Ascended Armor Needs Laurels

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

And yes, they did it…..

Now if you have more than one set of armor for each toon, and want infusions, you’ll be waiting MONTHS to be able to complete one set.

Add in alts, and the wait time gets even longer.

Stupid time gating.

Totally NOT alt friendly.

I guess they just don’t want players with alts or players who use more than one build.

I have a stunning total of 17 laurels, not even finished getting ascended rings etc for the current main and now face months before I am on a level playing field with the press 1 one build melee train heavy armor classes…

30 laurels + for one ring, then another 5 for one infusion..

and now 5 laurels for each piece of armor, +5 for infusions..

Thanks Anet.

By my reckoning if I NEVER miss a daily or monthly I’ll have my toons equipped with ascended items and gear sometime in late 2015 or spring 2016….

And WHY is it all account bound? At least make ascended items tradeable so everyone doesn’t have to do this ridiculous gear grind.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: ethereal.9780

ethereal.9780

Totally agree, we need more ways to get laurels…or change the price of the recipies.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

annoyed

Ok there’s “long term” (which I can live with), and then there is insanely long term (which I’m not so ok with).

Cmon Anet, I know you want us to stretch it out, but geez!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You get 1 Laurel per daily completion. These don’t take long to do, so even Casuals can do it. And keep in mind that Ascended Armors are top of the line BiS gear. It’s not meant to be able to get easily or quickly. Even if you did 3 dailies a week, you should have roughly 150 Laurels saved up over the year. That’s more than enough to be alt friendly.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: waldie.6015

waldie.6015

330 laurels, 1 char. gg.

but.. it was so clear that you will need at least a few laurels..even if i had a lot of alts, and time to play them, there would be enough laurels. because you can everything from the laurels npc also from guild npc

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Totally agree, we need more ways to get laurels…

This is really it. Laurels are just too slow to come. 40 laurels in a month, and you can blow 40 of them on a single trinket from a vendor. That’s broken. Working an entire month for a single amulet. Ouch.

I think dailies should just award 2, and monthlies should award 20.

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

You get 1 Laurel per daily completion. These don’t take long to do, so even Casuals can do it. And keep in mind that Ascended Armors are top of the line BiS gear. It’s not meant to be able to get easily or quickly. Even if you did 3 dailies a week, you should have roughly 150 Laurels saved up over the year. That’s more than enough to be alt friendly.

150 laurels is more than enough to be alt friendly? lol How many toons can you max out in ascended with that?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

150 laurels is more than enough to be alt friendly? lol How many toons can you max out in ascended with that?

150 laurels = 5 amulets.

er.. um.. let’s see. Divide by 6, carry the one… add a time gate… factor in soulbinding…. balance changes… hmmm…

nope, not alt friendly at all.

But as I’ve been saying for months, ANet doesn’t care about alts. There more worried about the majority with a single toon running out of stuff to get.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Theyre trying to make a grind to keep completionists playing. If it isnt this it would be something else, there is no escaping grind. I’m dedicated to one main now though.

Dont forget though, in mmos, over time they always make it more trivial to get top tier for new players entering, so in a year I’ll bet there will be many ways to get laurels.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Why anet even let players make more than one character? This is just insane. They could have just tell players not to waste laurels.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Firion Corodix.4510

Firion Corodix.4510

Why anet even let players make more than one character? This is just insane. They could have just tell players not to waste laurels.

It’s even worse, why does anet even let players try different builds on one character? You’d have to get the same amount of laurels all over again if you want to switch from a power to a conditions build. These insane laurel costs don’t mix well with the rest of the game (like for example the trait system) at all. At a small cost we can easily change our traits and go for a totally different build, but then getting the same kind of gear for that new build takes 6 months or more? There is no consistency in the game’s design there at all, why allow for such freedom in the trait system if switching gear is ridiculously slow in comparison? Sounds like an Epic Fail from the people who designed that.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I think laurels made sense when they first launched. Now, with the amount of stuff that depends on laurels, I think ANet should open up the discussion on how best to dole them out. There’s just a LOT of stuff that needs laurels now, and the supply of laurels hasn’t increased at all since almost the beginning of laurels.

