Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ThunderBadger.3049

ThunderBadger.3049

Previous thread was locked for not being constructive, let’s try again.

The issue is nearly all of the female armor sets being waaay too skimpy or showing too much.

To be clear from the people who responded in the first thread, here is what I’m talking about:

I don’t mean charr or asura armor, their sets are fine. I’m only talking about female humans and norn.

I’m not just talking about the new gemstore armor, I’m talking about all of the armor. Though I was disappointed in this new set as well, definitely not buying it. Light armor sets are the worst, followed by medium (human tier 3, being one of the worst offenders. I might have bought it if not for the chest piece.) and then heavy armor. Even some of the heavy armor has lack of chest coverage.

Also, I am a wardrobe nut. I am trying to collect nearly every armor in the game. I have a lot, though far from finished primarily because I still need to get a fair amount of dungeon armor. I think it’s fair to say I have researched my options. There are a couple of good sets, but for someone like me who loves to mix and match, and play around with my armor looks a lot, there’s not much variety. I spend a lot of my time looking for really cool combos to make, and you just can’t make too many tasteful ones. For example, there are a lot of chest pieces that show all of the stomach, which I don’t like and makes it nearly impossible to pair with different leggings.

And for the record, I don’t care about the other players who run around with nothing on. That’s not my problem. My problem is I don’t want to wear that stuff.

Making my character look cool is a huge part of what’s fun to me about playing this game, and it’s really infuriating every time they make a new armor set. “Oh, a new armor! What does it look like?…Aw man I wanted armor, not armor with a big hole in the chest and stomach.”

There are certainly many armors that they could make that aren’t promiscuous, nor full blown “nun” either. They just don’t seem to choose to. Lots of players including me would probably like armor that is practical, or even beautiful and elegant. You don’t have to show any extra skin to do so.

Please make some more tasteful armor sets for the ladies. My opinion of the game would rise substantially if this is done.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeeeah, I have a friend who’s a rather strong feminist. I shuddered to recommend the game to her after seeing some of the endgame outfits. Masquerade was the worst offender by far. Or maybe it was the craftable harem outfit.

And I still don’t understand cloth “helms.” WTF is that thing on my face and how is it armor?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

The thing is it’s not like there aren’t options for non skimpiness. I gotta say most of the gem store armors aren’t very skimpy at all.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

http://argos-soft.net/GW2/ArmorGallery/index.php?lang=en&color=10&sex=1&race=3&w=2

Take a look at it .. maybe 10% shows more skin than just the face .. not much more to say.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yeah, like the Phoenix top is one of the classiest tops for female humanoids in game imo. And it isn’t nun-ish or skimpy. There are options… it’s nice that you can find both extremes as well as the middle ground.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Yeeeah, I have a friend who’s a rather strong feminist.

Does she lift?

Edit: also, shame on me for assuming your friend was female. Feminism can and does appeal to non-female gendered individuals as well.

I shuddered to recommend the game to her after seeing some of the endgame outfits. Masquerade was the worst offender by far. Or maybe it was the craftable harem outfit.

My girlfriend’s response to the Ancestral outfit was basically, “Would buy if it didn’t have a boob window.” I wonder what the net change in sales is due to boob window addition?

Perhaps ArenaNet will one day create this as a natural experiment for us: load two identical versions – except for boob window – and see which sells the best.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

A Massive Headache.1879

Yeeeah, I have a friend who’s a rather strong feminist.

Does she lift?

I shuddered to recommend the game to her after seeing some of the endgame outfits. Masquerade was the worst offender by far. Or maybe it was the craftable harem outfit.

My girlfriend’s response to the Ancestral outfit was basically, “Would buy if it didn’t have a boob window.” I wonder what the net change in sales is due to boob window addition?

Perhaps ArenaNet will one day create this as a natural experiment for us: load two identical versions – except for boob window – and see which sells the best.

I think a simple solution would be to have a piece of cloth where the chest window would be that would be toggleable by the shoulder hide/display, maybe add a dye channel in the shoulder for it, that would please everyone, maybe.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Rauderi.8706

Considering all the GW2 gals are build like Power Girl (aka Supergirl), why NOT have a boob window?

Maybe female armor can have a click-switch like helms/back/glove slots that removes mammarial obstructions?

