Are you combining skills?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

I am curious, how many of you guys remember to combine your attacks with those of your fellow players? Or to set up fire walls or other ground abilities to strengthen your allies attacks?

- I’m curious because it is a feature that I sometimes forget when solo’ing (mind you, I meet other players, but sometimes they seem to forget the people around them and use their abilities to max the damage being done), but playing together with some buddies makes Guild Wars 2 a much more enjoyable experience, because we are more keen on combining our strengths to defeat our foes when in a group.

- So, are you playing Guild Wars 2 together with your friends, or just along side them? Are you being socially active in combat, reviving players that are downed, combining your attacks, setting up barriers that deflects the enemies arrows, but aids your allies’?
- Feel free to share your experiences in Tyria.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Stack might on the commander when we are standing around doing nothing.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

It’s mostly something that happens normally without having to actively think about it all the time.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’m always trying to stand in the good circles and use finishers in ally combo fields. In WvW and hotjoin PvP like I do it’s rough cuz there are so many fields on top of one another. But in DEs it’s quite easy and I can’t understand why more players don’t use em.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: OnionXI.6735

OnionXI.6735

I run dungeon pugs so stuff just happens. I don’t put much value on finishers that aren’t blasts and I plan around using my own combo fields rather than those of others. Most of my characters are melee and only one of them can use a blast finisher with a melee weapon.

Am I being socially active? Not really. Most groups I’m in don’t talk save for, “r, y, 3, 2, 1”. It’s really 5 people doing their own stuff, using the utilities they’re supposed to use, and keeping themselves alive.

Revives and reflects? Of course.

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

I never catch it the first time, but if I’m running a finisher-heavy weapon set I start saving finisher skills (Especially blasts and whirls) for whatever fields I’ve noticed being put down that our group doesn’t have. If we’re already loaded with burning and might, I don’t save it for fire fields, I’d rather blast finisher into an ethereal field for chaos armor on everyone. If there are a lot of conditions flying around I’ll save whirl finishers for light fields, etc.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

My thief friend constantly uses the pistol to create a field and blind her foes with shots and i sometimes use that same field to charge through and go to stealth as a warrior

Other than that i use fields when i see them in dungeons mostly, but i only play with one thief consistently so those are the fields i end up using most of the time in pvp.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I try to combo constantly. Both with myself and with other players. Its one of my favorite aspects of the combat, to the point where I tend to somewhat dislike most weapons that have no combo finishers / fields.

I do wish that combo fields lasted a bit longer on average. Sometimes its pretty hard to see the combo field, get into position, and use the correct move before the field vanishes. Speaking strictly of other peoples’ fields, of course, since you can easily plan around your own fields given that you obviously know when they’re coming and where they’re going.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I try to use combo fields all the time. They’re mega useful once you learn what they do.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I do. This is why I still throw out skills like Feedback, even when there are no projectiles to reflect.

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

My entire play style revolves around combos. Everything I do pretty much stems from always having combo fields being activated (as much as possible anyway). This stands true for whether I am solo or in a group. Took a while to learn the different fields/finishers but I think it was worth it.

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

Posted by: Darkwolf.6291

Darkwolf.6291

Because Elementalist. I’m putting down combo fields and using finishers on them nearly constantly.

Posted by: legion.7518

legion.7518

Been playing this game just a few weeks. I have a level 65 and a few others around level 15. I think I have been in a group 2 times. So I don’t even know how the combo things work.

This game really doesn’t promote grouping much. People congregate and kill stuff together, but nobody seems to be very interested in grouping up. I tried to find a group for a dungeon once, and got no response. would be nice if the game had a group finder.

Posted by: Tuluum.9638

Tuluum.9638

Been playing this game just a few weeks. I have a level 65 and a few others around level 15. I think I have been in a group 2 times. So I don’t even know how the combo things work.

This game really doesn’t promote grouping much. People congregate and kill stuff together, but nobody seems to be very interested in grouping up. I tried to find a group for a dungeon once, and got no response. would be nice if the game had a group finder.

Combos are effective whether you are in a group or solo. It will depend on your class though on how extensively you can actually utilize them. Some of the better classes for this specifically are ones like the elementalist, engineer, ranger, etc.

