Ascended Accoutrement- why no precursor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: longshot.1397

longshot.1397

hi folks,

i am so disappointed that the Ascended Accoutrement does not option a precursor to choose from. After creating/investing in 3 armor craft professions to 500 and then crafting 3 full sets of ascended this title reward box should give option to select a precursor. The precursor should be account bound on acquire so it cant be sold but at least would give a path reward that makes the title really worth it.

Since crafting legendary is still a big investment, this wouldn’t upset the tp and would give people hope.

Right now its a choice, save all your cash and buy precursor from tp with exotic armor or craft ascended armor and ascended weapon.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Eh… I don’t care much for ascended gear or legendaries, but even I think getting a precursor would be a little much as a reward. But on the other hand getting this achievement requires spending money easily equal to or surpassing the cost of a precursor. And then as a reward… you get a single item from the tier of equipment below what you just crafted? That is like giving someone a pinewood derby trophy for winning the Indy 500.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

… this achievement requires spending money…

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

… this achievement requires spending money…

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Lol, fair enough, you CAN get all the mats yourself and level from 0 to 500 without spending a single dime, and then earn the mats to craft the hundreds of salvaged exotics necessary for all the ectos and dark matter.

But let’s be honest, has anyone ever done that? And if so, what on earth were you thinking!? Are you out of your mind? It is insurmountably easier, faster, and only marginally more expensive to earn gold and buy mats than earn the mats as drops. Possibly even cheaper if you consider the time you could have spent doing content with reasonable monetary output.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

I think that it should have given an ascended backpack or maybe a high level agony infusion.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

hi folks,

i am so disappointed that the Ascended Accoutrement does not option a precursor to choose from. After creating/investing in 3 armor craft professions to 500 and then crafting 3 full sets of ascended this title reward box should give option to select a precursor. The precursor should be account bound on acquire so it cant be sold but at least would give a path reward that makes the title really worth it.

Since crafting legendary is still a big investment, this wouldn’t upset the tp and would give people hope.

Right now its a choice, save all your cash and buy precursor from tp with exotic armor or craft ascended armor and ascended weapon.

I just levelled my armorsmith to 500 and crafted 5 heavy armor ascended sets because i only play heavy class.
I still unlocked the achievement by using all those useless ascended armor boxes that are piling up in my bank with stats that i dont need to create the light and medium set.

Lemonsqueezy precursor.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

It’s a fair call I think, when you consider ascended armour is very heavy on the ascended materials and will EASILY go past the cost of even the most expensive precursor’s value on the TP.

I almost wanna see a comparison of the cost of materials to craft for full ascended (all weights) versus the cost of a precursor weapon. Would make for interesting reading.

If the ascended armour boxes account for unlocking certain pieces then I think that’s a bit of a gimme. If you preclude these from the achievement and make people actually work for their ascended (craft it themselves), then I think it would be a more level playing field. Sorry wanze, no free lunch.

PS: thanks to getting in early enough and saving most of my materials from when I started, I actually made money back on my investment of 500 armour-crafting. It’s fairly profitable and easy enough to do if you can manage to do the same and use a crafting booster.

EDIT: Wanze, can you confirm that the ascended armour boxes actually contribute to the progress of this title? I know that when I got my Wurmslayer Epaulettes (Illustrious Epaulettes skin), it unlocked light, medium and heavy weights. This has NOT added to the progress of Ascended Accoutrement.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

(edited by Valandil Dragonhart.2371)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The Wurmslayer helm/gloves are their own unique skin. You need to unlock the base Illustrious skins for light, medium and heavy.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

It’s a fair call I think, when you consider ascended armour is very heavy on the ascended materials and will EASILY go past the cost of even the most expensive precursor’s value on the TP.

I almost wanna see a comparison of the cost of materials to craft for full ascended (all weights) versus the cost of a precursor weapon. Would make for interesting reading.

If the ascended armour boxes account for unlocking certain pieces then I think that’s a bit of a gimme. If you preclude these from the achievement and make people actually work for their ascended (craft it themselves), then I think it would be a more level playing field. Sorry wanze, no free lunch.

PS: thanks to getting in early enough and saving most of my materials from when I started, I actually made money back on my investment of 500 armour-crafting. It’s fairly profitable and easy enough to do if you can manage to do the same and use a crafting booster.

