Arenanet has broken its promise

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You know, the information found in Wikis is only as good as the lay-person editing the page. Anyone can edit a page and place whatever information they choose.

There aren’t enough non-stardard MMO-type games, probably, to merit a CORPG separate entry.

Of course, that doesn’t make a game any less a CORPG, rather than a true persistent-world MMORPG.

Just need to point out that GW2 does not have a true persistant world either. It’s all instances. So I guess GW2 is a CORPG too

Well if you want to get technical, WvW maps are persistent if nothing else, even if they reset once a week. But the meaning is clear.

Guild Wars 2 has a world were MASSIVE amounts of players can PLAY together at the same time. Guild Wars 2 didn’t.

That’s the point of a massively multiplayer online game. In Guild Wars 1 you played with at most 11 other people. No one I know would consider that massively multiplayer.

Playing with 100 people at the same time in the same event? That’s more like what an MMO means.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

You know, the information found in Wikis is only as good as the lay-person editing the page. Anyone can edit a page and place whatever information they choose.

There aren’t enough non-stardard MMO-type games, probably, to merit a CORPG separate entry.

Of course, that doesn’t make a game any less a CORPG, rather than a true persistent-world MMORPG.

Just need to point out that GW2 does not have a true persistant world either. It’s all instances. So I guess GW2 is a CORPG too

Well if you want to get technical, WvW maps are persistent if nothing else, even if they reset once a week. But the meaning is clear.

Guild Wars 2 has a world were MASSIVE amounts of players can PLAY together at the same time. Guild Wars 2 didn’t.

That’s the point of a massively multiplayer online game. In Guild Wars 1 you played with at most 11 other people. No one I know would consider that massively multiplayer.

Playing with 100 people at the same time in the same event? That’s more like what an MMO means.

If you really want to get technical, several of the seasonal events definitely let you play with a large amount of players at the same time.

Not to mention community events held just as massively.

It’s alot more sensible to put GW1 in a gray area between MMO and just MO, than to hold on to some ideal MMO standard that is most likely changing over time. I mean, really, the only thing that is being held onto is the amount of players you’re playing with, all the while the similarities between each of the games are extensive and very obvious.

Plus, even GW1 had grind. There were lots of even more grindy farming methods than gw2 has. Ranger trapping in UW, 55HP monk solo, 600hp monk solo, etc.

Wanted an Icy dragon sword? Get ready to farm. Wanted obsidian armor? Get ready to farm. Crystalline Blade, anyone? And all of it was RNG.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Vayne.8563

If you really want to get technical, several of the seasonal events definitely let you play with a large amount of players at the same time.

It’s alot more sensible to put GW1 in a gray area between MMO and just MO, than to hold on to some ideal MMO standard that is most likely changing over time. I mean, really, the only thing that is being held onto is the amount of players you’re playing with, all the while the similarities between each of the games are extensive and very obvious.

Plus, even GW1 had grind. There were lots of even more grindy farming methods than gw2 has. Ranger trapping in UW, 55HP monk solo, 600hp monk solo, etc.

Wanted an Icy dragon sword? Get ready to farm. Wanted obsidian armor? Get ready to farm. Crystalline Blade, anyone? And all of it was RNG.

I might agree with you if Anet themselves have said that Guild Wars 1 wasn’t an MMO, both directly and implied by the original Guild Wars 2 FAQ. I don’t think it’s going out too far on a limb to say that Anet knows what they’re making better than either you or I.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I would say Ayrilana did address one of your points. Please read your own post. You were the one that claimed GW1 was an MMO.

lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars
“Guild Wars is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG)”

Well if GW’s own wiki calls it a MMORPG then it must be one. Great source. Next we will learn that Snowden Drifts is a tropical paradise because someone updating the GW2 wiki made an entry saying it is. /facepalm

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I would say Ayrilana did address one of your points. Please read your own post. You were the one that claimed GW1 was an MMO.

lol

The wiki also got recently changed on April 27th to show MMORPG where it has been shown as competitive/cooperative online rpg.

lol
Because there’s no such thing as a “CORPG”.
That’s a term coined by anet to make GW1 stand out.

