ArenaNet's stance on Macros

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

Firstly, I want to make it VERY clear. This post does not support violation of the rules and does not support botting.

I’d like to address ArenaNet’s stance on macros, in particular the part of Gaile’s post
Link Here
Macros
Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol.
This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok

Now, the parts in bold are what I take issue with. Simply google “Definition of macros” and you get the following:

Macros
A single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions

ArenaNet’s stance actually disallows the use of actual macros and this is what I take issue with. Were I to set a macro on my G15 keyboard to say hit “ZXC”, which is what I have my utilities set to on my warrior (set as 3 shouts), I’d be in violation. I feel this is silly. Efectively ArenaNet’s stance, unless I’m mistaken, says “We do not allow macros, but we do allow you to use shortcut keys”

I can agree with ArenaNet taking a stance that would disallow the use of lengthy macros, i.e. one that would effectively complete a dungeon for you.

I believe ArenaNet needs to draw a line somewhere, but not here. A macro is used to perform a set of actions, not a single one and I think the definition was somehow lost in Gaile’s post. I’d urge ArenaNet to revisit this, as their current stance does NOT allow macros, but just extra keybindings.

To finish, I’d like to reiterate what I said earlier, I do not encourage or support the use of botting programs, scripts or anything that would provide anyone with significant advantage in game, nor would I suggest using “G-Keys” to fire off more than 1 skill. I suggest to ArenaNet that they revisit this policy or at least reword it into a simple “No, Macros are not permitted”

Also, should this thread be in the wrong section, I’d ask that any moderators or ArenaNet staff kindly move this and if I have misread or misunderstood the post made by Gaile, that I be corrected. Thank you.

noice

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Hmm i do wonder making a macro to type a certain thing into chat (for example on my Mesmer could be handy to say something like “Time Warp coming up in 2 seconds” or something before actually casting it, so ppl know that I’m about to cast it and thus they should try and not be too spread out if possible, would that count as multiple actions? I think the real problem here might be we dont really know ANet’s definition of “an action”

Posted by: Exterminans.9723

Exterminans.9723

I’d like to address ArenaNet’s stance on macros, in particular the part of Gaile’s post
Link Here
Macros
Guild Wars 2 players are permitted to use macros as long as the macros are programmed with a 1 key for 1 function protocol.

Think outside the box

It says that one keypress may result in only one action, but it doesn’t say it has to be the same action every time you press the button. So you are theoretically allowed to write yourself a makro, which cycles your skills every time you press the button (or maybe even is aware of the situation, think of a “do what i want”-button :P ). You are only not allowed to reduce the number of interactions required to perform a certain action, however you are allowed to reduce complex interactions to repeatedly pressing the same key.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

The post made by Gaile :

This means that if you program a macro, it must require one keystroke per action. You may not program a single key to perform multiple functions.
For example, if you Press A and it results in the casting of a single skill, you’re ok. If you Press A and it casts multiple spells, you’re not ok.
You cannot program a macro to perform the same or multiple actions on more than one account at a time.
You cannot program an “auto-clicker” macro that, for instance, opens chests while you play elsewhere.

Is the reflect of our Guild Wars 2 User Agreement and any other rules you agreed to follow when creating your Guild Wars 2 account.

The forums are not the place to discuss about our Policy for 3rd-Party Programs; Multi-Boxing; Macros, therefore this thread is now locked.

If you have any other concerns or questions about this, please submit a ticket to our customer support team.

Thank you for your understanding.

(edited by Moderator.6837)