Ascended Earring Costs

Ascended Earring Costs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I guess its just odd to me if ppl dislike the game why are they still on the forms in the first places? If you given up on it what they point of posting on it? I find ppl still like this game even with there complains and that why they stay arone here posting.

I do like this game. What i don’t like is the direction it is currently going, because i know, that if it continues on this path, i will eventually give up on it.

So, i continue posting on the off chance that there’s still possibility of changing that direction into one more appealing to me. Especially since i saw that other people were succesful trying that (which, by the way, was one of the things that started the whole mess).

Well do you think Ascended items are going to stop being put out? Because they are going to pull out a full set and there nothing any one can do about it. Now i do belive that they are going to make them easier over time to get the first wave of Ascended is hard to get but in time they make them far easier to get look at rings most ppl have too many of them at this point.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Ascended Earring Costs

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I don’t really care how easy or hard things are to get. If I want them, I’ll get them always.

Time gating is just an obnoxious mechanic. With time gating, you can’t try harder at something and be rewarded. You just meet the minimum requirement and that’s it.

In this case, it’s a piddly requirement. I login after dinner and knock out the daily in 15 minutes…then that’s it. Nothing else to progress it further. Kinda silly.

Ascended Earring Costs

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t really care how easy or hard things are to get. If I want them, I’ll get them always.

Time gating is just an obnoxious mechanic. With time gating, you can’t try harder at something and be rewarded. You just meet the minimum requirement and that’s it.

In this case, it’s a piddly requirement. I login after dinner and knock out the daily in 15 minutes…then that’s it. Nothing else to progress it further. Kinda silly.

Working as intended, I’m afraid. ANet tried no time gating at launch, and players raced through, got everything they wanted (except maybe a Legendary) and then complained about nothing to do. Since programmers cannot produce new content that quickly, they put in time gates.

If you’re logging in every day, even if it’s only 15 minutes, you’re still in touch with the game. Down the road, when they do produce something new, you might try it out. Some people pop back into games after months gone, but some don’t.

Ascended Earring Costs

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Commendation vendor cost for 2 ascended accessories:
2x (12 guild commendations + 5 gold) = 24 guild commendations + 10 gold
24 guild commendations are earned through performing 12 guild missions in 12 different weeks (each of which awards 2 guild commendations). This time period of 12 weeks can be halved or more if you have access to more than only Guild Bounties.
10 gold is earned partly through those same 12 guild missions (50s per guild mission x 12 guild missions = 6 gold). The remaining 4 gold must be earned in other ways.

There, quantified enough?

You make a lot of assumptions here.

You assume that the player in question will make it to EACH and every guild mission without fail.

Guilds are free to start a guild mission multiple times during a week. Every participating member can only receive the full reward (with commendations) once per week. It is really not a stretch to assume that a guild can start each mission type 3 or 4 times per week (or even daily) in order to make sure that all their members who want to participate get to participate.

Ugh, I hate feeding trolls, but here it goes.

Bottom line is, if you don’t feel like investing time in a game for whatever reason, then you shouldn’t expect to be handed free stuff.

Being a part of a guild and doing guild events requires MORE time spent than just doing dailies, since you are also most likely doing dailies ON TOP of guild events.

Time spent is a cost.

ANET has given you the option to get end game items an alternate way, which MMOs typically don’t yet you still find ways to complain about it.

ANET is not going to lose their mind and start doing things your way thankfully, so it’s rather irrelevant what your uninformed reasoning is.

Ascended Earring Costs

DeathPanel.8362

It’s better than people logging in for 24 hour epic sessions and getting all their end game gear in 1 night and having nothing else to do. You know there are some people out there like that and that’s why ANET has chosen this mechanic.

Ascended Earring Costs

IndigoSundown.5419

Being a part of a guild and doing guild events requires MORE time spent than just doing dailies, since you are also most likely doing dailies ON TOP of guild events.

Time spent is a cost.