Gw2, WoW, ESO, those are all MMORPGs. GW is a lobby game with instanced maps. The difference is in the playing area. While you can stand around in the cities, the actual maps you play on in GW are solo to up to 8 people. Up to 8 people is not Massively Online for the parts where people play.

cool

So if I go and edit the wiki put in single player game you would then claim it was a single player game?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

lol

The wiki also got recently changed on April 27th to show MMORPG where it has been shown as competitive/cooperative online rpg.

lol

Gw2, WoW, ESO, those are all MMORPGs. GW is a lobby game with instanced maps. The difference is in the playing area. While you can stand around in the cities, the actual maps you play on in GW are solo to up to 8 people. Up to 8 people is not Massively Online for the parts where people play.

cool

So if I go and edit the wiki put in single player game you would then claim it was a single player game?

Who are you talking to?

At any rate, ANet said it’s a CORPG rather than an MMO. I’m going to say they know what it is more than random, anonymous people who update the wiki.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

lol

Well if GW’s own wiki calls it a MMORPG then it must be one. Great source. Next we will learn that Snowden Drifts is a tropical paradise because someone updating the GW2 wiki made an entry saying it is. /facepalm

That’s not GW’s own wiki, but Wikipedia.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

lol

lol

cool

Who are you talking to?

At any rate, ANet said it’s a CORPG rather than an MMO. I’m going to say they know what it is more than random, anonymous people who update the wiki.

The one I quoted Mavis ofcourse.

jheryn.8390

lol

That’s not GW’s own wiki, but Wikipedia.

LOL. I stand corrected. I didn’t bother clicking the link. Just saw guild wars.

But it doesn’t matter which wiki it is. Just because it says something on a wiki doesn’t mean it is true, factual, or otherwise.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I might agree with you if Anet themselves have said that Guild Wars 1 wasn’t an MMO, both directly and implied by the original Guild Wars 2 FAQ. I don’t think it’s going out too far on a limb to say that Anet knows what they’re making better than either you or I.

Players are just as familiar with GW1 and GW2, or any other finished game, as the studio that made the game. Players are as skilled as any studio at game taxonomy. Of course this is not true of the back end, just the playable content. I agree with FrizzFreston.

Parsing the minutiae of game taxonomy does not help a studio be more innovative. Innovation blurs the lines that divide one game type from another and if we want innovation we need to yield to the position that game taxonomy can be inexact.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

@ zealex.9410

I agree that it is but it feels like a chore and isnt interactive in anyway. Its really us the players replaying the same story mode over and over.

Which goes back to the OP, did Anet break there promise? In the current system you have to say they did. The current LW/LS is exactly what they said they wouldnt do.

idk man i would hate this game if i just sterted playing it only to find that i have missed the first 2 seasons and an expansions and i cant acess them anymore. But still their current format doesnt stop them from doing bold changes on the world and i could honestly comment them on doing so since that was a huge selling point for me.

Just a flesh wound.3589

lol

lol

cool

Who are you talking to?

Ok. She said cool which I thought meant she was agreeing with me that it wasn’t an MMORPG so I wasn’t sure.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

lol

lol

cool

Who are you talking to?

Ok. She said cool which I thought meant she was agreeing with me that it wasn’t an MMORPG so I wasn’t sure.

so what is it is it a single player ish game or an mmo?

Just a flesh wound.3589

n

lol

lol

cool

Who are you talking to?

so what is it is it a single player ish game or an mmo?

It’s in a gray area between MMO and single playerish. The lobbies (cities) could hold multiple people but the maps were sharply limited and instanced to one party only, and many people played the game like a single player game with NPC companions.

I don’t consider it an MMORPG for those reasons. I consider it a lobby game with instanced maps.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

lol

lol

By that definition, there’s no such thing as stainless steel (a termed coined by a company attempting to pass off “silverware” not made of silver). Every modern term, including MMO, started as someone’s idea of how to label something that they thought important.

MMO has become a catch all for any game that allows an arbitrary number of people to play at any given time. That’s the part that GW1 includes — there’s no limit for sign ups.

