my character prettier.

You are confusing need with want. You don’t need to do anything in GW2. You do need to eat IRL to survive though. Speaking in game terms, anything visual/aesthetic cannot be a need as it does not give you any advantage.

It is proven that display of social status is critical to our wellbeing. You are wrong to believe that ‘Bling’ is not a need.

It is not healthy to go around GW2 in the cackiest armor waving a rusty sword, appearing to be a failure.

A-nets restriction of the average players ability to aquire, via resonable effort, status symbols is a mistake that they will pay for in loss of players and thus loss of income.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

A-nets restriction of the average players ability to aquire, via resonable effort, status symbols is a mistake that they will pay for in loss of players and thus loss of income.

Define “reasonable effort”. Is that 1 week? 1 month? 6 months? And don’t forget you are talking about a “status symbol”.

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

You don’t need to play GW2. It’s a video game. Even things that do give an advantage in gameplay can easily be dismissed as a want instead of a need, because in the end none of it is any more important than pretty gear. And all of it—stats, looks, whatever—is only “needed” based on its entertainment value for an individual player. Some people don’t care about looks, and they “need” better stats to have a good time. Some people don’t care about stats, and they “need” access to better looks to have fun.

You can argue that people who went after things that require money instead of time are making a choice, but they weren’t behind the choice to make the skin they wanted cost gold instead of karma, or gold instead of dungeon tokens. What many people are asking for is for the choice to spend gold instead of another currency to stop being a choice between spending gold and having fun. Spending gold is, right now, the punishing choice (this is coming from someone who loves farming, but I understand that it’s incredibly tedious for most people). If ArenaNet doesn’t want that to be the case, something needs to be adjusted.