Are we slowly losing it?

Are we slowly losing it?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Atros.9607

Atros.9607

Okay so since the Bloodstone Fen patch, I’ve been followed around by what looks like a smaller version of the VG or unbound guardian.

So I ask, who else has seen this and are our characters slowly losing it? What theories are out there about this man/thing/…light being?

Cleaner link: https://i.gyazo.com/ef7bb05b50a68c4da17bdbdf602ee748.mp4

[ShW] Shrouded Warband § Gold Invader § Fort Aspenwood
My pugs are not lemmings, they just fell off that cliff because I did

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Corvinus.8634

Corvinus.8634

Seen it plenty times. I’m fairly new so I just figured it was related to random potential leyline events.

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Yes if you do the current events you will understand better what is going on:

Spoilers if you haven’t done them:

Ley energy has been building up, culminating in a series of ley line events recently. It started a random energy, but the energy destroyed a number of researchers. Later the energy reformed in the shape of anomalies that rampaged across tyria, which is speculated to be the spirits of the researchers destroyed by the ley energy. After the bloodstone catastrophe additional ley line anomalies (pictured in OP) are popping in and out of existence trying to make it back to our world due to the weakening barrier and huge outflow of magic into the world. As is pretty obvious from their forms they are in terrible pain and misery but the only way to help them is to destroy them so far.

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Strange-ghost-pops-up-and-goes-poof

One theory I read was that these are leyline elementals or djinns that have spawned due to the excess of magic. There was a very good thread about it all in the lore forums that covered it in more detail and how it may be a repeat of a previous rise in elemental/djinn activity.

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I just want to say that as a massive horror fanatic and seeker of “unknown” or mysterious things, this really gets me hyped.

I don’t do a lot of PvE but this is something I would be very interested in learning more about as it really sparks that “what if…” feeling.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

This is exactly the kind of Stephen-King-Lovecraftian stuff I was expecting from this game since ever, only I was expecting it from the Deep Sea Dragon, but that works too. Great storytelling job right there to lay hints and details around instead of throwing everything for us to feed on (kind of like the Souls series and I love that).

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Since they are completely interactionless and non-physical I can only imagine them being some sort of flare in your mind.

You know, like when you look too long into a lightsource and the shape of that lightsource keeps in your field of view. I feel seeing these anomalies is pretty much the same effect, except magical.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

I don’t know what you all are talking about. I feel fine.

Now if you excuse me, I need to get back to my bloodstone flavoured cornflakes and unbound magic coffee.

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Okay so since the Bloodstone Fen patch, I’ve been followed around by what looks like a smaller version of the VG or unbound guardian.

So I ask, who else has seen this and are our characters slowly losing it? What theories are out there about this man/thing/…light being?

Cleaner link: https://i.gyazo.com/ef7bb05b50a68c4da17bdbdf602ee748.mp4

Why yes, I think it’s pretty clear that our characters should be losing it. If you look at everything logically, collecting unbound magic and bloodstone is exactly what all the “bad guys” have been doing – and going crazy… And that is exactly what we’re doing.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Losing it? I don’t think I ever had it!

But yes, I’ve been seeing these all over the place too – even in a story instance on a level 33 character!

My guess is the anomaly from the leyline events has learned how to enter Tyria in a form where we can’t attack it, so it can get on with whatever it came to do. But I guess it could be a hallucination.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Are we slowly losing it?

Djinn.9245

The only part of this new phenomenon that I don’t agree with is that all the characters on my account are seeing the “ghosts”. That just doesn’t make sense from a RPG perspective. It is actually very immersion-breaking for those characters who have not yet gone to Bloodstone Fen.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I only have one character that’s been to Bloodstone Fen, and yet all my characters are seeing these ghosts all over Tyria, even in the guild hall. So that leads me to believe that these ghost sightings are not really bloodstone related.