But in practice, people play MMOs to share maps with massive amounts of players. GW1 can’t do this. Most maps only allow 8 people (with exceptions of 4, 6, and two with 12).

That’s why ANet called it a Cooperative game rather than an MMO — not to “stand out,” but to temper people’s expectations of the gameplay.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

FrizzFreston.5290

You hold way too much value in the terms itself. The "CORPG"term itself changed from Competitive ORPG to Cooperative ORPG as GW1s focus shifted from PvP to more PvE with Nightfall and EotN. So the whole term is slippery slope at best, and to be fair, it may as well have been a PR stunt, because that is actually a great idea, as long as you can live up to it.

Because it’s both instanced and has big populated towns where massive amounts of players can interact with eachother, it is very much in the gray area between an MMO and a normal MORPG. Whether you call that CORPG or just a different kind of MMO, I don’t really care.

FrizzFreston.5290

lol

lol

By that definition, there’s no such thing as stainless steel (a termed coined by a company attempting to pass off “silverware” not made of silver). Every modern term, including MMO, started as someone’s idea of how to label something that they thought important.

MMO has become a catch all for any game that allows an arbitrary number of people to play at any given time. That’s the part that GW1 includes — there’s no limit for sign ups.

But in practice, people play MMOs to share maps with massive amounts of players. GW1 can’t do this. Most maps only allow 8 people (with exceptions of 4, 6, and two with 12).

That’s why ANet called it a Cooperative game rather than an MMO — not to “stand out,” but to temper people’s expectations of the gameplay.

Is that your deduction, or do you have a quote, because I never heard them say that.. Or I might’ve forgotten. If the gw1 wiki talk/discussion on the subject is any indication, it seems that it used to be competitive, before it was cooperative.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

lol

lol

Is that your deduction, or do you have a quote, because I never heard them say that.. Or I might’ve forgotten. If the gw1 wiki talk/discussion on the subject is any indication, it seems that it used to be competitive, before it was cooperative.

http://arena102.gtm.ncsoft.com/press/guild_wars_announcement

NCsoft, the world’s top developer of online computer games is pleased to announce Guild WarsTM, a mission-based competitive online role playing game, produced by its Seattle-based ArenaNet studio. Guild Wars will have its first major public showing at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), May 14-16 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

To tie this back the the thread subject:

How many other online games have had their developers give their intentions but not follow through with some of them for whatever reason? In other words, people are complaining about Anet’s “false promises” on here but haven’t we seen this in practically any game that is continuously updated? What were the reasons given from those developers?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

jheryn.8390

lol

lol

No, IWN is correct. They did call it that. I can remember it as well. I’m not to say I remember where I heard it. It was years ago.

GW had different modes as well. They had PvP, GvG and PvE. It is just that in PvE it was all instanced and only up to 8 players could be in an instance except in a couple of the elite dungeons where you could party up to 12 people.

GW had a competitive and a cooperative side. It was never a true MMO that is why they came up with that new term. Again, I cannot recall where I heard/read it, however.

Vayne.8563

Players are just as familiar with GW1 and GW2, or any other finished game, as the studio that made the game. Players are as skilled as any studio at game taxonomy. Of course this is not true of the back end, just the playable content. I agree with FrizzFreston.

Parsing the minutiae of game taxonomy does not help a studio be more innovative. Innovation blurs the lines that divide one game type from another and if we want innovation we need to yield to the position that game taxonomy can be inexact.

Yep and I remember a lot of people coming to Guild Wars 1 and leaving because it wasn’t an MMO as per the players coming and leaving. They couldn’t run around in the “open” world and see other players.

In the FAQ that came out before Guild Wars 2 came out, they specifically asked the question is Guild Wars 2 a true MMO, which pretty much implies Guild Wars 1 wan’t. Guild Wars 1 is a lobby game and lobby games aren’t MMO. You meet in a lobby, you gather a party and you walk into an instanced area where you can see no one but your party. You may personally call that an MMO but I’m pretty sure most people who played MMOs and tried GW 1 walked away complaining it wasn’t an MMO…and those people were right.

I came to Guild Wars 1 from WoW and even though I liked it better I’ve always been aware it wasn’t an MMO.