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I, on the other hand, am annoyed at the lack of skimpy armors available for Charr, Asura (Both races are unisex), and Males. Or, at least skimpy leggings. There are options for non-chestplates, like Scallywag, Gladiator, and Flamewrath/Pit Fighter for heavy, and feathered for Light.

There needs to be a good blend of armor types – Cluttered, practical, AND skimpy, for all character types.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Cojiro.6924

Cojiro.6924

Welcome to the mmo world,i never play with female characters(i am a man) and i find abusive the way that womans are pictured in games,is not just unreal,is a lack of respect,it look like womans only exist to be hot for the pleasure of the mans.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Rauderi.8706

I, on the other hand, am annoyed at the lack of skimpy armors available for Charr, Asura (Both races are unisex), and Males. Or, at least skimpy leggings. There are options for non-chestplates, like Scallywag, Gladiator, and Flamewrath/Pit Fighter for heavy, and feathered for Light.

I dunno, the masquerade pants for Charr are pretty revealing.
I even use the Humiliation dye for the under-roos. :P
Note: My Charr is a dude. XD

Many alts; handle it!

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Lilith Ajit.6173

I don’t understand what is the big deal about the “boob window”. A tint bit of sexuality for humanoids and a tiny bit of skin on Asura and Charr is so freaking scandalous. Where is the outrage for feathered armor or the new and improved flamekissed? There are such worse offenders of this.

Anyway I’d be fine with a toggle to hide or show the “boob window” but I do think the necessity for it is absolutely insane.

Anyway revealing armors versus covering armors are honestly tied imo. There are plenty of both.

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

dont understand the thread

cause most my chars are human or norn female and i dont see a lot skimpy outfits or dont know what you mean with showing tooo much?

what?

edit:
to use this link posted before
http://argos-soft.net/GW2/ArmorGallery/index.php?lang=en&color=10&race=2&w=1&sex=1

where are the skimpy outfits?

(edited by Moderator)

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Aetherblade only shows a little belly button, not too bad I guess.
Brahams armour is really not very revealing.
Magitech not really showing much?
Phoenix ok?
Rampant Heavy
Is Phalanx a newer one? That one shows a little bit cleavage just for the sake of showing it.
Striders Armour … hardly anything to see.
Trickster – oh I can see knees?
Now Viper is definitely offending with the mini skirt.

Apart from the gem store … does ascended look revealing?

So what does that leave us with in terms of “oh new armour!”

The zodiac stuff that makes you blue
The reworked “flame” skins
What else?

Outfits … executioner? No. Bloody Prince? Well some bust?

To understand you better, can you please list the new armour options that you found to be not in good taste, or beautiful and elegant?

I can totally understand the desire for practical armour and such, but I don’t find that it is as bad as presented. Like, seriously?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Its the opposite, we need more underboob. Pls .

Attachments:

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

timmyf.1490

“Boob windows” are a well-known trope in comics that (I assume) many would prefer not come to the game. I’m not particularly upset by it – I’ve already bought the skin – but there’s nothing wrong with providing feedback.

(edited by Moderator)

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Honestly……GW2 is rather tame, there are plenty of skimpy options and even more “practical” options.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

I don’t understand what is the big deal about the “boob window”. A tint bit of sexuality for humanoids and a tiny bit of skin on Asura and Charr is so freaking scandalous. Where is the outrage for feathered armor or the new and improved flamekissed? There are such worse offenders of this.

It’s not a problem when it’s balanced with plenty of similarly skimpy armour on the men, or if both versions of the armour were available to both genders to avoid forcing a particular option on you just because your character does or does not have boobs.

The other problem is that outfits sexualised for humans do not really work on the non-humanoid races. Boob windows on asura and charr make no cultural or social sense for those races whatsoever. It’s lazy design. They do not have the same sexual or aesthetic drivers and it’s just silly.

I’d much rather see the time that is spent currently making massively gender-divergent armour sets set upon making armour sets really work and make sense culturally for the different races instead.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

A Massive Headache.1879

I feel this thread is overblown, I just counted the light human female armor sets, only 15 were overly revealing, out 45 armor sets. and light armor is the worst offender.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Lilith Ajit.6173

It’s not a problem when it’s balanced with plenty of similarly skimpy armour on the men, or if both versions of the armour were available to both genders to avoid forcing a particular option on you just because your character does or does not have boobs.

