ArenaNet: Are these items obsolete now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: fizzypetal.7936

fizzypetal.7936

Howdy ArenaNet!

I’ve been hanging on to some items for a very long time because I wasn’t sure whether or not to destroy them. I was hoping that once the events were finished, the items would simply disappear, but that hasn’t been the case.

Are the following now obsolete or are they useful in some way that I don’t know about? Should I be deleting them now?

Orphan Laine’s Letter
Krait Obelisk Shard Transcriber
Evon Gnashblade Representation Buttons (are these going to reappear at some point)
Ellen Kiel Representation Buttons (as above)
Fortune Scrap (I have 209 – are these going to reappear in game again?)
Marjory’s Journal
Queen’s Gauntlet Entrance Tickets

I think that is it…

Thank you!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Queens Gauntlet Tickets and Fortune Scraps are something I’d hold onto. Marjory’s Journal I think calls up a cut scene, which is cool if you like that sort of thing.

I saved one of the Evan Gnashblade, Ellen Kiel things for a keepsake but they’re not useful anymore for anything other than that.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

Orphan Laine’s Letter starts the Star of Gratitude quest chain. If you have that item, then it is obsolete. Otherwise, you should go get the Star of Gratitude (you might need to wait for Wintersday to roll around again).

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’ve still got items from when the game launched. I’m also curious as to whether they will have any value other than sentimental.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

fizzypetal.7936

Suggestion to ANet: when quest or event items become obsolete, either because the event is over and not going to be repeated or the quest chain objective has been completed (as in the case of the Star of Gratitude quest line), associated quest items disappear from player inventory. Bag/Bank space is premium so it would be really, really great if a feature like this could be implemented.

(edited by fizzypetal.7936)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Suggestion to ANet: when quest or event items become obsolete, either because the event is over and not going to be repeated or the quest chain objective has been completed (as in the case of the Star of Gratitude quest line), associated quest items disappear from player inventory. Bag/Bank space is premium so it would be really, really great if a feature like this could be implemented.

I know of several players who intentionally save all of these various mementos. Some items have automatically disappeared and have upset some players who hang on to such items.

I believe it would be better to simply add a red-text notice on the item’s description after an even finishes and the item no longer has any use stating:

• This item no longer has any usefulness and is safe to destroy or sell.

This way, players who like to hang on to things from past events can. As it is, some items cannot be gotten again and were automatically removed from player inventories. They’re almost like trophies of accomplishments and keepsakes to show “I was there” and having them get automatically destroyed would not be ideal.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I know of several players who intentionally save all of these various mementos. Some items have automatically disappeared and have upset some players who hang on to such items.

I believe it would be better to simply add a red-text notice on the item’s description after an even finishes and the item no longer has any use stating:

• This item no longer has any usefulness and is safe to destroy or sell.

This way, players who like to hang on to things from past events can. As it is, some items cannot be gotten again and were automatically removed from player inventories. They’re almost like trophies of accomplishments and keepsakes to show “I was there” and having them get automatically destroyed would not be ideal.

I was just going to suggest such a thing. Maybe downgrade to grey quality (or not? that might make players feel the item was in some way deprecated?) but without a vendor price so it can’t be accidentally sold, or in the case of ‘event items’ for completed renown hearts, perhaps a vendor price should be added.

In all cases, though, an item should give some kind of obvious notification to the player once it no longer has any associated purpose.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, no. I still have Piece of Soggy Something-or-Other from the first Karka event. I have a souvenir of just about every event that’s been released. I would not be happy if items were ‘automatically removed’.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Yeah don’t remove automatically, some people like mementos.

