Armor Repair feels pointless

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

Aside from it being a meaningless chore that no longer costs money since the update a few years back, it is utterly pointless to even have this feature in the game anymore.

People already get downed state debuffs for constant deaths anyway… this feature feels like something that could be removed and no sleep would be lost if it was. Armor repair might have had meaning once, but now, its just niche.

Id say its time to remove this from the game, I can think of ways that it could still be relevent but at this point, it really isnt.

It would not be a major problem if this feature was taken out entirely.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I expect you’re right about it being essentially meaningless now. However to change it would require remaking all the armor in the game so it doesn’t take damage or break, as well as removing the repair stations, taking out repair canisters from the gemstore and from the log in rewards and black lion chests. That’s a fair amount of work and taking the cost of repair out of game is probably the best ANet can do without spending a lot of time in it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Yeah, it is absolutely pointless now. The cost was the point.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

We should have had free waypoints instead

Posted by: AgCNO.6427

AgCNO.6427

Agreed, it is pointless now and should be removed completely. They could even leave the repair stations in the game – the NPCs are at least normal vendors that you can sell your junk to.
Although, the repair canisters could prove problematic and displease people who bought them, or got them from bought BL-chests.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I disagree that it should be removed. It’s meant to be a punishment for dying… and it is. For GW2, it makes sense that it’s almost entirely a cosmetic issue rather than a significant one.

I’m not sure why anyone thinks that armor repair ever had any more meaning that it does today — the only thing that changed since launch was how much you paid for repairs. It was a substantive fee for new accounts and never more than a trivial amount for veterans, i.e. it was roughly the same chore that it is today.

I think it continues to be a minor reminder that dying has consequences. In the spirit of GW2, that reminder is relatively painless.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

The only part of the armor repairing that annoys me is right after I repair my gear, the next time i get downed an armor gets damaged. In other games repairing armor in town would set the durability to maximum for all slots, but not here.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

The only part of the armor repairing that annoys me is right after I repair my gear, the next time i get downed an armor gets damaged. In other games repairing armor in town would set the durability to maximum for all slots, but not here.

It does reset the durability to maximum. In GW2, each piece of armor has two ‘hit points’, chosen randomly for damage each time you die, then randomly for breakage after all is damaged and you’re defeated.

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

While having armour repair is fine to me, having a real-money item, obtainable randomly from a chest that uses a cash-shop key to open, seems like a punishment in the form of a useless item wasting my real-life money.

Leave armour repairs, remove armour repair canisters.

(edited by Llethander.3972)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You know, there are some instances one does not wish to leave (and reset) to go repair armor at a repair station. I, personally, was happy to use one of my many Repair Canisters in such an instance. /shrug

Thus, I’m not sure removing Repair Canisters would suit the entire playerbase.

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

I have never once been somewhere that did not have a repair point. Dungeons have them, all maps have them, many of them are located right beside a waypoint. I dislike having my money wasted on an item that serves no practical purpose especially since repairing has no actual cost to it.

Posted by: MelGT.8326

MelGT.8326

I was thinking this earlier. I got an Instant Repair Canister from one of the “Black Lion Goods” chests from log in rewards, and just used it to get rid of the annoying symbol on my health bar. I think the only reason it’s still there is to put some RPG into this MMORPG, it’s utterly pointless right now. The same as those “Teleport to Friend” consumables that I have loads of.

There is so much redundancy in this game, with these added to the bag fulls of Fine and Masterwork Sigils and Runes you get after a HoT meta event, the bags within bags of vendor and salvage trash… they really need to take a look at some of these things. Again.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s still there as a penalty for dying as you’ll have to eventually go and repair the armor. It becomes more relevant in instanced content.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No repair stations in many Story Instances.

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

I think the only reason it’s still there is to put some RPG into this MMORPG, it’s utterly pointless right now. The same as those “Teleport to Friend” consumables that I have loads of.

The Teleport to Friend items are very useful. People use those all the time to get to places like the end of jumping puzzles, HoT mastery points or Hero Points and other similarly difficult to reach places. They don’t require a Mesmer and have a zone-wide range.

Definitely wouldn’t put them in the same bracket as repair canisters.

Posted by: NewLegend.7514

NewLegend.7514

I think that it is rather silly to have a function that you have to do, but it is so easy and you lose nothing for it, to keep it in the game… Unless there is a future purpose intended.

Posted by: Fivona.5061

Fivona.5061

I expect you’re right about it being essentially meaningless now. However to change it would require remaking all the armor in the game so it doesn’t take damage or break, as well as removing the repair stations, taking out repair canisters from the gemstore and from the log in rewards and black lion chests. That’s a fair amount of work and taking the cost of repair out of game is probably the best ANet can do without spending a lot of time in it.

My thoughts exactly.
Maybe removed soon.

