ArenaNet just shortened the Personal Story...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

From the update notes:

Chapter Focus:

• Chapter 7 is now focused on helping Trahearne cleanse Orr.
  • Chapter 8 is now focused on defeating Zhaitan.

Apparently they removed the entire fear storyline (the story steps between Forging the Pact and The Battle of Fort Trinity).

So I went onto my thief which had completed the PS and now it’s set up as:

Chapter 7:
Forging the Pact -> The Battle of Fort Trinity -> Against the Corruption -> Cathedral of Silence/Romke’s Last Voyage -> The Source of Orr

Chapter 8:
Temple of the Forgotten God -> Through the Looking Glass / Close the Eye -> What the Eye Beholds -> Estate of Decay / Starving the Beast -> A Grisly Shipment / Ossuary of Unquiet Dead -> Further into Orr -> (subsequent storylines) -> Victory or Death

This makes no sense. Why did they remove an entire story chapter and shuffle Chapter 8 around? I don’t think it’d make any sense now for The Source of Orr, as now we’re fighting the Sovereign Eye of Zhaitan before we fight regular Eye of Zhaitan and learn about it?

Is there a purpose behind this? Has the entire story involved changed? This makes no sense!

Apatia’s story was one of the best parts of the PS, imo, especially the latter, and the division of them was implemented so well with the Pale Tree asking players what their fear was and creating a division based off of that.

And now we’re going into the Cursed Shore via “air drop” well before we invade into Cursed Shore with the army. And the entire point of Chapter 7 previously was to obtain benefits for the army (the Blue Orb, recruits, etc.) while Fort Trinity was being built, but now it’s suddenly built just like that… It’s not even a division between story chapters for the gap, it’s just… there.

I just… what?

Can someone from ArenaNet please explain this to me, as I am truly baffled.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Konig Des Todes.2086

And I also realized:

• Tonn is talked about a few times, and even has an Ascended stat named after him. Now new players won’t know who the heck he is. Or that the Ascended stat description is inaccurate in calling him a charr…
  • The Blue Orb is important in The Battle of Fort Trinity, now it has zero context, because the entire process of obtaining the Orb is cut apparently.
  • The Source of Orr had credits and played Fear Not This Night – is this still true? It also had a gathering of all your allies throughout Orr’s adventures, now you don’t meet any of them, so… who’s defending the entrance now? No one?
  • You fight a major Eye of Zhaitan in The Source of Orr, but the Temple of the Forgotten God’s ending is all about meeting two powerful risen: the Eye of Zhaitan and the Mouth of Zhaitan; the following two steps are about finding out there’s more than one Eye. So… how’s this work now?

Honestly, I don’t get it. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. It has to have a dialogue overhaul else it makes no sense. But that’d cost money for all that new voice acting (mostly Sayeh and Trahearne I think though), and there was no real need to “fix” this. Why spend time, effort, and potentially money to fix something that doesn’t when we have the blunder of Season 1 that needs to be made permanent and hopefully have its plot improved greatly too?

This… just makes no sense to me. And this is becoming one of the last straws for the game’s story. Despite the rest of the Feature Batch, I’m highly tempted to just say “kitten it, I quit” after all of the clusterkitten of inconsistencies in Season 1 and 2, and now even the PS (arguably on a greater scale).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Did you play it yet, Konig?

I could see the fear storyline+claiming the orb coming as a prologue to the “Forming the Pact” step.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

Does it still come as a surprise to you that they still do things like this? As you mention here and as I’ve read other places, it isn’t really unprecedented…

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

After the Battle of Fort Trinity, I had the final two steps of the Apatia storyline. They still happen apparently, it’s just not listed in the journal anymore.

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

After the Battle of Fort Trinity, I had the final two steps of the Apatia storyline. They still happen apparently, it’s just not listed in the journal anymore.

See, no cause for alarm. It’s probably just a bug that they’re unlisted.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

No Tonn?! Good grief; that was one of the story threads that really choked me up. It was well done and heartbreaking; he was a great character who I actually did wish I could spend more time with.

If he is removed, it’s rather ignoble, all things considered.

EDIT: If it’s just a bug, then sigh of relief. I’ve a character or two nearing this point in the story, so I’ll have a look and see.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

That + the fact your character can’t have access to his whole skillbar before half way in the leveling process is seriously frustrating… How about they simple avoid using anything more than skill 1 and 6 till level 79, and then we can begin the stroyline?

I’m seriously disappointed :-/

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Lasur Arkinshade.4107

Lasur Arkinshade.4107

See, no cause for alarm. It’s probably just a bug that they’re unlisted.

The reorganisation of the story steps is still completely baffling and destroys the whole pacing and tone of the story arc.

Why did ArenaNet do this? Are they making changes for the sake of making changes now?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I really hope they haven’t removed the greatest fear storylines, I liked those.

And yeah, the new order would make no sense either unless they’ve done a lot of re-writing.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

I agree with Konig on this issue. Why take something out that has already been established and not explain why (in depth) it was taken out. If it was mechanical gameplay issues that caused the story to drag there, then why not just take everything out even the Zhaitan fight. Zhaitan’s final battle is probably the one thing that stands out more of being incomplete then anything else in the story. It is the testament to Arena Net’s principle design that has not been refurbished in the last two years. Rush everything out the door and never check for problems. If it become too much of an issue remove it latter, but don’t tell anyone why (or give cryptic explanations).

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

It seems like to get one good thing we need to surrender twice or thrice more… It’s saddening…

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Konig Des Todes.2086

That doesn’t explain why they shuffled around Chapter 8. With the new order, per the story jounal, you go from killing the Sovereign Eye of Zhaitan (The Source of Orr) to meeting “your first” Eye of Zhaitan (Temple of the Forgotten God) to the revelation that -gasp- there’s more than one Eye of Zhaitan (What the Eye Beholds). That is, unless they spent money to rework the voice acting of Trahearne, the PC, and Sayeh in those steps – which would cost enough money that one would wonder why Trahearne and the PC hasn’t had spoken dialogue in Season 2 yet.

So presuming that they just doubled the size of Chapter 7 so that the final two chapters are equal… why put the end of Chapter 8 into Chapter 7, rather than the beginning of Chapter 8?

Unless that’s a bug too and it won’t show it properly on my ranger – who is at Cathedral of Silence – because the Story Journal got messed up.

But if they didn’t reorder the story steps, then why the update notes suggesting they did? I guess I’d find out if I did two story steps (Cathedral + Source) but atm, this is just one big migraine that I can’t handle logging in atm.

Dear ANet writers,

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

No Tonn?! Good grief; that was one of the story threads that really choked me up. It was well done and heartbreaking; he was a great character who I actually did wish I could spend more time with.

If he is removed, it’s rather ignoble, all things considered.

EDIT: If it’s just a bug, then sigh of relief. I’ve a character or two nearing this point in the story, so I’ll have a look and see.

Personally, having never liked the Fear storylines to begin with, I don’t get how Tonn’s was gripping or well done. It was a buddy cop drama with “And he’s dead for no reason you ever see” and then you tell his wife who runs into Risen, despite being a Pact medic who should be all too familiar with death and the life they chose.

Very, very cliche, and it always felt forced and rushed to me. The Fear storylines always felt like a gigantic stumbling block to just stretch out the PS a liiiiiitle more. The only one that was really decent and actually seemed like it had some potential impact was the line you go down choosing Failure, which had the potential to shatter a fragile alliance that hadn’t been tempered. The other two just felt like “also rans” as far as any immersion in the story.

(edited by Calys Teneb.7015)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

They wanted to condense the steps into chunks of 10. That is why there is 8 steps now.
Chapter 1: lvl 10
Chapter 2: lvl 20
Chapter 3: lvl 30

Chapter 8 : lvl 80

I actually like it better this way. It’s more coherent now. Before, you would need to do personal stories for let’s say, level 6, level 9, level 14, etc. It was more fragmented, and then you would have to level up before continuing the story.

I should also add, that they needed to compromise on some steps, so they had to move some around within the 8 chapters.

