Ascended Gear useless after HoT?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

First off, your gear is not going to be useless as the stats are going to be adjusted upward to make up for the lost stats you got from trait lines. So reign in your doom and gloom because the proverbial sky is not falling.

Second, there won’t be a reset as it isn’t needed and definitely something they won’t do – see first point. Your gross exaggerations makes you uninformed and jumping to senseless conclusions and asking for things that just will not happen.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I wonder how you managed to spend 250-500g per piece of ascended armor.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

I wonder how you managed to spend 250-500g per piece of ascended armor.

i think when he says armors he is saying armor sets.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

No, not sure how you came up with that drastic conclusion~

If you really want the stats back that you got from Traits you can just change some trinkets around: you should have 1-2 bank boxes full of them by now.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Given that gear is now an even larger contributor to you stat point totals, Ascended gear is going to be more important than ever.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

He actually makes a valid point. His trait stats are different to his armour stats, so his stat allocation will change completely.

Posted by: Jai.3058

Jai.3058

Umm… just get trinkets for the mix of stats.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

I mean, why would ANet or anyone for that matter care what and how much you invested IN THE PAST?

It’s an expansion, which introduces NEW mechanics, so it is more than LOGICAL that there will be substantial changes to the PREVIOUS mechanics.

Sometimes I wonder where the adult people, who are supposedly the majority in GW2, are gone…

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The answer is that you can’t. After this you will be allowed to be one of 2-3 Anet approved builds. They don’t want any variations or diversity because it makes their jobs too hard.

Posted by: Jai.3058

Jai.3058

I mean, why would ANet or anyone for that matter care what and how much you invested IN THE PAST?

It’s an expansion, which introduces NEW mechanics, so it is more than LOGICAL that there will be substantial changes to the PREVIOUS mechanics.

Sometimes I wonder where the adult people, who are supposedly the majority in GW2, are gone…

I couldnt disagree more. They aint just some money hoarding nobody-gives-a-kitten-about-everybody devs, considering all of theem play and would lose what we lose or invested in.

Posted by: MeththeMadman.7420

MeththeMadman.7420

The answer is that you can’t. After this you will be allowed to be one of 2-3 Anet approved builds. They don’t want any variations or diversity because it makes their jobs too hard.

sigh There’s variation within the three trait lines you choose. That’s out of five possible. If you do the math, I believe that comes out to a crap ton of different variations of builds. Not sure how many will be viable (because I don’t know what the trait reworks are) but there will be a ton of flexibility.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The basic answer is that whatever they do, they need to make it right by existing players. If the trait stat reallocation would make is so that players post-HoT stats would be completely different than their current ones, then ANet would be responsible for allowing them to trade in their old gear for new gear at no additional cost, or something like that.

ANet is the one deciding that this is a change that needs to happen, ANet are the ones responsible for making sure that it doesn’t have any negative impacts for players.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Is this an expansion? I don’t believe so, but would be nice, if I do not buy HoT I keep my current traits.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

MeththeMadman.7420

Is this an expansion? I don’t believe so, but would be nice, if I do not buy HoT I keep my current traits.

No but this system is going to go in across the board.

I think people are going to need to wait to see what happens with it before getting frustrated. The AMA should help a bit.

I guarantee this is no where near as terrible as some believe it to be.

(edited by MeththeMadman.7420)

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

I think people are going to need to wait to see what happens with it before getting frustrated.

My frustration has nothing to do with how good or bad the new Traits will be.
It has to do that again (after the china-trait-change) Anet put’s it’s resources into something that worked best before they touched it, instead of things that urgently need work like WvW/EotM balance.

I currently think the moment HoT comes out will be the moment I stop playing GW2 as not buying HoT will make a 3rd class citizen, but I do not see a point in HoT I like to have so much that it is worth a euro.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

MeththeMadman.7420

I think people are going to need to wait to see what happens with it before getting frustrated.