Guild Wars 2 is because I can encounter random players in the open world. A lot of people seem to confuse a continguous world, like WoW has for an open world, which Guild Wars 2 does have, even if it’s in zones.

Most people won’t classify Guild War 1 as an MMO unless they’re people who don’t have a lot of experience with other MMOs. It’s true a lot of people who played GW 1 and no MMOs did call it an MMO, but I’d not agree with that assessment.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

lol

lol

“Guild Wars is a CORPG, or Competitive/Cooperative Online Role Playing Game developed for Windows by ArenaNet and published by NCsoft. The first campaign of Guild Wars, Guild Wars Prophecies was released on April 28, 2005. The different genre was chosen (as opposed to the “Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) RPG”) due to the perceived differences between the game and other MMOs: the focus on Player versus Player (PvP) rather than Player versus Environment (PvE) play made it almost a unique case at the time, players received their own instanced copy of explorable zones and parties were limited to 8 players each, a tiny number compared to the massive caps of other games, which often allowed for up to 64 players in a single party (and unlimited players in non-instanced zones, which were the norm)."

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars

That’s the official Guild Wars Wiki.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars

That’s the official Guild Wars Wiki.

For better or worse, the “official” part is just that ANet pays for hosting the wiki. The text is written by fans, edited by fans, and moderated by fans. Despite the frequent contributors & mods being diligent about sourcing details, mistakes have been made. In other words, just because it’s written on the official GW1 or GW2 wiki doesn’t make it a fact; it’s always worth confirming that it’s been fact checked first.

That said, regardless of what I wrote or what ANet called the game, the OP and others continue to use the word “promise,” when ANet never promised in the sense of “we will never do this” — heck they’ve even hedged their bets on whether there will be a higher tier of gear than Ascended. They know, as we all should, that things change. Fans change, tech changes. What makes sense today might not make sense tomorrow.

So the original game allowed us to convert nearly everything to gold & to buy nearly everything with gold, making it easy to obtain necessities and luxuries. Fans thought that devalued their efforts, so in HoT, there’s a lot more stuff that requires local currency — that means it’s more involved to acquire, which some people interpret as grindier (I know I do). That doesn’t mean that ANet reneged on a promise not to have grind; it means they adapted to what a lot of players wanted. Worked out better for many; worse for some.

Maybe the game isn’t to the OP’s liking today; that doesn’t mean that ANet broke promises. It doesn’t even mean that ANet made bad design choices. It only means that the OP isn’t as happy with the current state of the game.

The OP’s preferences are their own; they do not have to be justified by appealing to some sort of higher moral standard. Better to stick with posting what they like, what they don’t, rather than trying to convince anyone that ANet is somehow mean-spirited by changing the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

In case anyone is interested, here’s the official ArenaNet site page declaring Guild Wars is a Competitive Online Role-Playing Game, way back before it even launched.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

https://web.archive.org/web/20040602202532/http://www.guildwars.com:80/faq/default.html

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In case anyone is interested, here’s the official ArenaNet site page declaring Guild Wars is a Competitive Online Role-Playing Game, way back before it even launched.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

https://web.archive.org/web/20040602202532/http://www.guildwars.com:80/faq/default.html

That’s from the time where they still thought pve would be a mere introductory lobby for a pvp-centered endgame.
The main reason why they haven’t changed the description later on to MMORPG is because they’ve been using CORPG acronym already for some time, and it was easier for them to simply change the word behind the letter “C”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Vayne.8563

That’s from the time where they still thought pve would be a mere introductory lobby for a pvp-centered endgame.
The main reason why they haven’t changed the description later on to MMORPG is because they’ve been using CORPG acronym already for some time, and it was easier for them to simply change the word behind the letter “C”.

I assume you have a quote for that, because I don’t believe that’s the case. They didn’t change it to an MMO because they knew it wasn’t an MMO. I sure knew it wasn’t an MMO. I’m frankly amazed than anyone thinks it is.

I’ve played many many MMOs. They all have worlds where I can run into other players while playing the game. I’ve also played lobby games. Guild Wars 1 was a lobby game by any definition.