Konig Des Todes.2086

They wanted to condense the steps into chunks of 10. That is why there is 8 steps now.
Chapter 1: lvl 10
Chapter 2: lvl 20
Chapter 3: lvl 30

Chapter 8 : lvl 80

I actually like it better this way. It’s more coherent now. Before, you would need to do personal stories for let’s say, level 6, level 9, level 14, etc. It was more fragmented, and then you would have to level up before continuing the story.

I should also add, that they needed to compromise on some steps, so they had to move some around within the 8 chapters.

That’s irrelevant to the discussion of the topic.

And in fact, the personal story was always divided into eight chapters – as players could tell by the acheivement unlocking and recently a stealth update with episode 2 or 3 that put the PS steps into 8 groups (the chapters).

The issue is that the story journal doesn’t document what was chapter seven, and 1/3rd of chapter 8 – the latter third – got tacted on to the end of chapter 7 according to the story journal.

It has no relation to unlocking or level grouping – if you want that, go to this thread someone else started.

And that last bit of your post makes no sense, since as I said it already was in eight chapters. Chapter eight was just three times longer than any other chapter. They could easily have made it 10 chapters if they wanted, to be honest, and it wouldn’t matter with the current unlocking system since it has to be done in order still anyways. There was no need of “compromise”. Because now instead of chapter 8 being 3 times longer than other chapters, chapter 7 and chapter 8 are twice as long (presuming that Xhyros is right in that the Fear storyline not showing up is a bug), and the order has changed for no bloody reason! If they needed to shorten chapter 8 via lengthening chapter 7, why couldn’t they move Temple of the Forgotten God to Further Into Orr (or the step prior to that one) into chapter 7, rather than taking the last 3 story steps of chapter 8 and moving them to before all the rest of chapter 8?

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

That it is sad Konig! I appreciate you taking the time to point this out. Apatia’s story as well as Tonn’s were perhaps the best as well as compelling parts of the PS. (God knows the ending was anticlimatic w/Zhaitan). The story lacks any sort of continuity now. Can’t for the life of me figure out why Anet destroyed the PS this way, so nonsensically.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

This is bizarre. Let’s see what the blog posts had to say about the Personal Story:

Blog Post

Personal Story

As another addition with the level-up guide, we’re updating the personal story steps using our new Story Journal so they come in story chunks that unlock all at once per chapter. When a story chapter is unlocked as a level-up reward, you’ll be able to play straight through the entire chapter from start to finish and not have any awkward starts and stops that throw off the storyline. In this way, story chapters become another big moment to look forward to earning and unlocking as your character levels up.

We’ve also taken this opportunity to go back and reevaluate the rewards of each of the major story chapters. We’ve done some pretty major overhauls to make the rewards for completing chapters feel much more compelling than they were in the past. Personal story chapters will absolutely be worth completing for your character as you progress. Similar to level-up rewards, we won’t be able to retroactively apply these to current level 80 characters, but all future characters you create or level up to 80 will benefit from this system.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/ArenaNet-just-shortened-the-Personal-Story/first#post4383237

Given that we had multiple weeks of update previews, most of which felt very minor, I see no reason why this should be coming as a surprise or lack any sort of explanation. I’m open to improvements to the Personal Story, but a little explanation would be appreciated, rather than just springing changes on us that seem to make it worse.

Even if I disagree with a decision, I’d at least like some indication that it’s had thought put into it. I just have no idea what’s going on now.

-throws hands in air-

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Are we certain the personal story missions were removed or are the journal entries just rearranged in the journal and still present in the game?

Redenaz.8631

Are we certain the personal story missions were removed or are the journal entries just rearranged in the journal and still present in the game?

That’s an excellent question, and a great reason why this should have been addressed in the feature pack previews.

Seriously, we had weeks of previews and blog posts. How did this not get explained?

Aarghleblarghle.

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

Whaaaaat??
Now I have to login and see, I did the first part of my Tonn-arc this morning.. I love that part of the story..

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

It seems like to get one good thing we need to surrender twice or thrice more… It’s saddening…

Yeah, this is getting really frustrating. This update today really missed the mark.