My frustration has nothing to do with how good or bad the new Traits will be.
It has to do that again (after the china-trait-change) Anet put’s it’s resources into something that worked best before they touched it, instead of things that urgently need work like WvW/EotM balance.

I currently think the moment HoT comes out will be the moment I stop playing GW2 as not buying HoT will make a 3rd class citizen, but I do not see a point in HoT I like to have so much that it is worth a euro.

You never know. There may be a way through wvw for skill acquisition. That’s what I’m saying. Let’s wait and see before getting frustrated. I can definitely see your concern, though. The idea is troubling for wvw’ers.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

So basically I have 4 ascended armors speccd for WvW which have to hit different crit chance tresholds to proc their sigils and traits in the most efficent way while allocating the rest to some more vitality/toughness. The trait overhaul will render my ascended gear and my 1000-2000g I invested in them useless as well as making assassins gear for mesmer in pve undesireable. So basically I start back on ground zero! Do you plan to have an one time reset on ascended stats so we are able to reselect them? Like we got the chance with mf gear. Help would be pretty much appreciated!

Trinkets are where you need to make your change, then. Don’t know what trinkets you are running, but you can make up for the stats you lost from the trait lines with trinkets. You may have to sacrifice some Vit/Tough, but that’s vastly better than replacing your armor completely. Unless you just want to demand reparations without considering an alternative solution.

Just figure out how much actual crit chance you will lose if you trait stats are gone, then figure out how many trinkets you would need to swap over to make up for it. You may find its not nearly as bad as it seems.

This is merely conjecture of course.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Things change in MMOs…..learn to deal with it.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER!

Things change in MMOs…..learn to deal with it.

+1

A lot of people have already mentioned (elsewhere) that stat mixing is going to be more prevalent. It would make sense to swap out your equipment that doesn’t cost much than the stuff that does.

Swap out your trinkets. Weapons too, if need be.

I know that I’ll be swapping around trinkets and weapons. Some of my characters are geared to be glass cannons, others are tanks (but have traits stats to be slightly more survivable or dps-y). When trait stats are removesd, I’ll swap the trinkets between the two and things should even out a bit.

Ohoni.6057

Just figure out how much actual crit chance you will lose if you trait stats are gone, then figure out how many trinkets you would need to swap over to make up for it. You may find its not nearly as bad as it seems.

Even if it is just a factor of “swap out trinkets,” they would need to compensate people for the cost of their trinkets. I still don’t have all my characters in Exotic+ trinkets yet.

done by now.”

Draknar.5748

Yee right because counterparts always exist!

I give you some examples: my guardian is full keeper with pvt trinkets
and my thief uses valk armor with zerker trinkets.
There is no ascended trinket equivalent to both of them.
They are just not in the game.

Seriously guys! think first suggest after!
I don’t want to sacrifice all my gear just because someone thinks well let’s just turn the game around after nearly 3 years have passed.

If there would be a solution there would be no problem!

So you couldn’t equip Ascended zerker trinkets on your guardian for the crit chance, for example?

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

Even if it is just a factor of “swap out trinkets,” they would need to compensate people for the cost of their trinkets. I still don’t have all my characters in Exotic+ trinkets yet.

Ascended rings practically grow on trees, and amulets are also fairly easy to get. If living story is a good example of things to come, then it looks like ascended asscessory are also on track to be common.

Btw, living story s2 gives you an account bound exotic assceory(? the one that goes above rings) that is stat selectable. Run ls2 with 2 chars and at least one is in exotics. That should hold you over nicely until you get your new ascended, but would probably wait to select stats until expansion.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

Ohoni.6057

Ascended rings practically grow on trees, and amulets are also fairly easy to get. If living story is a good example of things to come, then it looks like ascended asscessory are also on track to be common.

What are you even talking about? Ascended rings cost 35 laurels, or 25 if you also spend a ton of badges. They are pretty expensive to replace. you can get seven unidentified dye for 35 laurels, which is like 5.6g.

