Arenanet stealing from the players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RiShardV.8456

RiShardV.8456

It seems the only way to really be able to enjoy the game is by studying the trading post. Just playing the game gets you nowhere.

I made my own Mystic forge conduit when Guildwars 2 just started and kept it since as a way to save my money. If I had checked the price more often I would probably have sold it. In my mind it was about 600-800 gold but it seems it actually had been worth over 1500 gold. With the way they made it obtainable again now it lost all its value completely.

If this is Arenanet taking down high value items none of them are worth a thing now, we already know that legendaries and precursors will be easier to obtain in Heart of Thorns.

Meanwhile the players having these high value items will be robbed of their money.
What are your opinions? Is it fine if they just decide something should not be worth as much as it is?

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

You took a risk in holding onto it. The mystic conduit recipe was introduced to remove large amounts low level crafting mats from the economy that were not being used. Assuming that the recipe would never be needed again to control the amount of mats was foolish and anet isn’t stealing from you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure the players that have been waiting 3 years for a Precursor to drop are thinking along the line that ArenaNet is stealing from them when they will soon be given the opportunity to obtain said Precursor through a guaranteed method, but…

…like um, noses and opinions – everyone has one.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

It seems the only way to really be able to enjoy the game is by studying the trading post. Just playing the game gets you nowhere.

I think you’re mistaking “enjoying the game” with “making gold in the game”. If making gold is what you enjoy sure, but I’m telling you there are a lot of people out there paying no attention to the trading post while enjoying themselves thoroughly.

I made my own Mystic forge conduit when Guildwars 2 just started and kept it since as a way to save my money. If I had checked the price more often I would probably have sold it. In my mind it was about 600-800 gold but it seems it actually had been worth over 1500 gold. With the way they made it obtainable again now it lost all its value completely.

Honestly if you lost out on selling it for 1.5k gold that’s your own fault for not paying attention to it’s price.

If this is Arenanet taking down high value items none of them are worth a thing now, we already know that legendaries and precursors will be easier to obtain in Heart of Thorns.

Meanwhile the players having these high value items will be robbed of their money.
What are your opinions? Is it fine if they just decide something should not be worth as much as it is?

As far as I’m concerned keeping your gold in assets is a gamble in itself, as your story is a testament to. Do what those who “run” the tp do. Learn from your bad investment/timing and move on.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

Welcome to the world of economics! This has nothing to do with stealing and everything with availability of resources, supply and demand. If the supply becomes more readily available but the demand remains unchanged prices drop.
You could make a case that it is Anet who is making these resources more readily available, but it is still basically the same as if a mining corporation discovered a huge deposit of raw diamonds and broke the De Beers monopoly with it. That corporation would not be stealing from De Beers, yet De Beers would be poorer for it.

RiShardV.8456

I agree I am partly to blame for not being smart enough here and I have enjoyed playing the game for the past years at least some of the time. I would like to argue though that having more gold lets me buy more sets of equipment and lets me enjoy the game in more different ways.

Welcome to the world of economics! This has nothing to do with stealing and everything with availability of resources, supply and demand. If the supply becomes more readily available but the demand remains unchanged prices drop.
You could make a case that it is Anet who is making these resources more readily available, but it is still basically the same as if a mining corporation discovered a huge deposit of raw diamonds and broke the De Beers monopoly with it. That corporation would not be stealing from De Beers, yet De Beers would be poorer for it.

In the end it will always be Anet deciding how they make something available. And similar items like the permanent banking license and such are only available as a very rare drop from the black lion chests. These items being pretty valuable as well may have guaranteed a more steady price drop if the mystic forge conduit was reintroduced in this way.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I could sit here and gripe about how I could have sold mine for 1500 and then bought a cheap one, but I like that mine isn’t account bound (although on further reflection its a nice safety net so its not a stealable item)
And this means maybe I’ll be able to afford another

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Whoot?
my 15 chars

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Funnily enough, prices for most precursors are at their highest value since the start of the year.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Yea I think you got burned you saw it selling for high and hoped to sell it for higher, its human nature

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

I’m sure a new hot item will come along and be overvalued and then you can hold on to that and not sell it and balance will be restored to the world.

Posted by: Famine.3164

Famine.3164

Stealing!? You snooze, you lose. Things like this happen, I could have made a killing waaaay back when you could get vanilla beans for karma and they changed them so you had to farm them.. Did I get mad? No, kitten happens..

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Play the market was always a risk form of earn money. That why you sell it when it have reached a acceptable value (If you are not going to use).

In-game itens, that can be generated at the pure wish of devs, are always on risk of being on sale again, or returning itens.

They even have been kind to make the new conduit acc bound on use, so it don’t increase the supply of the original one, so you might have a rise on your free-to-use one time again when ppl stop gambling with ectos.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Just the way things go, the market tends to change rapidly…

Just because something is currently unobtainable doesn’t mean it has to remain that way forever. Imagine being one of the people that bought the perma hair kit BEFOR it made it’s way back into the black lion chests.