Posted by: Henri Blanche.8276

Henri Blanche.8276

And saving Laurels for Ascended Armor and Trinkets means the exclusion of using Laurels for anything else. When I first reached 75 Laurels I immediately acquired a Mini Goedulf. I personally don’t have buyer’s remorse but I’m sure many folks now regret any such frivolous purchase.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I think laurels made sense when they first launched. Now, with the amount of stuff that depends on laurels, I think ANet should open up the discussion on how best to dole them out. There’s just a LOT of stuff that needs laurels now, and the supply of laurels hasn’t increased at all since almost the beginning of laurels.

On the plus side you can get rings from fractals and earrings from guild commendations. I’m fine with limiting the laurels (then again I really only care about ascended gear on my main, my alts can all trudge along in random drops), but they should give an option.

Let us exchange an ascended item for one of the same type but with different stats. (Selling them back to the vendor for laurels would be somewhat problematic because of all the rings from fractals.) At least this would allow us to change builds almost “on the fly.” With the amount of investment for the gear it would be nice if we had a way to try a different build if we wanted to or were forced to.

It’s pretty similar to karma. Those that have a lot have nothing to spend it on. Those that need more don’t have a way to earn it fast.

Posted by: ccastiel.6931

ccastiel.6931

I only play 2 characters. I need 120 laurels for them just for the armor(one set for wvw, one for dungeons). Assuming I craft the weapons instead of praying to RNG god for the drop, and also the right stat set drop (note: I ‘ve never seen an ascended weapon drop) there goes an other 80 laurels. Let’s say I get the rings from fractals and the earrings with guild commendations, and I buy my amulets from WvW, I need an other 80 laurels. So a total of 280 laurels to dress up my 2 chars, which is about 7 months. Well thought.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

No content in this game requires ascended anything. I happily play all dungeons/WvW/fractals with no ascended gear whatsoever. You’re making it sound like even fractal 40+ can’t be done without ascended. Multiple players have been doing fractal 50+ with exotic armour before any changes. It is just there for a goal and a prestige look, but is far from required.

Wallace MacBix.2089

I only play 2 characters. I need 120 laurels for them just for the armor(one set for wvw, one for dungeons). Assuming I craft the weapons instead of praying to RNG god for the drop, and also the right stat set drop (note: I ‘ve never seen an ascended weapon drop) there goes an other 80 laurels. Let’s say I get the rings from fractals and the earrings with guild commendations, and I buy my amulets from WvW, I need an other 80 laurels. So a total of 280 laurels to dress up my 2 chars, which is about 7 months. Well thought.

I’m not at home so I can’t check the recopies, but it costs 5 laurels for each armor slot? 30 laurles for a full set is an annoying amount, I was hoping we’d be crafting the armor by the box. :/

Posted by: ccastiel.6931

ccastiel.6931

I’m not at home so I can’t check the recopies, but it costs 5 laurels for each armor slot? 30 laurles for a full set is an annoying amount, I was hoping we’d be crafting the armor by the box. :/

Yes, you need 5 laurels per piece.

Wallace MacBix.2089

Yes, you need 5 laurels per piece.

Well that is annoyingly lame. Bleh, I was expecting 5 laurels for the whole set, not for each item. I take it that means that each piece also requires time gated mats too. If I didn’t already have the mats saved up I don’t think I’d even bother.

Smooth Penguin.5294

150 laurels = 5 amulets.

er.. um.. let’s see. Divide by 6, carry the one… add a time gate… factor in soulbinding…. balance changes… hmmm…

nope, not alt friendly at all.

But as I’ve been saying for months, ANet doesn’t care about alts. There more worried about the majority with a single toon running out of stuff to get.

You can also use Guild Commendations to get amulets and other accessories. Just because you don’t play all aspects of the game, doesn’t mean other people can’t fully gear all their characters.

After a Mysterious Cat Tonic, +Karma infusions, +attribute infusions, etc., I still have over 300 Laurels. Add to that about 100 Guild Commendations for casually doing Guild Missions, and you get the picture.

As I said earlier, Daily completions don’t take long. You just need to put in some effort to pick the easy ones, and complete them. Heck, some players can even get their Monthly done on the first day.

Here’s some tips on how you can speed up some of your achievements: Monthly requirements sometimes have “Salvage 500 items” or “Craft Masterwork”. You can stockpile your bank with these things ahead of time. Also, join a zerg in WvW, and you can get your 50 Invader kills in an hour’s worth of play.

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

So now I need 270 laurels to gear my 9 characters with armor? Wow When will those of us with alts stop being dunked on like this.

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

I’m pretty sure everyone expected this months ago based on the fact that weapons recipes required laurels. I had 60 laurels saved for this.

Planning ahead is a good thing, try it.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Question:

How come none of you guys use guild coms and WvW badges and/or fractal relics ? You do realize that by doing so you can reduce the laurel requirements by a LOT, and I do mean a LOT.

Rings: free via fractals
earrings: free via guild comms
backpiece: reduced via fractals
amulet: free via guild coms

AR infusions: free via fractals
Stat infusions: reduced via WvW

I am looking forward to logging into the game today and gettign at least armorsmith and tailor up to 500. Going to leave leatherworker for later due to simple fact I dont play much leather wearing toons.

I dont see any problem with any of this and think the people that complain about it are the ones who are demonstrating flat out gross incompetence at different aspects of the game such as WvW only players or PvE only players, and as such, should never be able to get any of these items at all, as these are supposed to be best in slot.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Smooth Penguin.5294

Question:

How come none of you guys use guild coms and WvW badges and/or fractal relics ? You do realize that by doing so you can reduce the laurel requirements by a LOT, and I do mean a LOT.

I am looking forward to logging into the game today and gettign at least armorsmith and tailor up to 500. Going to leave leatherworker for later due to simple fact I dont play much leather wearing toons.

I dont see any problem with any of this and think the people that complain about it are the ones who are demonstrating flat out gross incompetence at different aspects of the game such as WvW only players or PvE only players, and as such, should never be able to get any of these items at all, as these are supposed to be best in slot.

^ this exactly. Options are there for players willing to make the effort.

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Question:

Don’t know about others, but I do all this.

Part of my issue is I recently joined a new (WvW) guild. And with the guild they have an expected build composition and it does not match what I currently have so I have been working on changing out all of this to match what is expected. If your a hardcore WvW player these things happen. But there are only so many laurels out there. I have 10.5k achievement points trying to get every single laurel I can because I just can’t get enough. I do every daily. I farm fractals and do guild missions and craft back pieces. Its just not enough when you need to respec at any time. Not on all 8 classes.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I could craft ascended weapons today if I wanted and I play most days so even laurels wouldn’t be a problem for me to acquire a single set (I agree about the alt issues, before you even consider alternate sets for alternate builds) but ascended is being horribly implemented. It’s like a systematic attempt to make the game worse.

I could craft ascended today but given how the crafting dev designed the grind and acquisition of these items, I’m beginning to wonder if ArenaNet knows what “fun” is any more. When I see a system that’s as unfun as ascneded crafting I just have to opt out. Ascended weapons and armour need a wake up call, just like WvW ranks.

Wallace MacBix.2089

Question:

Both of you are not understanding the point of the OP.

Yes, if you have only 1 character with one build then gearing up isn’t really a problem. But the extensive time gating behind ascended gear limits you a lot. Prior to ascended gear if you wanted to try a new build (or gear up a fresh lvl 80) you could do it with some saved up karma, 5-15g and use the tp, or use saved up mats and craft it. Now everything is time gated.

Yes, rings are free (anyone can get a group for fractals).

Guild commendations are not free, you need to be in a big enough guild to be able to do them, so they do not help everyone.

With ascended gear if you want to gear someone up you now need to spend:

0 = Rings, either 20 days for pristines, or get lucky with a drop
20 = Amulet (from WvW)
80 = Accessory (or 0 with 2 weeks min from guild missions)
0 = Back (but you need 1,850 fractal relics)
20-30 =5 laurels per weapon (minimum 4 weapons, max 6)
30 = 6 armor pieces
————-
160 laurels max to gear up one character for one build (80 if you are in a big enough guild).

150 laurels min (70 if you have commendations).

Even assuming you can do guild missions. How can you justify just under 2 months (50 days of dailies and both monthlies) to gear up 1 character or change builds. Or at the longest extreme 4 months (120 from dailies + 40 from monthlies) for 1 set of gear. And that’s assuming playing every single day. And during those 2.5-4 months they still need to gather all of the other mats (guild commendations, 1.8k fractal relics, etc.)

While I don’t have the problems of people with multiple characters (I’m happy just gearing my main in ascended) I can at least understand where they are coming from.

What would you do if you’re favorite build got nerfed to the point of being unuseable in dungeons/WvW/whatever you like to do and you had to get a whole new gear set?

Posted by: Asia Skyly.7198

Asia Skyly.7198

I play 8 characters, I had them all set in exotics prior to the ascended gear introduction. Can you imagine the nightmare of trying to gear all these characters with ascended weapons and armor? That is without any consideration to multiple armor sets.

Whatever joy my altoholic heart felt switching classes at the spurt of the moment has been killed. I am now forced to play a “main” in places like high level fractals.

Fortunately things like Fractals < 31 and dungeons have not changed, so I can still go there with whatever character I like.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Don’t forget that you get 10 for the monthly and they pour out of every achievement chest. I have well over 150 laurels after spending 100s and laurels have not even been out for a year.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Smooth Penguin.5294

Question:

Both of you are not understanding the point of the OP.

Yes, if you have only 1 character with one build then gearing up isn’t really a problem. But the extensive time gating behind ascended gear limits you a lot. Prior to ascended gear if you wanted to try a new build (or gear up a fresh lvl 80) you could do it with some saved up karma, 5-15g and use the tp, or use saved up mats and craft it. Now everything is time gated.

Yes, rings are free (anyone can get a group for fractals).

Guild commendations are not free, you need to be in a big enough guild to be able to do them, so they do not help everyone.

With ascended gear if you want to gear someone up you now need to spend:

0 = Rings, either 20 days for pristines, or get lucky with a drop
20 = Amulet (from WvW)
80 = Accessory (or 0 with 2 weeks min from guild missions)
0 = Back (but you need 1,850 fractal relics)
20-30 =5 laurels per weapon (minimum 4 weapons, max 6)
30 = 6 armor pieces
————-
160 laurels max to gear up one character for one build (80 if you are in a big enough guild).

150 laurels min (70 if you have commendations).

Even assuming you can do guild missions. How can you justify just under 2 months (50 days of dailies and both monthlies) to gear up 1 character or change builds. Or at the longest extreme 4 months (120 from dailies + 40 from monthlies) for 1 set of gear. And that’s assuming playing every single day. And during those 2.5-4 months they still need to gather all of the other mats (guild commendations, 1.8k fractal relics, etc.)

While I don’t have the problems of people with multiple characters (I’m happy just gearing my main in ascended) I can at least understand where they are coming from.

What would you do if you’re favorite build got nerfed to the point of being unuseable in dungeons/WvW/whatever you like to do and you had to get a whole new gear set?

And you’re not understanding that Ascended gear is BiS, and isn’t meant to be gotten quickly, easily, or cheaply.

Posted by: FuriousPop.2789

FuriousPop.2789

dont forget the achievement chests, its not much that you get from them but can save you a few completing a few dailies….

Maybe if they increased the laurels you get from each chest might be a little more helpful..

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

i think making it laurel-tastic was both an obvious and hilarious move.

did anyone really imagine they could knock up some instant-ascended-armor?

/amused yet not surprised

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

With the latest release of ascended armor, the problem of alts has reached an all time high. If you have 8 characters, it will take you 1 year and 1 month to get all the ascended gear you need. This is assuming you get rings and backpeice from fractals and earrings from guild missions. And that’s for only one set. God forbid you have multiple armor sets. Here’s the math:

Ascended armor: 30 laurels
Ascended weapons: 15 laurels (assuming a dual wield/two hand weapon swap, can be more or less)
Ascended necklace: 20 laurels (assuming you buy them with wvw badges)
Total: 65 laurels

Multiply this by 8 characters, thats 520 laurels. For one set of armor/weapons and trinkets only.

Let’s say you’re really diligent, and complete every single daily and monthly. On average you will get 40 laurels per month, which isn’t even enough to gear 1 character.

520/40 = 13 months.

This calculation does not take into account laurel rewards from achievement chests, which vary from person to person.

This calculation also does not take into account wvw infusions, which cost 5 laurels per infusion and characters can equip (for the moment) at least 8 infusions or 40 laurels. If you factor this into account it will take 21 months to gear 8 characters.

Holy mother of time gating batman!

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

(edited by Quick Mouse.7635)

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

And you’re not understanding that Ascended gear is BiS, and isn’t meant to be gotten quickly, easily, or cheaply.

I agree. Except it is easy. Dailies and monthlies are joke to do. They don’t cost anything either.
Quickly is all thats left, and this time-gating is the dumbest thing they could do. They don’t want people to have it right on the first day, I get that. Its supposed to be hard to get, I get that.
But this is truly the best they could come up with for achieving that? Time gate it behind a lame 20min daily for weeks? If this is the best they could come up with, I weep for the future of this game.
Your argument would be valid if you actually had to do anything hard to get it. You don’t. You only have to grind and do the dailies. The only difference between GW2 BiS gear grind and any other MMO is that you can’t do it faster. They not only dangle the carrot, but put a leash on you so you can’t get it unless its on their time-table.
This is revolutionary? Ugh.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

See this post where I calculate how long it will take to gear 8 characters with ascended gear.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Massive-Laurel-Problem/first#post3348710

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Please list “where” you need ascended items to progress in the game?

Yer it’s a lot and takes quite a lot of time to make.. but as their not required for anything atm, there is no rush to get them

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Asia Skyly.7198

Fractals level 40+ requires ascended gear for the agony infusions. The current situation forces a person like me, who likes all 8 classes equally, to chose a primary or “main” to progress through the higher fractal levels.

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

It actually may not be that long. You have 3 class at medium armor, 3 light, and 2 heavy. It would take that long if you used a different setup for each class, but there should be some overlap in there that cuts the time down.

Also ascended armor is supposed to be a long term thing, not a got to have it right now.

Hjorje

Posted by: robert.3475

robert.3475

but didnt you read arenanet said this is part of what makes gw2 diffrent no gear grind .they are right its not a gear grind its a freaking nightmare lol

TooBz.3065

Yer it’s a lot and takes quite a lot of time to make.. but as their not required for anything atm, there is no rush to get them

This argument is tiresome. The only reason for ascended gear to exist is to allow for progression. If it’s ok for people with one toon to want to progress, it’s ok for people with multiple toons to want to progress.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

TooBz.3065

It actually may not be that long. You have 3 class at medium armor, 3 light, and 2 heavy. It would take that long if you used a different setup for each class, but there should be some overlap in there that cuts the time down.

Also ascended armor is supposed to be a long term thing, not a got to have it right now.

I’ll bet someone has a full set by the end of the week.

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

Wait… an MMO has time sinks? Why wasn’t I told about this!

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

i hear this a lot.

this whole alt thing.

let’s get something straight here.

you cannot have an alt without first having a main.

if you have 8 characters, 1 is the main, 7 are alts.

by your calculations it would take you an eighth of that time to full equip your main.

that’s not even two months.

hardly threadworthy.

now, the 7 alts.

they only count to you.

it is unreasonable to calculate x number of alts into the mix.

soon no doubt someone with two accounts;
1 main and 19 alts will appear to perform creative maths.

it all amounts to redundant entitlement.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Isn’t this assuming that all your characters are wearing different types of gear (light, medium, heavy) all with different stat combinations (berserker, knights, soldier, etc.)

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

Asia Skyly.7198

Wait… an MMO has time sinks? Why wasn’t I told about this!

This is an old and tired mentality. Just because it was this way, does not mean it has to be this way. There is a better choice, one without treadmills and time sinks. One where you play for fun.

Some people are still OK with the gear treadmills, others, are here because the initial promise that there would be none of that.

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

And you’re not understanding that for GW2, that’s bad game design because it flies entirely in the face of how the game was supposed to be. (insert quote about even casuals having BiS by level 80 here)

But silly me. I forgot. You’re one of those players that wants GW2 to be just like every other MMO already out on the market.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

This is the biggest frustration. Its a carrot for the sake of being a carrot. It serves no purpose except to segregate the population between BiS and non-BiS.
Might be different if there was actually content that needed it. Or of there was some way other than to literally grind it out (no, drops do not count as a viable way to get it – anyone claiming this please let me know when you get all 6 matching pieces just by drops alone)

TooBz.3065

snip

you cannot have an alt without first having a main.

snip

False premise. Alt is just a term that is used to generically refer to people with more than one character. I have 8 alts, and no main. Or one character I play more than the others, but who that is changes.

If we were only suppose to have one character, and this game was not going to be multiple character friendly (it was originally, but it really isn’t anymore) then they should have made that clear upfront.

Edit: removing some of the qq, but not all.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

I’ll bet someone has a full set by the end of the week.

A lot of people in my guild had them 15 mins after the patch :P (cost them 500-600 gold to buy the time gated items from the TP)

Unlike most people I think this game is very alt friendly, getting ascended is not something for alt character, just like legendary, it’s something you put on your main. Exotic on the other hand is exactly why I think this game is alt friendly, they have almost the same stats, more than sufficient for any content (maybe except fractals for AR) and they take close to no time to get. I have 5 alts all geared in exotic and they do the job when I need them. I’m slowy converting their trinket/weapon to ascended as time goes by, but it’s not necessary.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

If you don’t NEED it, why does it exist?