But like StinVec mentioned a little bit of text saying it’s safe to delete would be nice, I’m always afraid something is going to be secretly useful later for something cool.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Superfrick.1536

Superfrick.1536

Or, I don’t know.. maybe add bank slots for them like materials?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Many are single item ‘souvenirs’. I don’t think they would add slots to the bank for such things.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

• Orphan Laine’s Letter – no more use, delete
  • Krait Obelisk Shard Transcriber – no more use, delete
  • Evon Gnashblade Representation Buttons (are these going to reappear at some point) – Still visual effect for Role pley or Lol’s
  • Ellen Kiel Representation Buttons (as above) – Same as above
  • Fortune Scrap (I have 209 – are these going to reappear in game again?) – You can trade those for goods at festivals vendors
  • Marjory’s Journal – This always server for lore purposes, it will not change. CLick to watch a cute cutscene with asian themed cute girl detetive
  • Queen’s Gauntlet Entrance Tickets – Those you can hold, Queens gauntlet is a recurrent event and will likely reapper at some point

Yw.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

OMG how could you forget the Giant Pearls from WvW Borderlands?!

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

I still have fortune scraps, found belongings and festival tokens. With the Zephyr Sanctum effectively closed for business and no telling when SAB is coming back, my bank is more a hoarding situation rather than effective storage.
I wouldn’t mind a way to archive them, but it would also be great if there was a vendor that were bigger hoarders than us (Skritt?) that would trade them at a 1:1 ratio for something useful.
We could clean our banks of items that will never see use again, and if they aren’t offered, we would know that we could hold on to them for the future.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: Superfrick.1536

Superfrick.1536

Many are single item ‘souvenirs’. I don’t think they would add slots to the bank for such things.

They should at least do it for the currency items in case they use the currency again. Y’know, like the socks and tickets.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Save the Queen’s Gauntlet tickets and the or tune scraps. Rest is probably safe to delete.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Currency would go in the Wallet, I would think.

fizzypetal.7936

I didn’t think about the saving of some as mementos. Nice catch! Maybe a better solution is as StinVec.3621 says and that would be to have a tool tip that says item is safe for deletion or there is another achievements type tab that allows you to store them.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I like the idea of communication letting us know if they will be useful in the future or not.

I do not like the idea of auto-deleting them if this is the case. Holding on to these for posterity is fun for flavor for some toons, and can be a nice reminder of old times.

My main in GW1 kept an extra chunk of ice from sorrows furnace that turns a warm one into a cold one, and still has it in her bag to this day. Also: stacks of red iris flowers to give to people

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

I still have fortune scraps, found belongings and festival tokens. With the Zephyr Sanctum effectively closed for business and no telling when SAB is coming back, my bank is more a hoarding situation rather than effective storage. …

Fortune scraps are still actively trade-able. There’s a festival vendor in the upper left corner of the LA map. You can also use festival tokens there, zhaitaffy, and candy corn.

Found belongings will never be useful again. They are done.

It would be nice if Anet put a note at the bottom of this stuff, maybe an expiration date?

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I keep everything. Still have my Candy-Powered Matter Meter.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I still have queen’s gauntlet tickets, a favor of the festival that needs 1600 festival tokens so I can get a mini panda (and now that the zephyrite ship is destroyed the chance of me actually getting those tokens is well, pretty much zilch right?), and then my favorite, an infinite continue coin, a relic from content we haven’t seen in 2 years, but anet won’t refund the gems I spent on it.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Ask the people who deleted stacks of unwanted bloodstone dust before Mawdrey came out. They will tell you to keep everything.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

What I would actually like to see is a Hall of Monuments kind of thing where you can actually attach the item to it and it would display in your home instance in some way. Then you would always have it and wouldn’t need to carry it around in your inventory. There is a huge variety of things this could include, not just random items like those mentioned by the OP, but also some of the rewards of those events like the Zephyrite statue.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

i still have glory booster

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

This one.

Anet, choose this one to do.

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

I’m borderline hoarder when it comes to this stuff. I’ve kept all but the Queen’s Gauntlet tickets, they were easy to get. Everything else is taking up bank space, but I can’t bring myself to delete them. I’d love to have some sort of display case in my home instance, in my own house! The house with the chest in it (Salma district, DR) is perfect to turn in to player housing.

Lack of a place to sleep aside, I’d like to keep these items in a display case or something like that; I certainly don’t keep rl keepsakes in the bank, they’re displayed at home where I can see them and remember good times

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

I still have several pieces of the 25 items needed for Scarlet’s chest in Durmond Priory when the giant marionette was active. Are those safe to delete?

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

OMG how could you forget the Giant Pearls from WvW Borderlands?!

with pleasure, I assume.