What will really worry me is if all my characters do a (scream!) all over Tyria!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Sensei Hoisen.9821

Sensei Hoisen.9821

Yes if you do the current events you will understand better what is going on:

Spoilers if you haven’t done them:

Ley energy has been building up, culminating in a series of ley line events recently. It started a random energy, but the energy destroyed a number of researchers. Later the energy reformed in the shape of anomalies that rampaged across tyria, which is speculated to be the spirits of the researchers destroyed by the ley energy. After the bloodstone catastrophe additional ley line anomalies (pictured in OP) are popping in and out of existence trying to make it back to our world due to the weakening barrier and huge outflow of magic into the world. As is pretty obvious from their forms they are in terrible pain and misery but the only way to help them is to destroy them so far.

Ty for the background!

I just want to say that as a massive horror fanatic and seeker of “unknown” or mysterious things, this really gets me hyped.

I don’t do a lot of PvE but this is something I would be very interested in learning more about as it really sparks that “what if…” feeling.

Me too. Maybe it’s something leading up to Halloween?

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

The only part of this new phenomenon that I don’t agree with is that all the characters on my account are seeing the “ghosts”. That just doesn’t make sense from a RPG perspective. It is actually very immersion-breaking for those characters who have not yet gone to Bloodstone Fen.

They may be “Mist-beings”, and the Mists reach out to all places, at all times. So, even if you’re starting out, these apparitions could appear retroactively.

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

Probably just a visual way to show the exposure of the magic in Bloodstone Fen is having an accept on our player character.

Whether it’s just a neat visual thing or actually going to go anywhere story wise (maybe our character gets terminal magic cancer from being exposed to a Bloodstone meltdown? lol) remains to be scene.

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I only have one character that’s been to Bloodstone Fen, and yet all my characters are seeing these ghosts all over Tyria, even in the guild hall. So that leads me to believe that these ghost sightings are not really bloodstone related.

What will really worry me is if all my characters do a (scream!) all over Tyria!

Whether you have been to Bloodstone Fen is probably irrelevant, since the overflow of magic was reaching out prior to our visit there – we already had anomalies occuring. Plus we are seeing the effects of the bloodstone explosion in central Tyria with the new events – I’m pretty certain there were no Arctodus in BF

Are we slowly losing it?

Djinn.9245

They may be “Mist-beings”, and the Mists reach out to all places, at all times. So, even if you’re starting out, these apparitions could appear retroactively.

Not sure why they would be “Mist beings”. They look exactly like the Legendary Ley-line Anomaly but person-sized. Ley-lines channel magic. AFAIK, all these ley-line anomolies are because there is too much magic loose in the world. There is too much magic because normally the Elder Dragons absorb magic and we killed 2 of them, and because the White Mantle broke the bloodstone and released its magic.

But we didn’t start seeing these new beings until one of our characters started collecting Unbound Magic in Bloodstone Fen which is why I don’t understand why all my characters are seeing them.

Not sure where the Mists come into this.

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

The first Anomaly we encountered was a coalescence of energies present at the Thaumanova Reactor fractal. Fractals are islands of reality pulled from The Mists, a kind of proto-matter that constitutes all. Including magic.

That’s where I think it comes from.

Are we slowly losing it?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Can you see this strange thing on his back? It looks just like mursaat “thing”

https://s4.postimg.io/luo77m5tp/209px_Mursaat_caster.jpg

https://s4.postimg.io/p5610qfd9/mur.png

I don’t think that’s part of the anomaly, I think that’s a separate object it’s standing next to.

Whenever I’ve seen it in game it’s just been a glowing person. Looks exactly the same as the effect on players if you walk into the Mystic Forge.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Are we slowly losing it?

Djinn.9245

The first Anomaly we encountered was a coalescence of energies present at the Thaumanova Reactor fractal. Fractals are islands of reality pulled from The Mists, a kind of proto-matter that constitutes all. Including magic.

That’s where I think it comes from.

The fact that ANY being happens to be found in a Fractal doesn’t mean it’s a “mist being”.