ArenaNet Please Backup your Servers!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

There is a huge ransomware / Worm right now on the loose that is hitting hard globally called WannaCry and what it does is it encrypts your data and asks you to pay up or lose your data forever. Also any hard drives on the computer connected will be gone if infected by this ransomware.

Please ArenaNet make sure you update your WindowsOS and BackUp all your drives and servers to keep the game safe from this cyber attack and do NOT pay them a cent because they won’t be giving you the key to decrypt anything..

I do not want to see my favorite MMO get taken down because of this.
Please keep this game and it’s servers safe. =(

This WannaCry ransomwere has been hitting Hospitals and College education really hard, FedEX and Police stations too! So becareful ArenaNet! Stay safe!

Here is a Youtube video link that explains this further:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ543_0bjbw

(edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265)

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

I doubt Anet is still using windows xp… so don’t worry gw will stay safe. And they actually do decrypt your data if you pay. And I am pretty sure anet is aware as it has been all over the news.

It’s the companies own fault if they get infected. Kinda asked for it imo never patching your systems…

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Oh geez, you are being serious? There is no (not a single one!) modern professional company in the world that doesn’t automatically back up all their server data. It is a constant process, there are several back-ups being made as you play. Hence it is impossible for ArenaNet to “lose” anything.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Oh geez, you are being serious? There is no (not a single one!) modern professional company in the world that doesn’t automatically back up all their server data. It is a constant process, there are several back-ups being made as you play. Hence it is impossible for ArenaNet to “lose” anything.

I’m jus freaking out cause of how this virus hit hospitals and kitten…. it’s all over the news

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Did you read the news where it was stated that it was stopped?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Slowed down by luck.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39913630

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The same reports mentioned that it was probably straightforward for other ‘hackers’ to use the same technique to replicate , that it just takes one mistake by one person in an enterprise network, and that we got lucky that the ‘kill switch’ that shut down this infection was so easily discovered.

That said, companies serious about their data & software (such as ANet) already have disaster recovery protocols in place and already test them. Those that aren’t (yet) worried about it aren’t going to be able to make it happen overnight.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Ayrilana.1396

Slowed down by luck.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39913630

Yep. Doesn’t resolve already impacted systems and there will be copycats. It’s been stated that the scenario that allowed this to happen so widespread is rare.

Ayrilana.1396

The same reports mentioned that it was probably straightforward for other ‘hackers’ to use the same technique to replicate , that it just takes one mistake by one person in an enterprise network, and that we got lucky that the ‘kill switch’ that shut down this infection was so easily discovered.

That said, companies serious about their data & software (such as ANet) already have disaster recovery protocols in place and already test them. Those that aren’t (yet) worried about it aren’t going to be able to make it happen overnight.

That’s always been a risk for a long time which didn’t just suddenly increase because of recent events. Many of the articles mentioned this became so widespread because of a perfect storm of events.

Many companies already perform backups routinely and even back up the back ups.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

I doubt Anet is still using windows xp…

GW2 still uses dx9 so who knows.

Attachments:

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I doubt they use windows servers at all.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I doubt Anet is still using windows xp…

GW2 still uses dx9 so who knows.

They did say their engine was old and finicky…

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If ArenaNet did not regularly back up their data, how could they have done that roll-back several months ago, or how could they do Account Restorations?

I don’t think, OP, there is anything to worry about.

Good luck.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The only reason it caught the NHS out is that many of their computers still use Windows XP, because they use a lot of custom software which is difficult and expensive to upgrade to newer versions of Windows. Between the cost of buying Windows itself and the cost of the upgrades it just never happened.

Although maybe after this the people in change will get the hint that it’s worth doing.

Since Anet is a smaller company whose entire business is dependant on their computer systems working I think it’s safe to assume they’ll be more up to date, have more people who have capable of fixing computers if they do get infected and already have backups (and probably backups of the backups).

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

That’s always been a risk for a long time which didn’t just suddenly increase because of recent events. Many of the articles mentioned this became so widespread because of a perfect storm of events.

Many companies already perform backups routinely and even back up the back ups.

Right, good points. Security isn’t anything new. Disaster recovery isn’t anything new.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I doubt they use windows servers at all.

curl -I https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Cache-Control: no-cache
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
Content-Length: 0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Server: Quaggans
Set-Cookie: fangamer_core3=1955ecee3f47e1f8f3d97eeeef4611f5; path=/; HttpOnly
X-Powered-By: Phusion Passenger (mod_rails/mod_rack) 3.0.13
X-UA-Compatible: IE=Edge,chrome=1
X-Request-Id: e7665b726eee1031cfe85d98939291cb
X-Runtime: 0.011166
X-Powered-By: ARR/2.5
X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 01:28:12 GMT

the forums seems to be power by windows. I havnt check IP for the game.

Edit: dont know a way to check which server their game backend is using

https://boards.greenhouse.io/arenanet/jobs/591911#.WRkNVze1uis

based on their “server dev posting” i think they are using windows servers

(edited by loseridoit.2756)

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

hahahah, oh, sweetie, that is so adorably cute that you think that.

Seriously, though, I can tell you that you will happily find companies with hundreds of employees in the IT industry — let alone outside it — who don’t have backups, don’t have working backups, or don’t have complete backups. Probably more often than companies that do, honestly.

It’s … a depressing fact that our industry is really really kitten at that. Sad but true. Though at least marginally improved by the increasing prevalence of “cloud” services that will provide better support for data recovery than most small and medium businesses manage.

Speaking of which … have you checked your backups actually restore and work recently? It’s a good time to be sure that you get the data back out correctly, not just that you put it in…

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’d estimate that less than 5% of all companies have proper IT update, backup, and/or recovery tools in place.

For many, it is cheaper to just pay the ransom than it is to spend all the time and money on a proper security policy and system.

Server: Devona’s Rest