It’s easy to call it an MMO, because it shares leveling and multiplayer, but that’s not the definition I’ve heard of an MMO and there’s been a whole lot of talk about it for years.

If people can’t see the difference between games like WoW, Rift, Lotro, Aion, SWToR, ESO and yes Guild Wars 2 and Guild Wars 1, I’m not sure what to say.

It’s a different genre of game, because it’s completely different. You can’t randomly run into strangers while playing in the “open world”.

Posted by: Nomin.5901

Nomin.5901

too bad they threw pvp into the trash for 4 years. 1 man balance team and bi-decade updates.

Carmen

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

I don’t know why GW2 gets so much white knighting. Of course the game doesn’t sucks, but right now it suffers from bad management, staleness and overall lack of polish…

We get one patch every 2-3 months, and most of times it’s more of a miss than a hit (Might Phantasms anyone?). It is sad that even a backwater game like Secret World Legends managed to do more in just 2 weeks than what the devs have done with GW2 since HoT launch… And I’m not speaking in terms of content, but in keeping in touch qith the comunity and showing they care about what they think.

The game would be in a much better state or people would be happier if Anet was more honest and straight with what goes on with development, or actually putting to use the Colaborative Development Initiative that’s been dead for a long time…

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

I don’t know why GW2 gets so much white knighting. Of course the game doesn’t sucks, but right now it suffers from bad management, staleness and overall lack of polish…

Maybe because they disagree that GW2 suffers from any of that, or at least enough of it to be worth complaining about.

Also, by one patch every 2-3 months, I assume you’re referring strictly to new open world pve maps. We’ve had three somewhat significant updates after the most recent episode, which we got just two months ago, and I wouldn’t consider any of the three something to sneeze at.

Ayrilana.1396

We get one patch every 2-3 months, and most of times it’s more of a miss than a hit (Might Phantasms anyone?). It is sad that even a backwater game like Secret World Legends managed to do more in just 2 weeks than what the devs have done with GW2 since HoT launch… And I’m not speaking in terms of content, but in keeping in touch qith the comunity and showing they care about what they think.

The game would be in a much better state or people would be happier if Anet was more honest and straight with what goes on with development, or actually putting to use the Colaborative Development Initiative that’s been dead for a long time…

Someone isn’t white-knighting simply because they disagree with someone. You say that the game suffers from bad management, staleness, and lack of polish. There will undoubtedly be those that disagree with you. Are they white knights simply for voicing their disagreement with you?

Anet isn’t forthcoming with their plans because of how some people took it upon themselves to treat everything Anet said as if it were a promise. We still have people do this as evident by the thread we’re in.

jheryn.8390

It isn’t “white knighting” because someone doesn’t share your opinion.

It wouldn’t be any more correct for someone to say that you are acrimonious or a black cloud because you feel the way you do.

tl/dr. Don’t call people names because they don’t agree with you.

FrizzFreston.5290

It’s a different genre of game, because it’s completely different. You can’t randomly run into strangers while playing in the “open world”.

Yes, it’s completely different in that one aspect of the game. :p
Not to argue that it’s not a CORPG. Nor that that aspect isn’t different enough for its own genre btw. But to say it’s completely different is obviously not true.

As to the previous request, it was regarding the reason of why they called it differently, not that they called it differently. I already knew that one. I just badly quoted it. I was wondering if they actually said it was to temper people expectations, or if it was to stand out or both. I never heard them say either, though, but to say it’s not to stand out is kind of silly as the whole game stood out anyway.

Oh and even ArenaNet acknowledges the many similarities with an MMO:

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences.
Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, kill stealing, and lines to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. But Guild Wars eliminates much of the tedium of traveling through the world. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they’ve previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one’s guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-on-guild warfare or the international tournament. But engaging in combat is always the player’s choice; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Finally, unlike existing MMOs, all characters in Guild Wars inhabit the same virtual world -they are not divided onto different servers or shards- so players can always team up with or compete against any other player in the world.

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Vayne.8563

Not to argue that it’s not a CORPG. Nor that that aspect isn’t different enough for its own genre btw. But to say it’s completely different is obviously not true.

