Are you sure using "Flashpoint" a good idea?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

ANET,

you do realised that DC Comics has a comic book named “Flashpoint” right?

Are you sure you can use that word and not get sued for it?

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

ANET,

You can’t sue for using words in a dictionary. It’s public domain, just like the debacle with that React youtube channel for trademarking the word REACT. If they added some symbols and stuff within the word it’ll be theirs as long as those symbols are being used.

Proud TTS member

(edited by steve.2945)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

It was a term before it was the name of a comic book, though. So, I think they’ll be fine.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

To be fair copyright law is so corrupt these days I can understand the confusion, remember a few years ago when Candy Crush successfully copyrighted the use of the word “Candy” in any video game, and sued a half dozen people before the decision was finally (sort of) overturned? Disney has owned dozens of completely illegal (and even stolen) copyrights for decades because once a copyright is made, it is only overturned if someone disputes it, and anyone who even attempts to is crushed before ever seeing a day in court. Copyright law is even more strongly influenced by money and power and underhanded deals than the remainder of our political system.

But yes, you are not supposed to be able to copyright a generally used term like “fruit” or “flashpoint”, but it still happens sometimes, because sometimes the ruling goes to the highest bidder.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

So I just did a comparison between each of the various episode title montages and you’ll notice that for the first four episode titles they put the title on the screen and the release date under it. For ‘flashpoint’, they actually place ‘Guild Wars 2’ right above the episode name, so they’re in the clear. If there was going to be an issue (which as mentioned by others, using a dictionary word as the name of a living world episode instead of the name of the brand won’t do), it’s been resolved by placing ‘Guild Wars 2’ right above the episode name.

Just as an anecdote, I’ve seen a couple of TV shows made by completely different companies and hosted on different channels use the same episode name and from my knowledge there didn’t seem to be an issue there, likely because the episode name isn’t as important as the brand itself.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ANET,

Are you sure that NOTHING else in the world is named “Flashpoint?”

There would only be a problem if it turns out that Lazarus is actually Barry Allen, hit by the explosion from Mordremoth’s death.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

SW:TOR has a entire mode type called flashpoint (basically Dungeons)

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Book titles aren’t copyrighted anyway. There are multiple books and even some movies with the same title. It would be different if the name was a trademark of the game itself, but it’s not.

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

There would only be a problem if it turns out that Lazarus is actually Barry Allen, hit by the explosion from Mordremoth’s death.

I’d so watch that.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flash%20point
Known since 1878, apparently. :P

If the word itself were an issue, the Flashpoint board game would have gotten into a legal kerfluffle about it too. So far as my understanding of it goes, copyright for a word/term tends to be context/domain specific. So using “flashpoint” for a board game or television series that has nothing to do with comic book universes or superheroes should be just fine.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

That’s it. Lazarus is actually Savitar.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Actually the KING games thing was about the use “XYZ Saga”, IIRC. And they got away with it. Which is just baffling.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

ANET,

DC did not invent ‘flashpoint’. It is a common term.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ34.pdf

Trademarks are a different story except it wouldn’t apply here as the title is too generic.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Even when someone does think it’s an issue there’s usually an easy solution.

For example some people got it into their heads that people in the UK might mix up the Marvel Avengers movie with a really old TV show of the same name so they changed it…to Avengers Assemble. (And then everyone just called it Avengers anyway.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

Game designing is not done in a complete vacuum, I enjoy when there is a quick nod to another game. I’m sure there’s more examples, but off the top of my head I can think of a Hoth map in swtor named Aurek Base, and now there’s an Auric Basin in HoT. And while there’s a female baddie in GW2 named Faolain, there’s now a female baddie in swtor named Veylin [sounds the same ]. Swtor has had dungeons named flashpoints for a number of years, it’s good to see a LS episode also named that.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’m sure there’s more examples, but off the top of my head I can think of a Hoth map in swtor named Aurek Base, and now there’s an Auric Basin in HoT.

Those names actually are not related despite being phonetically similar.

“Aurek” in Star Wars is just the name of the letter “A” or rather the Aurabesh letter equivalent. “Aurik Base” can be literally be understood as “A Base” or “Alpha Base” and is a nod to real world militaries use of lettering for objectives.

“Auric” however is a actual real world word that means “relating to Gold” (which is extremely appropriate name for the area that contains Tarir)

“Faolain” is actually a Gaelic name that means “little wolf” SW:TOR’s “Veylin” seems to be a fake name that the writers just invented on the spot for the character.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

(edited by Crinn.7864)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Even when someone does think it’s an issue there’s usually an easy solution.

For example some people got it into their heads that people in the UK might mix up the Marvel Avengers movie with a really old TV show of the same name so they changed it…to Avengers Assemble. (And then everyone just called it Avengers anyway.)

On Amazon, among other places, people posted reviews for the Marvel franchise movie on the page for the movie based on the “really old TV show” (and vice versa). (The TV-based movie was a horrible travesty of the original concept; for a period of time, all of its 5-star reviews were for the Marvel movie.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Operation Flashpoint, only one of the greatest PC games ever made and basicly what ushered in the era of true wargaming (1 year ahead of Battlefield 1942)… and you think of DC comics?!?!

“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”

Bonus points for anyone that knows wtf I’m talking about, lol.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

ANET,

You do know its a common word. And Flashpoint in the DC universe means Flashpoint Paradox. Shortening it is dumb.

Posted by: Kyvrn.4209

Kyvrn.4209

If they ripped the entire DC Flashpoint storyline with Guild Wars 2 Characters than yes. Could they have been more creative with the title. Yes.