So, a group isnt necessary to learn about them. Just the wiki

Henosis [ONE]
06-04-13
NEVER FORGET

(edited by Tuluum.9638)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The game does have one but it’s not very good and no one uses it.

However EVERYONE uses gw2lfg.com <—-form a group in a matter of minutes, generally less than a minute.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

As an Elementalist, my entire build in groups revolves around might and vulnerability stacking. I also make use of my Guardian’s fire fields. It’s a pretty big deal to me that has a pretty significant impact on the fights.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I don’t do it when I’m soloing, but when playing in groups I do set up combo fields with my engineer, and elementalist (and on occasion, my guardian) and try to position myself to take advantage of them with my warrior and ranger.

Sinifair.1026

That can be hard at times, yes.
- I only group up with my real life friends in GW2 (and Guild mates, too, of course, if they’re up for it). My friends and I have a small guild, where we invite friends that is interested. We do dungeons and such, when we can gather people.
GW2 (and the first as well) is a game that I personally have experienced as being at its best when playing together with friends, and these combo fields and such? Well, you pick it up along the way.
- It’s also easier to combo your attacks, when you have your friends on the line, if you got skype.

- If you have friends, play together with them. It’s much easier to get into and it makes GW2 a much better and more enjoyable experience.

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

all the time, i tend to use my abilities last as i watch whats on/around the field and build on it if i’m on skype then i will generally not shut up an insist we combo field to maximum potential, in any situation.

as for solo play i always combine too, for example i will throw chaos field down then launch my izerker + mirror blade through it, or if im using sword + torch make sure i get the blast finish form torch itself. (mesmer pov)

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

I am curious, how many of you guys remember to combine your attacks with those of your fellow players? Or to set up fire walls or other ground abilities to strengthen your allies attacks?

- I’m curious because it is a feature that I sometimes forget when solo’ing (mind you, I meet other players, but sometimes they seem to forget the people around them and use their abilities to max the damage being done), but playing together with some buddies makes Guild Wars 2 a much more enjoyable experience, because we are more keen on combining our strengths to defeat our foes when in a group.

- So, are you playing Guild Wars 2 together with your friends, or just along side them? Are you being socially active in combat, reviving players that are downed, combining your attacks, setting up barriers that deflects the enemies arrows, but aids your allies’?
- Feel free to share your experiences in Tyria.

You can self-combo on any class but the warrior without a longbow. The longbow’s adrenaline skill is the only field warriors get. So have fun…unless you’re a warrior.

The warrior also happens to be the class struggling the most in PvP. Hmm. The elementalist is pretty much the strongest class in the game and he gets tons of fields and finishers. Curious…

Maybe there’s a connection between your ability to self-combo and how powerful your class can become. Could it be the rediculous buffs you get from blast/leap finishers?

For the good of game balance, self-comboing needs to be removed. Combos are very powerful and are best left that way. Lets just keep them something you need more than one player for.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I rarely use combo fields since the effects they provide are very short. Some effects last for 5 seconds but feel like they’re only up for 3 seconds.

However, I’m sure the SPvP crowd uses combos to a large degree.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Sinifair.1026

I don’t do it when I’m soloing, but when playing in groups I do set up combo fields with my engineer, and elementalist (and on occasion, my guardian) and try to position myself to take advantage of them with my warrior and ranger.

It depends on your weapon and skill set of course, but I use combos when solo’ing. I got a Guardian, an Engineer and an Elementalist too. The Guardian and Engineer can really do some damage, if you combine your symbols, or if you use the Engineer you can use the flamethrower to set a firewall, but yeah, I mainly use combo attacks with my Guardian, but it is obvious that there is a more flexible way of utilizing these when playing together with others.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I think it’s more a question of the person who has fields to lay down laying them down so that people who aren’t thinking about it will be able to fire through them just in the course of their natural play.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Yep definitely, I love to combo

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I’m usually partied up with an elementalist, so I get combo-fields all day long. That said, I usually try to drop my own field-creating skills in front of other players.

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

Elementalist here. The order of my attacks are built around comboing with myself. Combos with another player are just bonus.