Are you a name rebel?

Are you a name rebel?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CookMETEnder.7582

CookMETEnder.7582

I take my naming very seriously.

Lol, I don’t care what their name is…
As long as they are nice people and competent.

Now… I am a little biased against people that have names like:
1. LordzDragon777
2. Leet1337UberPro
3. aslijcawloihaliuhv

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Baeyne.9584

Baeyne.9584

I personally name my characters according to the lore of the game i’m playing. Specially in GW2 since the included naming conventions for each race in the game.

My characters name is the major reason why i have trouble making alts, and the reason why it takes me an hour to make a character in any game (subsequently deleting it after and making a new one with a better name).

“If you keep getting hit, you’re playing the Thief wrong!” -Bassman

(edited by Baeyne.9584)

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: DJSkittles.7196

DJSkittles.7196

In all seriousness though, I generally give my characters facetious names because I like to have a good time with friends when playing video games and joke around a lot. This way, I dont have to worry about any boring, humorless RP’ers accidently talking to me and possibly killing my buzz.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Mustang GT? My Camaro SS will smoke that name.

This makes me want to make a character named Ford Pinto.

Said character would be an Engineer, for obvious reasons.

There is a Ford Sierra in game. I am fine with that as it really could be someone’s name. (Americans call that car Taurus.)

But there are also names that make me just sigh and shake my head. Anything in all lower caps or all caps definitely falls into the category. So do anything to do with excrement or vomit. Bodyparts for the most part don’t impress me in names either, though there are exceptions. The person calling a male character “Breastanimal” was not one of those exceptions.

Clever names are funny. Sadly, what is clever varies immensely from one person to another.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Frankly speaking, many names just reek of childish, immaturity—but really, what else can one expect?

But these kinds of names convey two things;

1) “I’m an immature child”—fine.

2) “I don’t ‘care’ about my character or the environment in which I (and my character) exist and interact with others.”—not fine. This attitude is an extension of the person’s attitude (at least in some part) in real life.

(edited by Pure Heart.1456)

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Neverathome.8349

Neverathome.8349

I saw a warrior the other day,his name was Waaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.xxxx lol,So funny but mayby boring overtime.:)

My char. names atm,-warrior,Pristinewhite -elementalist,Elektricia

Kind regards

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: JohnLShannonhouse.1820

JohnLShannonhouse.1820

It’s most obvious when you’re trying to piddle around in something like DCUO — let me tell you, Superbatman135553737 starts to look pretty good as a name after you hear a cheery computer say “ERROR!” name-already-in-use fifty times.

Superhero names are different. I never have had a name already in use error in GW1 or GW2. Having a given name and surname ensures this. Now, one of my GW1 characters had a “forbidden string” in GW2 for reasons unclear to me, but none of the others did.

I am wary of people who have offbeat names because my bad experiences in interactions have been strongly, disproportionately with people who have names like Shaves Bellow or Shiver Runner or Meat Stabber. I will group with most people, anyway, and there is usually not a problem.

If a game ever comes out where the in-game dialogue can pronounce character names, there are people I will not be grouping with.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

According to the naming policy, superhero names do break the rules (same with Game of Thrones):
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/

Copied relevant part:

We do not permit names that:

Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I play on TC, not for the RP, but I like a populated server with a generally mature culture and TC seems to fit. And, while not rp’ing myself I try to respect those shooting for immersion. All my characters have plausible RP names with significant personal meaning for me given my life experiences. Works for me.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

For permanent characters I like to pick something which, if not 100% lore appropriate will at least not stick out like a sore thumb.

But I’m a lot more flexible with characters I’m only planning to use for a short time. Sometimes they’re lore appropriate, my last 2 were a norn called Ronark Askirson and a sylvari called Varanthorn for example. Sometimes I go for a really strange or amusing (IMO) name. And sometimes I re-create my Beta weekend Ele Magenta King and his giant purple afro.

Mustang GT? My Camaro SS will smoke that name.

This makes me want to make a character named Ford Pinto.

Said character would be an Engineer, for obvious reasons.

There is a Ford Sierra in game. I am fine with that as it really could be someone’s name. (Americans call that car Taurus.)

There’s also a Ford Prefect. And although I never thought of it until now I’d be dissapointed if there wasn’t.