^^^

Maximizing the yield from guild missions is going to impact your time spent — probably more than most people think. Peoples’ ability to maximize the yield of guild missions is going to be impacted by how organized or disorganized the guild is.

In disorganized guilds, you’d better be online a lot. When the mood strikes them, they’ll pop a mission and go. If you’re not on as often as the leadership, you risk being left out. Even in an organized guild, there’s no guarantee that a scheduled mission will fit your schedule.

Ascended Earring Costs

DeathPanel.8362

Time spent is a cost.

^^^

Maximizing the yield from guild missions is going to impact your time spent — probably more than most people think. Peoples’ ability to maximize the yield of guild missions is going to be impacted by how organized or disorganized the guild is.

In disorganized guilds, you’d better be online a lot. When the mood strikes them, they’ll pop a mission and go. If you’re not on as often as the leadership, you risk being left out. Even in an organized guild, there’s no guarantee that a scheduled mission will fit your schedule.

Exactly. That’s my point. Uninformed people have this whole fantasy about how it would be soooo easy to get guild recommendations when in fact it takes a ton of organization as well as online time to be sure to even take advantage of the mechanic efficiently.

People also don’t realize that you need to pay influence each time per ATTEMPT on top of the cost of unlocking it in the first place, and alot of times those events are no joke.

Ascended Earring Costs

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Time spent is a cost.

If you are also working on your dailies while doing guild missions, you are earning laurels IN ADDITION TO guild commendations in the same amount of time. Even if you spend more time in the game this way, your rewards are also nearly doubled compared to someone who is NOT in a position to earn guild commendations.

(I say “nearly” doubled, because the laurel cost for ascended earrings is higher than the guild commendation cost, because the former also costs ectoplasm.)

I have two arguments against this.
First, if you’re in this situation, the worst case scenario is that you log in, wait around for a guild mission while earning your dailies (and perhaps farming some ectoplasm), finally start on a guild mission, which then fails (not earning you anything).
The slightly less bad scenario is that you log in, wait around for a guild mission while earning your dailies (and perhaps farming some ectoplasm), and then log out again without actually doing a guild mission.
The best case scenario is that you log in, wait around for a guild mission while earning your dailies (and perhaps farming some ectoplasm), and participate in a successful guild mission (earning guild commendations).
Again, we see that even if you spend time waiting for a guild mission to start, you still gain AT LEAST as much progress towards an ascended earring as someone who only does dailies.
(I am assuming here that if a guild mission starts before your dailies are completed, you will still finish the daily achievement before logging out if the guild mission was not successful.)
(Also, note that the “best case scenario” only needs to occure once per week per mission type you want to participate in.)

My second argument consists of asking you why you even choose to be dependent on such unreliable people? Wouldn’t it be better to just look for a better organized guild, with a schedule that suits you? Also, if these people are your friends, can’t you just ask them to suit your schedule or to announce their events more in advance? Does getting rewarded for doing something unfun (i.e. begging guild officers to start a mission, badgering your brother/roommate to come online and represent) make it fun in retrospect?
For some people, the answer is no. They find the cost of being aggravated by this dependency on a large group of (possibly inconsiderate) morons to be too high, and therefore choose not be a member of a large guild. This is a conscious playstyle decision. Should these people be discriminated against by paying more for their ascended gear?

Ascended Earring Costs

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Exactly. That’s my point. Uninformed people have this whole fantasy about how it would be soooo easy to get guild recommendations when in fact it takes a ton of organization as well as online time to be sure to even take advantage of the mechanic efficiently.

A single successful guild mission rewards slightly under 1/6th of what you need for an ascended earring through the guild commendations vendor. Performing 1 week of daily achievements + farming 7 ectoplasm accomplishes about the same progress towards an ascended earring through the laurel vendor.
If the success rate of guild missions is about one in seven, I would be inclined to agree that these two efforts could be equal. However, over time and with practice guilds will get better at guild missions, needing perhaps only 2 or 3 tries at most to gain the weekly reward. Meanwhile, the time to earn a laurel is not likely to be halved or quartered over time. For this reason, I still believe that non-small guilds are having the easier time here.