Ayrilana.1396

Probably easier to just bring back the cost element. I mean, if people find it pointless strictly because there’s no cost…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Probably easier to just bring back the cost element. I mean, if people find it pointless strictly because there’s no cost…

It’d be easier to change nothing, unless there’s a good reason. There is no good reason.

As an easy-ish QoL improvement:
Comment out the line that does the armor damage. The actual functions don’t need to be removed, just the command that executes them.
Change the Repair Canister items into something else. The item reference codes probably stay the same, they just reference different items. Hard part is deciding what goes in place of the various repair canisters.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Ayrilana.1396

It’d be easier to change nothing, unless there’s a good reason. There is no good reason.

As an easy-ish QoL improvement:
Comment out the line that does the armor damage. The actual functions don’t need to be removed, just the command that executes them.
Change the Repair Canister items into something else. The item reference codes probably stay the same, they just reference different items. Hard part is deciding what goes in place of the various repair canisters.

It would be easier to do nothing. I was directing that at those that think something should be done and that would be easier to solve the problem than redoing the entire armor damage system which would have a high chance of something getting broken.

azureai.9764

Would definitely bring some new dynamics in if the cost were some materials instead of simply money (like it used to be).

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I think its more of a reminder that you are bad at what you are doing. Its kind of like downed state that is so completely forgiving that you never get better at the game, until you are downed 4 times in 60seconds.

azureai.9764

I think its more of a reminder that you are bad at what you are doing. Its kind of like downed state that is so completely forgiving that you never get better at the game, until you are downed 4 times in 60seconds.

The downed state has also been getting progressively useless, what with all the AOEs of stacking doom in the HoT areas that will just near-instantly kill you if you get downed.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I think the need to repair armour actually adds something to the game- especially difficult party-based gameplay.

It changes the flow of each attempt in a dungeon or fractal. If you suddenly realise that your armour is damaged or broken, it drives home that maybe the direction of your attempts to beat that area/boss isn’t right- perhaps the tactic needs to be changed or refined. If you don’t have repair cannisters, it forces you to take a small breather… and perhaps pick up equipment/food/boosters that might improve your attempts too.

At least that’s the way I’ve remembered it. Come back into a fractal after repairing and merching gives a fresh opportunity to chat with party members about the plan of attack. After regrouping we seem to clear the boss/level after a couple of tries.

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Nobody said it yet, but it was mentioned when the costs were initially removed was that returning to an armor repairer was punishment enough without the additional cost of armor repair. The armor breaking was always more of a slap on the wrist than a real punishment; so long as you didn’t die more than 6 times before getting the armor fixed, there was no effect on your stats. I don’t see why the armor damage/repair system really needs to be touched, as the stations are still pretty rare and good players rarely get defeated.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

If anything, I kind of feel like the effect of armor being damaged due to death is not strong enough. Maybe it should go this way: one death equals one piece of armor being destroyed. So you basically play your character with one piece of armor less per death, not downstate ofc if you manage to rally.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If anything, I kind of feel like the effect of armor being damaged due to death is not strong enough. Maybe it should go this way: one death equals one piece of armor being destroyed. So you basically play your character with one piece of armor less per death, not downstate ofc if you manage to rally.

It’s only a punishment if you die alone, though. More or less anyway. Pact Command mastery can raise someone from defeated status and repair broken armor. It’s cool that such a group-friendly feature exists, but it drives home the point that armor breakage is regarded as a nuisance rather than a pointed mechanic.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Armor repair costs were removed because they didn’t want to charge a dead player twice, once to waypoint and once to repair. However without a death penalty then what to encourage players to not face plant?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

It’s only a punishment if you die alone, though. More or less anyway. Pact Command mastery can raise someone from defeated status and repair broken armor. It’s cool that such a group-friendly feature exists, but it drives home the point that armor breakage is regarded as a nuisance rather than a pointed mechanic.

True. Totally forgot about the features of pact command mastery. But anyway aren’t most players playing solo ? I kinda expect that my proposed change would reinforce player cooperation on open world and put more pressure in solo play for personal story (at least in HoT).

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I would rather prefer if they made it cost silver again. It’s probably an unpopular opinion though.

When I started playing around 4 years ago, the game felt rather difficult for me and I could barely afford anything (including rares and exotics) but I had loads of fun. Repairs felt like an actual punishment for being reckless and gave incentive to group up.
Now it’s just something you need to click every now and then, the only possible cost being that of a waypoint.

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I have never once been somewhere that did not have a repair point. Dungeons have them, all maps have them, many of them are located right beside a waypoint. I dislike having my money wasted on an item that serves no practical purpose especially since repairing has no actual cost to it.

Story missions don’t have repair points. You either have to leave, and then start over at the beginning and sit through boorish un-skippable RP, or use a repair canister (available on the Gem Store!).