The other problem is that outfits sexualised for humans do not really work on the non-humanoid races. Boob windows on asura and charr make no cultural or social sense for those races whatsoever. It’s lazy design. They do not have the same sexual or aesthetic drivers and it’s just silly.

I’d much rather see the time that is spent currently making massively gender-divergent armour sets set upon making armour sets really work and make sense culturally for the different races instead.

I’m sorry but at least on my asura the boob window looks cute and not sexualized. It’s an outfit it does not need to make sense culturally. Me being a Charr in a mad king outfit doesn’t make sense either.

[ARES]

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: denny.8350

denny.8350

That’s the problem you assume… Try asking! put up a vote for all to vote in not just you clothes censors! I am afraid you’ll be very disappointed! Quit trying to change kitten you don’t like for everyone else! If you don’t like boob windows don’t ware boob windows and don’t tell me what I should and shouldn’t ware! IT’S A KITTEN GAME!

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

A Massive Headache.1879

That’s the problem you assume… Try asking! put up a vote for all to vote in not just you clothes censors! I am afraid you’ll be very disappointed! Quit trying to change kitten you don’t like for everyone else! If you don’t like boob windows don’t ware boob windows and don’t tell me what I should and shouldn’t ware! IT’S A KITTEN GAME!

Well, all they’re asking for is for more conservative armors. that’s not an issue at all, that’s a very healthy opinion.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I can’t say I agree that showing some skin or even (OMG) cleavage should be considered promiscuous or in bad-taste. I would hope we can evolve past shame over the human (or human-type) body in any form it is created.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Rauderi.8706

I dunno, peeps. If Charr femme-armor had to have boob-windows, shouldn’t it get three of them? =P

Many alts; handle it!

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: denny.8350

denny.8350

I dunno, peeps. If Charr femme-armor had to have boob-windows, shouldn’t it get three of them? =P

you just nasty!

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

timmyf.1490

Reading comprehension on this thread is not great. Let’s try quoting the relevant parts.

And for the record, I don’t care about the other players who run around with nothing on. That’s not my problem. My problem is I don’t want to wear that stuff.

Making my character look cool is a huge part of what’s fun to me about playing this game, and it’s really infuriating every time they make a new armor set. “Oh, a new armor! What does it look like?…Aw man I wanted armor, not armor with a big hole in the chest and stomach.”

There are certainly many armors that they could make that aren’t promiscuous, nor full blown “nun” either. They just don’t seem to choose to. Lots of players including me would probably like armor that is practical, or even beautiful and elegant. You don’t have to show any extra skin to do so.

There’s no censorship going on, the OP is just asking for some new female chest armor to be added that’s doesn’t look like a push-up bra.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Castrin.8972

Castrin.8972

We kill people in the game in wholesale lots yet if extra skin is shown people go apoplectic and scream it’s an attack on women. They cast it as an issue of feminism yet if you really look at the selection of armors there are tons of choices both “skimpy” and 100% coverage. With the (re)skinning of armor now it’s completely up to the player what direction they want to go without losing anything.

Yet there are those intent on removing all choice and limiting things based on their belief system.

Grandmaster
Order of the Empyrean Shield [OES]

(edited by Moderator)

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Are we even playing the same game ?

I don’t know how many times I’ve had to tell people to actually look at all armor pieces before saying bullkitten like “nearly all female sets are skimpy”.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Rouven.7409

(…)Me being a Charr in a mad king outfit doesn’t make sense either.

Plus that’s one big melon on your head.

(Yes, I fact checked what pumpkin means! Large melon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin )

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

timmyf.1490

Yet there are those intent on removing all choice and limiting things based on their belief system.

The OP clearly states he has no problems with other people wearing skimpy armor and does not want those removed.

Did anybody bother to read the post?

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: ThunderBadger.3049

ThunderBadger.3049

Reading comprehension on this thread is not great. Let’s try quoting the relevant parts.

There’s no censorship going on, the OP is just asking for some new female chest armor to be added that’s doesn’t look like a push-up bra.

Thank you, that is correct.

Also, let’s please keep the thread respectful. As I said before, I don’t have a problem with the non-human races armor. The “boob window” (Lol!) on asura or charr is not the issue, because they really don’t have anything to show anyway.

