ArenaNet Math?

ArenaNet Math?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

So if you want to wear the adventurer’s goggles and mask together, you cannot just put both on your face? You need a helmet padding and strap too…

…could someone please explain the logic behind this to me? I was raised to believe 1+1=2, but apparently it’s 1+1+padding+strap=2?

I don’t get it…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

So if you want to wear the adventurer’s goggles and mask together, you cannot just put both on your face? You need a helmet padding and strap too…

…could someone please explain the logic behind this to me? I was raised to believe 1+1=2, but apparently it’s 1+1+padding+strap=2?

I don’t get it…

maybe to hold them together

and there is a way to make 2+2=5 w a certain maths formula (my friend was laughin and showed me some weird vid w a wall of maths of wich i got headache and closed it asap)

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: IDave the Rave.2163

IDave the Rave.2163

I don’t get it…

and there is a way to make 2+2=5 w a certain maths formula (my friend was laughin and showed me some weird vid w a wall of maths of wich i got headache and closed it asap)

As Wyrden says, it could be to hold them together. ThiBash your argument is like saying “Why won’t these two bits of paper stick to each other without glue? 1+1=2, not 1+1+glue=2.”

Is there any way you can provide proof of this 2+2=5 thing Wyrden? Most of the time when I see people post “proof” of things such as that 1=2 it comes down to people using shortcuts they were taught in school without bothering to actually understand what they currently have, so they end up trying to divide things by 0.

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

As Wyrden says, it could be to hold them together. ThiBash your argument is like saying “Why won’t these two bits of paper stick to each other without glue? 1+1=2, not 1+1+glue=2.”

So what’s keeping them on your head before then?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I don’t get it…

Welcome to academia.

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: IDave the Rave.2163

IDave the Rave.2163

So what’s keeping them on your head before then?

I can’t get on GW2 to check why they might need extra stuff right now. Are both the mask and the goggles attached to each other somehow? Considering that they are both combined to create one item it would make sense that they both need to be held together when not worn.

(edited by IDave the Rave.2163)

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I think the OP’s issue is that they look like things that could be worn together if there hadn’t been a game engine restriction that prevents it (Only one headpiece at a time).

I tend to agree. It makes little sense to need a craft at 400 just to wear 2 items at the same time that appear like they could be worn at the same time to begin with. Why not just let people use the mystic forge, or make it a basic level 0 crafting recipe?

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

2+2=5 w a certain maths formula

The 2+2=5 formula is a mathematical fallacy assuming that x²=y² can be simplified to x=y.

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The 2+2=5 formula is a mathematical fallacy assuming that x²=y² can be simplified to x=y.

It is NOT a fallacy that x=y is one of the solutions, however.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

This thread is ridiculous.

What kind of logic is this?

Sorry buddy but this is a game, and within a game there are coding restrictions. The game recognizes that there is only one item that can be considered to be applied to the face, and it is coded under the category of ‘Helm’. A goggle is considered a helm. A mask is considered a helm. Therefore, at any moment in time, you cannot wear two helms at the same time since that is the restriction.

You want both? Well goodness gracious Anet was kind enough to combine the two and design a skin that takes both the cosmetic appearances of a goggle and a mask and put it into one.

And that is why you have the two additional components of a padding and a strap. Those two additional components are a sink and gameplay design. This is how the game knows that you want to wear both the goggle and the mask at the same time.

So before you accuse Anet of having shoddy math, consider for a moment that these individuals who earn a salary designing and coding a game while working for a multi-million dollar company have some idea on why things are the way they are.

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I don’t get it…

Is there any way you can provide proof of this 2+2=5 thing Wyrden? Most of the time when I see people post “proof” of things such as that 1=2 it comes down to people using shortcuts they were taught in school without bothering to actually understand what they currently have, so they end up trying to divide things by 0.

its essentially a trick, that takes advantage of a lot of formulas to obscure that they are dividing by zero, which is not actually zero but people often evaluate it that way. 0/0 is any number.

ArenaNet Math?

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

It is NOT a fallacy that x=y is one of the solutions, however.

Yes it is. If it’s the equation that I’m thinking of, the penultimate to the “solution” is as follows:

(2+2-[9/2])² = (5-[9/2])²

Which they falsely simplify to 2+2-(9/2) = 5-(9/2)

A proper simplification is (-1/2)² = (1/2)² which is true.

You can’t simplify x²=y² to x=y. That’s not know squaring works. I don’t really care if anyone wants to think it can be a solution, just know that what you think is wrong.