ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: InfernoHero.5687

InfernoHero.5687

Alright, so a lot of the vets of Guild Wars 2 (Playing for at least a year or more) will agree with me when I say ArenaNet’s pretty solid in their rules. Harassing players/Interrupting farms/Botting/Anything of that nature gets you into trouble.

However, one thing has changed, and the argument could be made that it was never changed at all. It’s just been always misunderstood until now

Macros

With the recent rule change that allows you to use macros for music, I feel that it’s time to finally clear two things up, so if an authority on this matter could answer the following two questions, that’d be freaking awesome and I’d owe them a cookie.

Question One: Is there ANY kind of macro that would still cause trouble if ONLY used for playing instruments? For example: I have six programmable buttons on my keyboard. If I program one of them to play the full version of Swan Lake at 200% speed, would that get me kicked off of this lovely game faster than I could say Omnomberry?

Question Two:Does ArenaNet still hold the policy that EVERY third party program is a super quick ban?

Gaile Gray, an ArenaNet staff member has said the following:

Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol. This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.

For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.

You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.

You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.

Source: http://gw2.gameguyz.com/news/news/arenanet-s-clarification-on-macros-and-multi-boxing-in-guild-wars-2.html

So, does that mean that programs such as Combat Mode (A program that allows you to use your mouse keys as your first and second skills, and never changes anything other than what keys you press) is fine? Left Click becomes your first skill and Right Click becomes your second skill. Is this ok to use? It fits Gaile’s description of something that is perfectly fine.

While I understand that ArenaNet can not say “Yes, it is OK to use this program” as that would cause players to look at ArenaNet and expect them to solve issues with that program, I would hope ArenaNet would be safe in telling the forum community if they would be banned for using this type of program OR if there is anyway for ArenaNet to detect this kind of program.

For further information on Gaile’s thoughts of Combat Mode, please view the attached image.

Attachments:

(edited by InfernoHero.5687)

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Why take the risk? I say no to macros whether they are allowed or not. If you can’t play a game without using macros (whether it’s Guild Wars 2 or Solitaire), you probably shouldn’t play the game!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

They recently greenlit macros for instruments, there is no statement of that in their Terms of Service which is really confusing.

Their definition is very unclear so it’s basically a “do whatever you want and we may or may not ban you” policy.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

One Anet employee (I forget the name) has said in another thread about this they don’t support macros or give it their OK for instruments but aren’t going to ban players over it since it doesn’t give the player any advantage game play wise.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Question Two:Does ArenaNet still hold the policy that EVERY third party program is a super quick ban?

They never said anything like that. What they said is that using any third party software is against EULA and can get you banned. They do ignore some of those programs if they think they are innocent, but they would never officially okay any (because they’d then need to continually keep vetting any new update for such program, for every program that they okayed).

They are giving general guidelines you need to follow to be safe (the “one click – one action” model), but they have made sure that if they do decide you have crossed the line, there will be no lawyering out of it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

The only “third party programs” they really care about is the ones that give players an unfair advantage in the game, hacks and stuff like that. A third party program that plays an instrument Anet won’t say it’s OK to use but have said they wont ban players over it.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Jedy.9247

Jedy.9247

Would razer synapse clasify as 3rd party program? for Arena net?

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Astralporing.1957

Would razer synapse clasify as 3rd party program? for Arena net?

Depends on what you’d be doing with it.

Actions, not words.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Only thing that would get a ban is AFKing and press 111 auto attacking on a major event that got repeated reward on event like Scarlet invasion , Drytop, Silverwastes.Because you get something by just pressing 1 button and the program repeat the rest of the action then you get something valuable out of it.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

InfernoHero.5687

He is yet another example of Arena Net causing mild confusion.

The official Guild Wars 2 keyboard allows for these macros. (See attached image.)

Attachments:

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

ANET’s actual (not explicitly stated) macro policy: If we can detect it, and we want to ban you, we will. Otherwise, we won’t. The determination of whether or not we want to ban you is solely at our own discretion.

Could they come up with a clear, and relatively unambiguous macro policy? Of course. But it’d require a pretty serious amount of careful deliberation, and probably hiring a technical writer.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Astralporing.1957

ANET’s actual (not explicitly stated) macro policy: If we can detect it, and we want to ban you, we will. Otherwise, we won’t. The determination of whether or not we want to ban you is solely at our own discretion.

Could they come up with a clear, and relatively unambiguous macro policy? Of course. But it’d require a pretty serious amount of careful deliberation, and probably hiring a technical writer.

And a lawyer. When you have clearcut rules, you will always find people trying to find loopholes. And willing to argue for hours that their interpretation of the rules is the right one.
And since GW2 (like every MMO) does have in its EULA the point that says that Anet can ban you with no explanation at their own discretion, without needing any reason for that, they don’t need to create clearcut rules. Just the guidelines.
And remember, one of the things they keep saying is “If you are unsure if that can get you banned, it most likely can. Err on the side of caution”

Which is reasonable, because most people that ask those questions are those that do want to use something that will give them advantage… just in a way that will let them plead innocence later.