RiShardV.8456

Yea I think you got burned you saw it selling for high and hoped to sell it for higher, its human nature

Honestly, rather than hoping to sell for higher I was just hoping it would keep its value. I never had any use for such a big pile gold at anytime and I enjoyed having the item.
If only I was good at economics, I could have made thousands of gold over the years like many others.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Honestly, rather than hoping to sell for higher I was just hoping it would keep its value. I never had any use for such a big pile gold at anytime and I enjoyed having the item.
If only I was good at economics, I could have made thousands of gold over the years like many others.

I am failing to understand how you feel this change affected you when you never intended to make any kind of financial gain off of the item in the first place.

Enlighten please?

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Technically, you agreed that all your in game items still belong to NC Soft, so they cant steal anything from you, as it was never yours in the first place.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

What? I use the TP to mainly sell things I don’t need or buy things I do need. Going by your title, No Anet never logged into my account and stole things from my inventory or took my gold.

Well I never got the first one and tried to gamble for parts for this new one but decided its not worth it and I’ll just have to wp to towns to use the forge. Also how did it lose its value completely? Did you not use it the entire time you had it and are not using it to this day?

If this is Arenanet taking down high value items none of them are worth a thing now, we already know that legendaries and precursors will be easier to obtain in Heart of Thorns

Easier? No one knows just yet how much it will take to get one of the new precursors so saying it is easier really isn’t a true statement. I also heard (not sure if true) but you can only do the precursor thing once for each of the new precursors and they can not be sold (not sure if true just things I’ve heard) So its not like those that play way more are just going to farm precursors and sell them to make tons of gold

I don’t see this at all. You’ve had this item for longer than any one that gets this new one. It was your choice to sell or keep it. Then again you are saying you feel Anet is robbing players but seems you wanted to rob players and lost your chance to do so since you kept it.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Try to avoid hyperbole in your title; it defeats the point you are trying to get across. I’m sure you don’t mean “stealing” in the sense of “taking something without permission & intending never to return it.”

Certainly, ANet didn’t actually take gold from you — all you had was the potential of gold. Certainly, ANet fully intends to offer the same potential, since it consistently removes sources for many tradeable items, allowing you to sit on them until their supply hits rock bottom and people are willing to pay silly amounts to get them.

Again, I hope that you are deliberately exaggerating, since everyone must know by this point that there are untold ways in which to enjoy the game.

Further, I know a lot of folks that have played since launch that have a lot of wealth, mostly because they don’t spend a lot and the money starts to add up.

Hey, I thought of selling when it was 1.5k and I decided I liked having the portable forge. Now that there’s an account bound version that’s a lot cheaper, I wonder why I didn’t. But hey, that’s what happens in the market: sometimes you guess right and sometimes, not so much.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Wait, did I read here just now, that its possible again to make that item, that lets you have a personal mxystic tpoilet whenever you want???

if yes, thats great news….
Everyone should have somethign like this, because it helps greatly to keep the inventory CLEAN FROM ALL THE JUNK and you have a chance of gettign more valuable things …

I seriously never understood, why anet removed the drops and methods of obtainign the iterms that you need to craft yourself that useful tool.
They should have never done this bullcrap and the stuff would have never ever become so ridiculous overexpensive at all that just the upper 1% of the community is abvle to buy it off right from the TP …

Stuff like this tool should have been kept as ultimate rewards that you can earn in this game, sso I fidn it awesoenm, that Anet introduced as it seems a new way to get the materials to craft that permanent mystic toilet.

just great news

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

If your not going to sell it why do you even care if it drops in value?
You still have your item and just becouse average joe got 1 to dont make you have it any less

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

No, it’s not stealing.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It was an investment. There is usually some risk. Better to learn this in a game than real life. Arenanet isn’t stealing from players, they are teaching a valuable lesson.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

An investment that doesn’t work out in favor of the investor does not equal theft. Anet didn’t steal anything from anyone here.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand: how do you get a new version of a mystic conduit?

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand: how do you get a new version of a mystic conduit?

pretty sure its from the skritt ecto gambler

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

One should never assume items will not be reintroduced. Everything in game should have a supply chain.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

Working as intended.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

“It seems the only way to really be able to enjoy the game is by studying the trading post. Just playing the game gets you nowhere.”

A ridiculous hyperbole that is not true at all.

Posted by: Soja.5918

Soja.5918

It’s impossible for ArenaNet to steal something that already belongs to them.

In-game gold and other currencies are property of ArenaNet.

The Crystal Desert beckons us. Ascension awaits us.

Keirlann Aurion – Ranger – Chieftain of the Ace Guard [AceG]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Let me see, translation.

“I made an item and assumed it had lower value — due to rarity — than was actually true. I waited until after ANet had made the item obtainable again to investigate, at which point I discovered the missed opportunity. Thus, ANet stole from me.”

Looks to me like you assumed the item was worth less than was true due to a failure on your part to inform your self. The one responsible for the lost opportunity was the person who chose not to investigate the item’s value when s/he had the chance.

There’s an old saying, “You snooze, you lose.”

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

“Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no.”

— Betteridge’s law of headlines

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka