Ascended Drops

Ascended Drops

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

It seems to me that something is wrong with ascended drops. For items that are supposed to be some of the best drops a player can get in the game, they fall short imo. They fall short due to the added element of stat rng. This can cause a player to go from “omg finally something good” to “ugh….vendor trash” in a matter of seconds.

If they would to allow us to pick the stats of an ascended drop this “treasure to trash” aspect would cease and keep ascended drops rewarding. Since we know they have the ability to change items like this (see old mf items), I cannot see any reason to keep the fundamental flaw ascended drops currently have.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Ascended Drops

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

It’s probably related to not wanting to remove the time/material gates that go into obtaining Ascended gear.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Ascended Drops

Essence Snow.3194

Why would it require removing those?

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Agreed OP.

I’m very annoyed with the ratio of useless ascended chests to useful ones that I have:

http://puu.sh/hlRTM.png

Part of me wants to just loot them and pick the skins that look best then vendor for 1g each… but part of me also wants to hoard them instead because knowing my luck the moment I’d vendor them they would finally allow us to salvage them.

Ascended Drops

mtpelion.4562

If you want A and I hand you a token that allows you to select A, then your ability to obtain A is 1/1.

If you want A and I hand you a token that allows you to pick a letter out of a hat while blindfolded, your ability to obtain A is 1/26.

A 1/26 chance forces you to engage in more attempts (on average) to obtain A.

Ascended Drops

Essence Snow.3194

That’s some strange logic….

We have the ability to craft them, so intended attempts are 1/1.

Ascended Drops

Posted by: alwinp.2791

alwinp.2791

least thing they could do is ALLOW US TO SALVAGE THEM.

Seriously, i don’t need a ton of mats from salvaging one. but recovering perhaps a bolt of damaks/ deldrimor ingot or leather square would still give it SOME VALUE.

Hell, i’d be glad even with a lesser vision crystal or even just some scraps.

then again, i crafted a full set because hoping to find a full set with the correct stats would take quite a long time this way. I feel it encourages people to actually craft some pieces.

The droprates imo also look faced towards stats that aren’t included in most meta builds. I hardly see people obtain zerk stats for example.

(edited by alwinp.2791)

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

If you want A and I hand you a token that allows you to select A, then your ability to obtain A is 1/1.

If you want A and I hand you a token that allows you to pick a letter out of a hat while blindfolded, your ability to obtain A is 1/26.

As unethical and sick as this is, it is exactly what I’d expect of this company.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Ascended Drops

mtpelion.4562

That’s some strange logic….

We have the ability to craft them, so intended attempts are 1/1.

Crafting is also gated by time and cost.

Point being, they have determined how much time on average it should take to get ascended gear in order to keep players working on it. They have determined that giving you your choice from a drop would impact this timeline and therefore it is not an option.

Nothing wrong with the logic. You may be looking at this from the wrong perspective (the benefit to you versus the intent of the design).

Ascended Drops

Essence Snow.3194

The rate at which they drop prevents that from being an issue. If they dropped all the time, then I’d be inclined to agree, but they do not. They are once in a blue moon type events that are more of a bonus.

The effect you mention is completely overshadowed by the positive impact to reward a change like this would make. In other words you’re overlooking a mountain because of a molehill.

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

i got 2 maybe 3 Asc drops total with close to 2 years playing
it’s something i prob will never get other than the laurel ones
and hate crafting so that’s not a option

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Tink.9486

Tink.9486

What they need to do is increase the drop rate, im told its 0.00001 % or some really low % like that. I have Done Teq for over 3 months everyday ( no teq hoard, no ascended) And I have opened over 5000 Bandit Chests and Bags and you know what I have a big fat 0 haha, seriously stupid bad RNG for a item that does not cost them to make more players happy.

Honestly do not even do Teq/SW for anything anymore other than the gold I get from doing them, because Luck is the basis of this game and not actually earning items. I want more ways to get items I can Earn, and feel good knowing I spent 3 months doing SW stuff and got something I earned, not because oh look at that I got lucky!

Ascended Drops

mtpelion.4562

The rate at which they drop prevents that from being an issue. If they dropped all the time, then I’d be inclined to agree, but they do not. They are once in a blue moon type events that are more of a bonus.