People also don’t realize that you need to pay influence each time per ATTEMPT on top of the cost of unlocking it in the first place, and alot of times those events are no joke.

I already addressed how trivial the cost of 200 influence for a mission attempt is. Quoting myself:

You assume that the guild would have enough INFLUENCE to trigger those missions on the exact intervals.

Ordering a guild mission costs 200 influence. Unless this is a guild that could not afford its MF, Karma and EXP banners (which each cost the same) before the February patch, I highly doubt this is an issue.
If the guild can afford to unlock guild missions for 10,000 influence, it will have the funds to pay 200 influence per week to order a mission. Logging in with 3 different representing characters on my acount every day already earns my guild 210 influence per week. Now imagine that even half the members will do that.

Ascended Earring Costs

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Most ppl who post or say any thing feel very strong about there views i am not an exception to this nor are you.

True. This however does not mean that the counterpart (the people that feel strongly about something post here) is also true. In fact, it is not.

I guess its just odd to me if ppl dislike the game why are they still on the forms in the first places? If you given up on it what they point of posting on it? I find ppl still like this game even with there complains and that why they stay arone here posting.

because they want to fix it…

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Ascended Earring Costs

Posted by: Avatar.1923

guild mission are for hardcore gamers that are also very socially active within their guild.

you need to know people + be there whenever the majority is there.

i play 15hours a week (which is an ok amount of time for a normal player) and i am in a bug guild (maybe 200), but i didnt do 1 guild mission yet.

whatever.

Ascended Earring Costs

IndigoSundown.5419

I have two arguments against this.

First, if you’re in this situation, the worst case scenario is that you log in, wait around for a guild mission while earning your dailies (and perhaps farming some ectoplasm), finally start on a guild mission, which then fails (not earning you anything).

The slightly less bad scenario is that you log in, wait around for a guild mission while earning your dailies (and perhaps farming some ectoplasm), and then log out again without actually doing a guild mission.

The best case scenario is that you log in, wait around for a guild mission while earning your dailies (and perhaps farming some ectoplasm), and participate in a successful guild mission (earning guild commendations).

Again, we see that even if you spend time waiting for a guild mission to start, you still gain AT LEAST as much progress towards an ascended earring as someone who only does dailies.

(I am assuming here that if a guild mission starts before your dailies are completed, you will still finish the daily achievement before logging out if the guild mission was not successful.)

(Also, note that the “best case scenario” only needs to occur once per week per mission type you want to participate in.)

My second argument consists of asking you why you even choose to be dependent on such unreliable people? Wouldn’t it be better to just look for a better organized guild, with a schedule that suits you? Also, if these people are your friends, can’t you just ask them to suit your schedule or to announce their events more in advance? Does getting rewarded for doing something unfun (i.e. begging guild officers to start a mission, badgering your brother/roommate to come online and represent) make it fun in retrospect?

For some people, the answer is no. They find the cost of being aggravated by this dependency on a large group of (possibly inconsiderate) morons to be too high, and therefore choose not be a member of a large guild. This is a conscious playstyle decision. Should these people be discriminated against by paying more for their ascended gear?

While others might be inclined to farm earrings using both paths, the argument centers around whether guild missions represent significantly less time spent to get an earring than laurels/globs. It’s an either/or proposition, not a both/and. The answer is that if all goes perfectly, the time required might be significantly less for the missions path, but worst case might be longer. There is of course no ecto costs with guild missions.

Unless someone has to get these now, I suspect you’ll see those who have access to guild missions using their laurels and ectos for other things. The ecto + laurel cost was obviously a calculated move to incentivize people to do the guild missions.

Yes, I agree that the guild mission implementation was flawed. ANet knows this. Why the forum-goers have to find this out from a poster who attended the live meet and greet in Seattle is another matter. I expect they will address the guild mission issue in some fashion. However, we may not find out what they will do about it until they patch it into the game.