Actions, not words.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

InfernoHero.5687

And a lawyer. When you have clearcut rules, you will always find people trying to find loopholes. And willing to argue for hours that their interpretation of the rules is the right one.
And since GW2 (like every MMO) does have in its EULA the point that says that Anet can ban you with no explanation at their own discretion, without needing any reason for that, they don’t need to create clearcut rules. Just the guidelines.
And remember, one of the things they keep saying is “If you are unsure if that can get you banned, it most likely can. Err on the side of caution”

Which is reasonable, because most people that ask those questions are those that do want to use something that will give them advantage… just in a way that will let them plead innocence later.

Most games have a “We can ban you for anything” rule

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Some won’t get banned, some will.

Anyhow, if you use a macro that’s doing more than one input event (not to mention using timers), it often is only a matter of time because you get banned for it.

I wouldn’t risk it. Common sense dictates that if you’re going to let a robot play in your stead, you might as well not play at all.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Nothing is unclear, Macro’s aren’t allowed if they give you an advantage at completing content or an advantage in PvP.

There’s nothing confusing about it at all.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, does this mean we can use these music macros to play Bell Choir? If not, how does the game know the difference? Or is it just a matter of reporting people who seem good at the content?

Seems like a bad idea to me. /shrug

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

So, does this mean we can use these music macros to play Bell Choir? If not, how does the game know the difference? Or is it just a matter of reporting people who seem good at the content?

Is that the mini game? If so and you use a macro for it, you’ll be warned/banned if you have a multi action macro and are found out, since it’s giving an advantage at completing game content (and a kind of pvp?).

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

What’s more interesting is that their reasoning for allowing instrument macros is that it doesn’t give a gameplay advantage.

So click macros for when you need to repeatedly click hundreds of times (opening bags, buying certain items from merchants, for example) should be allowable under the same reasoning. If the fear is that you are able to open bags faster than others, giving you an advantage, then it should be fair if your click macro clicked slower than human fingers. The point is that you get the benefit of not damaging your click finger or your mouse.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Astralporing.1957

So, does this mean we can use these music macros to play Bell Choir?

Of course not. That would be “confering advantage”

If not, how does the game know the difference?

Anet will not tell you, but the methods do exist, and if they’ll catch you, you will get suspended/banned.

Actions, not words.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The point is, many will assume they can, and it will be a support nightmare. Not only there, but anywhere. Players already say, if we (the players) can use a macro for instruments because it confers no gameplay advantage, then they should be ok for taking screenshots, opening bags, consuming alcohol…

Previously, it was stated by the Devs that opening bags and/or consuming alcohol with a macro was not allowed. I think there is a fine line at what constitutes advantageous gameplay.

Personally, I don’t care about macros; I don’t use them, nor have any interest in them. I do, however, think that allowing macro use in one place will just lead to a headache for the support team, and another division of the playerbase as to what constitutes an advantage and what does not.

Let’s hope there is never any open-world content that might benefit from the use of a macro, such as a puzzle (like a pipe organ) or Simon Says or anything that might be automated next to a player that could be playing an instrument.

I don’t think part of the playerbase will want to be left out of rewards because they choose not to use a macro.

As I said, it does not bode well.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

I feel there should be something added to the policy abouting using macro’s:
“Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol. This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions TO GAIN AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE TOWARDS OTHER PLAYERS”

That should IMO be sufficient; In the OP’s case..playing an instrument does NOT give you an unfair advantage towards other players..it even could be some nice addition the playing (Being a musician myself, I appreciate other people’s creative compositions )

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

He is yet another example of Arena Net causing mild confusion.

The official Guild Wars 2 keyboard allows for these macros. (See attached image.)

I would hesitate to call any of those macros.

A majority of them are simply chat-based commands, some others are single-keypress actions that you can find in the in-game keybindings menu. A few of them appear to be found in right-click context menus (or at least most used from there, they could also be chat commands).

I’m going to assume that ANet doesn’t consider composing a chat message as multiple game actions, so you are still one input event per game action; otherwise we would all be guilty of using the malicious macro known as Ctrl-V;

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: JCROY.5730

JCROY.5730

Is that the mini game? If so and you use a macro for it, you’ll be warned/banned if you have a multi action macro and are found out, since it’s giving an advantage at completing game content (and a kind of pvp?).

I do not think a macro is capable to cover this specific mini game..even the slightest lag/latency screws up this game hahaha (it happens even when I play this mini game as it is supposed to be played..you press a button and due to lag, it doesnt hit the note on the right spot)

“see cow, grab bundle, feed cow?”

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

InfernoHero.5687

I do not think a macro is capable to cover this specific mini game..even the slightest lag/latency screws up this game hahaha (it happens even when I play this mini game as it is supposed to be played..you press a button and due to lag, it doesnt hit the note on the right spot)

How would that mini game even work with a macro? Assuming the mini game simply tells you what notes to hit, you can’t really program anything other than a full-on hack that’s built to play a simon says minigame.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

Posted by: nasi.4785

nasi.4785

Sequences of keystrokes and/or mouse actions = macro
1 key to 1 function = keybinding
Macro is not allowed, keybinding is ok. Seems clear to me. But maybe I’m thinking to simple.

ArenaNet's Macro Policy?

InfernoHero.5687

Sequences of keystrokes and/or mouse actions = macro
1 key to 1 function = keybinding
Macro is not allowed, keybinding is ok. Seems clear to me. But maybe I’m thinking to simple.

Please view the following thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/audio/Sad-truth-of-playing-the-ingame-instruments/first