The effect you mention is completely overshadowed by the positive impact to reward a change like this would make. In other words you’re overlooking a mountain because of a molehill.

I’m not overlooking anything. I’m also not making a value statement of any kind. I’m simply providing the likely explanation for why reality currently exists as it does.

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Wintyr.1780

Wintyr.1780

lets see accended more dps more armour more stats extra slots for infusions that can also increase stats +5 a slot add them all together and they do make a huge dif one or 2 not so much

Ascended Drops

Essence Snow.3194

I’m not overlooking anything. I’m also not making a value statement of any kind. I’m simply providing the likely explanation for why reality currently exists as it does.

That would mean that this:

As unethical and sick as this is, it is exactly what I’d expect of this company.

is spot on.

(edited by Essence Snow.3194)

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Garth Thurgen.1380

Garth Thurgen.1380

That would mean that this:

is spot on.

Not really. People have been crying for an obviously good thing to be craftable for a profit, something that no one can deny as useful and doesn’t require complete understanding of the entire market to work as a sellable thing (as there has always been, and always will be, things that can be sold at a profit through any crafting profession). The time gated materials are those things in a generic sense (Leather being utterly worthless in this game having relegated it to the only one that cannot be sold for a profit). If you want to talk “unethical and sick,” it would be 100% the concept of them making a material that they out and out made a point of being profitable in such a fashion, and then proceeded to just go “lol, jk” and largely remove its profitability. Allowing for the salvage of materials will never happen for that very reason. The system was made with the express desire for something that could be crafted then sold, and the raw supply:demand was modified in such a way that it would stay profitable regardless of how many people were making it.

Their solution of making them worth 1g is also a factor in this, as they’ve expressly allowed for an additional source of raw gold into the game in a non-negligible factor. Unlike the rings, which have some issues of their own, this is a significant enough payoff as a trade for your drop from an in-game source (ie. not factored into the supply:demand system that the game has set about for its economy). That is as far as they will ever go, and that’s all it really needs to be. Ruining one expressed goal is not going to happen just to allow for higher market profit. You will have to live with your 1g + unlocked skin.

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’ve gotten 5 chests so far. None were for the stats I use on my chars. Which means each drop was a WOW! then a (bleep).

Oh well, it’s 5 gold. Who can ask for more. Right? Right.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I get they want to maintain the RNG factor in drops, but how about a MF recipe that turns 4 Ascended chests into a (random?) Ascended chest that lets you select the stats?

Wouldn’t kill to have the same type of MF recipe for just general Ascended items….just so you can do something with Ascended gear you no longer want.

Maybe 3 items / chests and an Agur Stone (the one that costs 20 skill points) as well?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’ve gotten a few ascended weapon chests, and I don’t think I’ve ever gotten an ascended armor drop. And I have full ascended gear of the stats I wanted. Take a guess how I got it…

Wtf are you even talking about? If you think a company is doing something “unethical” why are you supporting them? Or could it be -gasp- valueless hyperbole??

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Ascended Drops

alwinp.2791

What they need to do is increase the drop rate, im told its 0.00001 % or some really low % like that. I have Done Teq for over 3 months everyday ( no teq hoard, no ascended) And I have opened over 5000 Bandit Chests and Bags and you know what I have a big fat 0 haha, seriously stupid bad RNG for a item that does not cost them to make more players happy.

Honestly do not even do Teq/SW for anything anymore other than the gold I get from doing them, because Luck is the basis of this game and not actually earning items. I want more ways to get items I can Earn, and feel good knowing I spent 3 months doing SW stuff and got something I earned, not because oh look at that I got lucky!

so you’re doing teqault each day, you farm silver wastes each day and you still come and cry here about the ascended drop rates?

i’m pretty sure i farmed much less then you did and i still managed to craft a full light armor set (read: light armor is about 30% more in value compared to medium/heavy)

you don’t need luck to reach anything in this game. you can earn gold in so many ways

If you rather spend it on skins then thats your call, but don’t blame this on luck.