EDIT: Wanze, can you confirm that the ascended armour boxes actually contribute to the progress of this title? I know that when I got my Wurmslayer Epaulettes (Illustrious Epaulettes skin), it unlocked light, medium and heavy weights. This has NOT added to the progress of Ascended Accoutrement.

Wurmslayer Epaulettes arent crafted ascended armor.
I am not 100% sure, if you have to open the chests on a light armor class to choose a light piece or if you get all 18 options no matter which class opens them. I didnt try it on my heavy, i just used one each of my light and medium class mules/crafters, took out 6 boxes each from my bank and opened them.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

You can pick any weight class armor piece on any character.

As for the achievement itself, it’s pretty easy for anyone who runs fractals daily. I have only crafted 2 armor sets and both of those were medium armors, rest I’ve got as a drop from fractal end rewards.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

When do you start seeing these ascended armour boxes? What fractal # starts rewarding them?

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

They start dropping from lvl 11 onwards. Droprates are rather bad on lower levels but when you get to +40 tier you start to see about 1/10 chance for an armor box.

Here is our guilds droprate spreadsheet for fractal droprates on each daily tier.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18IHVJao5j85KOp6lBTOgO8qs4VYD3Xty-jKPZo8o-Q4/pubhtml

Posted by: WGuardian.1028

WGuardian.1028

Some1 asked about comparison of prices for precursor vs 3 sets of ascended armor.

3 sets of berserker armor (1 of each weight) if u buy basic mats and craft each part that can be crafted will cost u:
~1473g + 360 skill points + ascended mats and karma (I’m to lazy to count them );

most epansive precursors for now stand somewhere in this range 974g – 1360g.

And they r not most expansive exotic weapons:
Infinite light = 1400g; Mjölnir = 2000g;

edit: also u will need 90 laurels (5 for each piece).

(edited by WGuardian.1028)

Posted by: BBMouse.6510

BBMouse.6510

The Grand Artisan title gives a box that contains a list of exotics of which you can keep 1. I just obtained it recently and actually find out the price of each of those on TP and sell it. The highest item worth around 150G at the time. So yeah, the reward is 150G for me. Precursor is like near 800G+ XD. So anyway, the reward can be some amount of gold and you buy whatever you want from TP with that gold. I mean any reward can be made gold in this game.

Ascended armor/weapon from fractals are not reliable. The only ones I need are the zerker type, which never dropped. I usually got the condition healing types from the drops which are currently taking my bank spaces XD. I got all my ascended from crafting at the end.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Well, it’s not like you threw all that money down the drain.

You end up with 3 full sets of ascended armour. If you had to sacrifice the sets for the achievement, that might be a different story.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I haven’t done this achievement yet but I remember looking at the rewards when they were first added and I seem to remember it does specify that it’s one of the exotics that drop from champions, not any exotic item at all.

It’s only a choice in the short term. It’s probably not practical for most people to save up for a precursor while crafting ascended armor but you can do one then the other later on.

That’s exactly what I’m doing now in fact. I bought my precursor back in August and just the other day decided to carry on working the ascended coat for my ranger while I finish map completion.

Admittedly it did require using up some of the ectoplasm and T6 mats I had been saving for the legendary, but I should be able to get that back long before I’ve finished other parts.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

Seriously, talk about entitlement. 3 ascended sets of each weight class, 6 legendaries and working on 7th and 8th, and 18+ ascended weapons, and I think a precursor is way too much of a reward. I’m quite happy to buy or forge my precursors, since I know how to work towards a goal and run content like it’s my 2nd job (cause that’s how you get stuff done).

Honestly, I’m quite happy with the ugly longbow I chose from the list of exotics that I sold on the TP for 350g for those silly people who just really want to complete the named exotic weapon collection.

I would have made all 3 weight classes whether it was an achievement or not, since you know, I made them because they have better stats and because they are account bound, and that’s a reward in itself.

If you strive to me more than a casual (which there is nothing wrong with, just don’t expect to have all the shinies) and don’t spend all your time doing unprofitable content like wvw, everything in this game is easily within your grasp without having to demand anet hand it to you on a silver platter.

(edited by calyx.9086)