Kyvrn | Dom Chrono | Leader of Twinrovas [ROVA]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The title could be something that makes the most sense literally and figuratively depending on how they do the episode.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Guild Wars 2 : Flashpoint
(Return of Barry Allen).

:P

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

There is also a TV series and a movie both called Flashpoint along with tons of TV show episodes called the same.

There is no problem with this. :/

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

Operation Flashpoint, only one of the greatest PC games ever made and basicly what ushered in the era of true wargaming (1 year ahead of Battlefield 1942)… and you think of DC comics?!?!

“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”

Not everyone likes FPS games. Like me. Couldn’t care less about that or Battlefield or whatever. Flashpoint however is currently relevant as it’s included in the story arc for The Flash’s 3rd season.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Flashpoint is a scientific work. Are you sure DC wants to use the word without getting sued by thermophysicists?

Amaimon.7823

“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”

Not everyone likes FPS games. Like me. Couldn’t care less about that or Battlefield or whatever. Flashpoint however is currently relevant as it’s included in the story arc for The Flash’s 3rd season.

Likewise back at you, I had never heard of the DC hero before, I know Flash and that he has a show now, but really no more than mention of the name. So how is a DC comic character more relevant than a mission of a popular game?

Danikat.8537

“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”

Likewise back at you, I had never heard of the DC hero before, I know Flash and that he has a show now, but really no more than mention of the name. So how is a DC comic character more relevant than a mission of a popular game?

It’s not a character, it’s a series. (Assuming people are talking about the series and not the one-off Elseworlds story about the Flash.) Flashpoint is a massive cross-over storyline involving most major DC characters and affecting the plot of all their individual comics at the time (it started in 2011). At the end of it all the different versions of all the DC Comics franchises were merged into one coherent timeline and relaunched as ‘The New 52’ (because there are 52 different series).

In other words it was a big deal. Even people who didn’t normally read DC Comics were talking about it (although mainly other geeks and their friends, I’m not saying it drew massive mainstream attention but it was probably more talked about than say…a new WoW expansion).

But even so that still doesn’t give them exclusive rights to the name or mean anyone will be confused if it comes up elsewhere.

Amaimon.7823

It’s not a character, it’s a series. (Assuming people are talking about the series and not the one-off Elseworlds story about the Flash.) Flashpoint is a massive cross-over storyline involving most major DC characters and affecting the plot of all their individual comics at the time (it started in 2011). At the end of it all the different versions of all the DC Comics franchises were merged into one coherent timeline and relaunched as ‘The New 52’ (because there are 52 different series).

The fact that I didn’t know any of that just goes to show how little I know about these DC things. I mean, I like bats, but other than that.. yea..

In other words it was a big deal. Even people who didn’t normally read DC Comics were talking about it (although mainly other geeks and their friends, I’m not saying it drew massive mainstream attention but it was probably more talked about than say…a new WoW expansion).

Maybe it looks like a big deal when you know it’s happening. Then you start following the news about it, and then it looks big. If you know an expansion of WoW is coming, you start looking for news and going to forums and you talk with other people who like WoW. But really, it’s still a pretty confined world. The news doesn’t leak into the mainstream media, so if you’re not already in the circle, the chances of being sucked in are very small.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

“Faolain” is actually a Gaelic name that means “little wolf”

What??? Oh my god this is fecking Sam Hain all over again.

Danikat.8537

Most sylvari names are based on Gaelic or Celtic names. Although some are closer to modern Welsh.

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Most sylvari names are based on Gaelic or Celtic names. Although some are closer to modern Welsh.

Oh yeah I noticed the chef nearly called “food” and the artificer called “magic” and the warden called “farmer” but the pronunciation of Faolain made it completely pass me by unnoticed, so for me it’s like that time when I found out that when the people in Supernatural said “Sam Hain” they were getting it from Samhain.

Posted by: brosseau.4153

brosseau.4153

Flashpoint : “the lowest temperature at which vapors above a volatile combustible substance ignite in air when exposed to flame”

Like oil in a pan catching fire when it’s too hot. If Anet is sued for that, I could get sued everytime I say my name since I’m not the only one baring it.

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”
“Oh no… 1… is down!”
“Oh no… 2… is down!”
“Oh no… 5… is down!”

Because I would argue that the TV show is more popular than the game? Didn’t mean to sound disrespectful/rude btw, just came out that way.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Copyright law usually ties into if a product is distinguishable from each other.

“Flash Point” being an episode in an MMO video game, is very different than a DC paper comic book.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Danikat.8537

Oh yeah I noticed the chef nearly called “food” and the artificer called “magic” and the warden called “farmer” but the pronunciation of Faolain made it completely pass me by unnoticed, so for me it’s like that time when I found out that when the people in Supernatural said “Sam Hain” they were getting it from Samhain.

Oh I see. Yeah a lot of people pronounce it that way, particularly in America. I’m not sure if they think it’s an English word or just have no idea how else to say it. Although you’d think if you’re going to make a TV show called Supernatural you’d do a bit of research first.

I had a fun conversation once in Elder Scrolls Online trying to convince someone that my sorcerer Ilorwerth definitely wasn’t called Ill-or-worth or I-or-worth, and that when I said “just call him Iolo” (pronounced yolo) that was a genuine nickname.

On the plus side things like that make me feel a bit better about never learning to say Machynlleth correctly even though I lived in Aberystwyth for 3 years.