The only thing that requires luck in this game is obtaining a precursor. and even that you can farm in a decent ammount of time if you know what you’re doing

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’ve gotten 5 boxes from PvP, 0 from PvE including 362 fractals and a buncha Teqs and a few Wurms. Rank 50 Spvp~ most of which was after they added tracks, and 579 WvW~ Makes me wonder why I ever PvE at all for them. I never even see other people get them from Teq when I do it so that means a full zone of how many people..? Each of those people are 1 drop chance- that’s hundreds/thousands of Teq runs with no drop in a single day meaning you may literally never get one.

My PVP ones were:

Knight and Apothecary Armor
Cleric, Apothecary, and Knight Weapon.

Basically used them for Style Collection.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Yeah, the vast majority of ascended items I’ve gotten are functionally worthless for my characters.

We really ought to be able to choose the stats we want.

Ascended Drops

alwinp.2791

again, all the people who rant about the rate

Did you ever considered crafting isntead?

You see, it takes gold yes, but its a 1/1 chance ON GETTING THE STATS YOU WANT

Whats the big deal, seriously? I get that it sucks you get PVT everytime a chest drops, to bad, I had about 6 worthless chests aswell.

it made me realise one thing; kitten it, i’ll just craft it myself and be done with it.

You have the option to craft it ASWELL.

With all the farming you guys claim to have done you could have crafted maybe 2 or 3 full sets.

But no, you guys want ascended with right stats handed to you for hitting a boss with 1 fireball.

If you can farm all that stuff over & over i’m sure you can withstand the daily crafting limit and start refining the mats you need.

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

You want sick and unethical? Go play Runescape or WoW first. They have some really nasty drop percentages.

(edited by Zeivu.3615)

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Whats the big deal, seriously? I get that it sucks you get PVT everytime a chest drops, to bad, I had about 6 worthless chests aswell.

it made me realise one thing; kitten it, i’ll just craft it myself and be done with it.

With all the farming you guys claim to have done you could have crafted maybe 2 or 3 full sets.

But no, you guys want ascended with right stats handed to you for hitting a boss with 1 fireball.

If you can farm all that stuff over & over i’m sure you can withstand the daily crafting limit and start refining the mats you need.

I’ve crafted 54 ascended weapons. I have no interest in crafting the armor as I don’t believe it’s worth it and I still feel that if I get one of the rarest drops in the game, it should be worth more to me than a one gold pearl exotic with stats I have no use for. At least I can salvage the exotic.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ascended Drops

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Calm down, you sound ridiculous. The couple of drops I’ve gotten weren’t handed to me and they weren’t from spamming on a boss fight. My two drops came from long difficult coordinated fights that involved siege weapons, multiple groups of people cooperating, defense prepping, and team synergy between mostly strangers. I chose to play that part of the game with the little time I get after work rather than crafting, though I don’t hate crafting, but I have to budget my time well.

You can make the argument that people who put in the time to craft them should be rewarded over others who don’t, but if were going that route, we’re going to be playing a different Guild Wars 2 than we thought we’d be playing a few years ago. I’ve put in no less effort into the parts of the game I’ve played, parts which would actually benefit from that tier of gear, than you have. But F me for playing a part of the game that doesn’t pay out well in any sense.

Kash
NSP

Ascended Drops

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I’ve crafted 54 ascended weapons. I have no interest in crafting the armor as I don’t believe it’s worth it and I still feel that if I get one of the rarest drops in the game, it should be worth more to me than a one gold pearl exotic with stats I have no use for. At least I can salvage the exotic.

Exactly. I can do without the extra 5 – 10% stat increase that armour provides. Weapons offer a tangible increase in damage and are affordable to craft. I can think of far more interesting things to do with 300+ gold than craft an armour set.

It’s disappointing that one of the least common endgame drops can be essentially worthless. God knows there’s so little of value in loot tables as is. It is not unreasonable to expect a choice of item type and stats from the chest.

Ascended Drops

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Why was Ascended put into the game? Its only reason for existence was as a long term carrot to give players a reason to stay around longer. Crafting is the only realistic means to obtain Asc. weapons and armor. Asc. drops as a secondary means to acquire armor/weapons is a really bad joke. This status quo keeps crafting as the only means to get them, hence perpetuating the time sink or serving as a gold sink if someone wants one now and can afford to just buy everything.