According to the naming policy, superhero names do break the rules (same with Game of Thrones):
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/

Copied relevant part:

We do not permit names that:

Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products.

Importantly though just because a book, movie, comic etc. is trademarked and/or copywrighted doesn’t mean the names of every character in it are.

It’s quite likely with comic book characters because at least some of their titles will be named after them. But I doubt every character in Game of Thrones is trade marked.

And I’m fairly certain this is why I’ve been using the name Alleria Wildrunner in several games, including GW1 and GW2 (but not WoW) for years without a problem. Either that or changing 1 letter is enough to get around it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

True, most characters are probably not trademarked in Game of Thrones; however, I am quite certain superhero characters (Batman etc) are.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

My only two issues.

1. Names that are clearly offensive and you know will be changed soon. Those idiots are just looking for attention.

2. Names that are just spelled wrong on purpose. So you get Blaaaack Wiiiidoow or something stupid like that. Listen kiddo, your name was taken, be creative and come up with something else.

I do report names that are clearly against the ToS all the time. I freely admit to that.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

2. Names that are just spelled wrong on purpose. So you get Blaaaack Wiiiidoow or something stupid like that. Listen kiddo, your name was taken, be creative and come up with something else.

If it’s obvious to everyone it’s misspelled then I agree, particularly if it’s so overdone it looks rediculous like your example.

But a lot of the time tweaking the spelling can be a good way to keep a name you like which is already taken. I’ve got 2 characters with ‘misspelled’ names: Xexxi and Varanthorn. But I doubt anyone would know I originally wanted Xixxi and Varathorn and changed the spellings because those were taken.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Nittles.1582

Nittles.1582

I never, ever put numbers in my name, (I was a little kitten that the forum does it for you here.) and some of my characters have lore-based names. Others have joke names, but never really, really stupid ones. Probably the worst is my Sylvari named Duke Von Leafsford.

But my main is just named Nittles. Which I guess is an alright Asuran name.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Little Old Lady.3742

Little Old Lady.3742

I tend to choose realistic names for my characters. My Sylvari are named using various Latin names for plants, or derivatives of the Latin names. For example, one of my girls is named Betula Pendulae, which is a variant on the Latin name for “little-leaf linden tree”.

I tend to have fun with my Ranger pet names, above anything else. For example:

Spider: Skitter
Black Jaguar: Sleek
Eagle: Nobility
White Owl: Wisdom
Shark: Chompy (really need a new one, ever since I discovered the pirate puzzle in LA)
Armored Fish: Gauntlet
Fern Hound: Canteloupe

And so on. Nothing really mind-blowing, I am just slightly whimsical with my pets

I have a terrific Asura name ready to roll… which I would absolutely use, if I didn’t find the Asurans to be so insufferably egotistical.

pet names:
black widow: twitchy the red
jaguar: blinky
devourer: whippy and lashy.
red reef drake: bumpy

i didnt name my armoured fish or shark. or any other pets.. but if i had to… fish: stinky and the shark is bruce.

Little Old Lady, Sea of Sorrows, Robot Adventurers [RA], Tokyo Japan.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I do my best to pick only names that fit in the lore. If they compared my name to any other character in game it would perfectly blend it

(looks around suspiciously)

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

I do my best to pick only names that fit in the lore. If they compared my name to any other character in game it would perfectly blend it

(looks around suspiciously)

Im sure you blend in perfectly

Attachments:

Ulfar SOR

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

My Charr Warrior: Destroyer Of Tacos
My Norn Guardian: Yy Chromosomes
My Thief: Culling Ishoes

Deal with it.

Are you a name rebel?

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

As has been stated the usual examples of stupid MMO names falls into the category of helpful idiots self identifying. A person who has such a name may well not be an idiot, but they are wearing an idiot’s uniform and that is enough for me.

That being said, I could care less what other people name their toons.

I tend to think of my toons as individuals making their way through Tyria with me along for the ride. They get single names whenever I can give them. If I really want the first name and it is taken, I will add a last.

Basharic – my main and ever shall be. Male Charr thief. Name was actually generated by WoW’s name generator for my very first and most beloved toon.
Whree – my tiny female Asura warrior.

The rest are either non-English words, referencing race or profession, a couple more are from an anime so old only other ancient farts like me will get it.