I am not asking them to take any existing sets out of the game. I don’t see a problem with asking them to keep it balanced between revealing and non revealing. If they put in 5 new armor sets that are tasteful (as an example) it would be more balanced between the two than it is now.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Rouven.7409

(…)
I am not asking them to take any existing sets out of the game. I don’t see a problem with asking them to keep it balanced between revealing and non revealing. If they put in 5 new armor sets that are tasteful (as an example) it would be more balanced between the two than it is now.

Can you specify the last 5 released skins/outfits that weren’t “tasteful”?

Edit: And no, in general there is nothing wrong with asking for a balance, I just can’t find the un-balance as mentioned earlier on in the thread. I think this is more a perceived issue.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The OP clearly states he has no problems with other people wearing skimpy armor and does not want those removed.

The OP also states that he has never really looked at all the available outfit, or just showing the face means already “skimpy” to him.

Especially if you look at medium armor most of them covers everything, and even light armor there is more full body covering armor than what i would call skimpy.

Or of course that 5-10% is simply “way too much” for him, and not only maybe over 50%.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

A Massive Headache.1879

The OP also states that he has never really looked at all the available outfit, or just showing the face means already “skimpy” to him.

Especially if you look at medium armor most of them covers everything, and even light armor there is more full body covering armor than what i would call skimpy.

Or of course that 5-10% is simply “way too much” for him, and not only maybe over 50%.

Actually op clearly says the opposite as a wardrobe nut, having researched the options. also, the incarnate, flamekissed, and profane are the extremely skimpy armor from the gemstore, that someone else asked for.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

timmyf.1490

Also, I am a wardrobe nut. I am trying to collect nearly every armor in the game. I have a lot, though far from finished primarily because I still need to get a fair amount of dungeon armor. I think it’s fair to say I have researched my options. There are a couple of good sets, but for someone like me who loves to mix and match, and play around with my armor looks a lot, there’s not much variety. I spend a lot of my time looking for really cool combos to make, and you just can’t make too many tasteful ones. For example, there are a lot of chest pieces that show all of the stomach, which I don’t like and makes it nearly impossible to pair with different leggings.

I don’t see where you get “The OP also states that he has never really looked at all the available outfit.”

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Elathan.4902

Elathan.4902

Nope, tl;dr.

But I actually agree with the OP, it would be nice to have more practical looking armours be released.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I really like the female armors.
But then again, I’m a guy. What do I know

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Castrin.8972

Castrin.8972

Yes I read the post and that was just a CYA statement to cover the fact that he didn’t want people thinking he wanted something censored or removed. Did you really read his post?

If (according to the OP) the problem is having them in his inventory, I think he can safely ignore them. Since he is not concerned with how others are wearing skimpy armor.

Grandmaster
Order of the Empyrean Shield [OES]

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Rouven.7409

Actually op clearly says the opposite as a wardrobe nut, having researched the options. also, the incarnate, flamekissed, and profane are the extremely skimpy armor from the gemstore, that someone else asked for.

Profane is not new, I mentioned the recycled flame skins (although I would like to add medium and heavy aetherblade as non-skin showing, since I only mentioned the light version).

Definitely incarnate, ok.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

timmyf.1490

Yes I read the post and that was just a CYA statement to cover the fact that he didn’t want people thinking he wanted something censored or removed. Did you really read his post?

If (according to the OP) the problem is having them in his inventory, I think he can safely ignore them. Since he is not concerned with how others are wearing skimpy armor.

His complaint is that he would like more high-end skins that aren’t revealing, especially for light armor. Think about the “coolest” human female skins in the game – not the crappy bandit ones that you get. The really sweet looking ones. Most (though not all) of them tend to be ornate push-up bras, not armor.

I think it’s a valid request. It certainly doesn’t constitute censorship. People are reacting waaaayyy too strongly.

Though this is the internet, so I guess I need to recalibrate my expectations.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

It’s hilarious people make such a huge problem out of something so insignificant.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Rouven.7409

(…)I think it’s a valid request. It certainly doesn’t constitute censorship. People are reacting waaaayyy too strongly.

Though this is the internet, so I guess I need to recalibrate my expectations.

Oh, I think it’s a valid request in general too. But maybe one should not put “Seriously?” in their thread title as if to say “are you stupid?”. That might help. It is the internet after all.

Other than that this is not a new thread, the skimpy debate comes up in cycles … every few months. Maybe they should be all merged together.

Armor. Seriously? Part 2

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Since this thread could not stay constructive and respectful, we are closing it.