Armor Dyeing Basics

Armor Dyeing Basics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

Hi,

When I sort dyes by material, I see there is Natural Metallic, Natural Leather and Vibrant categories. What is the difference?

Are there different types of armor? Do they follow the same categorisation (metallic, leather, vibrant)?

How do I know what armor piece is metallic, leather or vibrant?

What is the difference between applying a leather-type dye to a metallic armor piece and leather armor piece?

Any info is appreciated.

What I noticed is that sometimes when I apply a color on a chest armor piece it completely colors the piece, but then it sometimes only uses a gradient color.

Also, when applying a specific dye to different pieces of heavy armor, the dye behaves differently. It puts gradient color on chest armor, but fully colors the shoulderpads.

Thanks

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

(edited by Meehael.8240)

Armor Dyeing Basics

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

What I think is dyes fall in 2 categories Gradient and non gradient. single, 2 tone, and 3 tones.

Regardless if a dye is sorted as natural metallic, natural leather, or Vibrant isn’t an indication of if its gradient or not.

Most of the more gradiant dyes are Rare dyes but not all the rare dyes are gradient.

I really don’t know.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

Armor Dyeing Basics

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I believe it depends on the “material” of the dye channel. For example, some heavy armors also contain cloth and whatnot in the skins. Those will behave differently than something made of metal.

Armor Dyeing Basics

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

All I know is that the Ironclad outfit plays hell with the dyes, especially when it comes to Red, which is either Orange or Purple.

Armor Dyeing Basics

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

There was an interview where this was discussed, if I recall, waaaaay back near launch. Actually might have been before. It’s been a while…

Anyway, you can think of Vibrant, Leather, and Metallic in terms of armor weight – Light, Medium, Heavy. The general idea being that Vibrant will be brighter on cloth (light) than on leather, Metallic will be more shiny on heavy (which is metal) rather than light (which is cloth). Make sense?

You can use any dye on any armor, but it will “behave” a bit differently as you’ve noted based on what it’s “ideal” material (cloth, leather, metal) is vs what material you’re applying it to.

“Also, each race has a cultural palette that reflects the character of the species. This means a red color for a human may not look the same as a red color for a norn or charr. " -straight from the wiki

I know there is more to it (and probably explained much better than I ever could), but I haven’t been able to find that interview.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Armor Dyeing Basics

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Its basically a reference for which colors are designed to look best on which materials.

e.g.

If you want to put together a blue suit of armor, it’s supposed to be a quick and dirty way to choose appropriate and semi-realistic shades for your skirt, the leather straps, and the metal buckles so you don’t look like a neon disaster, and in stead look like you’ve put together a somewhat realistically toned blue outfit.

Of course, if the average LA fashion show is any indication, nobody really cares about such things, and most people actually want to be neon disasters.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