Konig Des Todes.2086

From posters, it seems that the fear storyline is not showing up in the story journal, but according to the update notes the cleansing of Orr bit (Against the Corruption to The Source of Orr) got moved to be in Chapter 7 (formerly just the fear storyline).

Dear ANet writers,

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This is bizarre. Let’s see what the blog posts had to say about the Personal Story:

Blog Post

Personal Story

As another addition with the level-up guide, we’re updating the personal story steps using our new Story Journal so they come in story chunks that unlock all at once per chapter. When a story chapter is unlocked as a level-up reward, you’ll be able to play straight through the entire chapter from start to finish and not have any awkward starts and stops that throw off the storyline. In this way, story chapters become another big moment to look forward to earning and unlocking as your character levels up.

We’ve also taken this opportunity to go back and reevaluate the rewards of each of the major story chapters. We’ve done some pretty major overhauls to make the rewards for completing chapters feel much more compelling than they were in the past. Personal story chapters will absolutely be worth completing for your character as you progress. Similar to level-up rewards, we won’t be able to retroactively apply these to current level 80 characters, but all future characters you create or level up to 80 will benefit from this system.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/ArenaNet-just-shortened-the-Personal-Story/first#post4383237

Given that we had multiple weeks of update previews, most of which felt very minor, I see no reason why this should be coming as a surprise or lack any sort of explanation. I’m open to improvements to the Personal Story, but a little explanation would be appreciated, rather than just springing changes on us that seem to make it worse.

Even if I disagree with a decision, I’d at least like some indication that it’s had thought put into it. I just have no idea what’s going on now.

-throws hands in air-

But it’s not a surprise, they clearly stated what they were doing in the blog post. 1) Break into Chapters. 2) All stories in the chapter unlock at the same time.

What did you think? That the first chapter was going to unlock at Level 1 with all stories doable by a level 1? No, last story was level 10 so whole chapter unlocks at level 10.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

The rearrangement is just weird and totally breaks the whole feeling of progression. For the end of chapter 7, you have a few missions deep in the Cursed Shore. You report to the airship to be “transported” there. Then all of a sudden for chapter 8 you have break into Orr on foot.

I have a feeling this wall all done to deal with the complaints of how Trahearne steals the show when he shows up by having his climactic finish happen way earlier at the end of chapter 7.

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

I would really like a dev post on the state of the “greatest fear” missions. They were great gut-punch missions, all of which had a callback to during Battle of Fort Trinity and shouldn’t be cut without really, really good reasons.

Also, put me on the record of saying moving the last three missions before Victory or Death to right after the Fort Trinity fight makes no kitten scene. Right before the final invasion push (i.e. Further into Orr)? Sure, I could see that, but level 70 missions that take you to a level 80 zone? and then you spend the rest of the personal story fighting your way back to that area? Wha???

Redenaz.8631

But it’s not a surprise, they clearly stated what they were doing in the blog post. 1) Break into Chapters. 2) All stories in the chapter unlock at the same time.

What did you think? That the first chapter was going to unlock at Level 1 with all stories doable by a level 1? No, last story was level 10 so whole chapter unlocks at level 10.

I’m…not sure what you’re talking about, Behellagh. I think you might be misunderstanding me. :\

I’m quoting that blog post to indicate that it said nothing about rearranging sequences. (Assuming the Fear storyline hasn’t been removed, and has just been shuffled / lost in the journal.)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m…not sure what you’re talking about, Behellagh. I think you might be misunderstanding me. :\

I’m quoting that blog post to indicate that it said nothing about rearranging sequences. (Assuming the Fear storyline hasn’t been removed, and has just been shuffled / lost in the journal.)

Oh sorry then, thought you were complaining about the story/chapter in general and somehow utterly misunderstood the blog post.

Now I’ve never done the PS at those levels yet but does this dev post help at all?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Did-I-loose-my-story-progression/first#post4383909

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

1) Labwan the Deceiver is my biggest enemy in this game. I remember the feeling of my character accidentally murdering an entire squad, the feeling of killing Labwan and bringing to light the plot but not being able to erase the guilt. That was one of the most emotionally resonant parts of the game for me. Then I got to experience the Apatia arc with my boyfriend’s character and Tonn on an alt… they all brought a feeling of weight to the responsibility of Commander of the Pact and tinted each character with a unique form of loss. The thought of this arc being gone is depressing to the point of tears.

2) Is the Greatest Fear arc missing from the journal a bug? Please god let this be a bug. I hate the nonsensical rearranging of the personal story to begin with, but to wipe this arc out completely will break my heart.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I think that instead of doing things like this, or making it so that players couldn’t train weapons until level 10 they should have been looking at the 1.5 years of suggestions in the suggestions folder archive to make their decisions on what to do next.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Alasia.9502

Alasia.9502

They just ruined it for no reason…

“An ill-fated love.”

Posted by: icaruswings.2034

icaruswings.2034

instead of freakn removing stuff they should fix zhaitan, i would totally re do it and it better be a good reward for the horrific fight and to a certain degree waste of time.

Redenaz.8631

Oh sorry then, thought you were complaining about the story/chapter in general and somehow utterly misunderstood the blog post.

Now I’ve never done the PS at those levels yet but does this dev post help at all?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Did-I-loose-my-story-progression/first#post4383909

Unfortunately, no. That dev post sorta-explains why the story sequences have been rearranged (although that introduces its own continuity errors,) but it doesn’t say anything about story sequences being removed entirely. (Which causes still more continuity errors, as well as shortening the personal story.)

Posted by: Hechicera.9816

Hechicera.9816

I can confirm it is NOT gone. I had a character on the step to go back and rescue Apatia before the patch. They are still on that step, it exists.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have several characters that still need to do their stories. I actually think I have a necro sitting on the the lvl 30 story to meet in LA. I will try to play through to verify that these arcs are (or are not) gone.

If they actually removed the Tonn arc, I will be extremely unhappy. I really liked that blast happy little asura, and I cry every time he dies on me.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

I can confirm it is NOT gone. I had a character on the step to go back and rescue Apatia before the patch. They are still on that step, it exists.

Maybe because you were already in the middle of that part of the story? That could explain why it was still available for you.

It would be interesting to get feedback from a player who just reached the supposedly missing “fear” part after the feature pack was introduced. If that player gets sent straight to fort trinity after forging the pact in concordia, then that would prove that the fear part is definitely gone.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This is why i say that Anet should go onto completely redesigning the whole personal Story to make in more consistent with all other game systems of gw2, like especially the living story system.
I go so far to say that it would be even the best for the whole game to merge the both story systems together, which dynamically know then when a story segment has to be done solo and when a story segment has to be done in the open world and when a story segment has to be done with the help of your npc friends as a group.

The whole system should become also completely independent of your character level, because then there would be no freaking need about it to split up the personal story now into 8 pieces of 8 different over 10 levels spread chunks of story pieces.
Anet could redesign the personal story under the living story system alot more challenging and interesting to play and especially REPLAYABLE for some extra challenging achievements just like with season 2 now.
This would hit also several flies with 1 stone, as people wish also since game release, that the personal story should become replayable so that you can reset your progress perhaps to make a different decision or just to have the chance to play with 1 character all of those story instances if you just like to do that, so that you don’t need to play multiple alts just to be able to see all of the personal story instances and play them in the end.

ANet must get rid of the Level Up Lock Barrier for getting new Skills
ANet must get rid of pointless mechanic Lock Barriers, that should be put better into the game as a serious well designed Tutorial Mission in every new characters Character Creation Instance, where you as a palyer can then decide, if you want to make them, or of you cpmpletely ignore them and SKIP this crap if you just don’t need it at all and want to learn the game through playing it in the classical trial and error-style through learning by doing.
Anet has to get to set back the unlock of elite skills and utility back to their old Level caps which were absolutely fine, why this pointless character progression slowdown?
ANet has to implement more ways how to learn Traits, other then buying them or doing silly tasks. How about finding simple Teacher NPC’s which teach you those traits and good is… peopel wanted back SKILL HUNTING, like in GW1 with Elite Skills, not TRAIT HUNTING bonded to unbalanced tasks that don’t fit into the level range of where you are when you need those traits ect.

I’m so far to say, that it woudl be the best for the game, if Anet would Re-release the whole game like basically a rebirth under finally its first real official expansion like SE did it with FF14 to give this game finally real new content to completely redesign with it the whole personal story system through a merge with the living story system, fix through this change the whole character progression system that this feature pack now so perfectly screwed up to turn it back to normal away from this dumbed down idiot niveau version and puts on top of all this tons of new content that this game absolutely needs by now, if ANet doesn’t want to see really soon a next big player exodus, because the kitchen is massively boiling over nearly and if ANet would be anyhow in touch with their community, they MUST sense this, when they go too far.

Such a rebirth-overhaul-expansion of the game would be now the absolutely right thing to brign back fresh air into the game, to revitalize it with real new content that continues there, where the last personal story ended and where most likely also season 2 will end too what would be the perfect opportunity for such a rebirth overhaul-expansion to clean up all this garbage here and to bring back the game in one go again back onto the right path from which all the living story stuff so far distracted us from together with now FP2’s bad changes to the overall character progression system.

Why am I so furious about the character progression system may some peopel ask?
Because I care alot about it, the Character Progression System is basically every single MMORPG’s heart.
Without a good designed and well thought out character progression system that gives a player content for several years, every MMORPG will be doomed to have no long lifespan, because people will quit quickly the games, if a MMORPG’s character progression is boring as hell, has no depth at all, is way too easy/absolutely unchallening or even goes so far like here now, that everything gets dumbed down to idiot niveau, so that is really starts to feel insulting to the playerbase.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I think this is a serious bug that Anet messed up again.
Now I missed the entire “The Source of Orr” quest on my character because his questline stop right at “starving the beast” when the patch launched.

The Orr has not been cleansed and Trehearned didn’t finish the job, and then suddenly I have to fight Zhaitan? (I am at Victory and Death now) WTH?

Also you guys promised to make loot better, but it was a complete lie. I remembered getting several good sigils from personal story on my other lv80 toons pre-patch. (Superior sigil of Force and Air), as well as berserker jewels. Now they’re all replaced with worthless loot bags and a useless yellow quality gear. How much lies are you going to feed us?

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

If you tell me this is not a bug, then what is?
My chapter 7 ended at “Sad Duty”, but my quest objective is “The Elder Dragon Zhaitan”

Anet you better fix this asap, or compensate me with something else.

Attachments:

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

My story progress went down from level 80 back to 70 :

Attachments:

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: MrTrainee.1052

MrTrainee.1052

oh my god the personal story is completely broken. I didn’t know about the old PS and the changes, I’ve only just done it for the first time. crazy stupid things are happening… i’ve seen someone i don’t know and never seen before who’s called “Sayeh al’ Rajihd” while we were cleansing Orr. and she talks to me as if we’ve met before and fought together and such. then a chapter later, we get introduced as if for the first time!!! and it’s not just her! in that mission where Trahe cleanses Orr and we are being defended by various NPCs, those NPCs – i’ve never met them but they all acted like we know each other, like we’ve spoken before, like we’ve fought together before. Even the eye of Zhaitan tells me i’ve already fought his lesser eyes before, which i DIDN’T!!! I thought "how can this be?! i’m really heavy into lore and haven’t missed anything! did I just somehow forget them? was it one of the hearts for map completion?! what?! in another chapter we start talking about Tonn’s death and about his wife – and i have no idea what the hell they are talking about. who’s Tonn?? who’s his wife? when did we ever meet? what is going on?! puzzled and angry, i googled “GW2 personal story shortened?” cause that was my suspicion and what do you know, i found this forum post! they need to either fix tons of dialogues and NPC appearances or they need to return it to the way it was PRONTO! i was soooo into the story and lore and this just threw me way out of the atmosphere…

~A.v-D~

(edited by MrTrainee.1052)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Imo they should completely revamp the whole Personal story system and merge it with the living story system. Basically make out of 2 just 1 system with the old PS basically turned and redesigned into “Season 0”

This together with a complete redesign of the last story mission/Battle against Zhaitan.

But naturally, that wouldn#t be an easy task, the whole voice acting would have to be remade, and that alone takes time and effort, but that should be worth it, because the current systems, are to fractured, it isnt fun anymore thanks to the senseless NPE crap that dumbed also by the way the whole beginner maps down to mental ill niveau, just to mention …

The stupid NPE ruined more royally, than it did anything good to the game imo.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Sir Alric.5078

Sir Alric.5078

oh my god the personal story is completely broken. I didn’t know about the old PS and the changes, I’ve only just done it for the first time. crazy stupid things are happening… i’ve seen someone i don’t know and never seen before who’s called “Sayeh al’ Rajihd” while we were cleansing Orr. and she talks to me as if we’ve met before and fought together and such. then a chapter later, we get introduced!!! and it’s not just her! in that mission where Trahe cleanses Orr and we are being defended by various NPCs, those NPCs – i’ve never met them but they all acted like we know each other, like we’ve spoken before, like we’ve fought together before. i thought "how can this be?! i’m really heavy into lore and haven’t missed anything! did i just somehow forget them? was it one of the hearts for map completion?! what?! in another chapter we start talking about Tonn’s death and about his wife – and i have no idea what the hell they are talking about. who’s Tonn?? who’s his wife? when did we ever meet? what is going on?! puzzled and angry, i googled “GW2 personal story shortened?” cause that was my suspicion and what do you know, i found this forum post! they need to either fix tons of dialogues and NPC appearances or they need to return it to the way it was PRONTO! i was soooo into the story and lore and this just threw me way out of the atmosphere…

^ THIS

Luckily, i had already completed the personal story once with my elementalist before the patch messed it up, otherwise i wouldn’t have been able to undestand what was going on.
I was really, REALLY disappointed when i played the PS again with my ranger and i got this….. CRAP. Now the story is just broken and makes no sense whatsoever, for the reasons this person i quoted pointed out.

I hope ArenaNet acknowledges the mistake they made and fix this asap.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I believe since this refers to the same storyline, this reponse from our narrative director would apply to the situation described in this thread. If they are different problems, please let me know. I feel that overall the same information about “My Greatest Fear” and its future corrections would also apply here.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: MrTrainee.1052

MrTrainee.1052

I believe since this refers to the same storyline, this reponse from our narrative director would apply to the situation described in this thread. If they are different problems, please let me know. I feel that overall the same information about “My Greatest Fear” and its future corrections would also apply here.

Thanks.

I don’t know what the future corrections will be, but whatever they are – there are numerous NPC appearances and dialogues that are wrong chronologically or just shouldn’t exist anymore, both before during and after chapters 7 and 8. If the story isn’t going to return to how it was, these matters are what need to be addressed most.

~A.v-D~

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

Thanks.

Well. Perhaps we could get the “narrative” director to explain why the changes were made in the first place. Changes that, as he/she even noted, need to be fixed. Simplest fix, restore the proper chronological order and put back in the pieces that are missing.

No shame in a rollback. That goes double for Traits.

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Thanks.

This is deffinitly the same topic Gaile, can you merge these threads please?

Konig Des Todes.2086

Thanks.

This is deffinitly the same topic Gaile, can you merge these threads please?

I was going to suggest this.

There are over a dozen threads on this – this one, which I started, and “My Greatest Fear Plotline” thread were made roughly at the same time. Many were started up as these threads died down – only the My Greatest Fear Plotline thread remained active for the two-going-on-three months the matter has been around.

Well. Perhaps we could get the “narrative” director to explain why the changes were made in the first place. Changes that, as he/she even noted, need to be fixed.

I would love to know why someone thought the changes were a good idea…

But what’s more important is that they’re fixed. Preferrably by reverting and not trying to fix all the dialogue (because you’re going to need a lot more than simple dialogue fixes to actually fix things).

Dear ANet writers,