Again though, cost is irrelevant so long as it is not zero. ANet is making this change, whatever the cost would be for players to correct for the change, ANet needs to pick up that tab.

done by now.”

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

What are you even talking about? Ascended rings cost 35 laurels, or 25 if you also spend a ton of badges. They are pretty expensive to replace. you can get seven unidentified dye for 35 laurels, which is like 5.6g.

Again though, cost is irrelevant so long as it is not zero. ANet is making this change, whatever the cost would be for players to correct for the change, ANet needs to pick up that tab.

35 Laurels can buy you 105 tier 6 fine crafting material or around 35 gold.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Ohoni.6057

35 Laurels can buy you 105 tier 6 fine crafting material or around 35 gold.

That too! So what’s this “rings are cheap” nonsense?

done by now.”

Draknar.5748

Then you must not fractal. Even mild fractal playing will fill up your bank with Ascended rings.

Please don’t tell me you convert your laurels to dyes to sell. That would be a real shame. T6 mats are the way to make money from laurels, that’s for sure.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Its a expansion,in many games 100% of your stuff get worthless and we get huge gold inflation.

Ohoni.6057

Then you must not fractal. Even mild fractal playing will fill up your bank with Ascended rings.

Oh God no, Fractals are awful.

Please don’t tell me you convert your laurels to dyes to sell. That would be a real shame. T6 mats are the way to make money from laurels, that’s for sure.

No, I just sort of horde them, but if I am going to spend them, I don’t want it to be on more rings than are absolutely necessary.

done by now.”

Posted by: valSe.9743

valSe.9743

Let us salvage ascended items to get mats/upgrades back introducing ascended salvage kits (no gems involved please).

Cariddi | Sylvari ele | Gandara

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

Hehe it will be so funny if that happens……Yay for being too lazy to do fractals :P

dietzero.3514

Hehe it will be so funny if that happens……Yay for being too lazy to do fractals :P

Lazy? Seriously? People are not allowed to dislike fractals now?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think we need to wait to find out how things are changing before worrying about whether a stat set or a gear set is “useless”.

• I haven’t seen details on how character stats or gear stats are changing.
  • I haven’t seen ANet address the possibility of a one-time ability to choose gear stats for existing gear and/or offer the possibility of sideways-promotion of existing ascended gear so that it gets new stats (I expect they will offer some way of spending excess skill points/scrolls).

I doubt very much if they are going to allow the system to screw up every min/max player’s carefully constructed gear sets. But … who knows, maybe they didn’t think of this yet.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

You misunderstood :/ …..I am the one who has been too lazy……

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It comes down to a simple choice really when changes come:

1) Get busy changing gear slightly.
2) Get busy changing your play-style slightly.

A little bit of both won’t do any of us any harm!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

At least you gear will be good for something. In other MMOs they raise the level cap and all new more powerful gear drops from common trash mobs hanging out by the starting portal… Making everything you had before nothing more than vendor trash – because you can’t even salvage it for mats.

Expansions have a way of resetting a lot of things. But at least everyone’s current gear will still be useful. Maybe not in the same way as before, but there will be effective builds to be had without having to start everything over.

Unless you go for the new class. :P

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So here’s a question. How do you know that the stats from the trait lines will be distributed differently between exotic and ascended? For all we know the same amount added to ascended will be the same amount added to ascended. If they went that route then the stat difference remains unchanged.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

This change will you give you more control over your stats, because you won’tbe forced to take stats you dont want just to get the traits.

Between food, arm or, weapons and trinkets you will also be able to get the exact same stat combo you have now.

How can someone who has played enough to get 4 sets of ascended armor not realise that?

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

dietzero.3514

You misunderstood :/ …..I am the one who has been too lazy……

Oh. Fair enough. Still, fractals should not be the defining factor.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Yes. If you were mix-and-matching gear to reach specific levels of stats for different attributes, then that gear will likely be obsolete. I believe you can always vendor Ascended gear for a gold.