As to the previous request, it was regarding the reason of why they called it differently, not that they called it differently. I already knew that one. I just badly quoted it. I was wondering if they actually said it was to temper people expectations, or if it was to stand out or both. I never heard them say either, though, but to say it’s not to stand out is kind of silly as the whole game stood out anyway.

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences.
Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, kill stealing, and lines to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. But Guild Wars eliminates much of the tedium of traveling through the world. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they’ve previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one’s guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-on-guild warfare or the international tournament. But engaging in combat is always the player’s choice; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Finally, unlike existing MMOs, all characters in Guild Wars inhabit the same virtual world -they are not divided onto different servers or shards- so players can always team up with or compete against any other player in the world.

I love how people take a single word and try to disprove a premise by taking the word literally. That’s not how arguments work. Dogs and cats are completely different animals, even though no one can deny they have similarties. MMOs and lobby games are completely different animals for any number of reasons even though they too have similarites.

For example, scaling dynamic events to large numbers of people means dynamic events are harder to program than quests in games where you always have exactly the same number of people. I can easily make a quest for 8 players and heroes, but making one that scales from 1 person to 20 or from 5 to 50 makes it a completely different proposition.

The reason why necros can’t raise corpses anymore, but create minions from thin air is because you might have 10 minion masters all in the same event. Anet didn’t want them competing for corpses. The story telling has to be different, because a lobby game is actually closer to a single player game than an MMO for story. You can do things with an instance that you can’t do in the open world. That’s why when you do the story in Guild Wars 1, the “open world” and the story you’re doing match each other. You’re doing the first four missions in Prophecies and you’re in the Ascalon area for those missions and everything matches what you’re doing. Guild Wars 2 doesn’t have that advantage in the open world, since you can’t really be THE hero in an MMO. The way the zones themselves are programmed has to be completely different. For example Anet originally was going to give each person a hero but they decided against it when they saw how it affect performance in an open world. A hundred players each with a hero would have caused too much lag.

They are completely different types of games, even though they have similarities.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There are as many (more really) fundamental differences between gw2 and the “many mmos” Anet references as there were between gw1 and those same mmos. I suppose that means that gw2 isnt an mmo either.

Personally I dont think not being considered an mmo is such a bad thing if you look at the state of most mmos.

FrizzFreston.5290

I love how people take a single word and try to disprove a premise by taking the word literally. That’s not how arguments work. Dogs and cats are completely different animals, even though no one can deny they have similarties. MMOs and lobby games are completely different animals for any number of reasons even though they too have similarites.

(…)

They are completely different types of games, even though they have similarities.

I was just being technical. You can compare GW1 and GW2. As long as you don’t lose the picture that they are different games. They just aren’t completely different games.

hell, I even stated that I wasn’t trying to disprove anything other than that.

Posted by: Griever.7480

Griever.7480

not to mention they’ve completely abandoned underwater content, even the newest map they had to make the water kittening acidic so no one could venture there.

Posted by: Tristan.5678

Tristan.5678

Totally agree with author gw2 today and HOT is nothing that I loved in gw2 ….. I regretted every single penny I’ve spent on HOT , but I naver regretted money spent on original gw2 and all the cash shop stuff …..
I can’t play gw2 any more I tried and it’s terrible ….
Terrible restricted builds for any progression FORCED META BUILDS CLASSES SETS BY THE COMMUNITY AND SO ON ….plain terrible!
Imposssible to complete maps quest SP solo in HOT
In orriginal hot I could sit back and enjoy all world exploration …..now I have to die 10 times trying to solo a Skill Point in HOT usually untill a massive train comes and kill it…

There is no skill about HOT you people talk about it’s about power creep…..

(edited by Tristan.5678)

Ayrilana.1396

Totally agree with author gw2 today and HOT is nothing that I loved in gw2 ….. I regretted every single penny I’ve spent on HOT , but I naver regretted money spent on original gw2 and all the cash shop stuff …..
I can’t play gw2 any more I tried and it’s terrible ….
Terrible restricted builds for any progression FORCED META BUILDS CLASSES SETS BY THE COMMUNITY AND SO ON ….plain terrible!
Imposssible to complete maps quest SP solo in HOT
In orriginal hot I could sit back and enjoy all world exploration …..now I have to die 10 times trying to solo a Skill Point in HOT usually untill a massive train comes and kill it…

There is no skill about HOT you people talk about it’s about power creep…..

Over half the HP’s can be done solo.

There were “forced” metas before HoT.

There’s skill in HoT with regards to enemy mechanics. You’ll notice this difference between those that can do just fine in HoT compared to those that complain about its difficulty and how they “die every 10 feet”.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Vayne.8563

(…)

I was just being technical. You can compare GW1 and GW2. As long as you don’t lose the picture that they are different games. They just aren’t completely different games.

hell, I even stated that I wasn’t trying to disprove anything other than that.

They are completely different games whether they’re different genres or not. As my example pointed out, they can have similarities and still be completely different since the term completely different doesn’t literally mean what you’re implying it means. Even though a dog is a completely different animal than a cat they’re both mammals, both have four legs, both share a lot of common genes, but they are completely different animals. I said this games are completely different genres. A text adventure is a completely different genre too but even that can have similarities with Guild Wars 2, yet no one would say they’re not completely different.

And of course when people mention they come here from Guild Wars 1 virtually the first thing people tell them is not to expect Guild Wars 1.5 this is a very different game. And part of the reason for those differences is that it is a different genre of game. That’s all I’m saying.

To a lot of people who came from Guild Wars 1, they had certain expectations based on that game in that genre and to them, Anet has broken a lot of unspoken promises.

I think people have have played lots of MMOs know that MMOs change all the time and you can complain that things were tried and didn’t work till the cows come home, but stuff is going to change. None of it was a promise, it was an intention that didn’t pan out.

Just a matter of perspective.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I said this games are completely different genres.

Except it isn’t true. It’s not like you’re comparing fps with turn-based strategy or old style platform game. The differences are small enough that while GW1 is definitely not a mainstream MMORPG, it could easily be considered an edge case. While some of its features are those usually belonging to single-player CRPGs with multiplayer component, others are leaning more towards the MMO side of the dividing line (which, by the way, is not very precise in the first place).

Even the quote that is so often brought up here, explaining the dev reasons of calling it CORPG clearly shows that it was a decision based on preference. They could have called it MMORPG, they just preferred to underscore its other aspects.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Vayne.8563

I said this games are completely different genres.

Except it isn’t true. It’s not like you’re comparing fps with turn-based strategy or old style platform game. The differences are small enough that while GW1 is definitely not a mainstream MMORPG, it could easily be considered an edge case. While some of its features are those usually belonging to single-player CRPGs with multiplayer component, others are leaning more towards the MMO side of the dividing line (which, by the way, is not very precise in the first place).

Even the quote that is so often brought up here, explaining the dev reasons of calling it CORPG clearly shows that it was a decision based on preference. They could have called it MMORPG, they just preferred to underscore its other aspects.

And yet when people say they come from Guild Wars 1, the first and most common comment is about not to expect this game to be like that game. They are in fact vastly different. People have been saying it so much it’s almost a meme.

I mean no one complained about too much jumping and mario brothers in Guild Wars 1. We have neither heroes nor henchmen. And you can run into random people while playing the game in the world.

Similarities aside, many many Guild War 1 players were vastly disappointed at how far Guild Wars 2 had strayed from the original.

And that’s unfortunately part of the promise many felt, because a single line in the manifesto said:

“Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees.”

People have been complaining about that line since launch. I’m pretty sure it’s not because these games are so similar.

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

The new maps, just like old world bosses, are easily predictable. Oh hey, 7/8 bloodstone islands done, we know the golem will be up in a few seconda, a few times every 2 hours.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The new maps, just like old world bosses, are easily predictable. Oh hey, 7/8 bloodstone islands done, we know the golem will be up in a few seconda, a few times every 2 hours.

That was done, the “train” schedule for map bosses, because of the mega server system. So players don’t get shafted if they don’t end up on the map instance that a boss event spawns on.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes